button to main menu   Old Cumbria Gazetteer
www.dove.cccbr.org.uk
placename:- St Andrew's Church
other name:- Sedbergh Church
locality:- Sedbergh
parish Sedbergh parish, once in Yorkshire
county:- Cumbria
church
coordinates:- SD65719208
10Km square:- SD69

1Km square SD6592

photograph

St Andrew's Church -- Sedbergh -- Sedbergh -- Cumbria / -- 23.9.2005
photograph

St Andrew's Church -- Sedbergh -- Sedbergh -- Cumbria / -- 13.8.2009

old map:- OS County Series (Yrk 63 3)

County Series maps of Great Britain, scales 6 and 25 inches to 1 mile, published by the Ordnance Survey, Southampton, Hampshire, from about 1863 to 1948.

placename:- St Andrew's Church
church
date:- 1890=1899
period:- 19th century, late; 1890s

old map:- Jefferys 1770 (Wmd)

Map, The County of Westmoreland, scale about 1 inch to 1 mile, surveyed by J Ainslie and perhaps T Donald, engraved and published by Thomas Jefferys, London, 1770.
thumbnail J5SD69SE, button to large image
church
county:- Westmorland
date:- 1770
period:- 18th century, late; 1770s

old print:- Thompson 1894

Guide book, An Illustrated Guide to Sedbergh, Garsdale, and Dent, by W Thompson, Sedbergh, published by Richard Jackson, Commercial Street, Leeds, Yorkshire, 1894.
thumbnail THP104, button to large image
Print, engraving, Sedbergh Church, Exterior, Yorkshire, published by Richard Jackson, Commercial Street, Leeds, Yorkshire, 1894.
On p.32 of An Illustrated Guide to Sedbergh, Garsdale, and Dent, by W Thompson.
date:- 1894
period:- 19th century, late

old print:- Thompson 1894

Guide book, An Illustrated Guide to Sedbergh, Garsdale, and Dent, by W Thompson, Sedbergh, published by Richard Jackson, Commercial Street, Leeds, Yorkshire, 1894.
thumbnail THP105, button to large image
Print, engraving, Sedbergh Church, Interior, Yorkshire, published by Richard Jackson, Commercial Street, Leeds, Yorkshire, 1894.
On p.37 of An Illustrated Guide to Sedbergh, Garsdale, and Dent, by W Thompson.
date:- 1894
period:- 19th century, late

database:- Listed Buildings 2010

Listed Buildings 2010

courtesy of English Heritage
CHURCH OF ST ANDREW / / MAIN STREET / SEDBERGH / SOUTH LAKELAND / CUMBRIA / I / 484624 / SD6572392075
courtesy of English Heritage
Parish church. Mostly c1500, but incorporating fabric of various earlier periods; with major restoration 1886-7. Mixed random rubble with sandstone quoins and dressings, green slate roof.
PLAN: nave, chancel, continuous north and south aisles which include south chapel and north vestry; west tower.
EXTERIOR: the square 3-stage tower has west buttresses to half height, with 4 offsets, belfry stage slightly corbelled out and embattled parapet with corner pinnacles; a restored 2-centred arched 3-light west window with cusped lights, a transom and a hoodmould; the hoodmould of a former window at a high level of the 2nd stage (and a very small opening below this); and a square-headed belfry window of 3 round-headed lights with hollow spandrels, with stone louvres and a hoodmould. The 5-bay nave has clerestory windows of 3 round-headed lights with hollow spandrels and cavetto hoodmoulds. The long, low aisles have buttresses, cavetto dripbands, embattled parapets and square-headed 4-light windows with round-headed lights, hollow spandrels and cavetto hoodmoulds with figured stops; the south aisle has a gabled porch to the 2nd bay, with a wide 2-centred moulded arch, a hoodmould, a small round-headed niche above this, and coped parapet with ball finial; a large stone sundial over a square-headed priest door to the chapel, and east of this a window of 3 trefoil lights. The north aisle has a corresponding but smaller gabled porch with a round-headed archway moulded in 2 orders, a cavetto hoodmould, a small round-headed niche with a statue, gable coping with a large carved stone finial; and a simple round-headed inner doorway (said to be Norman). At the north-east corner of this aisle is an unusual diagonal buttress with an elaborate ogival niche. The east end has a wide segmental-headed chancel window of 3 round-headed lancet lights, flanked by a 4-light window to the chapel and a 3-light window to the vestry.
INTERIOR: differing north and south aisle arcades, 6 bays to the south and 8 to the north, both with mostly cylindrical piers (those of the north restored) and round arches with small chamfer, but the piers of the south arcade are much shorter, its west respond is tripartite with a keeled middle member, its 5th arch is wider and has double-chamfer, and its 6th arch (to the chapel) is 2-centred; the north arcade has a rectangular pier opposite the north door, its 5th and 6th arches, both wider and lower than the others, are asymmetrical, and the arch on the north side of the chancel is 2-centred; and above the north arcade are 3 blocked windows of a formerly lower clerestory. Two-centred tower arch flanked at the top by remains of former round-headed windows. West window of north aisle breaks into right-hand side of former deeply-splayed round-headed window. Various wall monuments between the arches of the nave arcade. C19 pulpit with restored C18 sounding-board.

