button to main menu; 

Map Notes -- 
brief essays about a map in 
the HMCMS Map Collection   Map Notes


NOTES for HAMPSHIRE from MOGG'S ROAD BOOK, 1814.

These extracts, for Hampshire, are taken from the descriptive text in The High Roads of England and Wales by Edward Mogg, London, 1814. The book studied is in a private collection.
map type: HantsMap & Mogg 1814

Parks

The descriptive text includes entries for parks and great houses:-
AVINGTON PARK, 84, the seat of the earl of Temple. The mansion is chiefly built of brick, and is situated in a well-planted valley, surrounded with high downs, forming a singular and pleasant contrast. Some of the apartments are elegantly fitted up, and enriched by a choice collection of paintings. The park is near three miles in circumference, well diversified, containing some fine old timber, and has a handsome ornamental piece of water before the house.
BELLE VUE, 79, 91, 221, the seat of Josiah Jackson, Esq. This delightful spot is situated near Southampton, on the west side of the river Itchen. The house, a beautiful modern edifice, commands a most exquisite prospect; the shrubberies and gardens are tastefully arranged, which, together with the spacious green-house and hot-houses, contain a great variety of choice plants.
BEVIS MOUNT, 221, the seat of H. Hulton, Esq. derives its name from the celebrated Sir Bevois, the hero of Southampton. It was originally a vast pile of earth thrown up for defence, which is now laid out in pleasure grounds of the most tasteful description, the effect of which is greatly heightened by its situation, the tide, at high water, forming a beautiful bay at the foot of the eminence. This was once the residence of Southeby the poet.
BOLDERWOOD LODGE, 87, H.R.H. the Duke of Gloucester, Lord Warden of the New Forest.
BRAMSHILL PARK, 74, the seat of Sir J. Cope. The mansion is situated on a bold eminence, in a spacious Park, and forms on of the most striking features in the county of Hants. It is reported to have been built as a palace for Prince Henry, son of James the First, but never completed according to the original design; the centre part alone being finished.
BROADLANDS PARK, 86, 211, 220, the seat of Lord Viscount Palmerston. The house is a neat edifice of white brick, standing on the eastern side of the river Test, which flows through the park: it was nearly rebuilt by the late Lord Palmerston, a most eminent connoisseur of his time, who made a fine collection of paintings, which are preserved in this mansion.
BROCKENHURST HOUSE, 93, the seat of John Moraunt, Esq. (once the residence of the philanthropic Howard), is a handsome modern building, situated in a spacious park, beautifully diversified with every variety of woodland scenery.
CAMS HALL, 98,222, the seat of Mrs. Delme, is a handsome modern building, pleasantly situated on the east side of Portsmouth Harbour, with a good park.
CASTLE MALWOOD COTTAGE, 87, the seat of Col. Murray. The situation is high, and commands extensive views.
CRANBURY HOUSE, 78, the seat of Lady Holland, is an extensive mansion, commanding some good views of the surrounding country, in which the river Itchin, the Southampton water, and the Isle of Wight, are prominent and interesting features. The home scenery is very fine, and the grounds are enriched by plantations.
CUFFNELLS, 92, the pleasant residence of G. Rose, Esq. This interesting spot, surrounded by the sylvan scenery of the New Forest, possesses many peculiar advantages: boldly irregular in surface, and strikingly embellished with stately forest trees, it presents many beautiful landscapes. The house is situated on a rising ground embosomed in a wood, in the construction of which domestic comfort appears to have been particularly studied, though exterior elegance has not been altogether forgotten. The conservatory is filled with choice plants; and the library is supposed to contain the finest collection of books in the possession of any private gentleman in the kingdom. Here are also some good portraits.
ELVETHAM, 74, the seat of Gen. Gwynne. This was formerly a place of considerable extent and magnificence, and celebrated from a splendid entertainment given here by the Earl of Hertford to Queen Elizabeth, in the year 1591. The mansion, which had been considerably reduced, and greatly dilapidated from neglect, has been lately repaired, and rendered an eligible residence. The park and grounds include an area of about two miles in circumference.
