button to main menu;  

Hampshire railways    Hampshire Railways

button
list of feature summaries

Andover and Redbridge Railway 1858 authorized
1865 opened
Andover and Redbridge Railway, later LSWR, the Sprat and Winkle Line, from Andover to Redbridge, Southampton, Hampshire, using the course of the Andover Canal, authorized 12 July 1858, opened 6 March 1865, new course laid 1885.
The company was incorporated to build a railway by Act of Parliament:-
21-22 Victoria cap.82 1858
23-24 Victoria cap.50 1860
25-26 Victoria cap.177 1862
and was amalgamated into the LSWR by:-
26-27 Victoria cap.109 1863
The route was from Andover Station, through Andover Town Station, Clatford Station, Fullerton Station, Stockbridge Station, Horsebridge Station, Mottisfont Station, Kimbridge Junction, Romsey Station, Nursling Station, to Redbridge Station.

Andover and Southampton Junction Railway Andover and Southampton Junction railway, proposed in 1840s.
The company was incorporated to build a railway by Act of Parliament:-
10-11 Victoria cap.115 1847

Basing and Bath Railway Basing and Bath Railway, proposed by the London and Southampton Railway as a route to link London to Bristol; rejected in favour of the Great Western Railway, GWR; proposed 1834, prospectus issued 1835, bill rejected 1835.
Route from LSWR at Basing, Hampshire; via Newbury, Berkshire; Devizes, Trowbridge, Bradford, Wiltshire; to Bath, Somserset.

Basingstoke and Alton Light Railway 1901 opened
1917 closed
1924 opened
1932 closed to passengers
1936 last train
Basingstoke and Alton Light Railway, LSWR, Basingstoke to Alton, Hampshire, opened 1 June 1901, closed 1 January 1917, reopened 18 August 1924, closed 12 September 1932.
The line was enabled by an Order of the Light Railway Commission under the Light Railways Act 1897.
It was abandonned in part by:-
23-24 George 5 cap.47 1933
The route was from Basingstoke Station, through Cliddeseden Station, Herriard Station, to Butts Junction, and Alton Station.
The line was used for filming 'The Wrecker' in 1929. The production company was Gainsborough, producer Michael Balcon, director G M Bolvary. A crash scene was filmed at Spains Crossing near Herriard, 19 August 1928, with a Foden steam lorry and SECR Stirling 4-4-0 no.148 with old SECR bogie coaches labelled United Coast Lines.
Some of the crash shots were later used in 'Seven Sinners' produced by Gaumont British, 1937.
The line was also used for filming 'Oh! Mr Porter' in 1937, with LSWR Adams 4-4-0 no.657 and Adams 0-6-0 no,3509 and other locos and stock. The film was produced by Gainsborough, director Marcel Varrel, starring Will Hay. 'Buggleskelly' in the film is Cliddesden Station. The film titles were set against shots on the LSWR London and Southampton line.

Basingstoke and Salisbury Railway 1846 authorized
1854 opened (to Andover)
1857 opened (to Salisbury)
Basingstoke and Salisbury Railway, later LSWR, from Basingstoke, Hampshire to Salisbury, Wiltshire, authorized 13 August 1846, opened 3 July 1854 to Andover, 1 May 1857 to Salisbury. NB only parts in Hampshire described below.
The company was incorporated to build a railway by Act of Parliament:-
9-10 Victoria cap.370 1846
12-13 Victoria cap.33 1849
16-17 Victoria cap.164 1853
The route ran from Basingstoke Station to Worting Junction on the existing LSWR line, then to Oakley Station, Overton Station, Whitchurch Station, Hurstbourne Station, Andover Station, Red Post Junction, Grateley Station, Newton Tony Junction in Wiltshire, and on to Salisbury.

Bentley to Bordon Light Railway 1902 authorized
1905 opened
Bentley to Bordon Light Railway, later LSWR, serving Bordon Camp, authorized 1902, opened 1905.
The route ran from Bentley Station, through Kingsley Station, to Bordon Station.

Berkshire and Hampshire Railway 1845 authorized
1848 opened
Berkshire and Hampshire Railway, later GWR, from Reading, Berkshire to Basingstoke, Hampshire, authorized 30 June 1845, opened 1 November 1848. NB only parts in Hampshire described below.
The route ran through Mortimer Station, Berkshire, through Bramley Station, to Basingstoke Station.

