button to main menu   Old Cumbria Gazetteer
placename:- Brantwood
parish Coniston parish, once in Lancashire
county:- Cumbria
museum; building/s; garden
coordinates:- SD31259584
10Km square:- SD39

1Km square SD3195

photograph

Brantwood -- Coniston -- Cumbria / -- 28.4.2006
photograph

Brantwood -- Coniston -- Cumbria / -- 11.1.2008

old map:- Garnett 1850s-60s H

Map of the English Lakes, scale about 3.5 miles to 1 inch, published by John Garnett, Windermere, Westmorland, 1850s-60s.
thumbnail GAR2SD39, button to large image
Brantwood
block, building

placename:- Brantwood
date:- 1850=1869
period:- 19th century, late; 1850s; 1860s

database:- Listed Buildings 2010

Listed Buildings 2010

courtesy of English Heritage
BRANTWOOD / / / CONISTON / SOUTH LAKELAND / CUMBRIA / II[star] / 76774 / SD3125895854
courtesy of English Heritage
House. c.1797, extended to rear and to right, c.1833; turret added, 1871; dining room added 1878; 2nd storey to rear wing added in 1880s, studio 1897; bay window and octagonal bay added 1905. Roughcast with hipped slate roofs. Front range, overlooking lake, of 2 storeys and 4 bays, the 1st bay is higher and forms elongated octagon on plan; 2nd bay has rectangular bay window with wooden balustrade; 4th bay has angle turret. Windows are sashed with glazing bars, but 1st bay has leaded glazing. 2nd bay has tripartite sashes; 3rd bay has bowed tripartite sash. Hexagonal turret to 1st floor on attached pier; full-height leaded glazing to 5 sides, and pyramidal roof. Cross-axial stack and gable-end stack. Rear wing has various stacks including paired gable-end stacks. Right return has decorative barge-boards and round-headed stair window, the glazing bars with intersecting heads; one-storey dining room projection; hipped roof with flat centre section. Angles have stone double-chamfered clasping buttresses. Front canted French window and return stone window of 7 trefoilheaded lights over weathered projection, the lights having roll moulded openings and trefoils and sexfoils to spandrels. Rear wing of 3 storeys has sashed windows with glazing bars, those to end bay above archway are tripartite. Entrance has 6-fielded-panel door and archway has keystone with letters: "JR". Left hand angle has 2nd floor oriel wrapped round angle with small-paned glazing. Studio to rear of one storey, but on level with 2nd floor; small hipped porch and large tripartite sash. Left return has canted oriel over archway; angle gabled oriel to end of 2nd floor and entrance with glazed doorcase and overlight with glazing bars. Interior: doors have architraves with angle rosettes; dining room has coved ceiling and marble fireplace with round-arched grate. Other rooms have marble fireplaces. Studio has elliptical- arched fireplace recess, fireplace has 4-centred arch and tiled surround; leaded glazing to small window. Shelves over original radiator. Another room has fireplace tiles by Burne-Jones. Noted as the home of John Ruskin, C19 art critic and social critic, from 1872 until his death in 1900. Also the home of William Linton, wood engraver and revolutionary socialist and his wife, the novelist Eliza Lynn; the poet Gerald Massey; and the water colourist Arthur Severn and his family.

placename:- Brantwood
district:- South Lakeland
listed building
coordinates:- SD31259585
date:- 2010
period:- 2010s

database:- Listed Buildings 2010

Listed Buildings 2010

courtesy of English Heritage
OUTBUILDING APPROXIMATELY 30 METRES TO SOUTH OF BRANTWOOD / / / CONISTON / SOUTH LAKELAND / CUMBRIA / II / 76775 / SD3125695830
courtesy of English Heritage
Outbuilding. 1850s. For William Linton. Painted stone rubble with quoins and slate roof. 2 storeys, 3 bays and lean-to bay to right return, the eaves raised. Ground floor possibly originally stable, with 2 entrances and 2 windows between. 2 windows to 1st floor. Stair up bank to right return 1st floor entrance. 1st floor housed printing press for William Linton, wood engraver and revolutionary socialist, whose periodicals English Republic and Northern Tribune were printed here. Originally, the room had slogans painted on walls; one: "GOD AND THE PEOPLE' has been uncovered.
district:- South Lakeland
listed building
coordinates:- SD31259583
date:- 2010
period:- 2010s

