button to main menu   Old Cumbria Gazetteer
placename:- St Andrew's Church
other name:- Coniston Church
locality:- Coniston
parish Coniston parish, once in Lancashire
county:- Cumbria
church
coordinates:- SD30259757
10Km square:- SD39
References : 2005: Diocese of Carlisle, Directory 2004/5

1Km square SD3097

photograph

St Andrew's Church -- Coniston -- Coniston -- Cumbria / -- 16.9.2005
photograph

St Andrew's Church -- Coniston -- Coniston -- Cumbria / -- 15.11.2011

old map:- Nurse 1918

Map, The Diocese of Carlisle, Cumberland, Westmorland, and Lancashire North of the Sands, now Cumbria, scale about 4 miles to 1 inch, by Rev Euston J Nurse, published by Charles Thurnam and Sons, 11 English Street, Carlisle, Cumberland, 1918 and 2nd edn 1939.
thumbnail NUR1SD29, button to large image
CONISTON
site name:- Ulverston Rural Deanery
site name:- Archdeaconry of Furness
site name:- Diocese of Carlisle
date:- 1939
period:- 1930s

old photograph:- Bell 1880s-1940s

thumbnail HB0659, button to large image
Photograph, black and white, memorial to John Ruskin, St Andrew's Church, Coniston, Cumberland, by Herbert Bell, photographer, Ambleside, Westmorland, 1890s.
stamped on reverse:-
HERBERT BELL / Photographer / AMBLESIDE
person:- : Ruskin, John
date:- 1890=1899
period:- 19th century, late

old photograph:- Bell 1880s-1940s

thumbnail HB0658, button to large image
Photograph, black and white, memorial to John Ruskin, St Andrew's Church, Coniston, Cumberland, by Herbert Bell, photographer, Ambleside, Westmorland, 1890s.
stamped on reverse:-
HERBERT BELL / Photographer / AMBLESIDE
person:- : Ruskin, John
date:- 1890=1899
period:- 19th century, late

old photograph:- Bell 1880s-1940s

thumbnail HB0448, button to large image
Photograph, black and white, grave of John Ruskin, St Andrew's Church, Coniston, Lancashire, by Herbert Bell, Ambleside, Westmorland, 1890s.
stamped at reverse:-
HERBERT BELL / Photographer / AMBLESIDE
person:- : Ruskin, John
date:- 1890=1899
period:- 19th century, late

old map:- Crosthwaite 1783-94 (Con)

Series of maps, An Accurate Map of the Matchless Lake of Derwent, of the Grand Lake of Windermere, of the Beautiful Lake of Ullswater, of Broadwater or Bassenthwaite Lake, of Coniston Lake, of Buttermere, Crummock and Loweswater Lakes, and Pocklington's Island, by Peter Crosthwaite, Kendal, Cumberland now Cumbria, 1783 to 1794.
thumbnail CTESD39D, button to large image
Coniston Church
cross

placename:- Coniston Church
date:- 1783=1794
period:- 18th century, late; 1780s; 1790s

old print:- Pearson 1900s

Guide book, Pearson's Gossipy Guide to the English Lakes and Neighbouring Districts, published by C Arthur Pearson, Henrietta Street, London, 1900s.
thumbnail PS1E38, button to large image
Print, halftone photograph, Ruskin's Grave, St Andrew's Church, Coniston, Lancashire, published by C Arthur Pearson, Henrietta Street, London, 1900s.
On p.99 of Pearson's Gossipy Guide to the English Lakes and Neighbouring Districts.
printed at bottom:-
RUSKIN'S GRAVE, CONISTON. (p.98). / (Ruskin's grave is the mound in the immediate foreground).
person:- : Ruskin, John
date:- 1900=1909
period:- 1900s

database:- Listed Buildings 2010

Listed Buildings 2010

courtesy of English Heritage
CHURCH OF ST ANDREW / / / CONISTON / SOUTH LAKELAND / CUMBRIA / II / 76783 / SD3025097569
courtesy of English Heritage
Church. 1819. Chancel, vestry, organ loft and porches, 1891 by J. Matson. Slate with ashlar dressings, slate roof. Nave with west tower, chancel with north vestry and south organ loft. 4-bay nave has coped gables. Elliptical- headed windows with hoodmoulds and 2-light timber frames with leaded glazing. Tower has west lancet with hoodmould; string course, and paired stone-louvred bell openings with no dressings, with 3-face clock below; top cornice and embattled parapet. Flanking porches have embattled parapets; entrances have 4-centred heads and 2-light square-headed windows; cast iron rainwater heads. Chancel, vestry and organ loft have weathered bases, coped gables and quoins. Chancel has 5-light window with Perpendicular tracery on sill band, and single traceried light to south. Vestry is roughcast with lateral stack and 2-light north window with transom; west entrance. Organ loft has 3-light window with Perpendicular tracery. Interior: King and queen post trusses with decorative bracing and tracery. West gallery of 1891 has turned posts, false 4-centred arches, balustrade with deep cornice and early C19 painted royal arms. Baptistry under tower has stained glass window by Kempe, 1893; alabaster octagonal font. Chancel arch has roll mould. Chancel has arches to vestry and organ loft and panelled east wall and reredos with blind tracery.

