button to main menu   Old Cumbria Gazetteer
placename:- Longsleddale
parish Longsleddale parish, once in Westmorland
county:- Cumbria
valley; selected place
coordinates:- NY50080289
10Km square:- NY40, NY50, SD59
There is no nucleated settlement in the parish; the plot point is at the church.
place code:- Lsl

1Km square NY5002

photograph

Longsleddale -- Longsleddale -- Cumbria / -- SD517994 () -- 1.10.2005
photograph

Longsleddale -- Longsleddale -- Cumbria / -- NY47680884 (S) -- 20.8.2005

old map (vignette):- Burrow 1920s

Road strip maps with parts in Westmorland, Cumberland etc, now Cumbria, irregular scale about 1.5 miles to 1 inch, by E J Burrow and Co, Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, 1920s.
thumbnail EJB3Vg11, button to large image
date:- 1920=1929
period:- 1920s

descriptive text:- Wilson 1912

Book, Longsleddale, by F M Wilson, published by T Wilson, Kendal, Westmorland, 1912.
site name:- Sprint, River
person:- : Ellesmere, Robert
person:- author : Ward, Humphrey, Mrs
person:- : Sleddall Family
person:- : Sledda, King
date:- 1912
period:- 1910s

book:- Watson 1894

Country Parson, A & Watson, John (ed)
thumbnail WT1E01, button to large image
date:- 1894
period:- 19th century, late; 1890s

descriptive text:- Whellan 1860

History and Topography of the Counties of Cumberland and Westmoreland, by William Whellan, published by W Whellan and Co, Pontefract, Yorkshire, by Whittaker and Co, London, and by Galt and Co, Manchester, Greater Manchester, 1860.
LONG SLEDDALE CHAPELRY
THIS chapelry embraces a wild and picturesque district, about three miles in breadth, and extending from five to eleven miles north of Kendal. It is intersected by the Sprint rivulet, which runs through a deep vale parallel with the road, till it unites with the Kent about half a mile below Burneside Hall.
The rateable value of this township is L1,150. The population in 1801 was 187; in 1811, 172; in 1821, 185; in 1831, 199; in 1841, 173; and in 1851, 170. Agriculture is the only employment.
Long Sleddale belonged to the ancient barons of Kendal, who granted 'in fee divers tenements there to several person,' and finally granted the manor to the Thornburghs of Hamsfel and Selside, who sold it to the Bellinghams, from whom it was purchased by Colonel James Grahame, and is now held by the Hon. Mrs. Howard. The tenements have been from time to time, all or most of them, enfranchised. There does not appear to have been a manor-house here, the lords never being resident. When the Thornburghs held the manor, the tenants attended the court at Selside Hall. Ubery, or Yewbarrow Hall, was the most considerable house in the vale, and seems to have been the residence of a family bearing the name of Layburne; it is now a farm-house. The landowners are the Hon. Mrs. Howard, Richard Wilkinson, Esq.; Messrs. Henry and George Fothergill, Alexander W. Lodge, Rev. Robert Walker, Thomas Walker, Michael and John Mattinson, Robert Mattinson, and others.
...
Long Sleddale chapel stands near the centre of the vale. ...
There is no parsonage.
In 1853 the Rev. Miles Walker, brother of the present incumbent, gave L300, on condition that the inhabitants of the township would raise a similar sum, and devote it to the education of the poor of the chapelry. The inhabitants subscribed L250, to which the master and fellows of Trinity College, Cambridge, added L50, thus making up the amount required, which was invested in the Three-per-cent Consols, and now produces about L21 per annum. The Hon. Mrs. Howard also subscribes L10 a year for the education of poor children. A new schoolhouse is much needed.

placename:- Long Sleddale
person:- : Thornburgh Family
person:- : Bellingham Family
person:- : Grahame, James, Colonel
person:- : Howard, Mrs
person:- : Wilkinson, Richard
person:- : Fothergill, Henry and George
person:- : Lodge, Alexander W
person:- : Walker, Robert
person:- : Walker, Thomas
person:- : Mattinson, Michael and John
person:- : Mattinson, Robert
date:- 1860
period:- 19th century, late; 1860s