Bishops Waltham Railway 1862 authorized
1863 opened
1932 closed to passengers
Bishops Waltham Railway, later LSWR, from Botley to Bishops Waltham, Hampshire, authorized 17 July 1862, opened 1 June 1863, closed to passengers 31 December 1932.
The company was incorporated to build a railway by Act of Parliament:-
25-26 Victoria cap.143 1862
26-27 Victoria cap.85 1863
It was amalgamated into the LSWR by:-
26-27 Victoria cap.90 1863
The route ran from Botley Station, to Bishops Waltham Station.

Bishopstoke to Gosport branch railway Bishopstoke to Gosport branch railway, from Bishopstoke - later Eastleigh, to Gosport and then by ferry to Portsmouth, Hampshire; authorised 1839, opened 29 November 1841 and closed 4 days later, reopened 7 February 1842; part of the London and South Western Railway, LSWR; from 1923, part of the Southern Railway, SR; from 1948, part of British Railways, BR.
Only parts in Hampshire are described; 'original' names for the lines are used. The line branches from the London and Southampton Railway at Bishopstoke - Eastleigh; runs through Hedge End Station, junction with the Bishops Waltham Railway, Botley Station, Tapnage Tunnel, Knowle Junction with Meon Valley Line, new tunnel under motorway, Fareham No.2 Tunnel, junction with Southampton and Netley Railway, Fareham Station, junction with the Fareham to Cosham branch railway which is now the main route; the old main line continued through Fort Brockhurst Station, junction with Lee-on-the-Solent Light Railway, Lees Lane Junction and Gosport Junction with the Stokes Bay Railway and Pier Co, to Gosport Station; the route was continued by the Gosport Ferry to Portsmouth.
This branch is shown under construction in Bradshaw's Railway Companion 1841, called the Portsmouth Junction Railway.
The railway was authorised by Act of Parliament:-
2-3 Victoria cap.28 1839
Experimental mapping data for the line, coordinates read from OS 1 to 25000 maps of Hampshire, to try the transfer of data from MODES to tables to be plotted in MapInfo - see:-

Brockenhurst to Christchurch branch railway 1888 opened
Brockenhurst to Christchurch branch, LSWR, cut off link for Southampton to Christchurch route from Lymington Junction, Brockenhurst, Hampshire, to Christchurst, Dorset, opened 6 March 1888.
The route ran from Lymington Junction, through Sway Station, New Milton Station, Hinton Admiral Station, to Christchurch Station.

Buriton Lime Works, Buriton

Calshot RAF Railway, Fawley Narrow gauge railway; 2 foot gauge, with steam locomotives. The route was from a pier on the end of Calshot Spit to Eaglehurst Camp. The railway began as a 400 yard contractor's railway used by H Boot and Son, from a gravel pit at Eaglehurst, from about 1916-19. It developed into a line to serve the camp, run by the Air Ministry, 1919-46.
One of the steam locomotives, a Barclay 0-4-0T is now on the Talyllyn Railway, Wales, named Douglas.

Chichester to Portsmouth branch railway 1844-1845 authorized
1847 opened
1844-1845 authorized
1848 opened (both goods and passengers)
Chichester to Portsmouth extension of Brighton and Chichester railway, LBSCR and LSWR jointly, from Chichester, West Sussex to Havant then Portsmouth, Hampshire, authorized 1844-45, opened 15 March 1847 to Havant, and finally through to Portsmouth and Southsea Station 1 October 1848. NB only parts in Hampshire described below.
The route ran from West Sussex, through Emsworth Station, Warblington Halt, to Havant Station, then Bedhampton Station, Cosham Junction, Hilsea Station, Fratton Station, to Portsmouth and Southsea Station.

Dean Hill Munitions railway, East Dean 2ft 6in narrow gauge system, 7Km of line, ic locomotives.

