button to main menu   Old Cumbria Gazetteer
placename:- Egremont Castle
other name:- Egermond Castle
locality:- Egremont
parish Egremont parish, once in Cumberland
county:- Cumbria
castle; motte and bailey
coordinates:- NY00981048
10Km square:- NY01

1Km square NY0010

photograph

Egremont Castle -- Egremont -- Egremont -- Cumbria / -- 11.5.2009
photograph

Egremont Castle -- Egremont -- Egremont -- Cumbria / -- 24.4.2006

old map:- OS County Series (Cmd 72 7)

County Series maps of Great Britain, scales 6 and 25 inches to 1 mile, published by the Ordnance Survey, Southampton, Hampshire, from about 1863 to 1948.

placename:- Egremont Castle
castle
date:- 1890=1899
period:- 19th century, late; 1890s

source:- Martineau 1855

Guide book, A Complete Guide to the English Lakes, by Harriet Martineau, published by John Garnett, Windermere, Westmorland, and by Whittaker and Co, London, 1855; published 1855-71.
Page 125:-
[it was at the] gateway of Egremont Castle that the horn was hung, in crusading days, which was twice blown by the gallant Sir Eustace de Lacy. As the Cumberlanders tell, Sir Eustace and his brother Hubert rode forth together to the Holy Wars; and Sir Eustace blew the horn, saying to his brother, "If I fall in Palestine, do thou return and blow this horn, and take possession; that Egremont may not be without a Lacy for its Lord." In Palestine, ambition of this lordship so took possession of Hubert, that he hired ruffians to drown his brother in the Jordan: and the ruffians assured him that the deed was done. He returned home, and stole into the castle by night,- not daring to sound the horn. But he soon plucked up spirit, and drowned his remorse in revels. In the midst of a banquet, one day, the horn was heard, sounding such a blast that the echoes came back from the fells, after startling the red deer from his covert, and the wild boar from his drinking at the tarn. Hubert knew that none but Eustace could or would so sound the horn: and he fled by a postern while his brother Eustace entered by the gate. Long after, the wretched Hubert came to ask forgiveness from his brother; and having obtained it, retired to a convent, where he practised penance until he died. The ruins of this castle stand on an eminence to the west of the town.
person:- : Lacy, Eustace de, Sir
person:- : Lacy, Hubert de, Sir
event:- : Crusades, The
date:- 1855
period:- 19th century, late; 1850s

descriptive text:- Ford 1839 (3rd edn 1843)

Description of Scenery in the Lake District, by William Ford, published by Charles Thurnham, London, et al, 1839; published 1839-52.
... The Norman conquerors, however, seem to have left this tract [The Lakes] wholly to itself: all the remains of the castles being found on the outskirts, as Egremont, Cockermouth, Brougham, and Kendal. ...
Page 75:-
...
[Egremont] ... The castle, situated upon a rising ground, flanked on the south by the Ehen, was pro-
Page 76:-
[pro]bably built by William de Meschiens, first lord of the barony of Copeland, to which he was presented by his brother Ranulph, who held Cumberland and Westmorland under William the Conqueror. Little of it remains at present. The principal part is the keep. The arch of the gate-way is the horse-shoe arch, and its groining is by plain cross-springers. The outward wall has, from its base upwards, ten courses of herring-boned work. The other arches which remain are three in number, pointed and covered with ivy. But within these few years, this building has suffered more from wanton spoliation than from the ravages of time. ...
person:- : Meschines, William de
date:- 1839
period:- 19th century, early; 1830s

old text:- Camden 1789

Britannia, or A Chorographical Description of the Flourishing Kingdoms of England, Scotland, and Ireland, by William Camden, 1586, translated from the 1607 Latin edition by Richard Gough, published London, 1789.
Page 169:-
...
... Scarce a mile from hence stands on a hill Egremont castle, the antient seat of William de Meschines, to whom Henry I. gave it "by the service of one knight's fee, that he should march at the king's command in the army against Wales and Scotland." He left a daughter married to William Fitz Duncan of the blood royal of Scotland, by whose daughter the estate came into the family of the Lucies. From them again by the Moltons and Fitz Walters the title of Egremont came to the Radcliffes earls of Sussex. It was however enjoyed for a considerable time by favour of Henry VI. by Thomas Percy, who had summons to parliament by the style of Thomas Percy of Egremont.

