button to main menu   Old Cumbria Gazetteer
www.dove.cccbr.org.uk
placename:- St Stephen's Church
other name:- Kirkby Stephen Church
other name:- St John's Church ?
locality:- Kirkby Stephen
parish Kirkby Stephen parish, once in Westmorland
county:- Cumbria
church
coordinates:- NY77510882
10Km square:- NY70
References : 2005: Diocese of Carlisle, Directory 2004/5

1Km square NY7708

photograph

St Stephen's Church (?) -- Kirkby Stephen -- Kirkby Stephen -- Cumbria / -- 24.7.2005
photograph

St Stephen's Church (?) -- Kirkby Stephen -- Kirkby Stephen -- Cumbria / -- 3.8.2009

old map:- Nurse 1918

Map, The Diocese of Carlisle, Cumberland, Westmorland, and Lancashire North of the Sands, now Cumbria, scale about 4 miles to 1 inch, by Rev Euston J Nurse, published by Charles Thurnam and Sons, 11 English Street, Carlisle, Cumberland, 1918 and 2nd edn 1939.
thumbnail NUR1NY70, button to large image
KIRKBY STEPHEN
site name:- Appleby and Kirkby Stephen Rural Deanery
site name:- Archdeaconry of Carlisle
site name:- Diocese of Carlisle
date:- 1939
period:- 1930s

old map:- Jefferys 1770 (Wmd)

Map, The County of Westmoreland, scale about 1 inch to 1 mile, surveyed by J Ainslie and perhaps T Donald, engraved and published by Thomas Jefferys, London, 1770.
thumbnail J5NY70NE, button to large image
church
county:- Westmorland
date:- 1770
period:- 18th century, late; 1770s

database:- Listed Buildings 2010

Listed Buildings 2010

courtesy of English Heritage
CHURCH OF ST STEPHEN / / MARKET SQUARE / KIRKBY STEPHEN / EDEN / CUMBRIA / II[star] / 72978 / NY7751708821
courtesy of English Heritage
Church of England (probably dedicated to more than one saint originally). Rebuilt c1230 with later additions and alterations. Coursed, squared rubble and some ashlar; plinth (some parts moulded, some chamfered) and various types of buttressing. 7 bay nave has copper sheathed roofs with parapets. Early C16 3 storey west tower has west doorway with continuous chamfered jambs and pointed head in square frame incorporating coats of arms; 3-light window above. Each face has paired bell-openings of 2-lights under ogee gables. Embattled parapet with pinnacles. West wall to north aisle formed part of earlier, C12, building; north wall rebuilt 1871. North transept arm C13 with 2 partly original lancets and a C14 3-light window. Chapels to north and south, chancel and south transept arm all rebuilt 1847 (east end has steeply pitched graduated slate roof with low parapet, stone copings and apex cross). South aisle has four C15 windows with C19 tracery. South porch rebuilt 1871 but south door is early C15 with 2 continuous chamfered orders to jambs and pointed head; consecration cross to right-hand jamb. Internally, much of the original stonework has been reworked or replaced in the C19. Very tall tower arch. Both C13 nave arcades of drum piers on plinths survive (eastern bay narrower than rest) with moulded capitals carrying pointed arches of 2 chamfered orders; some painted decoration survives on south aisle face of the arches. C19 clerestory of 5 windows not aligned with bays. Very wide, low, pointed arch to east end of south aisle. Chancel incorporates C13 trefoil-headed piscina (with restored foliate decoration to bracket) and 3 seat C13 sedilia with gabled trefoiled heads. North chapel has late C16 altar tomb with effigies of 1st Lord Wharton and his 2 wives; children and coats of arms to sides and inscribed panel to end. South chapel has early C15 altar tomb with effigy of Knight (Sir Richard Musgrave, died 1409); C15 altar tomb to Sir Richard Musgrave (died 1464) in recess with foliate gable to south wall. Ornate pulpit constructed from various coloured marbles, c1871; probably a gift of the local Masonic Lodge. Loose fragments from earlier buildings on the site (displayed at west end of nave) include late C12 foliate and historiated capitals, fragments of Anglo-Danish crosses, and remains of a hogback gravestone. C18 sundial (with dated inscription) fitted externally on south side.