Didcot, Newbury and Southampton Railway 1873 authorized
1885 opened
1891 opened
Didcot, Newbury and Southampton Railway, later GWR, from Didcot and Newbury, Berkshire to Winchestr , Hampshire, authorized 5 August 1873, new route 1882, opened 1 May 1885 to Winchester, linked to LSWR Southampton route 1 October 1891.
The original route ran from Berkshire, through Woodhay Station, Highclere Station, Burghclere Station, Litchfield Station, Whitchurch South Station, Sutton Scotney Station, Worthy Down Halt, Kings Worthy Station, to Winchester Chesil Station.
Later a connection was permitted, continuing the line to Shawford Junction, on the main line to Southampton.

Direct London and Portsmouth Railway The company was incorporated to build a railway by Act of Parliament:-
9-10 Victoria cap.83 1846
10-11 Victoria cap.167 1847
Arrangements with Portsmouth Railway, for winding up:-
17-18 Victoria cap.208 1854

East Hayling Light Railway

Eastleigh to Salisbury branch railway 1844 authorized
1847 opened
Eastleigh to Salisbury extension of London to Southampton Railway, LSWR, from Bishopstoke ie Eastleigh, Hampshire to Salisbury, Wiltshire, authorized 1844, opened for goods 27 January 1847, for passengers 1 March 1847. NB only parts in Hampshire described below.
The route runs from Eastleigh Station, through Chandlers Ford Station, Romsey Station, Kimbridge Junction, Dunbridge Station, West Dean Station in Wiltshire, and on to Salisbury.

Eling branch railway The Eling branch of the Southampton and Dorchester Railway was authorised by Act of Parliament:-
10-11 Victoria cap.96 1847

Fareham and Netley Railway The company was incorporated to build a railway by Act of Parliament:-
36-37 Victoria cap.136 1873
and was abandoned by:-
40-41 Victoria cap.105 1877

Fareham Railway The route was to run from Fareham to Hill Head.
The company was incorporated to build a railway by Act of Parliament:-
28-29 Victoria cap.153 1865
with an extension of time:-
31-32 Victoria cap.159 1868

Fareham to Cosham branch railway 1848 opened
Fareham to Cosham connecting branch, Hampshire, LSWR, opened 1 September 1848.
The route runs from Fareham Station, across Quay Street Railway Viaduct, and Cams Hill Railway Viaduct, through Portchester Station, Cosham Station, to Cosham Junction.

Farnham to Alton branch railway 1852 opened
Farnham to Alton branch, LSWR, continuing the line from Guildford via Farnham, Surrey to Alton, Hampshire, opened 28 July 1852. NB only parts in Hampshire described below.
The LSWR was authorised to build this branch by Act of Parliament:-
9-10 Victoria cap.173 1846
12-13 Victoria cap.33 1849
The route was through Ash Vale Station in Surrey, through Aldershot Station, Farnham Station in Surrey, Bentley Station, to Alton Station.

Fawley Power Station Tunnel, Fawley A 10foot diameter tunnel runs under Southampton Water carrying power cables from the power station to the eastern part of Hampshire. From late 1960s to late 1970s, tunnel maintenance once used a railway, 3ft 1 1/8in gauge, with a battery locomotive.

Fawley Refinery Railway, Fawley Narrow gauge railway; 2foot gauge, initially with steam locomotives but latterly worked with internal combustion engines. The railway was first a contractor's tramroad used to transport materials from a wharf at Ashlett Creek for building the refinery. It the served the refinery for further construction work and for internal movements of stores and equipment, run first by Anglo Gulf West Indies Petroleum, and latterly by Esso Petroleum Co.
One of the ic locomotives, a Motor Rail 20hp engine is now owned by the Hampshire Narrow Gauge Railway Society.

Griggs Green Brickworks, Bramshott and Liphook Auction catalogue of the sale of the works, 1915, included 4 clay trucks and 1130 yards of tramway metals. The gauge was probably 3 feet.

Hamble BP branch railway Hamble BP branch railway; from a junction just east of Hamble Station, to a BP oil tank farm on the coast.

