button to main menu   Old Cumbria Gazetteer
placename:- Hill Top
other name:- Hill Top Farm
locality:- Near Sawrey
parish Claife parish, once in Lancashire
county:- Cumbria
building/s; museum
coordinates:- SD37009556
10Km square:- SD39

1Km square SD3795

database:- Listed Buildings 2010

Listed Buildings 2010

courtesy of English Heritage
HILL TOP / / B 5285 / CLAIFE / SOUTH LAKELAND / CUMBRIA / II[star] / 76724 / SD3700995563
courtesy of English Heritage
House, now museum, with farmhouse attached. C17 or early C18 with mid to late C18 alterations and 1906 addition for Beatrix Potter. Roughcast stone with slate roof. 2 storeys, 4 bays, the 1st bay projects under gable with pentice over ground floor and datestone reading: "1906/HBP". Windows are sashed with glazing bars, those to 1st bay and 1st floor of 2nd bay have horns. Plain entrance to 1st bay; entrance to 3rd bay has gabled slate slab porch and 6-fielded-panel door. Cross-axial stack and gable-end stack. Right return has small casement window. Rear has projecting stair wing with gabled projecting wing to right. Stair window has wooden cross-casement with leaded glazing tied back to iron bars. Gable-end stack to stair wing. Interior: Hall has panelling and fielded-panelled cupboard doors. Fireplace has C19 range. Parlour has C18 panelling with fluted flat pilasters and bed cupboard and pantry. Early C19 white and coloured marble fireplace. Staircase has column balusters, fluted square newels and ramped handrail. 1st floor has wide-board door; fireplace inscribed: "WHB/1934", C17 stone fireplace. C17 back stair. Hill Top was bought by Beatrix Potter in 1906 and was used by her as an occasional retreat and for her writing. She illustrated the house in many of her books, principally 'The Tale of Tom Kitten', 1907, 'The Tale of Samuel Whiskers', 1908, and 'The Tale of Jemima Puddleduck', 1908. She left the farm to The National Trust.

placename:- Hill Top
district:- South Lakeland
listed building
coordinates:- SD37009556
person:- author : Potter, Beatrix
date:- 2010
period:- 2010s

database:- Listed Buildings 2010

Listed Buildings 2010

courtesy of English Heritage
GATE TO SOUTH OF HILL TOP / / B 5285 / CLAIFE / SOUTH LAKELAND / CUMBRIA / II / 76725 / SD3701795551
courtesy of English Heritage
Gate. Probably early C20, for Beatrix Potter. Wrought iron. Decorative ironwork to gate which is attached to dry stone walls. Bee bole to wall to west on south side. The gate is opposite the entrance to Hill Top and appears in 'The Tale of Jemima Puddleduck', 1908, p.12.
district:- South Lakeland
listed building -- gate
coordinates:- SD37019555
date:- 2010
period:- 2010s

hearsay Beatrix Potter bought Hill Top in 1905, stayed but never lived there; and later, much of the land surrounding Wray Castle.

button   bee boles, Near Sawrey
button   sundial, Near Sawrey

Old Cumbria Gazetteer - JandMN: 2013

button to lakes menu  Lakes Guides menu.

©  Martin and Jean Norgate: 2014
mailto button  email:- JandMN@norgate.freeserve.co.uk
button, online connection  Other projects

button, online connection  Geography Department, Portsmouth University