placename:- Egremont Castle
person:- : Meschines, William de
person:- : Henry I
person:- : Lucy Family
person:- : Molton Family
person:- : FitzWalter Family
person:- : Radcliffe Family
person:- : Percy, Thomas
person:- : Henry VI
date:- 1789
period:- 18th century, late; 1780s

old text:- Camden 1789 (Gough Additions)

Britannia, or A Chorographical Description of the Flourishing Kingdoms of England, Scotland, and Ireland, by William Camden, 1586, translated from the 1607 Latin edition by Richard Gough, published London, 1789.
Page 180:-
...
"Egermont, south from Cokermouth, longith to the lord Fitzwalter, and standith by the market town of Egremont."
Egremont castle passed from the Meschines to the Lucys, of whom Maud, only sister and heir of Anthony lord Lucy before-mentioned, married Henry Percy first earl of Northumberland, in whose male line it continued till Elizabeth sole daughter and heiress of Joceline last earl of Northumberland of that line, married Charles duke of Somerset 1682, and transferred it to his family. Their son Algernon was created 1749 earl of Egremont with remainder to his nephew sir Charles Wyndham, who succeeded to the title on his decease 1750, and was succeeded 1763 by his son George, present and 2d earl of Egremont. The town of Egremont once sent members to Parliament.

placename:- Egremont Castle
person:- : Fitzwalter, Lord
person:- : Meschines Family
person:- : Lucy Family
person:- : Percy Family
person:- : Somerset, Duke of
person:- : Wyndham, Charles, Sir
date:- 1789
period:- 18th century, late; 1780s

old map:- Bowen and Kitchin 1760

New Map of the Counties of Cumberland and Westmoreland, scale about 4 miles to 1 inch, Emanuel Bowen and Thomas Kitchin, published by T Bowles, John Bowles and Son, Robert Sayer, and John Tinney, 1760; published 1760-87.
The Cas
circle and flag
date:- 1760
period:- 18th century, late; 1760s

descriptive text:- Simpson 1746

The three volumes of maps and descriptive text published as 'The Agreeable Historian, or the Compleat English Traveller ...', by Samuel Simpson, 1746.
image SMP4P181, button   goto source.
...
... its [Egremont's] Castle, seated upon a sharp-topt Hill, built by William de Meschines, Brother of Ranulph, first Earl of Cumberland. ...
person:- : Meschines, William de
date:- 1746
period:- 18th century, early; 1740s

descriptive text:- Bowen 1720 (plate 261)

Road book, Britannia Depicta Or Ogilby Improv'd, including road strip maps with sections in Westmorland, scale about 2 miles to 1 inch, derived from maps by Ogilby, 1675, and a county map of Westmorland, scale about 8 miles to 1 inch, with text by John Owen, published by Emanuel Bowen, London, 1720; published 1720-64.
thumbnail B261m00, button to large image
The Castle
Egremond Is noted for its stately Castle, ye Ancient Seat of y Ld. Copeland.
Drawn with towers.
person:- : Copeland, Lord
date:- 1720
period:- 18th century, early; 1720s

old map:- Ogilby 1675 (plate 96)

Road book, Britannia, strip road maps, with sections in Westmorland and Cumberland etc, scale about 1 inch to 1 mile, by John Ogilby, London, 1675; and a general map of England and Wales.
image OG96Bm00, button   goto source.
thumbnail OG96Bm00, button to large image
In mile 0, Cumberland.
ye Castle
a castle on a hill, on left of road, at the near (south) end of Egremont.
date:- 1675
period:- 17th century, late; 1670s

database:- Listed Buildings 2010

Listed Buildings 2010

courtesy of English Heritage
EGREMONT CASTLE / / GREEN DYKES / EGREMONT / COPELAND / CUMBRIA / I / 76123 / NY0096810454
courtesy of English Heritage
Castle. Mid C12 with later additions and alterations. 1st castle established by Walter de Meschines c1120; west wall and gatehouse earliest surviving work (mid C12). Sandstone blocks on chamfered plinth; west wall incorporates extensive sections of herringbone masonry and retains some embrasures. Keep, to north end of mound, with courtyard; all ruinous. West gateway has round-headed entrance arch; internally, a column in each corner carries remains of domical rib-vault. South wall of keep rebuilt mid C13; doorway on left retains portcullis and draw-bar slots. For plan and detailed description see Knowles and Jackson in Transactions of Cumberland & Westmorland Antiquarian & Archaeological Society, Old Series Vol. 6, pp 162A-D. Scheduled Ancient Monument.