Havant Railway The route was to run from Langstone to Havant.
Powers were ganted to the Hayling Railway by Act of Parliament:-
14-15 Victoria cap.68 1851

Hayling Railway 1860 authorized
1865 opened (goods only)
1867 opened (passengers)
Hayling Railway, the Hayling Billy Line, LBSCR, from Havant to Hayling Island, Hampshire, authorized 23 July 1860, opened to goods 1865, and to passengers 17 July 1867.
The company was incorporated to build a railway by Act of Parliament:-
23-24 Victoria cap.166 1860
27-28 Victoria cap.177 1864
30-31 Victoria cap.189 1867
Lease to the LBSCR see:-
37-38 Victoria cap.54 1874
The route ran from Havant Station, through Langston Station, North Hayling Station, to Hayling Island Station.

Highbridge Gravel Pit, Colden Common The gravel pit was served by a 2foot narrow gauge railway worked by the Totton Sand and Ballast Co.

Hilsea Gasworks Railway, Portsmouth
standard gauge railway serving Hilsea Gasworks, Portsmouth, Hampshire

Hurst Castle railway Hurst Castle has a narrow gauge, 18inch? hand worked railway line to serve shells from magazines to the large guns, and to move shells etc from the nearby jetty to the magazines.

Hurstbourne to Fullerton branch railway 1882 authorized
1885 opened
1931 closed to passengers
Hurstbourne to Fullerton branch, LSWR, cut off for London to Southampton route, from Hurstbourne, Hurstbourne Priors, to Fullerton Junction, Wherwell, Hampshire, authorized 1882, opened 1 June 1885; closed to passengers 6 July 1931.
The route ran from Hurstbourne Station, through Longparish Station, Wherwell Station, to Fullerton Station.

Hythe Pier Railway Hythe Pier has a 'victorian' narrow gauge electric railway to take passengers from the shore to the pier head, to catch the Hythe Ferry.

Lee-on-the-Solent Light Railway 1893 authorized
1894 opened
1931 closed to passengers
1935 last train
Lee-on-the-Solent Light Railway, later LSWR, from Fort Brockhurst to Lee-on-the-Solent, Gosport, Hampshire, authorized 11 July 1893, opened 12 May 1894, closed to passengers 1 January 1931, last train ran 28 September 1935.
Authorised 1893 and by the Light Railway Commission under the Light Railway Act 1896, and by Act of Parliament:-
9 Edward 7 cap.99 1909
Certificated by the Board of Trade under the Railways Construction Facilities Act 1864, in 1890. Charges for merchandise were set out in:-
59-60 Victoria cap.165 1896
The route ran through Fort Brockhurst Station, Fort Gomer Halt, Browndown Halt, to Lee-on-the-Solent Station.

London and Salisbury Junction Railway London and Salisbury Junction Railway, proposed from the London and Southampton Railway near Hook Pit farm, Kingsworthy, Hampshire to Salisbury, Wiltshire, plans published 1838
The 8 sheets of deposited plans of the proposed line show plans of the route, elevations along the route, cross sections at road crossings, etc, drawn by Francis Giles, civil engineer.
The route was to run through the parishes of Kings Worthy, Headbourne Worthy, Littleton and Harestock, Crawley, Little Somborne, Kings Somborne, Bossington, Mottisfont, East Tytherley, and East Dean, in Hampshire, then into Wiltshire to Salisbury.

