button to main menu   Old Cumbria Gazetteer
www.dove.cccbr.org.uk
placename:- Holy Trinity Church
other name:- Brathay Church
locality:- Brathay
parish Skelwith parish, once in Lancashire
county:- Cumbria
church
coordinates:- NY36230328
10Km square:- NY30
References : 2005: Diocese of Carlisle, Directory 2004/5

1Km square NY3603

photograph

Holy Trinity Church -- Brathay -- Skelwith -- Cumbria / -- 15.2.2008
photograph

Holy Trinity Church -- Brathay -- Skelwith -- Cumbria / -- 5.12.2005

old map:- Nurse 1918

Map, The Diocese of Carlisle, Cumberland, Westmorland, and Lancashire North of the Sands, now Cumbria, scale about 4 miles to 1 inch, by Rev Euston J Nurse, published by Charles Thurnam and Sons, 11 English Street, Carlisle, Cumberland, 1918 and 2nd edn 1939.
thumbnail NUR1NY30, button to large image
BRATHAY
site name:- Ambleside Rural Deanery
site name:- Archdeaconry of Westmorland
site name:- Diocese of Carlisle
date:- 1939
period:- 1930s

old map:- Prior 1874 map 1

Map, Winander Mere, scale about 2.5 miles to 1 inch, published by John Garnett, Windermere, Westmorland, 1874.
thumbnail PI03M1, button to large image
Brathay Cha.
cross; church

placename:- Brathay Chapel
date:- 1874
period:- 19th century, late; 1870s

source:- Martineau 1855

Guide book, A Complete Guide to the English Lakes, by Harriet Martineau, published by John Garnett, Windermere, Westmorland, and by Whittaker and Co, London, 1855; published 1855-71.
Page 19:-
... on a wooded knoll in the gorge of the valley, the beautiful little church, called Brathay Chapel, built by Mr. Redmayne. ...
...
Page 44:-
... the Brathay valley, with its pretty little church on its knoll, ...
...
Page 46:-
... crossing Brathay Bridge, and passing the parsonage. When the stranger sees the churchyard gate, he must alight, and walk up to the church. From the rock there he commands the mountain range from Coniston Old Man to the Langdale Pikes: the Brathay flows beneath, through its quiet meadows; and its dashing among the rocks, just under his feet, catches his ear;- Loughrigg, with its copses and crags and purple heather, rises immediately before him: and to the right he sees a part of Ambleside nestling between the hills, and a stretch of the lake. This churchyard has the first daffodils and snowdrops on the southern side of its rock; and, in its copse, the earliest wood anemones. Throughout the valley, spring flowers, and the yellow and white broom abound.

placename:- Brathay Chapel
viewpoint
person:- : Redmayne, Mr
date:- 1855
period:- 19th century, late; 1850s

old print:- Atkinson 1847 (5th edn 1850)

Guide book, Handbook to the English Lakes, published by Thomas Atkinson, Kendal, Westmorland, 1847; published 1847-53.
thumbnail AK2E04, button to large image
Print, woodcut engraving, Brathay District Church, Holy Trinity, Brathay, Skelwith, Westmorland, by T W Holme, engraved by George Measom, published by Thomas Atkinson, Kendal, Westmorland, 1850.
On p.17 of a Handbook to the English Lakes, 5th edn.
printed at bottom left, right, centre:-
TWHolme / G. MEASOM / Brathay District Church.

placename:- Brathay District Church
date:- 1850
period:- 19th century, late

database:- Listed Buildings 2010

Listed Buildings 2010

courtesy of English Heritage
CHURCH OF HOLY TRINITY / / BOG LANE / SKELWITH / SOUTH LAKELAND / CUMBRIA / II / 76888 / NY3622503298
courtesy of English Heritage
Church. 1836. For Giles Redmayne. Stucco with stone dressings, slate roof. 6-bay nave with short chancel and south-west tower (ritual west is actual south). Pilaster buttresses and corbelled frieze; coped gables to nave. Tower has set back buttresses and string courses; weathering over 2nd stage. West round-headed window and south entrance of one order and studded door. 2nd stage has 2 slots to each face; bell stage has 2-light round-headed louvred bell openings. Nave has round-headed windows, 3 to south and 2 to north have later C19 2-light tracery with transoms. West has 1:2:1-light windows, stepped string course over and top roundel; square pinnacle to left. West bay of north side is recessed with gabled porch. Chancel has hipped roof, 3-light traceried east window; north gabled vestry and taller flat roofed organ loft with stack. Interior has deep arch-braced roof with traceried spandrels. East bay of nave has traceried timber screen and stalls, open to centre. Chancel arch has roll moulding and columns with scalloped capitals. Traceried panelling and reredos. Octagonal font with inscription, on squat round shaft. Some good C19 stained glass to north and south and some decorative panels to west.