placename:- Church of St Stephen
district:- Eden
listed building
coordinates:- NY77510882
date:- 2010
period:- 2010s

incumbents:-
Ferentire, John 1223
Capella, Thomas 1292
Leycester, Thomas de 1304
Rillington, Henry de 1318
Botel, John de 1319
Bowes, John de 1336
Danby, John de 1362
Morland, Peter de 1376
Brudderford, John de 1386
Warcop, Thomas 1422
Vaux, Peter 1562
Wharton, Percival 1563
Swinbank, John 1568
Wetherell, Anthony 1620
Higginson, Francis 1649 (?)
Stopford, JoshuaHigginson, Francis 1663
Rawlet, John 1673
Shaw, Samuel 1681
Atkinson, John 1699
Atkinson, Carleton 1710
Rycroft, Henry 1734
Hartley, Alderson 1746
Fawcett, William 1755
Chaytor, Henry 1759
Cookson, Thomas 1778
Spooner, Thomas 1806
Williamson, Thomas Pym 1807
Holdsworth, William 1836
Segeantson, Edward 1837
King, Henry 1843
Simpson, James 1863
Feilden, Henry Arbuthnot 1886
Kirkham, Philip H 1910

source:- Dove 2009

diocese:- Carlisle Diocese
locality:- Kirkby Stephen
coordinates:- NY775088

photographs
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Stephen's Church (?) -- Kirkby Stephen -- Kirkby Stephen -- Cumbria / -- The 8 bells, hung this way and that way, in their frame. -- 3.8.2009
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Stephen's Church (?) -- Kirkby Stephen -- Kirkby Stephen -- Cumbria / -- Inscription on a bell:- -- '... WARNER & SONS' -- 3.8.2009

photographs
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Stephen's Church (?) -- Kirkby Stephen -- Kirkby Stephen -- Cumbria / -- A bell hung for ringing; bell wheel, bell rope, headstock, stay, etc. -- 3.8.2009
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Stephen's Church (?) -- Kirkby Stephen -- Kirkby Stephen -- Cumbria / -- 3.8.2009
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Stephen's Church (?) -- Kirkby Stephen -- Kirkby Stephen -- Cumbria / -- Clock and chiming mechanism, which is no longer attached to the bells? -- 3.8.2009
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Stephen's Church (?) -- Kirkby Stephen -- Kirkby Stephen -- Cumbria / -- Chiming mechanism. -- 3.8.2009
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Stephen's Church (?) -- Kirkby Stephen -- Kirkby Stephen -- Cumbria / -- Bell ropes and sallies in the ringing chamber. -- 3.8.2009
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Stephen's Church (?) -- Kirkby Stephen -- Kirkby Stephen -- Cumbria / -- Ten commandment for the bellringer -- 3.8.2009
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Stephen's Church (?) -- Kirkby Stephen -- Kirkby Stephen -- Cumbria / -- Notice:- -- 'WARNING TO RINGERS / Clock Hammers must be pulled off before bellringing' -- 3.8.2009
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Stephen's Church (?) -- Kirkby Stephen -- Kirkby Stephen -- Cumbria / -- Stair to the ringing chamber. -- 3.8.2009

Dove data number of bells: 8
weight of tenor: 15 cwt 3 qtr 4 lb (1768lbs)
pitch of tenor: F
scale:-
F, G, A, B flat, C, D, E, F
Complete octave; intervals TTSTTTS; F major.
Bells 1-6 and 8 cast by John Warner and Sons, 1877; 7 by Edward Seller, 1749.
Dove 2009
Data courtesy of the Central Council of Church Bell Ringers

photocopy Whitehead 1894:-
vol.13 p.194

image t1013194.jpg
vol.13 p.195

image t1013195.jpg
Whitehead, H: 1894 (?): Church Bells in Leath Ward, part III: TransCWAAS: vol.13: pp.194-217

photocopy Whitehead 1885:-
vol.8 p.521

image t1008521.jpg
Whitehead, H: 1885: Church Bells in Cumberland Ward, part I: TransCWAAS: vol.8: pp.505-531

hearsay The following inscriptions are given in a local guide book [1 to 8]:-
Attendite, popule, Ps. 78. Cast by J. Warner and Sons, London, 1877.
Benedicite, omnia opera. Cast by J. Warner and Sons, London, 1877.
Venite, exultemus domino, Ps. 95, Cast by J. Warner and Sons, London, Committee, Mary H. Simpson, Annie Thompson, Agnes A. Sayer, Jane Alderson, Eliz. Crossley, Eliz. Jackson, Thos. Mason, Esq., J.P., D.L., Treasurer, H. P. Mason, Esq., secretary.
Be it known unto all men that me see, Thomas Stafford of Penrith made me, 1631, Recast by J. Warner & Sons, London, 1877.
Insonet cet ad sacra cum nostris tintinationibus. Anno Domini, 1693. Recast by J. Warner and Sons, London, 1877.
Qui pius est veniat properans ut numen adoret. F.H. R.A. E.F. J.G. T.G. Anno Domini 1685. Recast by J. Warner and Sons, London, 1877.
Cum sono busta mori, cum pulpita vivere disce, 1749. E. Sette, Ebor Hartley, minister Chr. Islip, Thos. Ewbank, Will Parker, John Waistell, Ch. Wds.
Omnes gentes plaudite. Ps. 47 - O Sancte Stephane. Rev. Canon Simpson, LL.D. Vicar, L. Fairer, J. Sowerby, Wm Cleasby, M. Morland, Church wardens. Cast by J. Warner and Sones, London, 1877.