source:- Martineau 1855

Guide book, A Complete Guide to the English Lakes, by Harriet Martineau, published by John Garnett, Windermere, Westmorland, and by Whittaker and Co, London, 1855; published 1855-71.
Page 174:-
[from Mardale] The traveller must either go back the way he came, or climb out of the dale at the head, whence three tracks branch off from the top of the pass of Nanbield. One of these tracks turns to the left before reaching Small Water, and goes down into Long Sleddale,- to follow which we know of no sufficient inducement, unless it be that the way is practicable for a horse,- which the others are not. ...
date:- 1855
period:- 19th century, late; 1850s

old map:- Garnett 1850s-60s H

Map of the English Lakes, scale about 3.5 miles to 1 inch, published by John Garnett, Windermere, Westmorland, 1850s-60s.
thumbnail GAR2NY40, button to large image
Long Sleddale
river valley

placename:- Long Sleddale
date:- 1850=1869
period:- 19th century, late; 1850s; 1860s

old map:- Ford 1839 map

Map of the Lake District, published in A Description of Scenery in the Lake District, by William Ford, published by Charles Thurnham, London, 1839.
thumbnail FD02NY40, button to large image
Long Sleddale

placename:- Long Sleddale
county:- Westmoreland
date:- 1839
period:- 19th century, early; 1830s

descriptive text:- Ford 1839 (3rd edn 1843)

Description of Scenery in the Lake District, by William Ford, published by Charles Thurnham, London, et al, 1839; published 1839-52.
Page 140:-
...
LONG SLEDDALE.
Another path leads upwards by a mountain stream from Chapel Hill, between Harter Fell and Shap Fells, then down by Sadgill into Long Sleddale, and thence to Kendal, from which place Hawes Water is frequently visited by this route. The valley is, on the average, half-a-mile in width, and is intersected by the Sprint rivulet, which runs parallel to the road. From the bottom, which is covered with a mixture of arable and meadow ground, hanging woods and rising pastures ascend the sloping sides, terminating in sheep walks on the mountains. It is divided into small estates, having the farm-steads at the foot of rising grounds almost every quarter of a mile. On an eminence, midway, stands the chapel, and near it the school. The most interesting mansion in the dale is Yewbarrow Hall, having an ancient tower, whose walls are several feet thick.
Page 160:-
... The return from Chapelhill [Mardale] must be up the hill, having the stream from Small Water on the right, till a small stream is seen flowing down into Long Sleddale, which extends hence about six miles. The chapel stands near the centre of the dale, which is watered by the Sprint.

placename:- Long Sleddale
date:- 1839
period:- 19th century, early; 1830s

descriptive text:- Rose 1832-35

Engravings - Westmorland, Cumberland, Durham and Northumberland Illustrated; from drawings by Thomas Allom, George Pickering, and H Gastineau, described by Thomas Rose, published by H Fisher, R Fisher, and P Jackson, Newgate Street, London, 1832-35.
Descriptive text with the plate of Long Sleddale Slate Quarry, includes:-
Long Sleddale township and chapelry extends over a mountainous and picturesque district, six miles in length by three miles in breadth, and reaches southward from the lofty Harter Fell to Potter Fell, within a few miles north of Kendal. This vale is intersected by the Sprint rivulet, which runs parallel with the road by which tourists from Kendal approach the sublime mountain scenery around Hawes Water. On each side of the rivulet verdant fields rise in irregular swells, till the rocky decivities of the mountains preclude all cultivation except brushwood and coppices, which climb the steep banks, and in some places find support even in the craggy precipices, which here present their lofty and rugged fronts with much grandeur, having, in many places, beautiful cascades spouting and tumbling from their summits, and sometimes broken by gusts of wind into clouds of spray.

placename:- Long Sleddale
date:- 1832
period:- 19th century, early; 1830s

descriptive text:- Otley 1823 (5th edn 1834)

