button to main menu   Old Cumbria Gazetteer
www.dove.cccbr.org.uk
placename:- Holy Trinity Church
other name:- Langdale Church
other name:- Chapel Stile Church
locality:- Chapel Stile
parish Lakes parish, once in Westmorland
county:- Cumbria
church
coordinates:- NY32090547
10Km square:- NY30
References : 2005: Diocese of Carlisle, Directory 2004/5

1Km square NY3205

photograph

Holy Trinity Church -- Chapel Stile -- Lakes -- Cumbria / -- 17.11.2005
photograph

Holy Trinity Church -- Chapel Stile -- Lakes -- Cumbria / -- 17.11.2005

old map:- OS County Series

County Series maps of Great Britain, scales 6 and 25 inches to 1 mile, published by the Ordnance Survey, Southampton, Hampshire, from about 1863 to 1948.
Trinity Church

placename:- Trinity Church
date:- 1890=1899
period:- 19th century, late; 1890s

old map:- Nurse 1918

Map, The Diocese of Carlisle, Cumberland, Westmorland, and Lancashire North of the Sands, now Cumbria, scale about 4 miles to 1 inch, by Rev Euston J Nurse, published by Charles Thurnam and Sons, 11 English Street, Carlisle, Cumberland, 1918 and 2nd edn 1939.
thumbnail NUR1NY30, button to large image
LANGDALE
site name:- Ambleside Rural Deanery
site name:- Archdeaconry of Westmorland
site name:- Diocese of Carlisle
date:- 1939
period:- 1930s

source:- Martineau 1855

Guide book, A Complete Guide to the English Lakes, by Harriet Martineau, published by John Garnett, Windermere, Westmorland, and by Whittaker and Co, London, 1855; published 1855-71.
Page 147:-
... The little chapel is a good specimen of the churches of the vales. A few years since, the rotten old pulpit fell, with the clergyman, Mr. Frazer, in it, just after he had begun his sermon from the text "Behold, I come quickly." The pulpit fell on an elderly dame, who escaped wonderfully. Mr. Frazer, as soon as he found his feet, congratulated her on surviving such an adventure: but she tartly refused his sympathy, saying, "If I'd been kilt, I'd been reet sarrat, (rightly served), for you'd threatened ye'd be comin doon sune." ...
person:- clergyman : Frazer, Mr
date:- 1855
period:- 19th century, late; 1850s

old map:- Garnett 1850s-60s H

Map of the English Lakes, scale about 3.5 miles to 1 inch, published by John Garnett, Windermere, Westmorland, 1850s-60s.
thumbnail GAR2NY30, button to large image
cross, a church
date:- 1850=1869
period:- 19th century, late; 1850s; 1860s

descriptive text:- Ford 1839 (3rd edn 1843)

Description of Scenery in the Lake District, by William Ford, published by Charles Thurnham, London, et al, 1839; published 1839-52.
Page 39:-
... The dependent chapel of Langdale, at the foot of Silver How, is small and neat, adapted to its congregation.
date:- 1839
period:- 19th century, early; 1830s

old map:- Jefferys 1770 (Wmd)

Map, The County of Westmoreland, scale about 1 inch to 1 mile, surveyed by J Ainslie and perhaps T Donald, engraved and published by Thomas Jefferys, London, 1770.
thumbnail J5NY30NW, button to large image
Chapel
church
county:- Westmorland
date:- 1770
period:- 18th century, late; 1770s

