button to main menu   Old Cumbria Gazetteer
placename:- Holy Trinity Church
other name:- Colton Church
locality:- Colton
parish Colton parish, once in Lancashire
county:- Cumbria
church
coordinates:- SD31838604
10Km square:- SD38
References : 2005: Diocese of Carlisle, Directory 2004/5

1Km square SD3186

photograph

Holy Trinity Church -- Colton -- Colton -- Cumbria / -- 15.8.2006
photograph

Holy Trinity Church -- Colton -- Colton -- Cumbria / -- 15.8.2006

old map:- Nurse 1918

Map, The Diocese of Carlisle, Cumberland, Westmorland, and Lancashire North of the Sands, now Cumbria, scale about 4 miles to 1 inch, by Rev Euston J Nurse, published by Charles Thurnam and Sons, 11 English Street, Carlisle, Cumberland, 1918 and 2nd edn 1939.
thumbnail NUR1SD38, button to large image
COLTON
site name:- Cartmel Rural Deanery
site name:- Archdeaconry of Furness
site name:- Diocese of Carlisle
date:- 1939
period:- 1930s

old map:- Garnett 1850s-60s H

Map of the English Lakes, scale about 3.5 miles to 1 inch, published by John Garnett, Windermere, Westmorland, 1850s-60s.
thumbnail GAR2SD38, button to large image
cross, a church
date:- 1850=1869
period:- 19th century, late; 1850s; 1860s

database:- Listed Buildings 2010

Listed Buildings 2010

courtesy of English Heritage
CHURCH OF HOLY TRINITY / / / COLTON / SOUTH LAKELAND / CUMBRIA / II / 421185 / SD3184786049
courtesy of English Heritage
Church. 1578, tower early C17, transept 1721, vestry 1762, restored 1890. Roughcast stone with ashlar dressings and slate roof. Single-vessel nave and chancel of 5 bays, north transept and west tower with lean-to north vestry. Varied straight-headed mullioned windows, some replacements for wood frames. South facade has single-chamfered-mullioned window of 3 segmental-headed lights over gabled porch, originally to light gallery (removed); next 2 bays have windows with Tudor-headed lights; chancel has blocked hollow-chamfered arched entrance with tombstone of 1831, window of 2 cusped lights. North facade of nave has window of 2 segmental headed lights, one of 2 Tudor-headed lights and one of 3 Tudor-headed lights with upper window of 2 segmental-headed lights over small entrance. Transept has double-chamfered-mullioned windows of 3 segmental- headed lights to east and west, to north a window of 3 cusped lights, all with label moulds. Chancel has single cusped light to north, and 4-light cusped window to east under label mould. Tower has embattled parapet with 2 waterspouts to west. Small square west window with one of 2 round-headed lights over; plain straight-headed bell openings with stone louvres. Vestry has window of 2 segmental-headed lights. Interior: Roof trusses have 2 collars. West wall has painted text "DRAW NIGH UNTO GOD", long-case wall clock dated 1829 and George III arms. Plain font probably C16 but retooled. Transept has wall tablet to James Machell (died 1775) with scrolls, obelisk, urn and armorial bearing. Chancel has fittings of 1890 and communion rail with turned balusters, probably early C17. 4 windows with good early C20 stained glass to south side of church and one to north side.

placename:- Church of Holy Trinity
district:- South Lakeland
listed building
coordinates:- SD31848604
date:- 2010
period:- 2010s

database:- Listed Buildings 2010

Listed Buildings 2010

courtesy of English Heritage
WATER BASIN APPROXIMATELY 90 METRES TO WEST OF CHURCH OF HOLY TRINITY / / / COLTON / SOUTH LAKELAND / CUMBRIA / II / 421188 / SD3174686075
courtesy of English Heritage
Water basin. Date uncertain, but probably C16 or earlier. Stone rubble. Round retaining wall with inlet to south. Partially filled with earth, grass etc. Possibly originally a holy well, tradition states that it was used for baptisms.
district:- South Lakeland
listed building -- well
coordinates:- SD31748607
date:- 2010
period:- 2010s

database:- Listed Buildings 2010

Listed Buildings 2010

courtesy of English Heritage
MOUNTING BLOCK TO SOUTH OF CHURCHYARD WALL OF CHURCH OF HOLY TRINITY / / / COLTON / SOUTH LAKELAND / CUMBRIA / II / 421187 / SD3159886089
courtesy of English Heritage
Mounting block. 1767. Stone rubble. 5 steps.
district:- South Lakeland
listed building -- mounting block
coordinates:- SD31598608
date:- 2010
period:- 2010s