placename:- Church of Holy Trinity
district:- South Lakeland
listed building
coordinates:- NY36220329
date:- 2010
period:- 2010s

incumbents:-
Marriner, John 1836=1837
Palmer, J B 1837=1839
Boutflower, S P 1840=1842
Hodgson, William 1842=1856
Boutflower, S P 1856=1868
Callender, H S 1868=1885
Rawson, C S 1885=1899
Hulbert, C L 1900=1903
Baines, T H 1903=1931

source:- Dove 2009

diocese:- Carlisle Diocese
locality:- Brathay
coordinates:- NY362033

photographs
tiny photograph, 
button to large Holy Trinity Church -- Brathay -- Skelwith -- Cumbria / -- Access to the ringing chamber. -- 20.2.2010

photographs
tiny photograph, 
button to large Holy Trinity Church -- Brathay -- Skelwith -- Cumbria / -- List of bells cast by Thomas Mears, London, 1836. -- 20.2.2010
tiny photograph, 
button to large Holy Trinity Church -- Brathay -- Skelwith -- Cumbria / -- List of bells tuned etc by Hayward Mills Associates, Nottingham, 2000. -- 20.2.2010
tiny photograph, 
button to large Holy Trinity Church -- Brathay -- Skelwith -- Cumbria / -- 10080 changes of Treble Bob Minor, by the Lancashire Association of Change Ringers, 1908. -- 20.2.2010
tiny photograph, 
button to large Holy Trinity Church -- Brathay -- Skelwith -- Cumbria / -- 10080 changes of Treble Bob Minor, by the Lancashire Association of Change Ringers, 1909. -- 20.2.2010

Dove data number of bells: 6
weight of tenor: 6 cwt 3 qtr 26 lb (782lbs)
pitch of tenor: A (872Hz)
scale:-
A, B, C sharp, D, E, F sharp
First 6 notes; intervals TTSTT; A major.
Bells cast by Thomas Mears, 1836.
Dove 2009
Data courtesy of the Central Council of Church Bell Ringers

references Handley, Diana: 1983: Notes on Furness Branch Bells::: inscriptions and history

photographs
tiny photograph, 
button to large Holy Trinity Church -- Brathay -- Skelwith -- Cumbria / -- Organ. -- 5.12.2005
tiny photograph, 
button to large Holy Trinity Church -- Brathay -- Skelwith -- Cumbria / -- Poor box:- -- 'ALMS' -- 5.12.2005
tiny photograph, 
button to large Holy Trinity Church -- Brathay -- Skelwith -- Cumbria / -- Memorial to -- 5.12.2005
tiny photograph, 
button to large Holy Trinity Church -- Brathay -- Skelwith -- Cumbria / -- Seat, memorial to Janet Faulkner, died 2006. -- 20.2.2010
tiny photograph, 
button to large Holy Trinity Church -- Brathay -- Skelwith -- Cumbria / -- 5.12.2005
tiny photograph, 
button to large Holy Trinity Church -- Brathay -- Skelwith -- Cumbria / -- 5.12.2005

hearsay Built in an italianate style, 1838, paid for by Giles Redmayne of Brathay Hall who had made a fortune trading in silks from Italy. Wordsworth said:-
There is not a situation outside the Alps or among them more beautiful than this.

button   bell house, Kendal
button   ring of bells, Brathay
button   ring of bells, Casterton
button   ring of bells, Kendal
button   ring of bells, Langdale
button   sundial, Colton
button   sundial, Kendal
button   sundial, Seathwaite
button   sundial, Winster
button   war memorial, Grange
button   war memorial, Howgill

Old Cumbria Gazetteer - JandMN: 2013

button to lakes menu  Lakes Guides menu.

©  Martin and Jean Norgate: 2014
mailto button  email:- JandMN@norgate.freeserve.co.uk
button, online connection  Other projects

button, online connection  Geography Department, Portsmouth University