London and Southampton Railway London and Southampton Railway, from London to Southampton, Hampshire; authorized 25 July 1834, open Nine Elms - Vauxhall to Woking Common 19 May 1838 with a public opening 21st, from there to Shapley Heath - Winchfield 24 September 1838, from there to Basingstoke and the section from Winchester to Southampton 10 June 1839, and completed by the section Basingstoke to Winchester 11 May 1840; the London end was extended to Waterloo 11 July 1848. The railway was renamed the London and South Western Railway, LSWR, 1839; became part of the Southern Railway, SR, from 1923; and part of British Railways, BR, from 1948.
The company was incorporated to build a railway by Act of Parliament:-
4-5 William 4 cap.88 1834
7 William 4 and 1 Victoria cap.71 1837
The railway was the foundation of the LSWR; it was renamed that in part of:-
2-3 Victoria cap.28 1839
The railway was merged into the Southern Railway by:-
11-12 George 5 cap.55 sch.1 1921
and acquired by the British Transport Commission by:-
10-11 George 6 cap.49 sch.3 part 1 1947
Only parts in Hampshire are described in detail; 'original' names for the lines are used. The line enters Hampshire on a railway viaduct over the Blackwater River, Rushmoor; runs through Farnborough Station, Fleet Station, Winchfield Station, Hook Station, Basinstoke GWR Junction with Berkshire and Hampshire Railway, Basingstoke Station, junction with Basingstoke and Alton Light Railway - gone, Worting Junction and Battledown Flyover over the Basingstoke and Salisbury Railway, Litchfield Tunnel, Popham No.1 Tunnel, Popham No.2 Tunnel, Micheldever Station, Wallers Ash Tunnel, junctions and crossing at Kings Worthy with Didcot, Newbury and Southampton Railway and Mid Hants Railway - both gone, Winchester Station, junction with Didcot, Newbury and Southampton Railway - gone, Shawford Station, junction with Eastleigh and Salisbury Railway, Eastleigh Station, junction with Bishopstoke to Gosport branch railway, Southampton Parkway Station for Southampton Airport at Eastleigh, Swaythling Station, St Denys's Station, junction with Southampton and Netley branch railway, junction with Southampton and Dorchester Railway (now the main route to Southampton Central Station), to Southampton Terminus Station which is now gone, but the site is the on the freight line to Ocean Terminal.
Experimental data, Mapping data for the line, is recorded in separate records. The coordinates were read from OS 1 to 25000 maps of Hampshire. The data is recorded to try the transfer of data from MODES to 'tables' to be plotted in a GIS system, MapInfo. See:-

London, Salisbury and Yeovil Railway London, Salisbury and Yeovil Railway, company formed by Andover residents, 1845, but that's all that happened?
Route from Worting to Whitchurch, Andover, Hampshire; to Salisbury, Wiltshire

London, Sussex, Hampshire railway The Surrey Iron Railway was authorised 21 may 1801, 41 Geo III cap.3, the first Act for a public railway independent of a canal. There were further acts empowering raising more money; 12 March 1805, 45 Geo III cap.5 and 3 July 1806, 46 geo III cap.94. It was a 4ft 2in gauge plateway; engineer William Jessop, running about 9 miles from the Thames at Wandsworth to Croydon, with a branch to Carshalton. The main line opened 26 July 1803, the branch on 1 June 1804. It was closed 31 August 1846, and lifted 1848.
The Croydon, Merstham and Godstone extension was authorised 17 May 1803, opened to Merstham 24 July 1805, closed 1838.
William Jessop's report, 1800:-
A meeting of the Surrey Iron Railway committe, 3 June 1802, engaged Jessop and others to survey a route from Croydon to Reigate as the first step in a line to Portsmouth.
The next meeting, 29 September 1802, asked William Jessop and his son Josiah to make plans for a continuation to

Longmoor Military Railway 1906 opened
Longmoor Military Railway, serving Longmoor Camp, Whitehill, Hampshire, from Bordon and from Liss, opened October 1906.
The route ran from Bordon Station, through Longmoor Camp, and Liss Forest Station.
The line was used for filming 'Runaway Railway' produced by Fanfare Films 1965, producer George Brown, director Jan Darley-Smith. Army department 0-6-0ST no.196 Errol Lonsdale was named Matilda for the film.

Lymington branch railway The Lymington branch of the Southampton and Dorchester Railway was authorised by Act of Parliament:-
10-11 Victoria cap.96 1847

Lymington Railway 1856 authorized
1858 opened
1884 opened
Lymington Railway, later LSWR, from Lymington Junction, Brockenhurst to Lymington, Lymington and Pennington, Hampshire, plus ferry to Isle of Wight, authorized 7 July 1856, opened to the town station 12 July 1858, and to the pier 1 May 1884.
The company was incorporated to build a railway by Act of Parliament:-
19-20 Victoria cap.71 1856
and for the acquisition of the feryy:-
22-23 Victoria cap.15 1859
27-28 Victoria cap.120 1864
The route runs from Lymington Junction, through Lymington Town Station, to Lymington Pier Station.

Marchwood Gravel Pit, Marchwood The gravel pit was served by a 2foot narrow gauge railway worked by the Totton Sand and Ballast Co.