database:- Listed Buildings 2010

Listed Buildings 2010

courtesy of English Heritage
CHURCH OF THE HOLY TRINITY / / CHAPEL STILE / LAKES / SOUTH LAKELAND / CUMBRIA / II / 452108 / NY3209305499
courtesy of English Heritage
Parish church of 1857 by J. A. Cory.
MATERIALS: Snecked local slate-stone rubble, light-brown freestone dressings, roughcast west front, graded-slate roof.
PLAN: Nave with long north aisle incorporating a vestry, south tower/porch, and lower chancel.
EXTERIOR: The church is mainly in Decorated style with an asymmetrical accent provided by the stout 3-stage south tower, incorporating the porch in its lower stage. It is unbuttressed and the upper stages are progressively narrower, beneath an embattled crown. The porch has a south doorway with continuous double chamfer, and cusped west window. In the second stage are small narrow windows and the upper stage has 2-light shoulder-headed openings with louvres. The nave west front has two 2- light windows and deep angle buttresses. South windows are square-headed with ogee- headed lights, comprising one 2-light window left of the tower and two 3-light windows to its right. The chancel south wall has a simpler 2-light window with cusped lights and without tracery, and the east window is 3-light Decorated. The north aisle, incorporating the vestry, is shorter than the nave and chancel and faces a steep bank. Its windows are similar to the chancel south window. It has only a 2- light west window, a 1-light vestry window on the north side and, in the east wall, a vestry 3-light window and doorway in a freestone surround.
INTERIOR: Four-bay arcades have octagonal piers and double-chamfered arches. The nave has a 5-bay arched-brace roof on corbels, and the chancel has a similar but keeled 3- bay roof. The chancel arch is double chamfered, of which the inner order is on corbels. Walls are plastered. There are raised floorboards below pews. PRINCIPAL FIXTURES: Furnishings are generally undistinguished, of mid and late C19. The octagonal font is plain, the benches and choir stalls have shaped ends and the pulpit is octagonal with Gothic panelling. The communion rail incorporates a quatrefoil frieze and the reredos has Gothic panelling. There are several late C19 and early C20 windows, of which the Ascension window in the nave is signed by A.L. Moore (1910). There is a Boer War memorial brass plaque.
HISTORY: Parish church of 1857 by John A. Cory (1819-87), architect with offices in Carlisle and Durham, who built several churches in the north of England from the 1840s. He was County Surveyor of Cumberland 1862-68 before entering into partnership with C.J. Ferguson.
SOURCES:
N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England: Cumberland and Westmorland, 1967, p 249.
REASONS FOR DESIGNATION: The church of the Holy Trinity, Chapel Stile, is designated at Grade II for the following principal reasons: [bullet] Holy Trinity is a modest C19 church but an essay in picturesque simplicity with its asymmetrical plan and stout tower. [bullet] The building showcases traditional local materials, complementing other such C19 buildings in the village. [bullet] The church is a landmark building on the hillside above the village and makes an important contribution to its historic character.

placename:- Church of the Holy Trinity
district:- South Lakeland
listed building
coordinates:- NY32090549
date:- 2010
period:- 2010s

incumbents:-
Steele, Richard 1743
Crawford, William 1780
Jackson, Thomas 1781
Jackson, William 1819
Green, Daniel 1828
Lloyd, Owen 1829
Birkett, Stephen 1842
Coward, James 1860
Hulbert, Robert S 1885
Treddenick, John M 1905
Heyes, William 1911

source:- Dove 2009

diocese:- Carlisle Diocese
locality:- Langdale
coordinates:- NY321055

Dove data number of bells: 6
weight of tenor: 8 cwt 3 qtr 6 lb (986lbs)
pitch of tenor: F sharp (755Hz)
scale:-
F sharp, G sharp, A sharp, B, C sharp, D sharp
First 6 notes; intervals TTSTT; F sharp major.
Bells cast by George Mears, 1-5 in 1860, 6 in 1858.
Dove 2009
Data courtesy of the Central Council of Church Bell Ringers

photographs
courtesy of the tower captain
tiny photograph, 
button to large Holy Trinity Church -- Chapel Stile -- Lakes -- Cumbria / -- 18.6.2011
tiny photograph, 
button to large Holy Trinity Church -- Chapel Stile -- Lakes -- Cumbria / -- Ringing chamber -- 18.6.2011

photographs
The bell clappers were tied so that ringing was silent. There had been a service with bells earlier in the day, and another was to follow after this practice.
courtesy of the tower captain
tiny photograph, 
button to large Holy Trinity Church -- Chapel Stile -- Lakes -- Cumbria / -- 18.6.2011 -- Tied clapper.
tiny photograph, 
button to large Holy Trinity Church -- Chapel Stile -- Lakes -- Cumbria / -- 18.6.2011
tiny photograph, 
button to large Holy Trinity Church -- Chapel Stile -- Lakes -- Cumbria / -- 18.6.2011

photographs
The bells were rung down silently, an eerie experience to watch, without sound.
courtesy of the tower captain
tiny photograph, 
button to large Holy Trinity Church -- Chapel Stile -- Lakes -- Cumbria / -- 18.6.2011
tiny photograph, 
button to large Holy Trinity Church -- Chapel Stile -- Lakes -- Cumbria / -- 18.6.2011
tiny photograph, 
button to large Holy Trinity Church -- Chapel Stile -- Lakes -- Cumbria / -- 18.6.2011
tiny photograph, 
button to large Holy Trinity Church -- Chapel Stile -- Lakes -- Cumbria / -- 18.6.2011
tiny photograph, 
button to large Holy Trinity Church -- Chapel Stile -- Lakes -- Cumbria / -- 18.6.2011
tiny photograph, 
button to large Holy Trinity Church -- Chapel Stile -- Lakes -- Cumbria / -- 18.6.2011
tiny photograph, 
button to large Holy Trinity Church -- Chapel Stile -- Lakes -- Cumbria / -- 18.6.2011
tiny photograph, 
button to large Holy Trinity Church -- Chapel Stile -- Lakes -- Cumbria / -- 18.6.2011

