button to main menu   Old Cumbria Gazetteer
placename:- Eskdale Mill
other name:- Eskdale Corn Mill
MDA code:-
site name:- Whillan Beck
locality:- Boot
parish Eskdale parish, once in Cumberland
county:- Cumbria
museum; art gallery; mill
coordinates:- NY17630114
10Km square:- NY10

1Km square NY1701

photograph

Eskdale Mill -- Whillan Beck -- Boot -- Eskdale -- Cumbria / -- 13.10.2006
photograph

Eskdale Mill -- Whillan Beck -- Boot -- Eskdale -- Cumbria / -- 13.10.2006

database:- Listed Buildings 2010

Listed Buildings 2010

courtesy of English Heritage
ESKDALE CORN MILL / / / ESKDALE / COPELAND / CUMBRIA / II[star] / 76210 / NY1764201146
courtesy of English Heritage
Corn Mill. Mentioned in 1578 Percy family Survey; extended (and 2nd waterwheel added) for Edward Hartley, miller 1737-72. Restored 1975 for Cumbria County Council. Snecked rubble with quoins. Graduated slate roofs with stone ridges. T-shaped plan on sloping site. Main building, 2 low storeys comprising peat store with drying floor above, mill machinery, and adjoining store wing (now exhibition area); single-storey lean-to bakehouse adjoins south end. West elevation: Higher north block has plank door to each floor and asymmetrical casement windows; wing has cart entrance on north side and plank door with 2 windows on south; south block has plank door to lower floor under slate canopy; plank door and casement window to bakehouse. East elevation: Two 12 ft overshot waterwheels to south block (both iron-framed, one in working order with wooden floats). Interior: Perforated metal drying floor heated by peat kiln below; intact wooden machinery on both floors (2 grindstones); beehive oven and copper in bakehouse. Now open to public.

placename:- Eskdale Corn Mill
district:- Copeland
listed building
coordinates:- NY17640114
date:- 2010
period:- 2010s

old print:- Rose 1832-35 (vol.2 no.72)

Engravings - Westmorland, Cumberland, Durham and Northumberland Illustrated; from drawings by Thomas Allom, George Pickering, and H Gastineau, described by Thomas Rose, published by H Fisher, R Fisher, and P Jackson, Newgate Street, London, 1832-35.
thumbnail PR0031, button to large image
Print, uncoloured engraving, Eskdale Mill, Wilton Beck, Cumberland, drawn by Thomas Allom, engraved by A Le Petit, published by Fisher, Son and Co, London, 1834.
vol.2 pl.72 in the set of prints, Westmorland, Cumberland, Durham and Northumberland Illustrated. The beck is the Whillan Beck.
printed at bottom left, right, centre:-
T. Allom. / A. Le Petit. / ESKDALE MILL, WILTON BECK, CUMBERLAND. / FISHER, SON & CO. LONDON, 1834.

placename:- Eskdale Mill
date:- 1834
period:- 19th century, early

old print:- Rose 1832-35

Engravings - Westmorland, Cumberland, Durham and Northumberland Illustrated; from drawings by Thomas Allom, George Pickering, and H Gastineau, described by Thomas Rose, published by H Fisher, R Fisher, and P Jackson, Newgate Street, London, 1832-35.
thumbnail R272, button to large image
Eskdale Mill, Wilton Beck, Cumberland
Drawn by Thomas Allom, engraved by A le Petit, 1833.
date:- 1833
period:- 19th century, early; 1830s

old print:- Barber and Atkinson 1927

thumbnail AK0403, button to large image
Print, halftone photograph, Whillan Beck and Old Mill, Boot, Eskdale, Cumberland, by E H Atkinson, published by James Atkinson, Caxton Printing Works, Ulverston, Lancashire, 1928.
Tipped in opposite p.18 of Lakeland Passes, by John B Barber and George Atkinson, 1927, 3rd edn 1928.
at inter negative:-
BOOT, WHILLAN BECK & OLD MILL / Atkinson's Series 949
printed at bottom:-
Photo E. H. Atkinson) Beginning of Walk from Boot over Burn Moor to Wasdale Head. (To face plage 18.
date:- 1927
period:- 1920s

photographs
tiny photograph, 
button to large Eskdale Mill -- Whillan Beck -- Boot -- Eskdale -- Cumbria / -- 13.10.2006
tiny photograph, 
button to large Eskdale Mill -- Whillan Beck -- Boot -- Eskdale -- Cumbria / -- 13.10.2006
tiny photograph, 
button to large Eskdale Mill -- Whillan Beck -- Boot -- Eskdale -- Cumbria / -- 13.10.2006

hearsay There has been a corn mill here since at least 1294. The present mill was recorded in 1578, at which time Henry and Robert Vicars were the millers.

Old Cumbria Gazetteer - JandMN: 2008

button to lakes menu  Lakes Guides menu.

©  Martin and Jean Norgate: 2012
mailto button  email:- JandMN@norgate.freeserve.co.uk
button, online connection  Other projects

button, online connection  Geography Department, Portsmouth University