Guidebook, Concise Description of the English Lakes, later A Description of the English Lakes, by Jonathan Otley, published by the author, Keswick, Cumberland, by J Richardson, London, and by Arthur Foster, Kirky Lonsdale, Cumbria, 1823 onwards.
image OT01P114, button   goto source.
Page 114:-
There are various mountain passes by which Hawes Water may be approached by pedestrians; and a way on horseback through Long Sleddale, has been described with a high degree of colouring in some former publications. In planning an excursion, several things are to be taken into consideration; as, what kind of conveyance the roads will admit of, how that conveyance is to be supplied, and at what places refreshment may be obtained. Long Sleddale is a valley possessing all the requisites of meadows, woods, mountains, rocks, and waterfalls; but they are deficient in that harmony of composition which renders some of the more northern vallies so attractive to the tourist.
...
image OT01P116, button   goto source.
Page 116:-
Those who wish to penetrate the hidden recesses of the mountains may go the whole length of the lake, ... Mardale Green; from whence they may either return the same way, or pass over the mountains to Long Sleddale or to Kentmere.
image OT01P158, button   goto source.
Page 158:-
The THIRD division - forming only inferior elevations - commences with a bed of dark-blue or blackish transition limestone, containing here and there a few shells and madrepores, and alternating with a slaty rock of the same colour; the different layers of each being in some places several feet, in others only a few inches in thickness. This limestone crosses the river Duddon near Broughton; passing Broughton Mills it runs in a north-east direction through Torver, by the foot of the Old Man mountain, and appears near Low Yewdale and Yew Tree. Here it makes a considerable slip to the eastward, after which it ranges past the Tarns upon the hills above Borwick Ground; and stretching through Skelwith, it crosses the head of Windermere near Low Wood Inn. Then passing above Dovenest and Skelgill, it traverses the vales of Troutbeck, Kentmere, and Long Sleddale;

placename:- Long Sleddale
date:- 1823
period:- 19th century, early; 1820s

source:- Otley 1818

New Map of the District of the Lakes, in Westmorland, Cumberland, and Lancashire, scale about 4 miles to 1 inch, by Jonathan Otley, engraved by J and G Menzies, Edinburgh, Lothian, Scotland, published by J Otley, Keswick, Cumberland now Cumbria, 1818; pblished 1818 to 1850s.
image OT02NY50, button   goto source.
thumbnail OT02NY50, button to large image
image OT02NY40, button   goto source.
thumbnail OT02NY40, button to large image
LONGSLEDDALE

placename:- Longsleddale
valley

old map:- Cooke 1802

Maps, Westmoreland, Cumberland, etc, now Cumbria, by George Alexander Cooke, London, 1802-10; published 1802-24.
thumbnail GRA1Lk, button to large image
Long Sleddale
locality

placename:- Long Sleddale
county:- Westmorland
date:- 1802
period:- 19th century, early; 1800s

source:- Housman 1800

Guide book, Descriptive Tour, and Guide to the Lakes, Caves, Mountains ..., by John Housman, published by F Jollie, Carlisle, Cumberland and C Law, Ave Maria Lane, London, 1800; published 1800-21.
page 69:-
...
We now leave Kendal, and proceed towards the lake Haws-water, either by way of Shap, or Long-Sleddale. ... The latter is a more direct road, of about 16 miles:
Page 70:-
... but the passage is very difficult, as it is necessary to pursue a dim serpentine path over a high mountain, impassable in any sort of carriage, and not easily traversed on horseback. This road, however, was represented to us as so romantically curious that we were induced to direct our course by that route.
...
CONTINUING the Shap and Penrith road for about four miles and a half, we turn off to the left, and pursue a bye-road to Long-Sleddale, which is a long, narrow, and deep vale, inclosed with high ridges of rocky mountains. ... A large brook intersects a strip of meadow ground which
Page 71:-
runs along the bottom of this vale. The fields on each side rise in irregular swells, till the rocky declivity of the mountains precludes all cultivation; where brushwood and coppice commence, and often climb almost to the top, sometimes finding support even on the craggy precipices. The surrounding mountains continue to ascend with increasing grandeur. The dale then contracts a little, and towards its head the rocks become eminently conspicuous; ...
Page 72:-
...
The mountains now begin to unite their bases, and the road gradually ascends; ...
The road now contracts into a rugged path, and winds curiously half way up the side of a steep mountain, whence a more easy ascent is had to its summit. It then descends, in a like serpentine manner, down to the vale of Mardale. Notwithstanding the difficulty of this road, the stranger enjoys the satisfaction of being assured that he cannot possibly deviate from the right path. - When we traversed this Alpine pass, the broken scattered clouds were hurried along before a brisk wind, just touching the tops of the mountains, while the sun shone bright through among them. The dark coloured and well defined shadows of these dense vapours, sweeping rapidly over the heathy surface in a variety of figures, like immense carpets, occasioned a very singular appearance in this elevated region.