database:- Listed Buildings 2010

Listed Buildings 2010

courtesy of English Heritage
LODGE AND FORMER STABLE APPROXIMATELY 70 METRES TO SOUTH OF BRANTWOOD / / / CONISTON / SOUTH LAKELAND / CUMBRIA / II[star] / 76776 / SD3123495798
courtesy of English Heritage
Lodge and stable. Stable probably C18; lodge 1872 for John Ruskin. Roughcast stone with slate roof, rear wing stone rubble. 2 storeys, 2 bays, with smaller, recessed 2-bay wing to rear. Left angle is canted. Slate dripcourse over ground floor. Ground floor has 4- and 3-light mullioned windows, with 2-light window to angle. 1st floor has 4-light flat-topped dormer; to canted angle a canted oriel dormer with gable and small return lights. Right hand angle has gabled oriel dormer set across angle with pyramidal roof. Left return has sashed windows, 1st floor loading door and lateral stack. Right return has lateral stack and entrance; rear wing has 2 entrances each with small-paned light to left. 1st floor windows. Opening to rear wall to take waterfall, stream partly culverted through building emerging through opening in front wall.
district:- South Lakeland
listed building -- stable
coordinates:- SD31239579
date:- 2010
period:- 2010s

database:- Listed Buildings 2010

Listed Buildings 2010

courtesy of English Heritage
FORMER COACH HOUSE AND STABLE APPROXIMATELY 100 METRES SOUTH OF BRANTWOOD / / / CONISTON / SOUTH LAKELAND / CUMBRIA / II / 76777 / SD3121195775
courtesy of English Heritage
Coach-house and stable, now tea room and exhibition hall. 1872. For John Ruskin. Slate with slate roof. 2 storeys, 3 bays, the 1st bay breaks forward under gable. Right return has one storey wing with half-hipped gable. Windows have label moulds and casements. 2nd and 3rd bays have entrance with overlight flanked by windows, all under continuous label mould; loading door with gablet above. Right return has 2 entrances, the wing has split stable door and window. Left return has hipped pentice over 2 coach-house doors and 2 gabled half dormers to 1st floor. Rear has 1st floor entrance to, possibly groom's lodging, and hayloft. Interior has 3 stable partitions and mangers; hayloft has doubled scissor trusses clasping short king post.
district:- South Lakeland
listed building -- stable; coach house
coordinates:- SD31219577
date:- 2010
period:- 2010s

old print:- Pearson 1900s

thumbnail PS1E18, button to large image
Print, halftone photograph, Brantwood, Coniston, Lancashire, published by C Arthur Pearson, Henrietta Street, London, 1900s.
On p.39 of Pearson's Gossipy Guide to the English Lakes and Neighbouring Districts.
printed at bottom:-
BRANTWOOD, CONISTON. (p.40). / (The home and death-place of John Ruskin).

placename:- Brantwood
date:- 1900=1909
period:- 1900s

old print:-
thumbnail PR0356, button to large image
Print, uncoloured engraving, Brantwood, Coniston, Cumberland, engraved by Whymper, published 1920s-30s?
On page 220 of Picturesque Europe, The Lake Country. Home of John Ruskin.
printed at lower right:-
[WHYMPER Sc]
printed at bottom:-
BRANTWOOD, CONISTON.- RESIDENCE OF MR. RUSKIN..

placename:- Brantwood
person:- : Ruskin, John
date:- 1920=1939
period:- 1920s

photographs
Ruskin Rocks Project
The aim of the Ruskin Rocks Project was to introuduce chidren to music and science, and elements of the local landscape and industry, using a musical instrument made from local resources - the rocks of the Cumbrian mountains. The whole idea is typical of the sort of thing John Ruskin did; he had a set of musical stones made for him by William Till, 1884, which is now in the Ruskin Museum, Coniston.
The project was lead by Bobby Millar of the University of Leeds, and involved expertise from the Interdisciplinary Centre for Scientific Research in Music, Leeds, and geologists at the university. Technology developed by Dr Kia Ng from ICSRiM was used to help build the precision lithophone.
courtesy of Brantwood
tiny photograph, 
button to large Brantwood -- Coniston -- Cumbria / -- Ruskin Rocks lithophone, 2010 -- 10.11.2010
tiny photograph, 
button to large Brantwood -- Coniston -- Cumbria / -- Ruskin Rocks lithophone, 2010 -- 10.11.2010
tiny photograph, 
button to large Brantwood -- Coniston -- Cumbria / -- Ruskin Rocks lithophone, 2010 -- 10.11.2010
tiny photograph, 
button to large Brantwood -- Coniston -- Cumbria / -- Ruskin Rocks lithophone, 2010 -- 10.11.2010
tiny photograph, 
button to large Brantwood -- Coniston -- Cumbria / -- Ruskin Rocks lithophone, 2010 -- 10.11.2010

