button to main menu   Old Cumbria Gazetteer
placename:- Giant's Thumb
site name:- St Andrew's Church
locality:- Penrith
parish Penrith town, once in Cumberland
county:- Cumbria
cross
coordinates:- NY516301
10Km square:- NY53

1Km square NY5130

photograph

Giant's Thumb -- St Andrew's Church -- Penrith -- Penrith -- Cumbria / -- 12.5.2006
photograph

Giant's Thumb -- St Andrew's Church -- Penrith -- Penrith -- Cumbria / -- 17.10.2007

descriptive text:- Ford 1839 (3rd edn 1843)

Description of Scenery in the Lake District, by William Ford, published by Charles Thurnham, London, et al, 1839; published 1839-52.
Page 131:-
[Penrith] ... In the churchyard is a curious relic of antiquity, called the Giant's Grave, ... Near them is another pillar named the Giant's Thumb, but it is six feet in height. ...

placename:- Giant's Thumb
date:- 1839
period:- 19th century, early; 1830s

old text:- Camden 1789 (Gough Additions)

Britannia, or A Chorographical Description of the Flourishing Kingdoms of England, Scotland, and Ireland, by William Camden, 1586, translated from the 1607 Latin edition by Richard Gough, published London, 1789.
Page 189:-
... a stone called the Giant's Thumb, six feet high, 14 inches at the base contracted to 10, which is no more than a rude cross, such as is at Langtown in this county and elsewhere: the circle of the cross 18 inches diameter. ...

placename:- Giant's Thumb
date:- 1789
period:- 18th century, late; 1780s

old print:-
thumbnail PR0110, button to large image
Print, uncoloured engraving, Monumental Stone, Penrith, Cumberland, ie the Giant's Thumb, drawn by G Arnald, engraved by J Greig, published by W Clarke, New Bond Street, 1817.
Included in the Antiquarian Itinerary.
printed at bottom:-
Engraved by J. Greig from a Sketch by G. Arnald for the Antiquarian Itinerary. / Monumental Stone, Penrith, Cumberland. / Published for the proprietors June 1. 1817. by W. Clarke. New Bond Street.
date:- 1818
period:- 19th century, early

old print:- Calverley 1899

Notes on the Early Sulptured Crosses, Shrines and Monuments in the Present Diocese of Carisle, by Rev William Slater Calverley, edited by W G Collingwood, published for the Cumberland and Westmorland Antiquarian and Archaeological Society, by Titus Wilson, Kendal, Westmorland, 1899.
thumbnail CV1133, button to large image
Photograph by James Huff.
date:- 1899
period:- 19th century, late; 1890s

Old Cumbria Gazetteer - JandMN: 2008

button to lakes menu  Lakes Guides menu.

©  Martin and Jean Norgate: 2012
mailto button  email:- JandMN@norgate.freeserve.co.uk
button, online connection  Other projects

button, online connection  Geography Department, Portsmouth University