photographs
courtesy of the tower captain
tiny photograph, 
button to large Holy Trinity Church -- Chapel Stile -- Lakes -- Cumbria / -- 18.6.2011
tiny photograph, 
button to large Holy Trinity Church -- Chapel Stile -- Lakes -- Cumbria / -- Peal, several methods, 1989. -- 18.6.2011
tiny photograph, 
button to large Holy Trinity Church -- Chapel Stile -- Lakes -- Cumbria / -- Simulator, sounds the bells on loudspeakers in the ringing chamber during silent practices. -- 18.6.2011
tiny photograph, 
button to large Holy Trinity Church -- Chapel Stile -- Lakes -- Cumbria / -- Ring in 2000. -- 18.6.2011
tiny photograph, 
button to large Holy Trinity Church -- Chapel Stile -- Lakes -- Cumbria / -- List of bells -- 18.6.2011

photographs
courtesy of the tower captain
tiny photograph, 
button to large Holy Trinity Church -- Chapel Stile -- Lakes -- Cumbria / -- Chiming frame. -- 18.6.2011
tiny photograph, 
button to large Holy Trinity Church -- Chapel Stile -- Lakes -- Cumbria / -- Ropes from the chiming frame. -- 18.6.2011

photographs
tiny photograph, 
button to large Holy Trinity Church -- Chapel Stile -- Lakes -- Cumbria / -- The way in from the porch. -- 18.6.2011
tiny photograph, 
button to large Holy Trinity Church -- Chapel Stile -- Lakes -- Cumbria / -- Go up, and knock on the trapdoor. -- 18.6.2011

references Handley, Diana: 1983: Notes on Furness Branch Bells::: inscriptions and history

photographs
tiny photograph, 
button to large Holy Trinity Church -- Chapel Stile -- Lakes -- Cumbria / -- Organ by W Rushworth and Sons, Liverpool, 1891. -- 17.11.2005
tiny photograph, 
button to large Holy Trinity Church -- Chapel Stile -- Lakes -- Cumbria / -- 18.6.2011

photographs
tiny photograph, 
button to large Holy Trinity Church -- Chapel Stile -- Lakes -- Cumbria / -- Clock, James Harrison, 1858-63. -- 18.6.2011
tiny photograph, 
button to large Holy Trinity Church -- Chapel Stile -- Lakes -- Cumbria / -- Pinwheel escapement -- 18.6.2011
tiny photograph, 
button to large Holy Trinity Church -- Chapel Stile -- Lakes -- Cumbria / -- Clock detail. -- 18.6.2011

photographs
tiny photograph, 
button to large Holy Trinity Church -- Chapel Stile -- Lakes -- Cumbria / -- Engraved bottom, left, centre, right, and lower centre:- -- 'The Revd. Jos. Wilkinson delt. / Langdale Chapel, Vale of Langdale / W. F. Wells sculpt. / Published May 7, 1810 by R. Ackerman, 101, Strand, London.' -- 17.11.2005

hearsay Rebuilt 1857-58, became a parish church in 1863. Design by John Cory, of Cory Fergusson, architects, Carlisle, Cumberland.

notes The turret clock in the church tower was made by John Harrison, great grandson of a brother of a more famous John, who had a business in Hull. the movement is a flat bed design. It is identical to the clock at Meanwood, designed by Lord Grimethorpe, who later designed the clock in the Houses of Parliament built by Edward John Dent.
The clock was built 1858 but possibly not installed until it was well tested, perhaps five years later. It was restored by Ian Haigh, Ambleside, 1982. In 1985 electric winding was added by the Cumbria Clock Company.
Sykes, Geoff: 2004: Big Ben's Country Cousin; the Story of Langdale Church Clock::: (available at the church)

button   bell house, Kendal
button   ring of bells, Brathay
button   ring of bells, Casterton
button   ring of bells, Kendal
button   ring of bells, Langdale
button   sundial, Colton
button   sundial, Kendal
button   sundial, Seathwaite
button   sundial, Winster
button   war memorial, Grange
button   war memorial, Howgill

Old Cumbria Gazetteer - JandMN: 2013

button to lakes menu  Lakes Guides menu.

©  Martin and Jean Norgate: 2014
mailto button  email:- JandMN@norgate.freeserve.co.uk
button, online connection  Other projects

button, online connection  Geography Department, Portsmouth University