photographs
tiny photograph, 
button to large Brantwood -- Coniston -- Cumbria / -- 21.1.2011

photographs
courtesy of Brantwood.
tiny photograph, 
button to large Brantwood -- Coniston -- Cumbria / -- Study. -- 30.3.2010
tiny photograph, 
button to large Brantwood -- Coniston -- Cumbria / -- Portrait of John Ruskin. -- 30.3.2010
tiny photograph, 
button to large Brantwood -- Coniston -- Cumbria / -- Shells. -- 30.3.2010
tiny photograph, 
button to large Brantwood -- Coniston -- Cumbria / -- Drawing room. -- 30.3.2010
tiny photograph, 
button to large Brantwood -- Coniston -- Cumbria / -- Dining room. -- 30.3.2010
tiny photograph, 
button to large Brantwood -- Coniston -- Cumbria / -- Bedroom. -- 30.3.2010
tiny photograph, 
button to large Brantwood -- Coniston -- Cumbria / -- 'Ruskin' lace, on a bedspread. -- 30.3.2010
tiny photograph, 
button to large Brantwood -- Coniston -- Cumbria / -- Rag rug. -- 30.3.2010
tiny photograph, 
button to large Brantwood -- Coniston -- Cumbria / -- Museum shop. -- 30.3.2010
tiny photograph, 
button to large Brantwood -- Coniston -- Cumbria / -- John Ruskin's rowing boat. -- 30.3.2010

photographs
courtesy of Brantwood.
tiny photograph, 
button to large Brantwood -- Coniston -- Cumbria / -- Ruskin John in his boat. -- 30.3.2010

hearsay The building started as a cottage, 1797, which is now the entrance hall and the study. John Ruskin lived here from 1872 to his death, 1900; he said the house had the best view in all England.
John Ruskin was born in London, 1819; and went to Christ Church College, Oxford. He won the Newdigate Prize for poetry. He was later the Slade Professor of Art at Oxford, from 1869.

notes John Ruskin designed the ziffern as an instrument on which young children could learn to play music. Unfortunately it turned out to be more difficult than the piano. He wrote, Fors Clavigra letter 95, October 1884:-
... unsuccessful only in that the form of lyre which was produced for me, after months of labour, was as curious a creation of physical deformity as a Greek lyre was of grace, beside being nearly as expensive as a pian0 ...

imagebsj89.jpg
-- Ruskin's ziffern. -- 30.3.2010

hearsay William James Linton, b.1812 d.1898, was a wood engraver, he engraved pictures for the London Illustrated News. As a radical socialist He was involved with the Chartist movement, and wrote articles for various subversive magazines. Disillusioned with politics when the movement foundered in 1848, he moved north, purchasing Brantwood in 1852. Here he set up a printing press and published his own magazine, The English Republic, for a few issues, to 1855? He sold Brantwood to Ruskin in 1871 and moved to New Haven, Connecticut.

imagebsj92.jpg
-- Burins, wood blocks, and prints -- 30.3.2010

imagebsj93.jpg
-- Burins, wood blocks, and prints -- 30.3.2010
While at Brantwood he followed his interst in botany and wrote The Ferns of the English Lake Country, published Windermere, 1865. There is a fern garden at Brantwood in memory of Linton.
Mrs E Lynn Linton, novelist, and W J Linton, engraver, jointly produced The Lake Country, at Brantwood, 1864.

Old Cumbria Gazetteer - JandMN: 2008

button to lakes menu  Lakes Guides menu.

©  Martin and Jean Norgate: 2012
mailto button  email:- JandMN@norgate.freeserve.co.uk
button, online connection  Other projects

button, online connection  Geography Department, Portsmouth University