|placename:-||Crosscanonby Salt Pans|
Crosscanonby parish, once
Crosscanonby Salt Pans -- Crosscanonby -- Cumbria / -- Salt pan. -- NY06674015 (at) -- the structure on the beach is visible in the background. -- 14.6.2008
Crosscanonby Salt Pans -- Crosscanonby -- Cumbria / -- Remains of water tank scaffold on the beach. -- NY06614016 (at) -- 14.6.2008
Ford 1839 map
|Map of the Lake District, published in A Description of Scenery in the Lake District, by William Ford, published by Charles Thurnham, London, 1839.|
|period:-||19th century, early; 1830s|
Crosscanonby Salt Pans were leased to Richard Barwise in
1634, they were probably began about 1630. A land survey of
1699 calls them Mr Lamplugh's salt pans; and shows another
set of salt pans south of Crosscanonby which belonged to the
Senhouse Family of Netherhall, the Netherhall Salt Pans. The
saltern probably ceased working in the 1760s.
On the beach was a water tank on a wooden scaffold, whose footings remain, from which sea water ran onto the sleech in the kinch. Sleech is salt laden sand from the beach; the kinch, where it was piled up is the large round pond, sealed by puddled clay, that can be seen clearly on the site. The strong brine from the kinch trickled down to the brine pit just to the south. The brine was then boiled in iron pans to produce salt, which crystalized out of the brine. Coal for the saltern came from Crosshow, near Dearham.
From 1698 a salt tax was levied. One salt officer was John Smith, d.1730, whose tombstone is at Crosscanonby church, with a carving of him at his desk.
The new coast road was built 1824 and went through the site; the kinch and the salters' cottages were all that was obviously visible. One of the cottages was a pub, possibly called The Solway Inn, for a time.
18th century washing and settling tanks on the shore.
|Old Cumbria Gazetteer - JandMN: 2013|