placename:- Church of St Andrew
district:- South Lakeland
listed building
coordinates:- SD65729207
date:- 2010
period:- 2010s

incumbents:-
Popiltom, John de 1350 (about)
Boghland, Elyas de 1379 (about)
Rydmer, Cuthbert de 1399
Lynton, John de 1416 (about)
Wenslawe, John 1434
Leytley, T 1494 (about)
Mydlam, Richard 1528 (about)
Atkinson, Thomas 1554
Wiginton, Giles 1579
Colclough, Adam 1585
Hampton, Edward 1597 (about)
Harrison, George 1610
Wyharne, Joseph 1613
Hinton, Benjamin 1615
Cademan, Robert 1624
Briscoe, Thomas 1634
Burton, Leonard 1660
Rose, Jonathan 1682
Lambert, Thomas 1727
Driffield, Joseph 1741
Bateman, Wynne 1746
Meryelt, John 1754
Place, Marwood 1764
Gawthrop, William 1766
Peacock, Daniel M 1798
Riddell, Thomas 1840
Platt, George 1841
Quick, Robert H 1883
Lobley, Joseph A 1887
South, Edward W 1889
Guy, Douglas S 1894
Cadman, John M 1904

source:- Dove 2009

diocese:- Bradford Diocese
locality:- Sedbergh
coordinates:- SD657921

hearsay Bells were used to give notice of 'news'. On one day, Adam Sedgwick, riding over from Dent to get the newspapers and letters, heard the Sedbergh bells ringing. He met a countryman returning from Sedbergh who told him:-
'News, Sir, sich as niver was heard before: I kna lile about it, but the Kendal Postman had just come an hour before his time. He was all covered with ribbons, and his horse was all covered with froth.' Hearing this, I [Sedgwick] spurred my horse to the Kendal Postman's speed; and it was my joyful fortune to reach Sedbergh, not many minutes after the arrival of the Gazette Extraordinary which told us of the great victory of Waterloo. ...

photographs
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Andrew's Church -- Sedbergh -- Sedbergh -- Cumbria / -- 13.8.2009

