button to main menu   Old Cumbria Gazetteer
www.dove.cccbr.org.uk
placename:- St Mary and Holy Trinity Church
other name:- Holy Trinity Church
other name:- Ulverston Church
locality:- Ulverston
parish Ulverston parish, once in Lancashire
county:- Cumbria
church
coordinates:- SD28897868
10Km square:- SD27
References : 2005: Diocese of Carlisle, Directory 2004/5

1Km square SD2878

photograph

St Mary and Holy Trinity Church -- Ulverston -- Ulverston -- Cumbria / -- 31.7.2009
photograph

St Mary and Holy Trinity Church -- Ulverston -- Ulverston -- Cumbria / -- 31.7.2009

old map:- Nurse 1918

Map, The Diocese of Carlisle, Cumberland, Westmorland, and Lancashire North of the Sands, now Cumbria, scale about 4 miles to 1 inch, by Rev Euston J Nurse, published by Charles Thurnam and Sons, 11 English Street, Carlisle, Cumberland, 1918 and 2nd edn 1939.
thumbnail NUR1SD27, button to large image
ULVERSTON
site name:- Ulverston Rural Deanery
site name:- Archdeaconry of Furness
site name:- Diocese of Carlisle
date:- 1939
period:- 1930s

old map:- Garnett 1850s-60s H

Map of the English Lakes, scale about 3.5 miles to 1 inch, published by John Garnett, Windermere, Westmorland, 1850s-60s.
thumbnail GAR2SD27, button to large image
cross, a church
date:- 1850=1869
period:- 19th century, late; 1850s; 1860s

descriptive text:- Ford 1839 (3rd edn 1843)

Description of Scenery in the Lake District, by William Ford, published by Charles Thurnham, London, et al, 1839; published 1839-52.
Page 4:-
...
[Ulverston] ... The church, dedicated to St. Mary, stands at a little distance from the town, under a hill; it was enlarged and nearly rebuilt in 1804, and consists of a nave , chancel, and aisles, adorned with several monuments of the Dodding and Braddyll families. The east window represents, in painted glass, the four Evangelists, and Christ risen from the sepulchre, after-
Page 5:-
Rubens; the altar-piece is the 'Taking down from the Cross' after Sir Joshua Reynolds: the lay rector, T. R. G. Braddyll, Esq. of Conishead Priory, generously defrayed the expense of both these pictorial embellishments. ...
Page 156:-
...
[Ulverston] ... The old church, dedicated to St. Mary, was enlarged in 1804, and is now one of the handsomest churches in Lancashire. ...
person:- : Dodding Family
person:- : Braddyll, T R G
person:- : Braddyll Family
date:- 1839
period:- 19th century, early; 1830s

old text:- Camden 1789 (Gough Additions)

Britannia, or A Chorographical Description of the Flourishing Kingdoms of England, Scotland, and Ireland, by William Camden, 1586, translated from the 1607 Latin edition by Richard Gough, published London, 1789.
Page 142:-
...
Ulverston, ... The steeple was built by a private person from the ground to the height of the church roof, and was finished by the inhabitants.
date:- 1789
period:- 18th century, late; 1780s

old print:- Jopling 1843

Book, Sketch of Furness and Cartmel, by Charles M Jopling, published by Whittaker and Co, Ave Maria Lane, London and by Stephen Soulby, Ulverston, Cumberland, 1843.
thumbnail JP1E09, button to large image
Print, Ulverston Church, St Mary's Church, Ulverston, Lancashire, by Mr Tuer, published by Whittaker and Co, Ave Maria Lane, London and by Stephen Soulby, Ulverston, Cumberland, 1843.
Tipped in opposite p.41 of a Sketch of Furness and Cartmel, by Charles M Jopling.