placename:- Long Sleddale
date:- 1800; 1812
period:- 19th century, early; 1800s

old map:- West 1784 map

A Map of the Lakes in Cumberland, Westmorland and Lancashire, now Cumbria, scale about 3.5 miles to 1 inch, engraved by Paas, 53 Holborn, London, included in the Guide to the Lakes by Thomas West, published by William Pennington, Kendal, Westmorland, and in London, from the 3rd edition 1784, to 1821.
Marked by a block for a village or hamlet.
image Ws02NY50, button   goto source.
thumbnail Ws02NY50, button to large image

placename:- Long Sleddale
building/s
county:- Westmorland

descriptive text:- West 1778 (11th edn 1821)

Guide book, A Guide to the Lakes, by Thomas West, published by William Pennington, Kendal, Cumbria once Westmorland, and in London, 1778 to 1821.
image WS21P166, button   goto source.
Page 166:-
... in the course of your descent [from Gatescarth], you will presently be accompanied by a cataract on the right. The road traverses the mountain as on the other side, but is much better made, and wider, on account of the slate taken from the sides of these mountains and carried to Kendal, &c. The water-falls on the right are extremely curious. You enter Long-Sleddale between two shattered rocky mountains. That on the left, Crowbarrow, is not less terrible to look up at, when under it, than any rock in Barrowside or Borrowdale, and it has covered a much larger space with ruins. Here is every possible variety of water falls and cataracts; the most remarkable of which is on the left. Over a most tremendous wall of rock, a mountain torrent, in one broken sheet, leaps headlong one hundred yards and more. The whole vale is narrow; the hills rise swift on each hand; their brows are wooded; their feet covered with grass, or cultivated, and their summits broken. The road along the vale is tolerable, and joins the great road at Watch-gate, about four miles from Kendal.

placename:- Long Sleddale
date:- 1778
period:- 18th century, late; 1770s

descriptive text:- Nicolson and Burn 1777

Book, History and Antiquities of the Counties of Westmorland and Cumberland, 2 volumes, by Joseph Nicolson and Richard Burn, published by W Strahan and T Cadell, Strand, London, 1777. (Or reprint 1976)
pp.133-134
LONG SLEDDALE, like the rest, belonged to the ancient barons of Kendale. They granted in fee divers tenements there to several persons, and finally granted the manor to the Thornburghs of Hamsfel and Selside, who sold the same to Bellingham, who sold to Colonel James Grahame, from whom the same hath descended to the present earl of Suffolk and Berkshire.
In the reign of king Henry the third, William de Lancastre, baron of Kendal, enfeoffed Rowland de Renegill of 29 acres of arable land in Sleddale, and pasture there to the value of 100s. He also enfeoffed Robert de Leyburne (to whom also he gave Skelsmergh) of three acres and a half in Sleddale for meadow ground, and pasture there also.
Among the Escheats in the 3 Cha. 1. it is found, that William de Thornbeburghe esquire held 20 messuages or tenements with two fulling mills in Sleddale of the late marquis of Northamtpon, and then of then king; as of his castle of Kendal, in socage, by fealty and the rent of 6d a year for all services; and that the same were of the clear yearly value of 12l 4s 4d.
The tenements have been from time to time all or most of them enfranchised.
Here is no manor house, for the lords of the manor, so far as we have found, never resided at this place. When the Thornburghs had the manor, the tenants attended the court at Selside Hall.
The most considerable house in the dale was Ubery-hall, ...
The chapel stands about the middle of the dale, ...

placename:- Long Sleddale
person:- : Kendal, Baron of
person:- : Thornburgh Family
person:- : Bellingham Family
person:- : Grahame, James, Colonel
person:- : Suffolk and Berkshire, Earl of
person:- : Renegill, Rowland de
person:- : Bereburn, Gilbert de
person:- : Leyburne, Robert de
person:- : Thorneburghe, William de
date:- 1777
period:- 18th century, late; 1770s

old map:- Jefferys 1770 (Wmd)

Map, The County of Westmoreland, scale about 1 inch to 1 mile, surveyed by J Ainslie and perhaps T Donald, engraved and published by Thomas Jefferys, London, 1770.
thumbnail J5NY40NE, button to large image
thumbnail J5NY40SE, button to large image
thumbnail J5NY50SW, button to large image
Long Sleddale
hill hachuring; valley, locality

placename:- Long Sleddale
county:- Westmorland
date:- 1770
period:- 18th century, late; 1770s

old map:- Bowen and Kitchin 1760

New Map of the Counties of Cumberland and Westmoreland, scale about 4 miles to 1 inch, Emanuel Bowen and Thomas Kitchin, published by T Bowles, John Bowles and Son, Robert Sayer, and John Tinney, 1760; published 1760-87.
thumbnail BO18NY30, button to large image
Sleddale
circle, tower

placename:- Sleddale
date:- 1760
period:- 18th century, late; 1760s

old map:- Morden 1695 (Wmd)

