button to main menu   Old Cumbria Gazetteer
placename:- Coniston
parish Coniston parish, once in Lancashire
county:- Cumbria
building/s --
coordinates:- SD302978
10Km square:- SD39
place code:- Cnst

1Km square SD3097

photograph

Coniston -- Coniston -- Cumbria / -- 16.9.2005

old map:- OS County Series (Lan 4 4)

County Series maps of Great Britain, scales 6 and 25 inches to 1 mile, published by the Ordnance Survey, Southampton, Hampshire, from about 1863 to 1948.

placename:- Coniston
building/s
date:- 1890=1899
period:- 19th century, late; 1890s

source:- Martineau 1855

Guide book, A Complete Guide to the English Lakes, by Harriet Martineau, published by John Garnett, Windermere, Westmorland, and by Whittaker and Co, London, 1855; published 1855-71.
Page 27:-
the region. The little town of Church Coniston, and the New Inn, are a mile short of Waterhead; and the stranger must stop, and look through the place, while his early dinner is preparing. ...

placename:- Church Coniston
date:- 1855
period:- 19th century, late; 1850s

old map:- Garnett 1850s-60s H

Map of the English Lakes, scale about 3.5 miles to 1 inch, published by John Garnett, Windermere, Westmorland, 1850s-60s.
thumbnail GAR2SD39, button to large image
CONISTON
blocks, settlement

placename:- Coniston
date:- 1850=1869
period:- 19th century, late; 1850s; 1860s

old map:- Ford 1839 map

Map of the Lake District, published in A Description of Scenery in the Lake District, by William Ford, published by Charles Thurnham, London, 1839.
thumbnail FD02SD39, button to large image
Ch. Conistone

placename:- Church Conistone
county:- Lancashire
date:- 1839
period:- 19th century, early; 1830s

source:- Otley 1818

New Map of the District of the Lakes, in Westmorland, Cumberland, and Lancashire, scale about 4 miles to 1 inch, by Jonathan Otley, engraved by J and G Menzies, Edinburgh, Lothian, Scotland, published by J Otley, Keswick, Cumberland now Cumbria, 1818; pblished 1818 to 1850s.
image OT02SD39, button   goto source.
thumbnail OT02SD39, button to large image
CONISTON

placename:- Coniston

old text:- Camden 1789 (Gough Additions)

Britannia, or A Chorographical Description of the Flourishing Kingdoms of England, Scotland, and Ireland, by William Camden, 1586, translated from the 1607 Latin edition by Richard Gough, published London, 1789.
Page 143:-
...
... To the north is Coningston manor between Coningston fells, very high mountains, wherein are mines of copper, lead, and slate, and Coningston or Thurston water, ... It has the additional name of Fleming to distinguish it from Monk Coningston on the opposite side of the lake which belonged to Furness abbey. In the reign of Henry III. it came by marriage from the Urswickes to Richard le Fleming of Caernarvon castle, and has been ever since enjoyed by his heirs male, sir Michael le Fleming of Rydal hall, Westmorland, being the present possessor; which last manor came to them by marriage of sir Thomas le Fleming with Isabel one of the daughters and coheirs of sir John de Lancaster of Rydal and Holgil castle in the same county, knt. The chapel was made parochial among divers others in this county by archbishop Sandys.

placename:- Coningston
other name:- Coningston Fleming
person:- : Fleming, Richard le
person:- : Fleming Family
date:- 1789
period:- 18th century, late; 1780s

old map:- Crosthwaite 1783-94 (Con)

Series of maps, An Accurate Map of the Matchless Lake of Derwent, of the Grand Lake of Windermere, of the Beautiful Lake of Ullswater, of Broadwater or Bassenthwaite Lake, of Coniston Lake, of Buttermere, Crummock and Loweswater Lakes, and Pocklington's Island, by Peter Crosthwaite, Kendal, Cumberland now Cumbria, 1783 to 1794.
thumbnail CTESD39D, button to large image
circle, buildings, tower and a ?cross:-
The Village of Church Coniston
and a scatter of blocks for building/s:-
Church Coniston

placename:- Church Coniston
date:- 1783=1794
period:- 18th century, late; 1780s; 1790s

descriptive text:- West 1778 (11th edn 1821)

Guide book, A Guide to the Lakes, by Thomas West, published by William Pennington, Kendal, Cumbria once Westmorland, and in London, 1778 to 1821.
image WS21P052, button   goto source.
Page 52:-
The next grand view is had in the boat, and from the centre of the lake, ...
Following the line of shore from Coniston-hall, to the upper end of the lake, the village of Coniston is in full view, and consists of seats, groups of houses, farms, and cots, scattered in a picturesque manner over the cultivated slope. Some are snow-white, others gray; some stand forth on bold eminences at the head of green inclosures; backed with steep woods; others are pitched on sweet declivities, and seem hanging in the
image WS21P053, button   goto source.
Page 53:-
air; some again are on a level with the lake; and all are neatly covered with blue slate, the produce of the mountains, and beautified with ornamental yews, hollies, and tall pines, or firs. This is a charming scene, when the morning sun tinges the whole with a variety of tints. ...
date:- 1778
period:- 18th century, late; 1770s

old print:- Pearson 1900s

thumbnail PS1E02, button to large image
Print, halftone photograph, Crags near Coniston, Lancashire, published by C Arthur Pearson, Henrietta Street, London, 1900s.
On p.3 of Pearson's Gossipy Guide to the English Lakes and Neighbouring Districts.
printed at bottom:-
CRAGS NEAR CONISTON.