placename:- Ulverston Church
date:- 1843
period:- 19th century, early

database:- Listed Buildings 2010

Listed Buildings 2010

courtesy of English Heritage
CHURCH OF ST MARY / / CHURCH WALK / ULVERSTON / SOUTH LAKELAND / CUMBRIA / II[star] / 459895 / SD2889978685
courtesy of English Heritage
Parish church. C16 with re-used C12 south doorway. Restored and enlarged 1804. Extensively restored and partly rebuilt 1864-6 by Paley. Chancel extended 1903-4 by Austin and Paley, who also re-furnished the east end of the south aisle in 1923 as the War Memorial Chapel. Sandstone and limestone rubble with red sandstone dressings and slate roofs.
PLAN: comprises a west tower, nave with clerestorey, south aisle and south porch, a north aisle under a pitched roof, and a chancel.
EXTERIOR: the tower is of 3 stages and has angle buttresses and an embattled parapet. The west window is pointed, of 3 lights with Perpendicular tracery. Below there is a doorway which is hollow-chamfered with a segmental arch. The bell openings are each of 3 lights with flat heads, mullions, slate louvres, and hoodmoulds. On the south side of the wall of the middle stage is an inscribed tablet with hoodmould. The north aisle is of 7 bays separated by buttresses and has pointed windows with Perpendicular tracery. All are of 2 lights except for the western one in the north wall which is of 3 lights, as is the east window. The west window is of 5 lights. On the south side the clerestorey windows are mullioned, of 3 lights with flat heads and hoodmoulds. The south aisle windows are pointed and of 2 lights: to the left of the priest's door there are 4 windows and to the right there are 2. The porch, towards the west end, is gabled with a cross finial and with a moulded 4-centred outer doorway which has a hoodmould and angel stops. The inner doorway appears to be re-set and has a round arch of 3 orders (including chevron and cable ornament) with chamfered imposts. The east chancel window is of 5 lights, and a south buttress is inscribed 'MDCCCCIII'.
INTERIOR: the pointed tower arch is chamfered in 2 orders which die into the responds. The 7-bay arcades date from 1804 and are plastered, with pointed chamfered arches springing from octagonal columns with moulded caps. The open timber roof has braced collar trusses alternating with king-post trusses which have queen struts and corbelled wall posts. The chancel extension is of sandstone ashlar and has double sedilia and a piscina, and a boarded barrel roof. 2 bays of the main arcades are within the chancel, which is raised above the level of the nave and divided from it by a low sandstone wall pierced by quatrefoils.
FITTINGS: the choir stalls are of carved oak, and oak screens with carved tracery (probably by Austin and Paley) divide the chancel from the south chapel and from the north vestry and organ chamber. A similar screen divides the organ chamber from the north aisle. The organ was re-built in the later C20, but the organ case (which faces towards the north vestry) has 6 timber Corinthian columns supporting an entablature.
MEMORIALS: the numerous memorials include a tomb chest in the north aisle (formerly in the south chapel) with the carved effigy of William Sandys of Conishead Priory (d.1559). At the west end of the south aisle there is a canopied mural monument to Miles Dodding (d.1629) with a small recumbent figure and a Latin inscription. At the east end of the south aisle there are memorial brasses to an earlier Miles Dodding (d.1606) and his wife set in a tablet of polished limestone in an Elizabethan style which appears to be early C19.

placename:- Church of St Mary
district:- South Lakeland
listed building
coordinates:- SD28897868
date:- 2010
period:- 2010s

photographs
The background, dexter black, is a for a married man, Sir John Barrow, died 1848, husband of Anna Maria Truetter. The coat of arms is Barrow:-
impaling Truetter:-
Motto:-
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Mary and Holy Trinity Church -- Ulverston -- Ulverston -- Cumbria / -- 31.7.2009 -- Hatchment.

source:- Dove 2009

diocese:- Carlisle Diocese
locality:- Ulverston
coordinates:- SD289787

Dove data number of bells: 6
weight of tenor: 13 cwt 0 qtr 0 lb (about 1460lbs)
pitch of tenor: F sharp
scale:-
F sharp, G sharp, A sharp, B, C sharp, D sharp
First 6 notes; intervals TTSTT; F sharp major.
Bells cast by Thomas Mears, 1836.
Dove 2009
Data courtesy of the Central Council of Church Bell Ringers

references Handley, Diana: 1983: Notes on Furness Branch Bells::: inscriptions and history

notes Described in:-
Butler, Lawrence (ed): 2011: Church Notes of Sir Stephen Glynne for Cumbria, 1833-1872: CWAAS:: ISBN 978 1 873124 52 9
Extracted from the original notes made by Sir Stephen, now in Deiniol's Library, Hawarden, Flintshire, contact through Flintshire Record Office

photographs
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Mary and Holy Trinity Church -- Ulverston -- Ulverston -- Cumbria / -- Monument to William Sandys of Conishead Priory, died 1588. -- 31.7.2009
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Mary and Holy Trinity Church -- Ulverston -- Ulverston -- Cumbria / -- Coat of arms of William Sandys, on his moument. -- 31.7.2009

button   ring of bells, Ulverston

Old Cumbria Gazetteer - JandMN: 2013

button to lakes menu  Lakes Guides menu.

©  Martin and Jean Norgate: 2014
mailto button  email:- JandMN@norgate.freeserve.co.uk
button, online connection  Other projects

button, online connection  Geography Department, Portsmouth University