Meon Valley Railway 1897 authorized
1903 opened
Meon Valley Railway, branch of the LSWR, from Alton to Fareham, Hampshire, authorized 1897, opened 1 June 1903.
The company was incorporated to build a railway by Act of Parliament:-
60-61 Victoria cap.35 1897
2 Edward 7 cap.31 1902
The route ran from Butts Junction at Alton, through Tisted Station, Privett Station, West Meon Station, Droxford Station, Wickham Station, to Knowle Junction at Wickham.

Mid Hants Railway 1861 authorized
1865 opened
Alton, Alresford and Winchester Railway, later Mid Hants Railway, then LSWR, joining existing routes, from Alton to Winchester, Hampshire, authorized 28 June 1861, opened 2 October 1865.
The Alton, Alresford and Winchester Railway Co was incorporated to build a railway by Act of Parliament:-
24-25 Victoria cap.111 1861
With an extension of time, and change of name to the Mid Hants Railway:-
27-28 Victoria cap.298 1864
It was transferred to the LSWR by:-
39-40 Victoria cap.213 1876
43-44 Victoria cap.183 1880
and the original company dissolved:-
44-45 Victoria cap.209 1881
The route ran from Alton Station, through Butts Junction, Medstead and Four MarksStation, Alresford Station, Itchen Abbas Station, to Winchester Station.

Nursling Gravel Pit, Nursling and Rownhams The gravel pit was served by a 2 foot narrow gauge railway worked by the Totton Sand and Ballast Co.

Park Prewett Hospital Railway Park Prewett Hospital Railway, built privately, linking the LSWR to the hospital, about 1913; operated by LSWR to 1923, then by the Southern Railway; closed 21 May 1954

Petersfield and Bishops Waltham Railway The company was incorporated to build a railway by Act of Parliament:-
27-28 Victoria cap.310 1864

Petersfield Railway 1863 authorized
1864 opened
1955 closed to passengers
Petersfield railway, later LSWR, from LBSCR at Midhurst, West Sussex to Petersfield, Hampshire, authorized 1860, opened 1 September 1864; closed to passengers 5 February 1955. NB only parts in Hampshire described below.
The company was incorporated to build a railway by Act of Parliament:-
23-24 Victoria cap.173 1860
24-25 Victoria cap.224 1861
and amalgamated into the LSWR by:-
26-27 Victoria cap.90 1863
The route ran from West Sussex, to Petersfield Station.

Pollock Brown and Co Railway, Southampton standard gauge railway serving Pollock Brown and Co works, Northam, Southampton, Hampshire

Portsdown and Horndean Light Railway Light railway south of Cosham Station to near Horndean.
Authorised by an Order of the Light Railway Commission under the Light Railway Act 1896, in 1899.
The route was from a junction with the street tramway system on the Portsmouth Road, south of Cosham Station, Portsmouth, going north and north east, skirts Cosham and becomes street railway along the London Road, passes a railway depot,and stopped short of Horndean.

Portsmouth and Hayling Railway The company was incorporated to build a railway by Act of Parliament:-
50 Victoria cap.47 1887

Portsmouth Junction Railway Portsmouth Junction Railway, company formed, line surveyed 1836, company dissolved 1838.
Route from LSWR at Bishopstoke, via Botley, Fareham, to Portsmouth, Hampshire

Portsmouth Railway 1853 authorized
1859 opened
Portsmouth Railway, later LSWR, from Goldalming, Surrey, to LBSCR at Havant, Hampshire, authorized 8 July 1853, opened Woking to Guildford 5 May 1845, to Godalming 15 October 1849, to Havant 1 January 1859; Havant to Portsmouth had opened 14 June 1847. NB only parts in Hampshire described below.
The company was incorporated to build a railway by Act of Parliament:-
16-17 Victoria cap.99 1853
with additional powers:-
17-18 Victoria cap.186 1854
17-18 Victoria cap.206 1854
18-19 Victoria cap.177 1855
20-21 Victoria cap.18 1857
Arrangements with the Direct London to Portsmouth Railway were made by:-
17-18 Victoria cap.208 1854
An extension to Hilsea authorised:-
21-22 Victoria cap.101 1858
Transfer to the LSWR:-
22-23 Victoria cap.31 1859
The route runs through Haslmere Station in Surrey, through Liphook Station, Liss Station, Petersfield Station, Rowlands Castle Station, Havant Station, and continues to Portsmouth.

