button to main menu   Old Cumbria Gazetteer
www.dove.cccbr.org.uk
placename:- St Anne's Church
locality:- Ings
parish Hugill parish, once in Westmorland
county:- Cumbria
church
coordinates:- SD44609863
10Km square:- SD49

1Km square SD4498

photograph

St Anne's Church -- Ings -- Hugill -- Cumbria / -- 7.10.2005
photograph

St Anne's Church -- Ings -- Hugill -- Cumbria / -- 7.10.2005

old map:- Nurse 1918

Map, The Diocese of Carlisle, Cumberland, Westmorland, and Lancashire North of the Sands, now Cumbria, scale about 4 miles to 1 inch, by Rev Euston J Nurse, published by Charles Thurnam and Sons, 11 English Street, Carlisle, Cumberland, 1918 and 2nd edn 1939.
thumbnail NUR1SD49, button to large image
INGS
site name:- Kendal Rural Deanery
site name:- Archdeaconry of Westmorland
site name:- Diocese of Carlisle
date:- 1939
period:- 1930s

old map:- Garnett 1850s-60s H

Map of the English Lakes, scale about 3.5 miles to 1 inch, published by John Garnett, Windermere, Westmorland, 1850s-60s.
thumbnail GAR2SD49, button to large image
cross, a church
date:- 1850=1869
period:- 19th century, late; 1850s; 1860s

descriptive text:- Ford 1839 (3rd edn 1843)

Description of Scenery in the Lake District, by William Ford, published by Charles Thurnham, London, et al, 1839; published 1839-52.
Page 23:-
[Ings] ... the chapel, which is a neat edifice, was rebuilt in 1743, by Robert Bateman, a poor lad, who being furnished with a small subscription by the congregation to assist him on his pedestrian journey to London, rose from the lowest menial office in the house of a wealthy merchant, to be his master's partner. ...
Page 160:-
...
Ings Chapel is a neat edifice, rebuilt in 1743.
person:- : Bateman, Robert
date:- 1839
period:- 19th century, early; 1830s

descriptive text:- West 1778 (11th edn 1821)

Guide book, A Guide to the Lakes, by Thomas West, published by William Pennington, Kendal, Cumbria once Westmorland, and in London, 1778 to 1821.
image WS21P213, button   goto source.
Addendum; Mr Gray's Journal, 1769
Page 213:-
...
[on the way to Kendal] Passed by Ings chapel, and Staveley; but I can say no farther, for the dusk of the evening coming on, ...

placename:- Ings Chapel
date:- 1769
period:- 18th century, late; 1760s

old map:- Jefferys 1770 (Wmd)

Map, The County of Westmoreland, scale about 1 inch to 1 mile, surveyed by J Ainslie and perhaps T Donald, engraved and published by Thomas Jefferys, London, 1770.
thumbnail J5SD49NW, button to large image
Ings Chaple
church

placename:- Ings Chaple
county:- Westmorland
date:- 1770
period:- 18th century, late; 1770s

old map:- Bowen 1720 (plate 260)

Road book, Britannia Depicta Or Ogilby Improv'd, including road strip maps with sections in Westmorland, scale about 2 miles to 1 inch, derived from maps by Ogilby, 1675, and a county map of Westmorland, scale about 8 miles to 1 inch, with text by John Owen, published by Emanuel Bowen, London, 1720; published 1720-64.
thumbnail B260m05, button to large image
Chapel on ye Inges
At mile 6-7.
date:- 1720
period:- 18th century, early; 1720s

old map:- Ogilby 1675 (plate 96)

Road book, Britannia, strip road maps, with sections in Westmorland and Cumberland etc, scale about 1 inch to 1 mile, by John Ogilby, London, 1675; and a general map of England and Wales.
image OG96m005, button   goto source.
thumbnail OG96m005, button to large image
In mile 6, Westmoreland.
Chapel on the Inges
drawn on the right of the road, by houses.