placename:- Church of St Andrew
district:- South Lakeland
listed building
coordinates:- SD30259756
date:- 2010
period:- 2010s

database:- Listed Buildings 2010

Listed Buildings 2010

courtesy of English Heritage
MEMORIAL CROSS TO JOHN RUSKIN APPROXIMATELY 23 METRES EAST OF ST ANDREW'S CHURCH / / / CONISTON / SOUTH LAKELAND / CUMBRIA / II / 76784 / SD3028097568
courtesy of English Heritage
Memorial in form of Anglo-celtic cross. 1901. By W.G. Collingwood, an expert in ancient crosses. Slightly tapering rectangular shaft, cross head with swept arms. Interlace scrollwork and symbolic panels. Memorial reads: "JOHN RUSKIN/ 1819:1900". East face has, from bottom to top: youth playing lyre; inscription with interlace above and below; youth sketching in Swiss Alps (representing "Modern Painters"); St Mark's Lion (Stones of Venice); 7 branched candlestick (Seven Lamps of Architecture). Cross head has interlace and hemisphere. South face has scrollwork of dogrose with squirrel, kingfisher and wren. West face has scene from parable of vineyard ("Unto This Last"); lilies and sesame seeds ("Sesame and Lilies"); crowned angel holding club, key and nail ("Fors Clavigera"); olive wreath ("Crown of Wild Olive"); St George and dragon (representing Guild of St George). North face has interlace panel. John Ruskin was the foremost art critic of the Victorian age, and also wrote on social and economic matters.
district:- South Lakeland
listed building -- memorial
coordinates:- SD30289756
person:- : Ruskin, John
date:- 2010
period:- 2010s

incumbents:-
Dickson, George 1603
Walker, John 1603
Dowson, Robert 1606
Rawling, Richard 1646
Roule, Richard, Sir (?) 1650
Birkett, John 1683
Stoup, John 1716
Strickland, John 1761
Mossman, Henry 1803
Lishman, William 1803 (resigned)
Lindow, John 1804
Tyson, William 1805
Lindow, Jonas 1806
Stamper, William
Braithwaite, Gawen 1808
Hodgson, John 1808
Swainson, John 1811
Douglas, John 1817
Sandys, William Travis 1825
Siree, H 1835
Harden, J W 1837
Boutflower, S 1837
Tolming, Thomas 1839
Chapman, Charles 1870
Wood, H E 1905
Wilcox, Frederick T 1906

photographs
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Andrew's Church -- Coniston -- Coniston -- Cumbria / -- An impressive coat of arms, royal arms of George III from 1816. -- 16.9.2005
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Andrew's Church -- Coniston -- Coniston -- Cumbria / -- Organ. -- 10.11.2010
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Andrew's Church -- Coniston -- Coniston -- Cumbria / -- Mothers Union banner. -- 10.11.2010
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Andrew's Church -- Coniston -- Coniston -- Cumbria / -- Model of the church as it was in 1819, by John D Usher, builder and quarryman -- 10.11.2010
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Andrew's Church -- Coniston -- Coniston -- Cumbria / -- The Ruskin memorial in the churchyard. -- 16.9.2005
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Andrew's Church -- Coniston -- Coniston -- Cumbria / -- Sir Donald Campbell's gravestone - in a nearby extension graveyard, -- SD30539767 (at) -- 10.11.2010

hearsay John Ruskin, b.1819 d.1900, was an art critic and social theorist. He promoted the Pre-Raphaelite school of painting, two important works are the 'Stones of Venice' and 'Modern Painters'. In the 1860s he published essays on economics, advocated national education, the organisation of labour, and other social reforms.

hearsay There was a church here built by William Fleming of Coniston Hall, 1586. This was rebuilt in 1819; additions 1891; refurbished etc.

button   Dacre Bears, Dacre
button   Giant's Grave, Penrith
button   Giant's Thumb, Penrith
button   Penrith Parish Centre, Penrith
button   privy, Borrowdale
button   ring of bells, Dacre
button   ring of bells, Dent
button   ring of bells, Greystoke
button   ring of bells, Penrith
button   ring of bells, Sedbergh
button   ring of bells, Thursby
button   sundial, Dacre
button   sundial, Greystoke (2)
button   sundial, Kirkandrews on Esk
button   sundial, Penrith
button   sundial, Penrith (2)
button   sundial, Penrith (3)
button   sundial, Sedbergh
button   war memorial, Borrowdale
button   war memorial, Coniston
button   war memorial, Crosby Garrett
button   war memorial, Penrith
button   war memorial, Sedbergh

Old Cumbria Gazetteer - JandMN: 2013

button to lakes menu  Lakes Guides menu.

©  Martin and Jean Norgate: 2014
mailto button  email:- JandMN@norgate.freeserve.co.uk
button, online connection  Other projects

button, online connection  Geography Department, Portsmouth University