button to main menu   Old Cumbria Gazetteer
placename:- St Bridget's Church
other name:- Brigham Church
locality:- Brigham
parish Brigham parish, once in Cumberland
county:- Cumbria
church
coordinates:- NY08503090
10Km square:- NY03
References : 2005: Diocese of Carlisle, Directory 2004/5

1Km square NY0830

photograph

St Bridget's Church -- Brigham -- Brigham -- Cumbria / -- 14.5.2007
photograph

St Bridget's Church -- Brigham -- Brigham -- Cumbria / -- 14.5.2007

old map:- Nurse 1918

Map, The Diocese of Carlisle, Cumberland, Westmorland, and Lancashire North of the Sands, now Cumbria, scale about 4 miles to 1 inch, by Rev Euston J Nurse, published by Charles Thurnam and Sons, 11 English Street, Carlisle, Cumberland, 1918 and 2nd edn 1939.
thumbnail NUR1NY03, button to large image
BRIGHAM
site name:- Cockermouth and Workington Rural Deanery
site name:- Archdeaconry of Westmorland
site name:- Diocese of Carlisle
date:- 1939
period:- 1930s

database:- Listed Buildings 2010

Listed Buildings 2010

courtesy of English Heritage
CHURCH OF ST BRIDGET / / / BRIGHAM / ALLERDALE / CUMBRIA / I / 72599 / NY0858230921
courtesy of English Heritage
Parish Church. Late C11 with C12, C13 and C14 additions and alterations; restoration 1864-76 by William Butterfield. Calciferous sandstone ashlar, under graduated greenslate roof with coped gables, cross finials and shaped ridge tiles. 3-bay nave and south aisle with square 3-storey west tower and south porch. 2-bay chancel with north vestry. Nave has blocked north doorway under round-headed niche. C19 2-light windows. Aisle has buttressed wall with C14 windows, that in west wall almond shaped and that in east wall 5-light, all with heavily restored tracery. Circa 1390 porch has pointed arch and hoodmould. Tower has blocked C14 west door under 2-light ogee-headed window; 2-light bell openings and 1876 gabled roof. South and east chancel walls have been partly rebuilt in C19, but the lower courses retain on the south a small rectangular window and blocked priest's doorway; 3-light window retaining some of its original C13 tracery. 5-light replica C13 east window. Vestry has reused 2-light window with C13 tracery. Interior: C13 font. 3-bay aisle of round arches on round columns with waterleaf capitals. 1876 painted timber ceiling. Medieval cross slab built into north wall. Aisle piscina, sedilia and tomb recess for vicar Thomas de Burgh 1348; east window has flanking statue niches. Various sculptured fragments from the medieval and earlier church. Pointed tower arch and vaulted lower chamber. Newel staircase in thickness of wall angle. Medieval cross slab built into blocked west door. Wall plaques to Langton family of Cockermouth. Pointed chancel arch. Chancel has C19 painted timber ceiling. C19 aumbry recess. Unsigned C19 carved white-marble wall plaque to Ann Mary Morris. C19 furnishings and fittings; C19 stained glass by Cox & Buckley and Sons, 1870 and by Alexander Gibbs, 1865.

placename:- Church of St Bridget
district:- Allerdale
listed building
coordinates:- NY08583092
date:- 2010
period:- 2010s

photocopy Church Bells in Leath Ward:-
vol.14 p.275

image t1014275.jpg
vol.14 p.276

image t1014276.jpg
vol.14 p.277

image t1014277.jpg
vol.14 p.278

image t1014278.jpg
vol.14 p.279

image t1014279.jpg
vol.14 p.280

image t1014280.jpg
vol.14 p.281

image t1014281.jpg
vol.14 p.282

image t1014282.jpg
vol.14 p.283

image t1014283.jpg
vol.14 p.284

image t1014284.jpg
vol.14 p.285

image t1014285.jpg
vol.14 p.286

image t1014286.jpg
vol.14 p.287

image t1014287.jpg
vol.14 p.288

image t1014288.jpg
vol.14 p.289

image t1014289.jpg
vol.14 p.290

image t1014290.jpg
Whitehead, H (posthumous): 1895: Bells of Brigham, Cockermouth, Crosthwaite, Distington, and Holme Cultram: TransCWAAS: vol.14: pp.275-334

old drawing:-
thumbnail PR0842, button to large image
Drawing, Brigham, Cross Fragment, St Bridget's Church, Brigham, Cumberland, by William Gershom Collingwood, about 1899.
Sketch of two fragments of a cross shaft with carved decoration of plaiting interlacing. The fragment dates from 11th century.
Drawn to illustrate Notes on the Early Sculptured Crosses, Shrines and Monuments in the Present Diocese of Carlisle, by Rev William Slater Calverley, published by T Wilson, Kendal 1899; on p.77.
inscribed at bottom centre:-
Brigham; cross fragment
initialled at bottom right:-
W.G.C.
date:- 1899
period:- 19th century, late

old print:- Calverley 1899

Notes on the Early Sulptured Crosses, Shrines and Monuments in the Present Diocese of Carisle, by Rev William Slater Calverley, edited by W G Collingwood, published for the Cumberland and Westmorland Antiquarian and Archaeological Society, by Titus Wilson, Kendal, Westmorland, 1899.
Cross socket:-
thumbnail CV1058, button to large image
Kept at the vicarage:-
thumbnail CV1059, button to large image
In the chancel, etc:-
thumbnail CV1060, button to large image
thumbnail CV1061, button to large image
Sketches by W G Collingwood.
date:- 1899
period:- 19th century, late; 1890s

notes Described in:-
Butler, Lawrence (ed): 2011: Church Notes of Sir Stephen Glynne for Cumbria, 1833-1872: CWAAS:: ISBN 978 1 873124 52 9
Extracted from the original notes made by Sir Stephen, now in Deiniol's Library, Hawarden, Flintshire, contact through Flintshire Record Office

5 cross slab grave covers.
Ryder, Peter: 2001: Cross Slab Grave Covers of Cumbria: Cumbria CC (Carlisle, Cumbria)

button   ring of bells, Bridekirk
button   sundial, Brigham
button   war memorial, Brigham

Old Cumbria Gazetteer - JandMN: 2013

button to lakes menu  Lakes Guides menu.

©  Martin and Jean Norgate: 2014
mailto button  email:- JandMN@norgate.freeserve.co.uk
button, online connection  Other projects

button, online connection  Geography Department, Portsmouth University