placename:- Chapel on the Inges
date:- 1675
period:- 17th century, late; 1670s

database:- Listed Buildings 2010

Listed Buildings 2010

courtesy of English Heritage
CHURCH OF ST ANNE / / / HUGILL / SOUTH LAKELAND / CUMBRIA / II[star] / 76470 / SD4460898633
courtesy of English Heritage
Parish Church dated 1743 on plaque, restored and North Transept added in 1877. Roughly coursed rubble walls, sandstone quoins and window surrounds, graduated greenslate roof and stone ridge. Stone urns to each corner. 6 bays. Continuous nave and chancel. Square tower at West end with corniced ashlar parapet surmounted by 8 stone flaming torches. West entrance in base of tower has plain classical doorcase with broken pediment enclosing the coat of arms of Robert Bateman of Reston Hall (q.v.). A plaque over the door is inscribed "This Chapel was begun to be built Anno Domini 1743 at ye sole expense of Mr Robert Bateman Merchant of Leghorn Born in this Hamlet but He Dying suddenly the same year the work was ordered and appointed to be finished by his Executors". C19 studded wooden double doors fitted with wooden lock apparently dated 1682 but very worn. East window: Venetian with rusticated central architrave within open and broken pediment; remaining windows: arched heads with keystones and impost blocks. Interior has coved and panelled ceiling, said to have been plastered during C19 restoration, with continuous frieze and dentil cornice, supported by Ionic pillars on pedestals in the chancel. East window, to memory of Isabella Thompson and signed by Edward Frampton, is flanked by panels with quotations from the Bible set in C19 Jacobean style panelling; C18 turned altar rails; brass in chancel commemorating the restoration of 1877 with poem by Wordsworth to Robert Bateman. Opening in West Tower filled with 3-stage screen of Corinthian order. Lower stage has round-headed double doors with small twisted pilasters, flanked by Corinthian pilasters with defaced capitals. Royal Arms above. Marble floor sent from Italy by Bateman. C18 font with cherub heads possibly with later pedestal.

placename:- Church of St Anne
district:- South Lakeland
listed building
coordinates:- SD44609863
date:- 2010
period:- 2010s

incumbents:-
Inman, James 1546
Stevenson, Clement 1616
Addison, Edward 1663
Robinson, James 1676
Gaythorpe, William 1732
Stephenson, Robert 1734
Bradley, John 1738
Knipe, Isaac 1746
Scales, Thomas 1754
Jackson, Edward 1761
Wilson, John 1763
Jackson, John 1763
Kilner, William 1764
Airey, John 1813
Harris, Charles B 1845
Finch, Mathew I 1847
Fenton, Thomas 1854
Cosbey, James 1887
Reade, George E P 1910

source:- Dove 2009

diocese:- Carlisle Diocese
locality:- Ings
coordinates:- SD446987

photographs
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Anne's Church -- Ings -- Hugill -- Cumbria / -- Steps to the ringing chamber. -- 9.7.2009

Dove data number of bells: 3
weight of tenor: 7 cwt 0 qtr 0 lb (about 780lbs)
Bells cast by Edward Seller, 1743.
Dove 2009
Data courtesy of the Central Council of Church Bell Ringers

photocopy Godfrey 1881:-
vol.6 p.85

image t1006085.jpg
Godfrey, Robert: 1881: Westmorland Bells: TransCWAAS: vol.6: pp.83-85

photographs
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Anne's Church -- Ings -- Hugill -- Cumbria / -- The font. -- 7.10.2005
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Anne's Church -- Ings -- Hugill -- Cumbria / -- Organ. -- 9.7.2009
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Anne's Church -- Ings -- Hugill -- Cumbria / -- Coat of arms, George I ? -- 7.10.2005
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Anne's Church -- Ings -- Hugill -- Cumbria / -- Plaque over the door:- -- 'This chapel was begun to be Rebuilt Anno Domini. 1743. at ye Sole Expence of Mr. Robert Bateman Merchant at Leghorne Born in this Hamlet. But he Dying Suddenly the same Year. The work was ordered And appointed to be finished By his Executors' -- 7.10.2005
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Anne's Church -- Ings -- Hugill -- Cumbria / -- Parish chest. -- 9.7.2009
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Anne's Church -- Ings -- Hugill -- Cumbria / -- Mothers Union banner. -- 12.12.2012
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Anne's Church -- Ings -- Hugill -- Cumbria / -- Notice of subscribers to rebuilding. -- 9.7.2009
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Anne's Church -- Ings -- Hugill -- Cumbria / -- Notice of charities. -- 9.7.2009
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Anne's Church -- Ings -- Hugill -- Cumbria / -- Coat of arms over the door. -- 7.10.2005
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Anne's Church -- Ings -- Hugill -- Cumbria / -- Weathervane. -- 26.3.2008

photographs
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Anne's Church -- Ings -- Hugill -- Cumbria / -- Old painting. -- 9.7.2009

hearsay Rebuilt 1743.

button   ring of bells, Ings
button   sundial, Hallthwaites
button   war memorial, Thwaites

Old Cumbria Gazetteer - JandMN: 2013

button to lakes menu  Lakes Guides menu.

©  Martin and Jean Norgate: 2014
mailto button  email:- JandMN@norgate.freeserve.co.uk
button, online connection  Other projects

button, online connection  Geography Department, Portsmouth University