button to main menu   Old Cumbria Gazetteer
www.dove.cccbr.org.uk
placename:- St James's Church
other name:- Barrow-in-Furness Church
locality:- Barrow-in-Furness
parish Barrow-in-Furness borough, once in Lancashire
county:- Cumbria
church
coordinates:- SD19486994
10Km square:- SD16
References : 2005: Diocese of Carlisle, Directory 2004/5

1Km square SD1969

Design by E G Paley, built 1867-69.
photograph

St James's Church -- Barrow-in-Furness -- Barrow-in-Furness -- Cumbria / -- 30.8.2006

old map:- Nurse 1918

Map, The Diocese of Carlisle, Cumberland, Westmorland, and Lancashire North of the Sands, now Cumbria, scale about 4 miles to 1 inch, by Rev Euston J Nurse, published by Charles Thurnam and Sons, 11 English Street, Carlisle, Cumberland, 1918 and 2nd edn 1939.
thumbnail NUR1ins1, button to large image
BARROW-IN-FURNESS / ST. JAMES
site name:- Dalton Rural Deanery
site name:- Archdeaconry of Furness
site name:- Diocese of Carlisle
date:- 1939
period:- 1930s

database:- Listed Buildings 2010

Listed Buildings 2010

courtesy of English Heritage
CHURCH OF ST JAMES / / BLAKE STREET / BARROW IN FURNESS / BARROW IN FURNESS / CUMBRIA / II[star] / 388416 / SD1946069944
courtesy of English Heritage
Church. 1867-69. By EG Paley, vestry added 1883. Red brick with blue brick patterning; ashlar sandstone dressings and spire; green slate roof. 6-bay nave with lean-to aisles and south porch; polygonal apse to chancel with 4-stage tower and spire on south side, organ chamber to north and vestry at end of corridor wing projecting east. Gothic Revival style: Geometrical and plate tracery. Orientated NE/SW, ritual orientation used here. Nave: chamfered plinth; offset buttresses between bays; 2-light windows with cusping, plate tracery, head-carved hoodmould stops and blue-brick relieving arches. Porch to bay 2: red sandstone colonnettes to enriched moulded arch, head-carved hoodmould stops, plainer arch within, 2-light side windows; steep gable with copings and cross. Clerestorey: pilaster strips between 2-light windows with colonnettes; brick cogging; ashlar gutter. Buttresses flank west window of 6 lights with king mullion, rose and hoodmould; blue-brick patterning on steep gable, ashlar copings. Tower: chamfered plinth, pilaster buttresses ending in offsets above 3rd stage. Colonnettes to trefoiled south door under arch with nailhead and hoodmould with angel stops; gablet over. 2-light window to east side. 2nd stage has trefoiled 3-light windows in arcading with continuous hoodmoulds; lancets to 3rd stage. Ashlar offset below louvred, 3-light belfry openings having impost band and tracery under pointed arches with hoodmoulds. Octagonal spire springs from gables with low-set splays between; lucarnes and weathervane. Chancel: lower; apse has buttress and plain east window flanked by traceried 2-light windows; carved eaves to hipped roof with cross. Organ chamber with rose window and 2-flue stack on north gable. Vestry, further east than the apse, has pointed door and window of 2 rounded lights to south; brick stack on left.
INTERIOR: arcades have quatrefoil, sandstone piers and brick arches with ashlar hood-moulds; painted brickwork above. Composite roof of king-post and scissor-braced trusses. Alabaster font and arcaded, alabaster pulpit on sandstone plinth. Stalls at west end, the central 3 with crocketed canopies. Organ rebuilt from that purchased for St James' Palace by William IV in 1837, the makers Hill and Davison; used at the wedding of Queen Victoria in 1840 but disposed of in 1866 and brought to Barrow 1868. HJ Austin joined EG Paley in 1868 and the final scheme here is likely to show his influence. 'The best church in Barrow' (Pevsner); the brick arcading ahead of its time and probably inspired by GE Street.
(Buildings of England: Pevsner N: North Lancashire: London: 1969-: 33, 56).

placename:- Church of St James
district:- Barrow in Furness
listed building
coordinates:- SD19466994
date:- 2010
period:- 2010s

source:- Dove 2009

diocese:- Carlisle Diocese
locality:- Barrow in Furness
coordinates:- SD195700

Dove data number of bells: 8
weight of tenor: 15 cwt 3 qtr 0 lb (1764lbs)
pitch of tenor: F (705Hz)
scale:-
F, G, A, B flat, C, D, E, F
Complete octave; intervals TTSTTTS; F major.
Ringing currently not permitted
Cast by John Warner and Sons, 1877.
Dove 2009
Data courtesy of the Central Council of Church Bell Ringers

references Handley, Diana: 1983: Notes on Furness Branch Bells::: inscriptions and history

button   ring of bells, Barrow-in-Furness
button   ring of bells, Burton-in-Kendal
button   ring of bells, Whitehaven
button   sundial, Burton-in-Kendal
button   sundial, Hutton-in-the-Forest
button   sundial, Temple Sowerby
button   sundial, Temple Sowerby (2)
button   war memorial, Burton-in-Kendal

Old Cumbria Gazetteer - JandMN: 2013

button to lakes menu  Lakes Guides menu.

©  Martin and Jean Norgate: 2014
mailto button  email:- JandMN@norgate.freeserve.co.uk
button, online connection  Other projects

button, online connection  Geography Department, Portsmouth University