button to main menu   Old Cumbria Gazetteer
placename:- Hucks Bridge
other name:- Huck's Bridge
site name:- Borrow Beck
site name:- road, Kendal to Shap
locality:- Borrowdale
parish Fawcett Forest parish, once in Westmorland
parish Whinfell parish, once in Westmorland
county:- Cumbria
bridge
coordinates:- NY55260396
10Km square:- NY50

1Km square NY5503

photograph

Hucks Bridge -- Borrow Beck -- road, Kendal to Shap -- Borrowdale -- Fawcett Forest and Whinfell -- Cumbria / -- 22.7.2005

old map:- OS County Series (Wmd 28 9)

County Series maps of Great Britain, scales 6 and 25 inches to 1 mile, published by the Ordnance Survey, Southampton, Hampshire, from about 1863 to 1948.

placename:- High Borrow Bridge
other name:- Borrow Bridge, High
bridge
date:- 1890=1899
period:- 19th century, late; 1890s

source:- Otley 1818

New Map of the District of the Lakes, in Westmorland, Cumberland, and Lancashire, scale about 4 miles to 1 inch, by Jonathan Otley, engraved by J and G Menzies, Edinburgh, Lothian, Scotland, published by J Otley, Keswick, Cumberland now Cumbria, 1818; pblished 1818 to 1850s.
image OT02NY50, button   goto source.
thumbnail OT02NY50, button to large image
Implied by a road across the stream.
bridge

database:- Listed Buildings 2010

Listed Buildings 2010

courtesy of English Heritage
HUCKS BRIDGE / / A6 / FAWCETT FOREST / SOUTH LAKELAND / CUMBRIA / II / 75625 / NY5526203958
courtesy of English Heritage
Bridge over Borrow Beck. 1826 with C20 parapets and widening to east. By Francis Webster and J.L. McAdam. Stone rubble. 2 round arches with triangular cutwaters to piers. Raking abutments. Plain parapet, over band to east. Roadway approx. 15.5m wide, of which approx. 9m is width of original bridge (cf Bannisdale Low Bridge). On route of Heron Syke to Eamont Bridge turnpike road established in 1820s, replacing old route over High Borrow Bridge.

placename:- Hucks Bridge
district:- South Lakeland
listed building
coordinates:- NY55260395
date:- 2010
period:- 2010s

observation The maiden surname of the mother of the sheep farmer, Brian Knowles, living just by the bridge is Hucks.

hearsay Built 1826, by Francis Webster and J L McAdam; widened, and new parapets 20th century.

Old Cumbria Gazetteer - JandMN: 2013

button to lakes menu  Lakes Guides menu.

©  Martin and Jean Norgate: 2014
mailto button  email:- JandMN@norgate.freeserve.co.uk
button, online connection  Other projects

button, online connection  Geography Department, Portsmouth University