button to main menu; 

Map Notes -- 
brief essays about a map in 
the HMCMS Map Collection   Map Notes


Wyld 1839
button 
to 1st map described 

NOTES from WYLD'S LONDON AND SOUTHAMPTON RAILWAY GUIDE, 1839

FA1999.71 & B1992.177  
FA1999.71.1 & B1992.177.1  
These notes are taken from The London and Southampton Railway Guide, with railway map and diagrams, published by James Wyld, Charing Cross East, London, 1839. The guide books studied are in the Map Collection and Library Collection of Hampshire CC Museums Service, items HMCMS:FA1999.71 and HMCMS:B1992.177
map type: HantsMap & Wyld 1839
The guide book size is: wxh = 9.5x15cm. The notes are made for Hampshire interest; detail of some other areas might be ignored.

Cover

The cover is printed gold on dark green with a picture of a locomotive:-
WYLD'S SOUTH WESTERN / LONDON AND SOUTHAMPTON RAILWAY GUIDE / PORTSMOUTH, ISLE OF WIGHT, & THE CHANNEL ISLANDS

Title Page

The title page of the guide book reads:-
THE LONDON AND SOUTHAMPTON Railway Guide, CONTAINING A TOPOGRAPHICAL, ANTIQUARIAN, AND GEOLOGICAL ACCOUNT OF THE COUNTRY AND OF THE TOWNS AND VILLAGES WITHIN TEN MILES OF THE RAILWAY; WITH A GUIDE TO THE ENVIRONS OF SOUTHAMPTON, THE ISLES OF WIGHT, JERSEY, AND GUERNSEY, AND THE OPPOSITE COAST OF FRANCE.
LONDON: PUBLISHED BY JAMES WYLD, GEOGRAPHER TO THE QUEEN, CHARING CROSS EAST, FOUR DOORS FROM TRAFALGAR SQUARE 1839.

London and South Western Railway

The London and Southampton Railway was authorised by Act of Parliament, 25 July 1834, and opened in stages 1838-40. This guide book was prepared and published while the railway was still being built.
The first section from a terminus at Nine Elms, Vauxhall, London to Woking Common, Surrey, opened 19 May 1838, with a public opening on the 21st May. From Woking to Shapley Heath, near Winchfield, Hampshire opened 24 September 1838. Sections from Winchfield to Basingstoke and Winchester to a terminus at Southampton, Hampshire opened 10 June 1839. The line was completed by the Basingstoke to Winchester section, Hampshire, opened 11 May 1840. The line was extended to the terminus at Waterloo, still familiar to travellers from Hampshire to London, 11 July 1848.
Initial authorisation was from the act 4-5 William cap.88 1834, and further by act 7 William IV and 1 Victoria cap.71 1837. The act 2-3 Victoria cap.28 1839 renamed the company the London and South Western Railway, LSWR. By act 11-12 George V cap.55 1921 the railway was merged into the Southern Railway, SR; and acquired by the British Transport Commission by act 10-11 George VI cap.49 1947.
A commentator in 1834 described as likely to carry only parsons from Winchester and prawns from Southampton; so to some it became the Parsons and Prawns Line.
Detail notes about the route are given in a series of records in Old Hampshire Gazetteer (HANTSLOC.mdf), or see:-

To Cross the Channel

The LSWR saw itself as a route to the docks for a ferry to cross to France. Among various other maps in the guide book is a map of the English Channel, showing the coast of Hampshire, the Isle of Wight, Channel Islands, and coast of France, with railways and ferry routes.

button map type Wyld 1839 -- menu of resources
button LSWR railway map -- WLD1MAP.txt
button source item -- HMCMS:FA1999.71 & B1992.177 -- map
button source item -- HMCMS:FA1999.71.1 & B1992.177.1 -- map

button list of map notes

HantsMap Notes -- WYLD1.txt
MN: 12.12.2002
last edit: 14.12.2002