Maps, Westmorland, scale about 2.5 miles to 1 inch, and Cumberland, scale about 3 miles to 1 inch, by Robert Morden, 1695.
image MD10NY40, button   goto source.
thumbnail MD10NY40, button to large image
Lang Sledale
Circle, marked high up the valley.

placename:- Lang Sledale
county:- Westmorland
date:- 1695
period:- 17th century, late; 1690s

old map:- Seller 1694 (Wmd)

Map, Westmorland, now Cumbria, scale about 8 miles to 1 inch, by John Seller, 1694; editions to 1787.
thumbnail SEL7, button to large image
Sleddale
circle, italic lowercase text; settlement or house

placename:- Sleddale
county:- Westmorland
date:- 1694
period:- 17th century, late; 1690s

old map:- Speed 1611 (Wmd)

Maps, The Countie Westmorland and Kendale the Cheif Towne, scale about 3.5 miles to 1 inch, and Cumberland and the Ancient Citie Carlile, scale about 4 miles to 1 inch, by John Speed, London, 1611; published 1611-1770.
thumbnail SP14NY40, button to large image
Sleddale
circle, tower

placename:- Sleddale
date:- 1611
period:- 17th century, early; 1610s

source:- EPNS Westmorland 1967


placename:- Sleddal -- 1229
placename:- Sledale -- 1229
placename:- Sleddall -- 1229
placename:- Sleddisdale -- 1282
placename:- Langsleidall -- 1466
placename:- Longsleddell -- 1492
placename:- Langsleydale -- 1532
placename:- Long Sleddle -- 1738

old map:- Saxton 1579

image Sax9NY40, button   goto source.
thumbnail Sax9NY40, button to large image
Building, symbol for a hamlet, which may or may not have a nucleus.
Sleddale

placename:- Sleddale
county:- Westmorelandia
hamlet
date:- 1576
period:- 16th century, late; 1570s

old map:- Cooper 1808

Map, Westmoreland ie Westmorland, scale about 9 miles to 1 inch, by H Cooper, 1808, published by G and W B Whittaker, 13 Ave Maria Lane, London, 1824.
thumbnail COP4, button to large image
Longsleddale
circle; village or hamlet; and hill hachuring; valley

placename:- Longsleddale
locality:- Kendal Ward
county:- Westmorland
date:- 1808
period:- 19th century, early; 1800s

source:- Prior 1865

Guide book, Ascents and Passes in the Lake District of England, by Herman Prior, published by John Garnett, Windermere, Westmorland, and by Simpkin, Marshall and Co, London, 1865.
Page 7:-
... Long Sleddale ... although smaller than Kentmere, has a strikingly picturesque and secluded character. ...

placename:- Long Sleddale
date:- 1865
period:- 19th century, late; 1860s

records:- Curwen 1926

Curwen, John F
1751 July 15 : Died in his 55th year John Wilson, author of The Synopsis of British Plants, and the first writer that attempted a systematic arrangement of our indigenous plants in the English Language. He was born in Longsleddale and became a shoemaker, but a severe asthma prevented him from following this trade and assisted him to cultivate his favourite science. His first volume was published in 1744, but he did not live long enough to finish the second volume. K. Notes and Queries, n. 581.
person:- author; botanist : Wilson, John
date:- 1751
period:- 18th century, late; 1750s

source:- Ffinch 1983

Book, Kendal and the Kent Valley, by Michael Ffinch, published by Robert Hale, London, 1983.

placename:- Long Whindale
other name:- Long Sleddale

photographs
courtesy of John Bennet
tiny photograph, 
button to large Longsleddale -- Longsleddale -- Cumbria / -- Play or pageant in the valley.

