button to main menu   Old Cumbria Gazetteer
placename:- Monk Coniston Hall
locality:- Monk Coniston
parish Coniston parish, once in Lancashire
county:- Cumbria
building/s
coordinates:- SD31839832
10Km square:- SD39

1Km square SD3198

old text:- Camden 1789 (Gough Additions)

Britannia, or A Chorographical Description of the Flourishing Kingdoms of England, Scotland, and Ireland, by William Camden, 1586, translated from the 1607 Latin edition by Richard Gough, published London, 1789.
Page 143:-
...
... To the north is Coningston ... has the additional name of Fleming to distinguish it from Monk Coningston on the opposite side of the lake which belonged to Furness abbey. ...

placename:- Monk Coningston
date:- 1789
period:- 18th century, late; 1780s

database:- Listed Buildings 2010 -- probably relevant

Listed Buildings 2010 -- probably relevant

courtesy of English Heritage
MONK CONISTON / / B 5285 / CONISTON / SOUTH LAKELAND / CUMBRIA / II / 76799 / SD3181298313
courtesy of English Heritage
House. Late C18 with C19 alterations and additions. Stucco and stone with slate roof. 2 storeys, 4 bays, the central 2 bays break forward under gable; rear wings. Clasping buttresses, those to ends carried up as square turrets with corbelled-out embattled parapets. Most windows straight-headed, with label moulds and 2 Tudor-headed lights. Ground floor windows to 2nd, 3rd, 4th bays have transoms, that to 3rd bay with glazed entrance inserted below transom; that to 1st bay of 3 lights with cusped heads and no transom. Central windows of 1st floor have pointed heads with Y-tracery and hoodmoulds. All windows are sashed, those to 1st floor with glazing bars. Right return entrance front of 3 bays with projecting service bay to right. Central canted bay has ashlar dressings and quoins, end turrets as above. Central bay has 3 Tudor arches to ground floor and 2:4:2-light Tudor-headed windows over; top corbelled-out embattled parapet. Flanking bays have pointed sashed windows. Top penthouse storey is slate hung and gabled, with flanking stacks. Service wing has embattled parapet, window with tripartite sash and gable-end rectangular bay window. Left return central entrance bay breaking forward; ground floor 4-light windows and 1st floor 3- and 2-light windows. Rear has service wings flanking bowed stair bay with 2-light pointed window, some pointed sashed windows. Wing parallel to main range of 2 storeys with attic and 3 bays; windows have paired sashes in glazing bars. Entrance has slate slab porch, door with 9 fielded panels over flush panel. Gabled dormers with horizontally sliding sashes. Several stacks with pointed panels. Interior has entrance hall with gallery. Passage with Tudor arches on triple shafts. Rooms have fireplaces, one with strapwork panels to walls and ceiling, one with ornamental shelves; stair has arcaded balustrade with quatrefoil balusters and stained-glass to window. Some William Morris fabric to walls of small room. Property of The National Trust.

placename:- Monk Coniston
district:- South Lakeland
listed building
coordinates:- SD31819831
date:- 2010
period:- 2010s

database:- Listed Buildings 2010

Listed Buildings 2010

courtesy of English Heritage
COUNTING HOUSE TO NORTH EAST OF MONK CONISTON HALL / / B 5285 / CONISTON / SOUTH LAKELAND / CUMBRIA / II / 76801 / SD3186098351
courtesy of English Heritage
House. C18 or early C19. Roughcast with hipped slate roof. 2 storeys, 3 bays. Ground floor has simple Venetian windows, sashed with intersecting glazing bars to round-heads. 1st floor has sashed windows with glazing bars flanking round headed recess. Round-headed entrance has hood with guilloche moulding on timber Doric columns; paired 3-panel doors, fluted frieze and fanlight with glazing bars. 2 cross-axial stacks. Rear has C20 1st floor extension on posts. Property of The National Trust.

other name:- Counting House
district:- South Lakeland
listed building
coordinates:- SD31869835
date:- 2010
period:- 2010s

database:- Listed Buildings 2010

Listed Buildings 2010

courtesy of English Heritage
FORMER STABLES TO NORTH OF MONK CONISTON HALL / / B 5285 / CONISTON / SOUTH LAKELAND / CUMBRIA / II / 76800 / SD3182998342
courtesy of English Heritage
Stables now service building. Probably C18 or early C19. Roughcast with hipped slate roof. 2 storeys, 3 bays, the central bay breaks forward under gable. Ground floor has casement window with rounded upper angles to 2nd bay; 3rd bay has round-headed window, sashed with intersecting glazing bars and horns. 1st floor has central pitching eye, and lunettes with intersecting glazing bars to end bays. 1st bay has round-headed entrance, fanlight with intersecting glazing bars; 2nd bay has entrance with rounded upper angles and part-glazed 9-panel door. Right return has casement windows, 3 to ground floor, 2 pointed windows to 1st floor. Rear faces hall, stone. Weather vane. Entrance to 1st floor level of left return. Interior has chamfered members to collar and tie beam trusses. Property of The National Trust.
district:- South Lakeland
listed building -- stable
coordinates:- SD31829834
date:- 2010
period:- 2010s

hearsay Once owned by Furness Abbey, Barrow-in-Furness.

Old Cumbria Gazetteer - JandMN: 2013

button to lakes menu  Lakes Guides menu.

©  Martin and Jean Norgate: 2014
mailto button  email:- JandMN@norgate.freeserve.co.uk
button, online connection  Other projects

button, online connection  Geography Department, Portsmouth University