button to main menu   Old Cumbria Gazetteer
placename:- Drawdykes Castle
locality:- Houghton
parish Stanwix Rural parish, once in Cumberland
county:- Cumbria
castle
coordinates:- NY423587
10Km square:- NY45

1Km square NY4258

old map:- OS County Series (Cmd 16 16)

County Series maps of Great Britain, scales 6 and 25 inches to 1 mile, published by the Ordnance Survey, Southampton, Hampshire, from about 1863 to 1948.

placename:- Drawdykes Castle
castle
date:- 1890=1899
period:- 19th century, late; 1890s

old text:- Camden 1789 (Gough Additions)

Britannia, or A Chorographical Description of the Flourishing Kingdoms of England, Scotland, and Ireland, by William Camden, 1586, translated from the 1607 Latin edition by Richard Gough, published London, 1789.
Page 195:-
...
At Drawdikes, a seat of the Aglionbys, near the former inscription is another,
Bishop Gibson gives the following also here:
which Dr. Gale corrects
as in Horsley's Cumb. No LVI. But Mr. Horsley could hear of no such altar, and inclined to suspect it to have been mistaken for one of those yet remaining at Drumburgh. He gives a 4th (XL.) which he thinks belongs here, and two more XLI. XLII. The inscription in Camden is also now at Drawdikes, but the horseman armed with a lance which he mentions is gone, and never seems to have been part of this.

placename:- Drawdikes
person:- : Aglionby Family
person:- : Gibson, Edmund
person:- : Gale, Dr
person:- archaeologist : Horsley, John
date:- 1789
period:- 18th century, late; 1780s

old map:- Bowen and Kitchin 1760

New Map of the Counties of Cumberland and Westmoreland, scale about 4 miles to 1 inch, Emanuel Bowen and Thomas Kitchin, published by T Bowles, John Bowles and Son, Robert Sayer, and John Tinney, 1760; published 1760-87.
thumbnail BO18NY45, button to large image
Drawdikes
circle

placename:- Drawdikes
date:- 1760
period:- 18th century, late; 1760s

database:- Listed Buildings 2010

Listed Buildings 2010

courtesy of English Heritage
DRAWDYKES CASTLE / / / STANWIX RURAL / CARLISLE / CUMBRIA / II[star] / 77642 / NY4190758549
courtesy of English Heritage
Farmhouse, formerly tower home. Probably C14, converted to house 1676 by William Thackery and John Aglionby. Mixed red and yellow sandtone walls, mostly from the Roman Wall nearby, gabled slate roof. 3 storeys, 3 bays. Basically the original tower with Classical Revival faade and rear windows Chamfered plinth course. Entrance has moulded surround with triangular pediment, C19 6-panel door. Moulded surrounds to sash windows with glazing bars, having alternating segmented and triangular pediments, but no pediments to second floor windows. Calciferous sandstone ashlar quoins, moulded cornice and parapet with central coat of arms over which is carved head possibly of John Aglionby. West wall has roof moulding of adjoining building which was demolished c1764 to build the attached farmhouse (now very much altered). Rear wall has built-in Roman altar; and re-used lintel stone inscribed to Alan de Penitona, who was mayor of Carlisle in 1287, is inside. Interior now used for storage and impossible to inspect. One of the earliest Classical Revival facades in the area. See, Curwen, Castles & Towers of Cumberland & Westmorland, 1913, p. 368.

placename:- Drawdykes Castle
district:- Carlisle
listed building
coordinates:- NY41905854
date:- 2010
period:- 2010s

road book:- Cary 1798 (2nd edn 1802)

Road book, Cary's New Itinerary, by John Cary, published by G and J Cary, 86 St James's Street, London, 1798-1828.
thumbnail C38699, button to large image
page 699-700
Drawdikes

placename:- Drawdikes
date:- 1802
period:- 19th century, early; 1800s

photographs
tiny photograph, 
button to large Drawdykes Castle -- Houghton -- Stanwix Rural -- Cumbria / -- From Hutchinson 1794 map 2.

hearsay 15th century pele tower, incorporated in a 17th century house.

Old Cumbria Gazetteer - JandMN: 2008

button to lakes menu  Lakes Guides menu.

©  Martin and Jean Norgate: 2012
mailto button  email:- JandMN@norgate.freeserve.co.uk
button, online connection  Other projects

button, online connection  Geography Department, Portsmouth University