Kitchin's Hampshire 1751
Kitchin's 1751 large map has number of panels of text including
- Earls and Dukes of Southampton
- Seats of the Nobility
- Livings in the Town of Southampton
- Livings in the City of Winchester
- and descriptions of towns, and some other features
Earls & Dukes of Southampton.
1537. William Fitzwilliam, Lord Admiral.
Seats of Nobility &c.
1547. Thomas Wriothsley, Lord Chancellor, succeeded by Henry, and
in 1581 by another Henry, and he by Thomas Wriothsley, Lord
Treasurer, in 1624.
1670. Barbara Villiers, Wife of Roger Palmer Earl of Castlemain,
was created Countess of Southampton. Charles Palmer, her
illegitimate son by King Charles II. was created Duke in 1675.
1730. He dying was succeeded by his eldest survivd. Son William Duke
of Cleveland and Southampton, who married Lady Harriot Finch, but he
is now a Widower and without Issue.
Duke of Bolton, at Hawkwood and Basing.
Livings in the Town of Southampton.
Duke of Chandois, at Biddesden.
Earl of Anglesey, at Farnburgh.
Earl of Portsmouth, at Husbands.
Earl of Shaftesbury, at Rockburn.
Ld. Anson, at Soberton.
Ld. Delawar, at Boldrewood.
Ld. Mountjoy, at Moyles Court.
Ld. Talbot, at Redrice.
Barrington Bt. at Swainston.
Heathcot Bt. at Hursley.
Oglander Bt. at Nunwell.
Steward Bt. at Hartley.
Tichburn Bt. at Tichburn.
Wolsley Bt. at Chilton.
Mr. Delmy, at Quarley and Titchfield.
Mr. Henley, at Grange near Alresford.
Mr. Summner, at Longwood.
Mr. Whithed, at Southwick.
All Saints ... ... ... ... ... R
Livings in the City of Winchester.
Jesus ... ... ... ... ... ... Ch
St. Johns ... ... ... ... ... R
St. Laurence . ... ... ... ... R
St. Michael .. ... ... ... ... V
St. Bartholomew .. ... ... ...
St. John . ... ... ... ... ... R
St. Laurence . ... ... ... ... R
St. Maurice .. ... ... ... ... R
St. Michael .. ... ... ... ...
St. Peter Cheese-Hill ... ...
St. Swithin over KingsGate ...
St. Thomas ... ... ... ... ...
Trinity .. ... ... ... ... ...
The text panels are transcribed her in alphabetical order of place
name. On the map they are fitted into available spaces.
Andover gives Title of Vicount to the Earl of Berkshire.
Basing gives Title of Baron St. John to His Grace the Duke of
Bolton, whose Seat here was built by his Ancestor John, Marquis
of Winchester; out of the Ruins of Basing House, which was formerly
a Garrison for King Charles the first, & was often besieg'd by
the Parliament in vain: but taken by Storm by Oliver Cromwell, Octr.
14. 1645. and the Marquis with 400 others imprison'd. The Marquis
from its gallant Defence call'd the House Love Loyalty, which he
caus'd to be written on every Window of it; & those words in
French Aimez Loyaute, have been ever since the Motto of the family.
Gosport is a Town of great Trade, having communication with
Portsmouth by Boats, passing from one to the other.
Hampshire affords plenty of Corn, Cattle, Wool, Wood, and Iron, but
is particularly esteem'd for its excellent Honey and Bacon.
Its Manufactures are Kersies & Stuffs; The Air is temperate, and
the Soil fertile in all sorts of Grain. As its Coasts furnish
Oysters, Lobsters, and other Salt -water Fish, so its Rivers abound
in fresh Fish, especially Trouts. Here are many convenient
Harbours which bring a great Foreign trade to it. And indeed, there
is not a more inviting County in Great Britain, as well for Profit
Hurst Castle was built by King Henry VIII. for the Defence of
New Forest. King Chs. I. was imprison'd here three weeks. This
with Calshot, St. Andrews, and Netley Castles, are a perfect Security
to the Bay of Southampton.
Kingsclear is noted for having been the Seat of the Saxon Kings.
Lymington gives Title of Vicount to Jno. Wallop, so created by his
late Majesty King George I.