Portsmouth Waterside extension railway 1876 opened
Portsmouth Waterside extension of the Chichester to Portsmouth branch railway to Portsmouth Harbour, LBSCR and LSWR, opened 2 October 1876.
The route runs from Portsmouth and Southsea Station, to Portsmouth Harbour Station.

Priddy's Hard 18inch railway Priddy's Hard ordnance depot had an 18inch gauge tramroad for moving ammunition around, from mid 19th century to 1900s?

Priddy's Hard 30inch railway Priddy's Hard ordnance depot had a 30inch gauge tramroad for moving ammunition around, from about 1900s-70s.

Priddy's Hard, Frater and Bedenham Railway The Priddy's Hard, Frater and Bedenham Railway was laid 1912-13. It connected with the LSWR (Bishopstoke to Gosport branch railway), crossed the Gosport-Fareham road at a level crossing by the main gate of Frater Depot, and served Bedenham Depot, and Priddy's Hard Royal Naval Armaments Depot.
(My best guess for the LSWR connection is SU58880245.)

Reading, Guildford and Reigate Railway 1846 authorized
1849 opened
Reading, Guildford and Reigate Railway, later SER, from Reading, Berkshire, throught the edge of Hampshire, to Guildford and Reigate, Surrey, authorized 16 July 1846, opened 4 July 1849. NB only parts in Hampshire described below.
The route includes Sandhurst Halt in Berkshire, Blackwater Station, Farnborough North Station, North Camp Station, and Ash Station in Surrey.

Ringwood, Christchurch and Bournemouth Railway 1859 authorized
1862 opened
1870 opened
Ringwood, Christchurh and Bournemouth Railway, with the LSWR, from Ringwood, Hampshire to Christchcurch, Dorset authorized 8 August 1859, and to Bournemouth authorized 1863, opened to Christchurch 13 November 1862, to Bournemouth 14 March 1870.
The company was incorporated to build a railway, to Christchurch, by Act of Parliament:-
22-23 Victoria cap.95 1859
Powers to extend to Bournemouth:-
26-27 Victoria cap.134 1863
Transferred to LSWR by:-
26-27 Victoria cap.90 1863
36-37 Victoria cap.68 1873
The route runs from Ringwood Station, through Dorset at Hurn Station, Christchurch Station, Pokesdown Station.

Royal Ordnance Factory Railway, Rushmoor 1968 closed
Standard gauge railway, running along roads, from Farnborough Station to the Royal Ordnance Factory, closed 1968.

Royal Pier extension railway 1891 opened
1914 closed
Royal Pier extension railway serving the liner terminal, LSWR, Southampton Docks, Southampton, Hampshire, opened 1891, closed 1914.

Royal Victoria Hospital branch railway 1900 opened
Branch line from Netley Station to the Royal Victoria Hospital, Hound, opened 1900.

Salisbury and Dorset Junction Railway 1861 authorized
1866 opened
Salisbury and Dorset Junction railway, later LSWR, from Salisbury, Wiltshire, through Hampshire, towards Poole, Dorset, authorized 22 July 1861, opened 20 December 1866; NB only parts in Hampshire described below.
The route passed through Downton Station in Wiltshire, Breamore Station, Fordingbridge Station, and Alderholt Station in Dorset, etc.

Solent tunnel and railway Construction of a Solent tunnel and railway was authorised by Act of Parliament:-
1 Edward 7 cap.99 1901

South Western and Isle of Wight Junction Railway Bill presented to Parliament in early 1910s, failed; scheme then interrupted by Word War I; revived in 1920s; came to nothing. Frank Aman of Totland Bay was very much involved.

Southampton and Dorchester Railway 1845 authorized
1847 opened
Southampton and Dorchester Railway, Castleman's Corkscrew or The Watersnake, later LSWR, from Southampton, Hampshire to Dorchester, Dorset, authorized 1845, opened 1 June 1847. NB only parts in Hampshire described below.
The company was incorporated to build a railway by Act of Parliament:-
8-9 Victoria cap.93 1845
Purchase and amalgamation into then LSWR see:-
9-10 Victoria cap.131 1846
11-12 Victoria cap.89 1848
The route runs from Northam Junction at Southampton, through Southampton Central Station, Millbrook Station, Redbridge Station, Totton Station, Lyndhurst Road Station, Beaulieu Road Station, Brockenhurst Station, passes Lymington Junction, then Holmsley Station, Ringwood Station, to West Moors Station in Dorset, etc.