Transcription for Longsleddale from Parson and White's directory, Westmorland, 1829.
Parson and White 1829

page 652:-
LONG-SLEDDALE township and chapelry, is a mountainous and picturesque district, 6 miles in length and 3 miles in breadth, extending southward from the lofty Harter Fell to Potter Fell, within 5 miles N. of Kendal, and intersected by the Sprint rivulet, which runs through the deep vale, parallel with the road by which tourists from Kendal approach the sublime mountain scenery round Hawes-water. Verdant fields rise from each side of the rivulet in irregular swells, till the rocky declivities of the mountains preclude all cultivation, except brush-wood and coppices, which climb up the steep banks, and in some places find support even in the craggy precipices, which here present their lofty and rugged fronts with much grandeur, having, in may places, beautiful cascades spouting and tumbling from their summits, and sometimes broken by gusts of wind into clouds of spangled moisture. At Rangle-Gill, near the head of the dale, are extensive quarries of the finest blue slate. The Chapel stands near the centre of the dale, in which the houses are all scattered, except at the north end where there is a hamlet, called Little London. It was re-built and had a burial-ground consecrated in 1712. It has been several time augmented, viz. in 1713 with £80, given by the heir and four daughters of Henry Holme, and in 1746, 1773, and 1775, with three lots of £200 each, from Queen Anne's bounty, and a subscription of £200, making altogether £880, laid out in the purchase of land in Long-Sleddale, Selside, and Lambrigg, now let for about £50 a year. The Hon. F. G. Howard, of Levens Hall, is lord of the manor, and allows the master of the Chapel School £15 per annum for teaching poor children. Most of the estates are enfranchised. The principal mansion in the dale was Ubery, or Ubarrow-Hall, now occupied by a farmer, and having an acient tower, with walls two yards thick. The Rev. Henry Greenwood is the incumbent, and the land-owners are the patrons of the curacy.

page 672, transcribed:-
LONG SLEDDALE.
Marked 1, reside at Little London; 2, on the East side; and 3, on the West side the Sprint Beck.
2 Greenwood, Rev. Edward, Incumbent, Woodhouse
1 Holden, Joseph, tailor
Sinkinson, Wilson & Walker, slate quarry proprietors, Rangle gill
Wilkinson Lancelot, school master, Swinklehill
FARMERS.
Thus * are Yeomen.
1 Adamson Thomas, Low house
3 Dixon John, Hollin root
3 Douthwaite Wm. Dale end
3 Elleray Christopher, Docker nook
1* Hanson James
1* Hanson John
1 Hoggarth George
3 Horsfall James, Hill
2* Hudson Thos. Hill sole
FARMERS.
3 Hudson Thos. Wadshaw
2 Kellett Wm. Ubarrow hall
2 Kellett Thos. Mourthwaite
2* Mattinson James, Sadgill
2 Mattinson John, Beech hill
3 Mattinson Michael, Tomshow
3 Park John, Bridge end
3 Robinson George, Tenter how
2 Shepherd Richard, High Swinkle bank
2* Sinkinson Robert, High house
3 Thompson William, Well foot
2 Walker Edward, Swinklebank
2 Walker George, Middle Swinklebank
Notice Thomas Adamson, Low house marked as Little London ?
Little London is now Stockdale

The directory data has been tabulated: names formatted in a standard way; role terms controlled; place data with controlled terms for site name, plus a second keyword giving the place in the old directory; other place data, standardised; date added in each row.



photographs
Jigsaw puzzle, multilayer relief map of the valley, scale about 3.5 inches to 1 mile, using NASA relief data.
tiny photograph, 
button to large Longsleddale -- Longsleddale -- Cumbria / -- 25.4.2012
tiny photograph, 
button to large Longsleddale -- Longsleddale -- Cumbria / -- Head of the valley, Harter Fell on the left, Gatescarth Pass central. -- 25.4.2012
tiny photograph, 
button to large Longsleddale -- Longsleddale -- Cumbria / -- Sadgill. -- 25.4.2012
tiny photograph, 
button to large Longsleddale -- Longsleddale -- Cumbria / -- 25.4.2012