placename:- Egremont Castle
district:- Copeland
listed building
coordinates:- NY00961045
date:- 2010
period:- 2010s

old print:- Linton 1852

Guide book, A Handbook of the Whitehaven and Furness Railway, guide to the Lake District etc, by John Linton, published by Whittaker and Co, London, etc, 1852.
thumbnail LN1E05, button to large image
Print, engraving, Egremont Castle, Cumberland, drawn by R Shepherd, engraved by W H Lizars, Edinburgh, published by Whittaker and Co, London, and by R Gibson and Son and by Callander and Dixon, Whitehaven, Cumberland, 1852.
Tipped in opposite p.36 of A Handbook of the Whitehaven and Furness Railway, by John Linton.
printed at bottom left, right, centre:-
R. Shepherd delt. / W. H. Lizars sc. / EGREMONT CASTLE.

placename:- Egremont Castle
date:- 1852
period:- 19th century, late

old print:- Rose 1832-35 (vol.3 no.52)

Engravings - Westmorland, Cumberland, Durham and Northumberland Illustrated; from drawings by Thomas Allom, George Pickering, and H Gastineau, described by Thomas Rose, published by H Fisher, R Fisher, and P Jackson, Newgate Street, London, 1832-35.
thumbnail PR0051, button to large image
Print, uncoloured engraving, Egremont, from the Ravenglass Road, Cumberland, drawn by G Pickering, engraved by W Taylor, published by Fisher, Son and Co, London, 1835.
vol.3 pl.51 in the set of prints, Westmorland, Cumberland, Durham and Northumberland Illustrated.
printed at bottom left, right, centre:-
G. Pickering. / [W. Taylor.] / EGREMONT, FROM THE RAVENGLASS ROAD, CUMBERLAND. / FISHER, SON & CO. LONDON, 1835.
date:- 1835
period:- 19th century, early

descriptive text:- Hearne and Byrne 1786

Book, Antiquities of Great Britain, prints from drawings by Thomas Hearne, engraved by William Byrne, published by Hearne and Byrne, London, 1786; published 1786-1807.
thumbnail BMZ03, button to large image
Print, engraving, Egremont Castle, drawn by Thomas Hearne, engraved by William Byrne and Samuel Middiman, published by T Hearne and W Byrne, London, 1786.
Plate 7 ?from the Antiquities of Great Britain, published 1786-1807; with descriptive text:-
EGREMONT CASTLE
Is situated upon the top of an hill or mount near the river Egan (now corruptly called End), from which it is supposed to have derived its name, i.e. Ege-er-mont.
Ranulph de Meschines, the first Earl of Chester of that name, to whom the Conqueror had given the whole county of Cumberland, granted the great barony of Coupland, which contained all the land betwixt the rivers Dudene and Darwent, to William de Meschines his brother; who thereupon seated himself at Egremont, where he built the Castle, and made it the head of his barony; from whence all the lands within the district of Coupland were held of the Castle in Egremont.
He married Cecily de Romely, lady of the honour or manor of Skipton in Yorkshire, and had issue Alice de Romely, who in respect of the great estate she inherited from her mother, retained her name.
She married William Fitz-Duncan, Earl of Murray in Scotland, and had three daughters, co-heiresses, of which Amabel the second married Reginald de Lucy, and had for her portion the Castle and Barony of Egremont.
From the De Lucys' by an heiress, they descended to the Percys Earls of Northumberland, who held them till the last century, when that great House expired in an heir-female married to Charles Seymour, Duke of Somerset; who settled Egremont upon his grandson, Sir Charles Wyndham of Orchard Wyndham, in the county of Somerset, Baronet. In the year 1749, Algernon Seymour, Duke of Somerset, son of Charles, was created Earl of Egremont, with limitation of that honour to his nephew the said Sir Charles Wyndham, Baronet, and dying the year following, Sir Charles accordingly succeeded thereto, and was father of George the present Earl.
This castle, though not of great extent, appears from the present remains to have been a place of considerable strength. The Print shows the approach from the south, which was the principal entrance by a draw-bridge over a deep moat, which surrounded the Castle: the access is by a gateway surmounted by a strong tower. The walls enclosed a considerable area, forming a square, but are now so much decayed, that no conjecture can be made in what manner they were guarded. On the side next the town a postern is now standing. To the west from the area, there is an ascent to three narrow gates, standing in a line, which had a communication with some out-works; these are apparently of more modern architecture than the tower and gate-way before mentioned; they were defended by a portcullis to each gate, and communicated with a circular tower which fell down a few years since. This tower was erected on a remarkable mole or mount, seventy-eight feet perpendicular above the ditch.
The circular arch over the entrance, and the manner of building the lower part of the wall, seem to indicate, that this castle was raised on a foundation of more remote origin than the Norman invasion.
This view was taken in 1777.
person:- : Meschines, William de
person:- : Lucy Family
person:- : Percy Family
person:- : Seymour, Charles; Somerset, Duke of
person:- : Wyndham Charles, Sir
date:- 1786
period:- 18th century, late

