button to main menu   Old Cumbria Gazetteer
parish Brougham parish, once in Westmorland
parish Hutton parish, once in Cumberland
parish Moresby parish, once in Cumberland
county:- Cumbria
roman road; road
References Martin, Allan: 1994: Roman Route across the Northern Lake District; Brougham to Moresby: Centre for NW regional Studies (University of Lancaster, Lancashire):: ISSN 0338 4310

descriptive text:- West 1778 (11th edn 1821)

Guide book, A Guide to the Lakes, by Thomas West, published by William Pennington, Kendal, Cumbria once Westmorland, and in London, 1778 to 1821.
image WS21P124, button   goto source.
Page 124:-
... the road from Keswick to old Carlisle has crossed it [Caer Mote] at right angles. Part of the agger is visible where it issues from the north side of the camp, till where it falls in with the line of the present road. It is distant about ten miles from Keswick, and as much from old Carlisle, and is about two miles west of Ireby.
...
image WS21P144, button   goto source.
Page 144:-
ANTIQUITIES. Upon Hutton-moor, and on the north side of the great road, may be traced the path of the Roman way, that leads
image WS21P145, button   goto source.
Page 145:-
from old Penrith, or Plumpton-wall, in a line almost due west to Keswick. Upon the moor are the traces of a large encampment that the road traverses. And a little beyond the eighth mile-post, on the left, at Whitbarrow, are strong vestiges of a square encampment. The Roman road, beyond that, is met with, in the inclosed fields of Whitbarrow, and is known by the farmers by the opposition they meet in ploughing across it. After that it is found entirely on the common called Greystock Low-moor; and lately they have formed a new road on the agger of it. It proceeds in a right line to Greystock town, where it makes a flexure to the left, and continues in a line to Blencow; it is then found in a ploughed field, about 200 yards to the north of Little-Blencow, pointing at Coach-gate; from thence it passes on the north side of Kellbarrow, and through Cow-close, and was discovered in making the new turnpike road from Penrith to Cockermouth, which it crossed near the toll-gate. From thence it stretches over Whitrigg in a right line, is visible on the edge of the wood at Fair-bank, and in the lane called Low-street. From thence it points through inclosed land to the south end of the station called Plumpton-wall, and old Penrith. It crosses the brook Petteral, at Topinholme.
In the year 1772, near Little-Blencow, in removing a heap of stones, two urns were
image WS21P146, button   goto source.
Page 146:-
taken up, about two feet and a half high, made of very coarse earth, and crusted on both sides with a brown clay, the tops remarkably wide, and covered with a red flat stone. Besides ashes and bones, each urn had a small cup within it, of a fine clay, in the shape of a tea-cup. One was pierced in the centre of the bottom part. The place where they were taken up is called Loddon-how, within twenty yards of the road between Penrith and Skelton, and about 200 yards from the Roman road, and four miles from the station. ...
...
image WS21P150, button   goto source.
Page 150:-
... That Horsley never visited these parts is evident, from his mistaken account of the road from Plumpton-wall to Keswick, which he says passed through Greystock park. This, had he but seen the face of the country, he could never have imagined. His mistake, and Camden's silence, gave occasion to a regular survey of the said road, and finding the military roads from Papcastle, Ellenborough, Moresby, Ambleside, and Plumpton, all to coincide at Keswick: ...
date:- 1778
period:- 18th century, late; 1770s

source:- see:- Bennet, Bishop: 1816 (?)

... another road, which is certainly Roman, came from Brougham, through Stainton, to Whitbarrow, which was therefore a post of some consequence ...
date:- 1816
period:- 19th century, early; 1810s

source:- see:- Stukeley, William: 1776: Itinerarium Curiosum, Centuria II: (London):: p.54

... evident traces of Roman road all the way from Papcastle to Morseby, especially over the moor ...
date:- 1725
period:- 18th century, early; 1720s

mapping:- roman fort, Brougham
Dacrebank, Dacre
Penruddock, Hutton
Bonfire Hill, Hutton
Keswick
roman fort, Moresby

Old Cumbria Gazetteer - JandMN: 2013

button to lakes menu  Lakes Guides menu.

©  Martin and Jean Norgate: 2014
mailto button  email:- JandMN@norgate.freeserve.co.uk
button, online connection  Other projects

button, online connection  Geography Department, Portsmouth University