photographs
tiny photograph, 
button to large Longsleddale -- Longsleddale -- Cumbria / -- Mist. -- NY48230564 (SE) -- 3.1.2006
tiny photograph, 
button to large Longsleddale -- Longsleddale -- Cumbria / -- NY51420048 (N) -- 22.4.2004
tiny photograph, 
button to large Longsleddale -- Longsleddale -- Cumbria / -- NY48400596 (N) -- 20.4.2006
tiny photograph, 
button to large Longsleddale -- Longsleddale -- Cumbria / -- NY48400596 (N) -- 5.12.2010
tiny photograph, 
button to large Longsleddale -- Longsleddale -- Cumbria / -- 31.5.2009
tiny photograph, 
button to large Longsleddale -- Longsleddale -- Cumbria / -- Looking N from Tills Hole - camera club clouds! -- 28.6.2009
tiny photograph, 
button to large Longsleddale -- Longsleddale -- Cumbria / -- Upper valley, from -- NY48720411 (N) -- 16.4.2010
tiny photograph, 
button to large Longsleddale -- Longsleddale -- Cumbria / -- Sheep in the shade, near Kilnstones. -- 29.6.2009
tiny photograph, 
button to large Longsleddale -- Longsleddale -- Cumbria / -- 19.7.2009
tiny photograph, 
button to large Longsleddale -- Longsleddale -- Cumbria / -- View, -- NY51740059 (NW) -- 11.4.2010
tiny photograph, 
button to large Longsleddale -- Longsleddale -- Cumbria / -- View, -- NY50000450 (SE) -- towards Cappelbarrow. -- 11.4.2010
tiny photograph, 
button to large Longsleddale -- Longsleddale -- Cumbria / -- Tree, near Toms How -- 26.9.2010
tiny photograph, 
button to large Longsleddale -- Longsleddale -- Cumbria / -- Mist. -- 31.12.2010
tiny photograph, 
button to large Longsleddale -- Longsleddale -- Cumbria / -- N from Stile End path. -- 3.1.2012

photographs
courtesy of Heaves Hotel
tiny photograph, 
button to large Longsleddale -- Longsleddale -- Cumbria / -- Painting, watercolour, Longsleddale N from Sadgill, by T J Banks -- 8.2.2011
tiny photograph, 
button to large Longsleddale -- Longsleddale -- Cumbria / -- Painting by Banks, signature lower right:- -- '[T J ] Banks' -- 8.2.2011

photographs
tiny photograph, 
button to large Longsleddale -- Longsleddale -- Cumbria / -- Stone walls. -- NY483060 (at) -- 8.10.2006

hearsay The brock, called a badger since the 18th century, was classified as vermin by statutes of Henry VIII and of Elizabeth I. Parish records for Kendal, 1668-73 list 73 payments for badger heads at 1/- each, mostly from Longsleddale.

hearsay John Wilson was born, in humble circumstances, in Longsleddale. He became a botanist, and wrote a Synopsis of British Plants in Mr. Ray's Method, published 1744. This is the first systematic list of british plants in English. He died 1751, at Kendal.

hearsay Longsleddale is said to be the model for Long Whindale in
Ward, Humphrey, Mrs: 1888: Robert Elsmere
Chapter 1:-
It was a brilliant afternoon towards the end of May. The spring had been unusually cold and late, and it was evident from the general aspect of the lonely Westmoreland valley of Long Whindale that warmth and sunshine had only just penetrated to its bare green recesses, where a few scattered trees were fast rushing into their full summer dress, while at their feet, and along the bank of the stream, the flowers of March and April still lingered, as though they found it impossible to believe that their rough brother, the east wind, had at last deserted them. The narrow road, which was the only link between the farmhouses sheltered by the crags at the head of the valley and those far-away regions of town and civilisation suggested by the smoke wreaths of Whinborough on the southern horizon, was lined with masses of the white heckberry or bird-cherry, and ran, an arrowy line of white, through the greenness of the sloping pastures. The sides of some of the little becks running down into the main river and many of the plantations round the arms were gay with the same tree, so that the farmhouses, gray-roofed and gray-walled, standing in the hollows of the fells, seemed here and there to have been robbed of all their natural austerity of aspect, and to be masquerading in a dainty garb of white and green imposed upon them by the caprice of the spring.
During the greater part of its course the valley of Long Whindale is tame and featureless. The hills at the lower part are low and rounded, and the sheep and cattle pasture over slopes unbroken either by wood or rock. The fields are bare and close shaven by the flocks which feed on them; the walls run either perpendicularly in many places up the fells or horizontally along them, so that, save for the wooded course of the tumbling river and the bush-grown hedges of the road, the whole valley looks like a green map divided by regular lines of grayish black. But as the walker penetrates farther, beyond a certain bend which the stream makes half way from the head of the dale, the hills grow steeper, the breadth between them contracts, the enclosure lines are broken and deflected by rocks and patches of plantation, and the few farms stand more boldly and conspicuously forward, each on its spur of land, looking up to or away from the great masses of frowning crag which close in the head of the valley, and which from the moment they come into sight give it dignity and a wild beauty.