old print:- Buck 1739/1837 (edn 1877)

thumbnail BU0118, button to large image
Print, uncoloured engraving, The South West View of Egremont Castle, in the County of Cumberland, drawn and engraved by Samuel and Nathaniel Buck, 1739, reprinted by Hudson Scott and Sons, Carlisle, Cumberland, 1877.
With descriptive text of 1837.
No.18 in The Castles, Abbeys, and Priories of the County of Cumberland, 1877.
printed at top:-
THE SOUTH-EAST VIEW OF EGREMONT-CASTLE, IN THE COUNTY OF CUMBERLAND.
printed at lower left:-
To the Right Honble: Algernon Earl of Hartford, Son & Heir Apparent to his Grace the Duke of Somerset & Baron Percy Ld. Lieutenent & Custos Rotulorum of ye County of Sussex Captain of the second Troop of Horse, Guard, Governor of Tynemouth Castle, and of the Island of Minorca &c. This PROSPECT is humbly Inscrib'd by his Lordships most Obedt. Servants: Saml. & Nathl. Buck.
printed at lower right:-
THIS Castle was built soon after ye Conquest, by William de Meschines Brother of Ranulph ye first Earl of Cumberland, who gave Him the barony of Copeland, in wch. He was confirm'd by K. Hen. I. when that Barony was changed to ye Barony of Egremont. From him, for want of Male Issue, it pass'd successively to ye Lucies, Moltons, Fitz-Walters, & Radcliffs Els. of Sussex. In ye Reign of K. H. VI. Sr, Thos. Percy was created Baron of Egremont, & tho' He left no Issue, ye Barony remain'd in ye Famly. of ye Percies Els. of Northumberld. tilll Joceline ye last El. who left only a Daughter, married to His Grace Charles Seymour, ye present Duke of Somerset who is in Her Rt. possess'd of ye Castle. Saml. & Nathl. Buck delin: et sculp: Publish'd according to Act of Parliament March 26. 1739.

placename:- Egremont Castle
person:- : Hartford, Earl of
person:- : Meschines, William de
person:- : Lucy Family
person:- : Molton Family
person:- : Fitz-Walter Family
person:- : Radcliff Family
person:- : Percy Family
person:- : Egremont, Baron
person:- : Seymour, Charles; Somerset, Duke of
date:- 1739
period:- 18th century, early

old print:-
thumbnail PR0185, button to large image
Print, uncoloured engraving, The South West View of Egremont Castle, Cumberland, about 1769.
Included in vol.3 p.6 of a set of castle pictures?
printed at bottom:-
The South West View of Egremont Castle, in the County of Cumberland.
printed at top left of page:-
Vol.III pa.6.

placename:- Egremont Castle
date:- 1769
period:- 18th century, late

old print:-
thumbnail PR0277, button to large image
Print, uncoloured engraving, Egremont Castle, Cumberland, drawn by R Shepherd, perhaps published by Whittaker and Co, London, et al, 1852.
Perhaps plate 4 in A Handbook of the Whitehaven and Furness Railway?
printed at bottom left, centre:-
R. Shepherd delt. / EGREMONT CASTLE

placename:- Egremont Castle
date:- 1852
period:- 19th century, late

old print:- Lowther 1780s-90s

Scrapbook, 4 volumes, of descriptive texts, maps, and prints of views and coats of arms, for Westmorland and Cumberland, assembled by a member of the Lowther Family, late 18th early 19th century.
thumbnail BMZ78, button to large image
Print, engraving, South West View of Egremont Castle, Cumberland now Cumbria, late 18th century.
date:- 1760=1799
period:- 18th century, late

old print:- Linton 1852

Guide book, A Handbook of the Whitehaven and Furness Railway, guide to the Lake District etc, by John Linton, published by Whittaker and Co, London, etc, 1852.
thumbnail LN1E05, button to large image
Print, engraving, Egremont Castle, Cumberland, drawn by R Shepherd, engraved by W H Lizars, Edinburgh, published by Whittaker and Co, London, and by R Gibson and Son and by Callander and Dixon, Whitehaven, Cumberland, 1852.
Tipped in opposite p.36 of A Handbook of the Whitehaven and Furness Railway, by John Linton.
printed at bottom left, right, centre:-
R. Shepherd delt. / W. H. Lizars sc. / EGREMONT CASTLE.

