button to main menu   Old Cumbria Gazetteer
placename:- Coniston Hall
locality:- Coniston
parish Coniston parish, once in Lancashire
county:- Cumbria
building/s
coordinates:- SD30449634
10Km square:- SD39

1Km square SD3096

photograph

Coniston Hall -- Coniston -- Coniston -- Cumbria / -- 10.11.2010
photograph

Coniston Hall -- Coniston -- Coniston -- Cumbria / -- 28.4.2006

old map:- Garnett 1850s-60s H

Map of the English Lakes, scale about 3.5 miles to 1 inch, published by John Garnett, Windermere, Westmorland, 1850s-60s.
thumbnail GAR2SD29, button to large image
Coniston Hall
block, building

placename:- Coniston Hall
date:- 1850=1869
period:- 19th century, late; 1850s; 1860s

descriptive text:- Ford 1839 (3rd edn 1843)

Description of Scenery in the Lake District, by William Ford, published by Charles Thurnham, London, et al, 1839; published 1839-52.
Page 9:-
...
... Coniston Hall, the ancient seat of the Flemings of Rydal, is on the right hand on the edge of the lake, and although very much spoiled by alterations, is a pleasing object with the trees, the water, and the fells of Yewdale. ...

placename:- Coniston Hall
date:- 1839
period:- 19th century, early; 1830s

source:- Otley 1818

New Map of the District of the Lakes, in Westmorland, Cumberland, and Lancashire, scale about 4 miles to 1 inch, by Jonathan Otley, engraved by J and G Menzies, Edinburgh, Lothian, Scotland, published by J Otley, Keswick, Cumberland now Cumbria, 1818; pblished 1818 to 1850s.
image OT02SD29, button   goto source.
thumbnail OT02SD29, button to large image

placename:- Hall

old map:- West 1784 map

A Map of the Lakes in Cumberland, Westmorland and Lancashire, now Cumbria, scale about 3.5 miles to 1 inch, engraved by Paas, 53 Holborn, London, included in the Guide to the Lakes by Thomas West, published by William Pennington, Kendal, Westmorland, and in London, from the 3rd edition 1784, to 1821.
image Ws02SD29, button   goto source.
thumbnail Ws02SD29, button to large image

placename:- Coniston Hall
house
county:- Lancashire

old map:- Crosthwaite 1783-94 (Con)

Series of maps, An Accurate Map of the Matchless Lake of Derwent, of the Grand Lake of Windermere, of the Beautiful Lake of Ullswater, of Broadwater or Bassenthwaite Lake, of Coniston Lake, of Buttermere, Crummock and Loweswater Lakes, and Pocklington's Island, by Peter Crosthwaite, Kendal, Cumberland now Cumbria, 1783 to 1794.
thumbnail CTESD39D, button to large image
CONISTON PARK and HALL / Sr. Michael le Fleming's Bart.
area, and block for building/s

placename:- Coniston Park and Hall
person:- : Fleming, Michael, Sir
date:- 1783=1794
period:- 18th century, late; 1780s; 1790s

descriptive text:- West 1778 (11th edn 1821)

Guide book, A Guide to the Lakes, by Thomas West, published by William Pennington, Kendal, Cumbria once Westmorland, and in London, 1778 to 1821.
image WS21P051, button   goto source.
Page 51:-
... [from station, Coniston 2] On the western margin stands the lady of the lake, Coniston-hall, concealed in a grove of tall trees, and above it, the village of the same name. The hall has only changed masters twice since the conquest, and has belonged to the family of Fleming most of time.
person:- : Fleming Family
date:- 1778
period:- 18th century, late; 1770s

database:- Listed Buildings 2010

Listed Buildings 2010

courtesy of English Heritage
CONISTON HALL / / / CONISTON / SOUTH LAKELAND / CUMBRIA / II[star] / 76807 / SD3048396364
courtesy of English Heritage
Large house, now part farmhouse, part used by sailing club, part ruined. Late C16, but south-west wing possibly earlier. Stone rubble with slate roof. T-plan with ruins of wing adjoining north-east angle. Entrance facade of 4 bays with gable end of ruined wing to left, the 4th bay projects under gable with re-entrant 2-storey porch under lean-to roof. Windows mostly have wooden chamfered-mullioned frames. Earth ramp with stone retaining walls to 2nd bay dates from C18 conversion to barn. Ground floor has 4-light window to 1st bay; casement to 3rd bay and 4th-bay casement with iron opening lights. 1st floor has 5- and 4-light mullioned windows with transoms flanking inserted barn entrance; 4th bay has 4-light transomed window. Entrance in re-entrant porch with 2-light window. Blocked 3-light attic window. Ruined wing has footings of walls; gable-end has ground floor fireplace with bressummer and 1st floor fireplace with 4-centred head; blocked entrances to 3 floors to right. In thickness of wall to left a garderobe with seat, now exposed. Right return has projecting lateral stack with round shaft on square base; windows with small-paned casements. Rear has gable-end and lateral stacks, as above. Ground floor 2-light windows; 1st floor has 2-light window to 1st, gabled, bay and 2-light window in deep recess to left of stack; end 2 bays have 4- and 5-light transomed windows. Left return has projecting stair turret in angle, with 2-light windows; gable-end stacks, that to ruined wing truncated. Interior: ground floor has stopped chamfered beams; 4-centred arch to fireplace; spiral stair has oak treads on stone; 1st floor has arch-braced collar trusses, one originally with partitions; deeply moulded architraves to panelling at upper end, late C16; 2 fireplaces with 4-centred heads. Farmhouse has plank and muntin partitions and panelled door possibly from screens. Property of The National Trust.

placename:- Coniston Hall
district:- South Lakeland
listed building
coordinates:- SD30489636
date:- 2010
period:- 2010s

database:- Listed Buildings 2010

Listed Buildings 2010

courtesy of English Heritage
PRIVY APPROXIMATELY 13 METRES TO SOUTH OF CONISTON HALL / / / CONISTON / SOUTH LAKELAND / CUMBRIA / II / 76808 / SD3047896341
courtesy of English Heritage
Privy. Possibly C19. Stone rubble with slate roof, now covered with ivy. Plank and batten door. Interior has plank seat with 2 holes, one with lid.
district:- South Lakeland
listed building -- privy
coordinates:- SD30479634
date:- 2010
period:- 2010s

photographs
tiny photograph, 
button to large Coniston Hall -- Coniston -- Coniston -- Cumbria / -- 28.4.2006
tiny photograph, 
button to large Coniston Hall -- Coniston -- Coniston -- Cumbria / -- 10.11.2010

hearsay The Le Fleming Family lived here from 1250; they moved to Rydal Hall in the 18th century.

Old Cumbria Gazetteer - JandMN: 2008

button to lakes menu  Lakes Guides menu.

©  Martin and Jean Norgate: 2012
mailto button  email:- JandMN@norgate.freeserve.co.uk
button, online connection  Other projects

button, online connection  Geography Department, Portsmouth University