photographs
tiny photograph, 
button to large Holy Trinity Church -- Colton -- Colton -- Cumbria / -- Stained glass memorial window to Arthur Dickson of Abbots Reading and Underfield, d.1934. -- 15.8.2006
tiny photograph, 
button to large Holy Trinity Church -- Colton -- Colton -- Cumbria / -- Coat of arms in a memorial window to Arthur Dickson of Abbots Reading and Underfield, d.1934. -- 15.8.2006

photocopy Church Bells in the Archdeaconry of Furness:-
series 2 vol.2 p.282

imaget2002282.jpg
series 2 vol.2 plate opp p.282

imaget2002e02.jpg
series 2 vol.2 p.283

imaget2002283.jpg
series 2 vol.2 p.284

imaget2002284.jpg
series 2 vol.2 p.285

imaget2002285.jpg
series 2 vol.2 p.286

imaget2002286.jpg
Gaythorpe, Harper: 1901: Church Bells in the Archdeaconry of Furness; Colton, Kirkby Ireleth, Broughton, Woodland, and Seathwaite: TransCWAAS: series 2 vol.2: pp.282-306

incumbents:-
Greenup, William, Sir 1623 (before)
Willan, Bryan 1629
Myers, Bryan 1657
Wollong, Bryan 1660 (?)
Batty, Henry 1694
Taylor, Thomas 1697
Bateman, Robert 1726
Jackson, Edward 1761
Ellerton, Edward 1789
Townley, Jonathan 1823
Robinson, Rowland 1834
Clarke, Samuel Thomas 1848
Hart, Robert Slater 1867
Williams, Arthur Anderson 1884
Kirkham, Thomas 1894
Hartley, Thomas Procter 1899

photographs
tiny photograph, 
button to large Holy Trinity Church -- Colton -- Colton -- Cumbria / -- Coat of arms, George Rex. -- 15.8.2006
tiny photograph, 
button to large Holy Trinity Church -- Colton -- Colton -- Cumbria / -- Organ by James Connacher and Sons, Huddersfield. -- 28.5.2010
tiny photograph, 
button to large Holy Trinity Church -- Colton -- Colton -- Cumbria / -- 'JAMES CONNACHER & SONS / HUDDERSFIELD' -- 28.5.2010
tiny photograph, 
button to large Holy Trinity Church -- Colton -- Colton -- Cumbria / -- Board in church:- -- 'PARISH OF COLTON. / ADAM SANDYS, BENEFACTOR. L..S..D / CHIRSTOPHER CHAMNEY (TO THE CHURCH) ... 5..0..0 / DO. DO. (TO THE POOR) ... 5..0..0 / QUEEN ANNE'S BOUNTY ... 200.00.0 / CONTRIBUTIONS IN THE YEAR 1744 ... 200..0..0 / THOS. STRICKLAND (TO THE POOR) ... 60..0..0 / QUEEN ANNE'S BOUNTY IN 1816 ... 600..0..0 / MR. ROBT. BATEMAN, MINISTER 1727-1762 / CHURCH YARD ENLARGED IN 1886 ... 340..0..0 / CHURCH RESTORED IN 1890 ... 900.00.0' -- 28.5.2010
tiny photograph, 
button to large Holy Trinity Church -- Colton -- Colton -- Cumbria / -- Board in porch:- -- 'The Incorporated Church / Building Society / GRANTED 29 A.D. 1887 TOWARDS / RESEATING AND REPAIRING THIS CHURCH. / ALL THE SEATS ARE FOR THE FREE USE / OF THE PARISHIONERS ACCORDING TO LAW.' -- 28.5.2010
tiny photograph, 
button to large Holy Trinity Church -- Colton -- Colton -- Cumbria / -- 15.8.2006 -- Mounting block outside the church, called the horsing stone, made in 1767 for 12/-.

hearsay Built 1578; enlarged 1721 and 1762; restored 1890.
By a footpath to the church there is a well, St Cuthbert's Well, used for baptisms.

button   bell house, Kendal
button   ring of bells, Brathay
button   ring of bells, Casterton
button   ring of bells, Kendal
button "> ring of bells, Langdale
button   sundial, Colton
button   sundial, Kendal
button   sundial, Seathwaite
button   sundial, Winster
button   war memorial, Grange
   war memorial, Howgill

Old Cumbria Gazetteer - JandMN: 2013

button to lakes menu  Lakes Guides menu.

©  Martin and Jean Norgate: 2014
mailto button  email:- JandMN@norgate.freeserve.co.uk
button, online connection  Other projects

button, online connection  Geography Department, Portsmouth University