placename:- Egremont Castle
date:- 1852
period:- 19th century, late

old print:- Rose 1832-35 (vol.3 no.52)

Engravings - Westmorland, Cumberland, Durham and Northumberland Illustrated; from drawings by Thomas Allom, George Pickering, and H Gastineau, described by Thomas Rose, published by H Fisher, R Fisher, and P Jackson, Newgate Street, London, 1832-35.
thumbnail PR0051, button to large image
Print, uncoloured engraving, Egremont, from the Ravenglass Road, Cumberland, drawn by G Pickering, engraved by W Taylor, published by Fisher, Son and Co, London, 1835.
vol.3 pl.51 in the set of prints, Westmorland, Cumberland, Durham and Northumberland Illustrated.
printed at bottom left, right, centre:-
G. Pickering. / [W. Taylor.] / EGREMONT, FROM THE RAVENGLASS ROAD, CUMBERLAND. / FISHER, SON & CO. LONDON, 1835.
date:- 1835
period:- 19th century, early

descriptive text:- Hearne and Byrne 1786

Book, Antiquities of Great Britain, prints from drawings by Thomas Hearne, engraved by William Byrne, published by Hearne and Byrne, London, 1786; published 1786-1807.
thumbnail BMZ03, button to large image
Print, engraving, Egremont Castle, drawn by Thomas Hearne, engraved by William Byrne and Samuel Middiman, published by T Hearne and W Byrne, London, 1786.
Plate 7 ?from the Antiquities of Great Britain, published 1786-1807; with descriptive text:-
EGREMONT CASTLE
Is situated upon the top of an hill or mount near the river Egan (now corruptly called End), from which it is supposed to have derived its name, i.e. Ege-er-mont.
Ranulph de Meschines, the first Earl of Chester of that name, to whom the Conqueror had given the whole county of Cumberland, granted the great barony of Coupland, which contained all the land betwixt the rivers Dudene and Darwent, to William de Meschines his brother; who thereupon seated himself at Egremont, where he built the Castle, and made it the head of his barony; from whence all the lands within the district of Coupland were held of the Castle in Egremont.
He married Cecily de Romely, lady of the honour or manor of Skipton in Yorkshire, and had issue Alice de Romely, who in respect of the great estate she inherited from her mother, retained her name.
She married William Fitz-Duncan, Earl of Murray in Scotland, and had three daughters, co-heiresses, of which Amabel the second married Reginald de Lucy, and had for her portion the Castle and Barony of Egremont.
From the De Lucys' by an heiress, they descended to the Percys Earls of Northumberland, who held them till the last century, when that great House expired in an heir-female married to Charles Seymour, Duke of Somerset; who settled Egremont upon his grandson, Sir Charles Wyndham of Orchard Wyndham, in the county of Somerset, Baronet. In the year 1749, Algernon Seymour, Duke of Somerset, son of Charles, was created Earl of Egremont, with limitation of that honour to his nephew the said Sir Charles Wyndham, Baronet, and dying the year following, Sir Charles accordingly succeeded thereto, and was father of George the present Earl.
This castle, though not of great extent, appears from the present remains to have been a place of considerable strength. The Print shows the approach from the south, which was the principal entrance by a draw-bridge over a deep moat, which surrounded the Castle: the access is by a gateway surmounted by a strong tower. The walls enclosed a considerable area, forming a square, but are now so much decayed, that no conjecture can be made in what manner they were guarded. On the side next the town a postern is now standing. To the west from the area, there is an ascent to three narrow gates, standing in a line, which had a communication with some out-works; these are apparently of more modern architecture than the tower and gate-way before mentioned; they were defended by a portcullis to each gate, and communicated with a circular tower which fell down a few years since. This tower was erected on a remarkable mole or mount, seventy-eight feet perpendicular above the ditch.
The circular arch over the entrance, and the manner of building the lower part of the wall, seem to indicate, that this castle was raised on a foundation of more remote origin than the Norman invasion.
This view was taken in 1777.
person:- : Meschines, William de
person:- : Lucy Family
person:- : Percy Family
person:- : Seymour, Charles; Somerset, Duke of
person:- : Wyndham Charles, Sir
date:- 1786
period:- 18th century, late