HACKWOOD PARK, 75, the seat of Lord Bolton. The park is very extensive, with a surface boldly irregular, partaking of the beautiful character of the neighbouring chalk downs. The scenery is picturesque, the views being diversified by large groves of the finest forest trees, particularly oak, ash, and beech, interspersed with thorns, beautifully luxuriant and large. The house, which is situated towards the eastern boundary of the park, is encompassed by about 100 acres of pleasure grounds, disposed into lawn, terrace, shrubbery, and a noble wood. Various alterations have been made by Lord Bolton, who has greatly improved the pleasure grounds, by unfettering nature from the restraints imposed by the ancient style of gardening. In short, to enumerate the particular beauties of Hackwood Park, replete with every luxuriant embellishment that can be obtained from a happy combination of nature and art, assisted by soil and situation, would far exceed the limits of this publication. The house was originally a lodge, built in Queen Elizabeth's time, and used as a place of meeting for the company assembled for the purpose of hawking, and as a banqueting room after the sport was over. This lodge now forms the central part of the building, which, after a variety of additions and alterations, has arrived at its present excellence, being rendered, by the improvements of its noble possessor, a handsome and complete family residence. It contains some good portraits.
HALL PLACE, 96, the seat of - Dillon, Esq. The house is a neat building, pleasantly situated in a small, but elegantly diversified, park, surrounded with woody hills, interspersed with cultivated ground.
HURSLEY LODGE, 85, the seat of Sir William Heathcote, Bart. M.P. This is a substantial spacious edifice, pleasantly situated in a park well stocked with deer, and embracing extensive woods and shrubberies. It was the residence of Richard Cromwell; and, in pulling down the old manor house, on the site of which the present building is erected, the seal of the commonwealth of England was found.
HURSTBOURN PARK, 100, the beautiful seat of the Earl of Portsmouth. The mansion is situated on elevated ground, commanding various and extensive prospects: it consists of a centre, and two uniform wings, connected by colonnades with the body; the chief apartments are decorated with numerous paintings, by the best masters. The park is well wooded, and abounds with fine deer.
KEMPSHOT PARK, 75, 131, the seat of J. C. Crook, Esq. The house is a handsome brick building, standing in a spacious park, and the ancient seat of the Pink family.
NORTH STONEHAM PARK, 79, 212, the seat of Mrs. Fleming. The mansion is an old building, seated rather low, but has been much improved and enlarged. The park is extensive, and well wooded; it abounds with deer; and at the upper end has a pleasant summer-house, from which the prospects are very fine.
PAULTONS PARK, 86, the seat of Hans Sloane, Esq. The house stands in a rather secluded situation; but the park, embracing a circumference of about five miles, is beautifully wooded, and interspersed with spacious lawns.
PORTSWOOD, 79, 221, the seat of Lady Kingston. The house is a handsome building, which, from its situation on an eminence, commands fine views of the surrounding scenery, beautifully diversified with wooded meadows rising in the agreeable variety of hill and dale, among which the river Itchen, and the Southampton water, forming a spacious lake in the front of the mansion, are the most striking features. The pleasure grounds are laid out with great taste, and the shrubberies are extensive.
The house externally, has an elegant appearance; and the interior is commodious, ornamented in a style of chaste simplicity, enriched with some fine paintings.
PURBROOK PARK, 32, 214, the seat of Lord Keith. The mansion is a handsome building, with detached wings and offices, advantageously situated in a spacious park.
RED RICE, 101, the seat of Henry Errington, Esq. The house is delightfully embosomed in woods, surrounded by open downs.

button list of map notes
button map type Mogg 1814 -- menu of resources

HantsMap Notes -- MOGG3.txt
MN: 23.8.2003
last edit: 1.9.2003