photographs
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Andrew's Church -- Sedbergh -- Sedbergh -- Cumbria / -- 8.7.2011 -- Plaque about bells in the nave:- -- 'THIS TABLET /is placed here by the parishioners of / SEDBRGH. / in grateful rememberance of the / faithful labours of / ROBERT HERBERT QUICK, / VICAR 1183-1887. / EIGHT BELLS were place in the Belfry / in 1897 by his widow as a memorial to him. / They bear Latin inscriptions of which / the following are translations: / 1. "To the glory of God and in memory of / Robert Herbert Quick, Vicar of this parish, / 1883-1887 given by his widow 1897. / Thanks be to God who giveth us the Victory." / 2. " Time passeth away / Work while it is day / Watch and pray" / 3. "Day by day we magnify thee" / (DAILY SERVICE BELL) / 4. "Lift up your hearts. We lift them up unto the Lord." / (HOLY COMMUNION BELL) / 5. "Lord now lettest Thou thy servant depart in peace." / (PASSING BELL) 6. "Holy Virgin, Mother of Christ, Queen of Heaven." / (RECAST 1897) / 7. "Christ King of Heaven may this sound please thee." / (RECAST 1897) / 8. "May this bell be blessed by the Holy Trinity." / (RECAST 1897) / The last three bells origonally cast early in the / 15th. Century bear the inscriptions then placed up on. / DOUGLAS S. GUY. VICAR. / JOHN WADESON, GEORGE SEDGWICK, CHURCH WARDENS. / Festival of St. Andrew, 1897.'

Dove data number of bells: 8
weight of tenor: 15 cwt 1 qtr 25 lb (1733lbs)
pitch of tenor: F (712Hz)
scale:-
F, G, A, B flat, C, D, E, F
Complete octave; intervals TTSTTTS; F major.
Bells cast by John Taylor and Co, 1897.
Dove 2009
Data courtesy of the Central Council of Church Bell Ringers

references Handley, Diana: 1983: Notes on Furness Branch Bells::: inscriptions and history

notes Described in:-
Butler, Lawrence (ed): 2011: Church Notes of Sir Stephen Glynne for Cumbria, 1833-1872: CWAAS:: ISBN 978 1 873124 52 9
Extracted from the original notes made by Sir Stephen, now in Deiniol's Library, Hawarden, Flintshire, contact through Flintshire Record Office

photographs
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Andrew's Church -- Sedbergh -- Sedbergh -- Cumbria / -- Organ, made by Norman Bros and Beard, Norwich. -- 2.3.2007
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Andrew's Church -- Sedbergh -- Sedbergh -- Cumbria / -- Poor box, 1633. -- 31.3.2008
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Andrew's Church -- Sedbergh -- Sedbergh -- Cumbria / -- Memorial to Sir John Ottway, died 1693. -- 2.3.2007
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Andrew's Church -- Sedbergh -- Sedbergh -- Cumbria / -- Embroidery, 1993-1998. -- 31.3.2008
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Andrew's Church -- Sedbergh -- Sedbergh -- Cumbria / -- Embroidery, 2004-2009. -- 31.3.2008
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Andrew's Church -- Sedbergh -- Sedbergh -- Cumbria / -- A parish chest? -- 23.11.2012

photographs
John Dawson, doctor and mathematician, is buried here. He died 19 September 1820. There is a bust of him, with an inscription:-
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Andrew's Church -- Sedbergh -- Sedbergh -- Cumbria / -- Memorial to John Dawson, mathematician, teacher etc, died 1820. -- 13.8.2009
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Andrew's Church -- Sedbergh -- Sedbergh -- Cumbria / -- Gravestone, John and Ann Dawson et al. -- 13.8.2009

button   Dacre Bears, Dacre
button   Giant's Grave, Penrith
button   Giant's Thumb, Penrith
button   Penrith Parish Centre, Penrith
button   privy, Borrowdale
button   ring of bells, Dacre
button   ring of bells, Dent
button   ring of bells, Greystoke
button   ring of bells, Penrith
button   ring of bells, Sedbergh
button   ring of bells, Thursby
button   sundial, Dacre
button   sundial, Greystoke (2)
button   sundial, Kirkandrews on Esk
button   sundial, Penrith
button   sundial, Penrith (2)
button   sundial, Penrith (3)
button   sundial, Sedbergh
button   war memorial, Borrowdale
button   war memorial, Coniston
button   war memorial, Crosby Garrett
button   war memorial, Penrith
button   war memorial, Sedbergh

Old Cumbria Gazetteer - JandMN: 2013

button to lakes menu  Lakes Guides menu.

©  Martin and Jean Norgate: 2014
mailto button  email:- JandMN@norgate.freeserve.co.uk
button, online connection  Other projects

button, online connection  Geography Department, Portsmouth University