old print:- Buck 1739/1837 (edn 1877)

thumbnail BU0118, button to large image
Print, uncoloured engraving, The South West View of Egremont Castle, in the County of Cumberland, drawn and engraved by Samuel and Nathaniel Buck, 1739, reprinted by Hudson Scott and Sons, Carlisle, Cumberland, 1877.
With descriptive text of 1837.
No.18 in The Castles, Abbeys, and Priories of the County of Cumberland, 1877.
printed at top:-
THE SOUTH-EAST VIEW OF EGREMONT-CASTLE, IN THE COUNTY OF CUMBERLAND.
printed at lower left:-
To the Right Honble: Algernon Earl of Hartford, Son & Heir Apparent to his Grace the Duke of Somerset & Baron Percy Ld. Lieutenent & Custos Rotulorum of ye County of Sussex Captain of the second Troop of Horse, Guard, Governor of Tynemouth Castle, and of the Island of Minorca &c. This PROSPECT is humbly Inscrib'd by his Lordships most Obedt. Servants: Saml. & Nathl. Buck.
printed at lower right:-
THIS Castle was built soon after ye Conquest, by William de Meschines Brother of Ranulph ye first Earl of Cumberland, who gave Him the barony of Copeland, in wch. He was confirm'd by K. Hen. I. when that Barony was changed to ye Barony of Egremont. From him, for want of Male Issue, it pass'd successively to ye Lucies, Moltons, Fitz-Walters, & Radcliffs Els. of Sussex. In ye Reign of K. H. VI. Sr, Thos. Percy was created Baron of Egremont, & tho' He left no Issue, ye Barony remain'd in ye Famly. of ye Percies Els. of Northumberld. tilll Joceline ye last El. who left only a Daughter, married to His Grace Charles Seymour, ye present Duke of Somerset who is in Her Rt. possess'd of ye Castle. Saml. & Nathl. Buck delin: et sculp: Publish'd according to Act of Parliament March 26. 1739.

placename:- Egremont Castle
person:- : Hartford, Earl of
person:- : Meschines, William de
person:- : Lucy Family
person:- : Molton Family
person:- : Fitz-Walter Family
person:- : Radcliff Family
person:- : Percy Family
person:- : Egremont, Baron
person:- : Seymour, Charles; Somerset, Duke of
date:- 1739
period:- 18th century, early

old print:-
thumbnail PR0185, button to large image
Print, uncoloured engraving, The South West View of Egremont Castle, Cumberland, about 1769.
Included in vol.3 p.6 of a set of castle pictures?
printed at bottom:-
The South West View of Egremont Castle, in the County of Cumberland.
printed at top left of page:-
Vol.III pa.6.

placename:- Egremont Castle
date:- 1769
period:- 18th century, late

old print:-
thumbnail PR0277, button to large image
Print, uncoloured engraving, Egremont Castle, Cumberland, drawn by R Shepherd, perhaps published by Whittaker and Co, London, et al, 1852.
Perhaps plate 4 in A Handbook of the Whitehaven and Furness Railway?
printed at bottom left, centre:-
R. Shepherd delt. / EGREMONT CASTLE

placename:- Egremont Castle
date:- 1852
period:- 19th century, late

old print:- Lowther 1780s-90s

Scrapbook, 4 volumes, of descriptive texts, maps, and prints of views and coats of arms, for Westmorland and Cumberland, assembled by a member of the Lowther Family, late 18th early 19th century.
thumbnail BMZ78, button to large image
Print, engraving, South West View of Egremont Castle, Cumberland now Cumbria, late 18th century.
date:- 1760=1799
period:- 18th century, late

photographs
tiny photograph, 
button to large Egremont Castle -- Egremont -- Egremont -- Cumbria / -- 24.4.2006

story Built about 1135; gatehouse, curtain wall, ruins of domestic buildings.
The Horn of Egremont used to hang over the castle gate, and could only be blown by the true Lord of Egremont. The true lord, Sir Eustace de Lucy and his brother Hubert went to the Crusades. Hubert hired assassins to drown Eustace in the Jordan, and rode home to claim the estate. Sir Eustace, who had escaped, arrived back, and, as the true lord, blew the horn. Hubert made haste away ...

Old Cumbria Gazetteer - JandMN: 2008

button to lakes menu  Lakes Guides menu.

©  Martin and Jean Norgate: 2012
mailto button  email:- JandMN@norgate.freeserve.co.uk
button, online connection  Other projects

button, online connection  Geography Department, Portsmouth University