button to main menu   Old Cumbria Gazetteer
placename:- Low Yewdale
locality:- Yewdale
parish Coniston parish, once in Lancashire
county:- Cumbria
building/s
coordinates:- SD31179911
10Km square:- SD39

1Km square SD3199

descriptive text:- Otley 1823 (5th edn 1834)

This is presumably the Coniston Limestone Series?
Guidebook, Concise Description of the English Lakes, later A Description of the English Lakes, by Jonathan Otley, published by the author, Keswick, Cumberland, by J Richardson, London, and by Arthur Foster, Kirky Lonsdale, Cumbria, 1823 onwards.
image OT01P158, button   goto source.
Page 158:-
The THIRD division - forming only inferior elevations - commences with a bed of dark-blue or blackish transition limestone, containing here and there a few shells and madrepores, and alternating with a slaty rock of the same colour; the different layers of each being in some places several feet, in others only a few inches in thickness. This limestone crosses the river Duddon near Broughton; passing Broughton Mills it runs in a north-east direction through Torver, by the foot of the Old Man mountain, and appears near Low Yewdale and Yew Tree. Here it makes a considerable slip to the eastward, after which it ranges past the Tarns upon the hills above Borwick Ground; and stretching through Skelwith, it crosses the head of Windermere near Low Wood Inn. Then passing above Dovenest and Skelgill, it traverses the vales of Troutbeck, Kentmere, and Long Sleddale;
date:- 1823
period:- 19th century, early; 1820s

database:- Listed Buildings 2010

courtesy of English Heritage
LOW YEWDALE FARMHOUSE AND COTTAGE / / A 593 / CONISTON / SOUTH LAKELAND / CUMBRIA / II / 76789 / SD3117699119

placename:- Low Yewdale Farm
district:- South Lakeland
listed building
coordinates:- SD31179911
date:- 2010
period:- 2010s

database:- Listed Buildings 2010

courtesy of English Heritage
BARN TO SOUTH WEST OF LOW YEWDALE FARMHOUSE / / A 593 / CONISTON / SOUTH LAKELAND / CUMBRIA / II / 76791 / SD3116199095
district:- South Lakeland
barn -- listed building
coordinates:- SD31169909
date:- 2010
period:- 2010s

hearsay Referred to as Dixons Farm by Arthur Ransome.

Old Cumbria Gazetteer - JandMN: 2013

button to lakes menu  Lakes Guides menu.

©  Martin and Jean Norgate: 2014
mailto button  email:- JandMN@norgate.freeserve.co.uk
button, online connection  Other projects

button, online connection  Geography Department, Portsmouth University