Southampton and Netley Railway 1861 authorized
1866 opened
1889 opened
Southampton and Netley Railway, later LSWR, from Southampton to Netley, Hampshire, authorized 1 August 1861, opened 5 March 1866, extended to Fareham 1889.
The company was incorporated to build a railway by Act of Parliament:-
24-25 Victoria cap.220 1861
26-27 Victoria cap.70 1863
Amalgamation into the LSWR see:-
27-28 Victoria cap.174 1864
27-28 Victoria cap.227 1864
The route runs from St Denys Station at Southampton, through Bitterne Station, Woolston Station, Sholing Station, to Netley Station; then on through Hamble Halt, Bursledon Station, Swanwick Station, to Fareham Station.

Southampton and Winchester Great Western Junction Railway A company was incorporated to build the Southampton and Winchester Great Western Junction Railway by Act of Parliament:-
1 Edward 7 cap.274 1901
and abandoned by:-
5 Edward 7 cap.4 1905

Southsea Railway 1880 authorized
1885 opened
1914 closed
Southsea Railway, later LSWR, from Fratton to Southsea, Portsmouth, Hampshire, authorized 26 August 1880, opened 1 July 1885; closed 6 August 1914.
The company was incorporated to build a railway by Act of Parliament:-
43-44 Victoria cap.203 1880
46-47 Victoria cap.160 1883
Sale or lease to the LSWR and LBSCR was authorised by:-
46-47 Victoria cap.189 1883
The route ran from Fratton Station, to East Southsea Station.

Stokes Bay light railway, Gosport The tramroad was 2 foot gaue, connecting Fort Blockhouse, Fort Monckton and Fort Gilkicker to Stokes bay Pier, to carry stores and ammunition. It was built in the late 1880s- early 1890s by the Royal Engineers. The line was abandoned after Worl War I, and the iron and steel salvaged just before Word War II.
The lines used several steam locomotives; and also had sail trolleys, flat trucks powered by a sail, for passengers.
The route was from Stokes Bay Pier eastwards, passing north of Fort Gilkicker, along the bank of Gilkicker Lake, on to Fort Blockhouse, with a branch to Fort Monckton.

Stokes Bay Railway and Pier Co 1855 authorized
1863 opened
1915 last train
Stokes Bay Railway and Pier Co, later LSWR, from Gosport to Stokes Bay, Hampshire, owned pier for Isle of Wight ferries, authorized 14 August 1855, opened 6 April 1863, last train 31 October 1915.
The company was incorporated to build a railway by Act of Parliament:-
18-19 Victoria cap.192 1855
with extensions of time by:-
21-22 Victoria cap.50 1858
22-23 Victoria cap.65 1859
The line was sold to the Admiralty in 1922; the link with pier replaced by narrow gauge railway.
The route ran from Gosport Junction, through Stokes Bay Junction, to Stokes Bay Pier.

Swindon, Grafton and Marlborough Railway 1873 authorized
1882 opened
Swindon, Grafton and Marlborough Railway, later MSWJR, from Swindon, Wiltshire to Andover Junction, Hampshire, authorized 21 July 1873, opened 1 May 1883 in parts. NB: only parts in Hampshire described below.
The route runs through Ludgershall Station in Wiltshire, through Weyhill Station, to Andover Station.

Totton, Hythe and Fawley Light Railway 1903 authorized
1921 authorized
1925 opened
Totton, Hythe and Fawley Light Railway, authorized 1903 for LSWR, re-empowered independently 1921-23, from Totton to Fawley, Hampshire, opened 25 July 1925.
The route runs from a junction in Totton and Eling, through Hythe Station, to Fawley Station.

See:-
Norgate, Martin: 2002: Hampshire Railways: Hampshire CC Museums Service

www.geog.port.ac.uk/webmap/hantsgaz/

button list of feature summaries