placename:- Coniston
date:- 1900=1909
period:- 1900s

market notes:- see:- : 1889: Market Rights and Tolls: HM Government

Market listed by HM Government, 1888.
market town
date:- 1888

source:- Martineau 1855

Guide book, A Complete Guide to the English Lakes, by Harriet Martineau, published by John Garnett, Windermere, Westmorland, and by Whittaker and Co, London, 1855; published 1855-71.
Page 217:-
CONISTON.
Atkinson, Thomas, Waterhead Hotel.
Barnett, George, innkeeper
Barratt, Wm., Hollyhow Cottage
Barratt John, Esq., Holyworth House.
Barrow, Edward, Black Bull Inn.
Barrow, Joseph, yeoman, Little Arrow.
Barrow, Wm., yeoman, Outrake.
Barrow, Henry, yeoman, Heathwaite.
Page 218:-
Barrow, Adam, farmer, Cat Bank.
Barrow, William, farmer, Heathwaite.
Burrow, George, farmer and wool stapler, Hallgarth.
Beever, the Misses, Thwaite.
Bell, William, joiner, Hawsbank.
Benson, John, farmer, Yew Tree.
Boileau, Simon John, Esq., Parsonage.
Bowdin, Daniel, accountant.
Bownass, Wm., yeoman, Brow.
Bownass, Roger, yeoman, Dixon Ground.
Bownass, George, junr.,
Bownass, Roger, draper, Post-office.
Briggs, John, carrier.
Briggs, John, junr., carrier.
Bywater, R. T., Esq., surgeon.
Chambre, Miss, Bank Ground.
Collinson, William, farmer, Low Yewdale.
Coward, Edward, farmer, Farend.
Coward, Henry, grocer & carrier, Bridge End.
Coward, Edward, joiner, Saw Mills.
Diddams, John, school master,
Dixon, Benjamin, yeoman, Spoon Hall.
Dixon, William, yeoman, Dixon Ground.
Dixon, Joseph, grocer.
Dixon, John, tailor.
Fleming, George, butcher, Yewdale Bridge.
Fleming, John, shoemaker.
Fleming, Robert blacksmith.
Gaskgarth, Anthony, lodging house.
Grave, William, Railway Tavern.
Hall, Joseph, grocer.
Harker, Jas., Rising Sun, beerhouse.
Irving, I, farmer, Coniston Hall.
Jackson, John, farmer, High Yewdale.
Jackson, Edward, farmer and slate merchant, Tilberthwaite.
Knight, John, farmer and assesment overseer.
Knipe, Thomas and Jas., tailors.
Linton, William J., artist, Brantwood.
Marshall, J. G., Esq., M.P., Waterhead House.
Massicks, Isaac, Crown Hotel.
Massicks, Isaac, blacksmith.
Mason, Miles, yeoman & waller, Low Houses.
Mossop, Clement tailor.
Milligan, George, farmer, Tarn Haws.
Nicholson, Eleanor, grocer.
Parker, John, farmer and slate merchant, Holme Ground.
Pickles, Richard, farmer, Dixon Ground.
Pool, John, butcher.
Prickett, Richard, farmer, Dixon Ground.
Redhead, Edward, painter and glazier.
Romney, William, agent to J. G. Marshall, Esq.
Shuttleworth, Joseph, farmer, Tent Lodge.
Shuttleworth, Wilson, butcher, Waterhead.
Smith, Wordsworth, Esq., Coniston Bank.
Smith, Mrs., Coniston Bank.
Spedding, John, yeoman, Bowmanstead.
Thwaites, William, shoemaker.
Tolming, Rev. Thomas, incumbent of Coniston.
Towers, Matthew, yeoman, Little Arrow.
Page 219:-
Townson, William, yeoman, Gill.
Tyson, George, tailor and draper.
Tyson, J., yeoman, High Ground
Walker, Henry, farmer, Bank Ground.
Wilson, Wm., yeoman, Beckses.
Wilson, Matthew, yeoman, Hollins Bank.
Wilson, John, carrier.
Wilson, Thomas, farmer, Coniston Bank.
Wilson, John, farmer, Rowlandson Ground.
Wilson, Wm., beerhouse keeper, Miners' Arms.
date:- 1855
period:- 19th century, late; 1850s

photographs
tiny photograph, 
button to large Coniston -- Coniston -- Cumbria / -- 28.4.2006

Old Cumbria Gazetteer - JandMN: 2008

button to lakes menu  Lakes Guides menu.

©  Martin and Jean Norgate: 2012
mailto button  email:- JandMN@norgate.freeserve.co.uk
button, online connection  Other projects

button, online connection  Geography Department, Portsmouth University