New Forest was so call'd by William the Conqueror, who destroy'd
all that part of the Country for thirty Miles round, which
contain'd many Towns, Villages, & Churches; two of his Sons
viz. Richard, & Willm. Rufus both lost their Lives in this
Forest. In the last Century it was well stock'd with all sorts of Deer, & the Stags were very large.
Odiam was formerly of Note for its Royal Palace and strong Castle,
which in K. John's time was defended against Lewis the Dauphin,
& the Barons Army, for 15 Ds. by 13 Men only. In the Reign of
Edwd. III. David K. of Scots was kept prisoner here: It was the
Birth place of that famous Grammarian, Mr. Willm. Lilly Master of
St. Paul's School.
Portsmouth is a famous Port strongle fortified; The Harbour is so
large & good that all the Men of War in Europe may safely ride
there together: 'Tis a Place of good Trade, very populace, &
a Nursery for Seamen. Louisa de Queronaille was created by Chas. II.
in 1673, Baroness of Petersfield, Countess of Farham, & Dutchess
of Portsmouth, all in this Shire. Wallop Vict. Lymington was created
El. of Portsmouth 1744.
Ringwood a large thriving Town, stands in a Valley well water'd by
the Streams of the River Avon. The Manufactures of this Town
are Druggets, narrow Cloths, Stockings, and Leather, and its Market
is well supplied with Corn, and Cattle. Near this place, the Duke
of Monmouth was taken by one Perkin, as he lay hid in a Ditch
cover'd with Fern in July 1685, just after his Defeat at the Battle
Rumsey gave Birth to that great mathematician Sr. Wm. Petty, from
whom the Barons of Shelburn of Ireland are descended.
Silchester is the Ruins of the antient City of Vindomia or
Vindonum, said to have been built by Constantius, Son of Constantine
Southampton the County Town, is accommodated with a large Harbour
and Quay, & carries on a good Trade to Newfoundland, Portugal,
and Jersey; 'twas here that King Canute ridicul'd his
flattering Courtiers by commanding (tho' in vain) the Tide not
to approach his Feet. It is a very old Town, and consists of one
large long Street, and is wall'd with the Honey-comb Rock Stone the
most durable of any, & it had a good Castle, built by King
Richard II all of fine free Stone, for the Defence of the Town
& Harbour, but it is now demolish'd. Here are 5
Parish-Churches, & an Hospital call'd God's House.
At Southwick King Henry VI. was married to the Duke of Anjou's
Daughter. It has ever since the Reign of Queen Eliz. been the Seat
of the Nortons, some of whom have been Sheriffs, and
others Representatives in Parliament for this County. The last of
them Col. Richd. Norton dying in Decr. 1732, made an extraordinary
Will, by which he left his real Estate of 6000l. a Year and a
personal one computed at 60000l. to the poor, hungry, and
thirsty, naked, and strangers, sick, and wounded, and prisoners, to
the end of the World: appointing the Parliament his Executors, and
in case of their refusal the Bishops, leaving all his Pictures an
other moveables to the King: Trustees were soon appointed to inspect
the Premises, but the Will carried in it such evdient marks of
Insanity, that it was soon after laid aside.
Spithead and St. Helens is the general Renezvous of the Royal Navy.
Upper, Middle, & Nether Wallop, give Name and Title of Baron, to
the Antient and Honourable Family of the Lord Vicount Lymington; one
of whom viz. Sir John Wallop in 1513 fitted out some Ships, &
with 800 Men burn'd 21 Towns in Normandy, and all the French Ships
in the Ports of Naples, Tripoli, &c. in revenge for
Piracies committed in the British Seas, by one of the Knts. of Malta.
Weyhill tho a poor Village, with a desolate Church & hardly a
House about it, yet is of Note for one of the greatest Fairs in
England, for Hops Cheese &c. & for Sheep there is not so
great one, especially Dorsetshire Ewes for store Sheep.
Winchester is a City of great Antiquity, and the richest Bishoprick
in England. Its Cathedral was built by William of Wickham Prelate
of this See, who found a noble College here to fit out Youth for
New College in Oxford, which he also founded; He likewise built
several Free-Schools, Hospitals, &c. here. This is the
Assize-Town. Willm. Pawlett El. of Wiltshire & Lord High
Treasurer of England, was made Marquis of Winchester by Edward VI.
& was since made Duke of Bolton by King William the third: and
the Title of Marguis (sic) is still in the possession of the Duke
of Bolton's eldest Son.