hearsay Many of the incidents in Greendale, of the Postman Pat stories are said to have been inspired by the valley of Longsleddale.
The Postman Pat stories were conceived after teacher John Cunliffe called in at Beast Bank Post Office, Kendal, in the 1970s. John Cunliffe called in and chatted to the post master, Jim, at that time, for background ideas. The post office closed 19 June 2003.

button   Beech Hill, Longsleddale
button   bench mark, NY50070290
button   bench mark, NY50720181
button   bench mark, NY51270187
button   bench mark, NY51760013
button   Blunder, Buckbarrow Crag
button   boundary stone, Longsleddale/Whitwell etc
button   Bowers Wood, Longsleddale
button   Bridge End, Longsleddale
button   bridge, Beech Hill
button   bridge, Docker Nook
button   bridge, Dockernook Gill
button   Buckbarrow Crag, Longsleddale: climb 20130709
button   Capplebarrow House, Longsleddale
button   Community Hall, Longsleddale
button   Dale End Bridge, Longsleddale
button   Dale End, Longsleddale
button   Daleside, Longsleddale
button   dam, Longsleddale
button   Dandle Buttress, Buckbarrow Crag
button   Dandle Direct, Buckbarrow Crag
button   Dandle Face Direct, Buckbarrow Crag
button   Dandle Slabs, Buckbarrow Crag
button   Docker Nook, Longsleddale
button   Dockernook Wood, Longsleddale
button   Domination, Buckbarrow Crag
button   drain, Longsleddale
button   drain, Longsleddale (2)
button   Eagle's Nest, Buckbarrow Crag
button   Express Crack, Buckbarrow Crag
button   footbridge, Bridge End
button   gate, Longsleddale (2)
button   gate, Longsleddale (3)
button   geology, Longsleddale
button   Geronimo, Buckbarrow Crag
button   Grubbings Wood, Longsleddale
button   hedge, Longsleddale
button   High House Wood, Longsleddale
button   High House, Longsleddale
button   Hog's Back, Buckbarrow Crag
button   Island, Longsleddale
button   Kilnstones Wood, Longsleddale
button   Kilnstones, Longsleddale
button   Linjeston's Climb, Buckbarrow Crag
button   Low House Wood, Longsleddale
button   Low House, Longsleddale
button   Low Sadgill, Longsleddale
button   Minotaur, Buckbarrow Crag
button   Murthwaite, Longsleddale
button   Nether Bower garage, Longsleddale
button   Nether Bower, Longsleddale
button   Nether House Wood, Longsleddale
button   Nether House, Longsleddale
button   post box, Longsleddale
button   Russell Knott, Longsleddale
button   Sadgill Wall, Buckbarrow Crag
button   Sadgill, Longsleddale
button   Shackle, Buckbarrow Crag
button   sheep feeder, Longsleddale (18)
button   sheepfold, Longsleddale (2)
button   Sleepwalk, Buckbarrow Crag
button   Snaky Gill
button   Spring Wood, Longsleddale
button   St Mary, Longsleddale
button   St Mary, Longsleddale: repairs 2009
button   Staple Bank, Longsleddale
button   stone wall, Longsleddale (2)
button   stone wall, Longsleddale (3)
button   stone wall, Longsleddale (4)
button   stone wall, Longsleddale (5)
button   stone wall, Longsleddale (6)
button   stone wall, Longsleddale (7)
button   structure, Longsleddale
button   sundial, Longsleddale
button   Tills Hole beck
button   Ubarrow Hall, Longsleddale
button   Ubarrow Hall, Longsleddale: Ubarrow Hall Sausages
button   Ubarrow Wood, Longsleddale
button   Waterfall Buttress, Buckbarrow Crag
button   waterfall, Sprint (2)

Old Cumbria Gazetteer - JandMN: 2013

button to lakes menu  Lakes Guides menu.

©  Martin and Jean Norgate: 2014
mailto button  email:- JandMN@norgate.freeserve.co.uk
button, online connection  Other projects

button, online connection  Geography Department, Portsmouth University