The bells were hung by Mr Mallaby, Masham, Yorkshire, 1878.
:: Kirkby Stephen Parish Church:: leaflet available in church

hearsay The Gentleman's Magazine reported an accident at the hanging of the old tenor bell, now number 7, in 1749.
The carpenter who new framed them (the bells) when this was put up, having made his bargain for the old frame, it happened that as he was throwing down the last piece, a nail which he not perceived caught hold of his clothes, and the piece of timber being heavy, drew him after it from a window fifteen yards high and dashed his brains out against some of the pieces he had thrown down before; an accident which was the more regretted as it happened on a Sauturday night, when the man had just completed his job, and was in haste to return with the money to his wife at Appleby.

hearsay Miss Thompson, later Mrs W Graham, gave a new clock to the church, made by Gowland, London, 1872. This was in memory of her father Matthew Thompson of Stobars Hall. The new clock had a chiming mechanism working on four bells. When the bells ahd increased to eight the quarters were chimed on bells 1, 3, 4 and 6; the hour on bell 8.

hearsay An old story is told that Whittington, thrice Lord Mayor of London, provided a ring of bells to Kirkby Stephen, though not by design. The bells were meant for Great Salkeld. Whittington sent them to Kirkby Stephen, from where the people of Great Salkeld were meany to fetch them, but never did. So the bells were appropriated for the church here.
At the time of Dick Whittington, 14-15th century, he died 1434, there was no tower to the church, an old tower had been taken down, the new tower not built.

hearsay The 8 o'clock curfew, the Taggy Bell or Tagg- Bell, was/is rung on the what was the tenor bell of the peal of four, now number 7.
It was reported as still being rung in 1922; and after the curfew the number of the day in the month was rung on a different bell.
Braithwaite 1922

old drawing:-
thumbnail PR0819, button to large image
Drawing, Anglian Cross head, St John or St Stephen's Church, Kirkby Stephen, Westmorland, by William Gershom Collingwood, 1899.
Sketch of the front and reverse of a cross head with carved decoration of a central boss connected by spines to small basses on the arms.
Drawn to illustrate Notes on the Early Sculptured Crosses, Shrines and Monuments in the Present Diocese of Carlisle, by Rev William Slater Calverley, published by T Wilson, Kendal 1899; opposite p.223.
initialled & dated at centre left:-
W.G.C. 1899
inscribed at centre bottom:-
Anglian cross-head, at Kirkby-Stephen
date:- 1899
period:- 19th century, late

old drawing:-
thumbnail PR0817, button to large image
Drawing, Semicylindrical Shaft at Kirkby Stephen Church, St John or St Stephen's Church, Kirkby Stephen, Westmorland, by William Gershom Collingwood, 1899.
Sketch of front and reverse of a fragment of the neck of a cross from which the head and lower part of the shaft have been broken. The former is decorated with a knotted plait, the latter with a plait on each side of which is a spiral scroll band.
Drawn to illustrate Notes on the Early Sculptured Crosses, Shrines and Monuments in the Present Diocese of Carlisle, by Rev William Slater Calverley, published by T Wilson, Kendal 1899; opposite p.218.
inscribed & initialled & dated at centre:-
Semi-cylindrical Shaft at Kirkby-Stephen Church W.G.C. 1899
date:- 1899
period:- 19th century, late

old drawing:-
thumbnail PR0807, button to large image
Drawing, Loki, the Devil Bound, Kirkby Stephen, at St John or St Stephen's Church, Kirkby Stephen, Westmorland, by William Gershom Collingwood, about 1899.
Sketch of stone with carved decoration of a horned and bearded man standing with his arms and legs manacled.
Drawn to illustrate Notes on the Early Sculptured Crosses, Shrines and Monuments in the Present Diocese of Carlisle, by Rev William Slater Calverley, published by T Wilson, Kendal 1899; not used, but see an engraving by M Petersen opposite p.217.
inscribed at bottom centre:-
Loki, the Devil Bound, Kirkby-Stephen
initialled at bottom right:-
W.G.C.
person:- : Loki
date:- 1899
period:- 19th century, late

old print:- Calverley 1899

Notes on the Early Sulptured Crosses, Shrines and Monuments in the Present Diocese of Carisle, by Rev William Slater Calverley, edited by W G Collingwood, published for the Cumberland and Westmorland Antiquarian and Archaeological Society, by Titus Wilson, Kendal, Westmorland, 1899.
In the church,
The Bound Devil:-
thumbnail CV1120, button to large image
Engraving by M Petersen.
thumbnail CV1121, button to large image
thumbnail CV1123, button to large image
thumbnail CV1124, button to large image
Sketches by W G Collingwood.
date:- 1899
period:- 19th century, late; 1890s

old print:- Calverley 1899

Notes on the Early Sulptured Crosses, Shrines and Monuments in the Present Diocese of Carisle, by Rev William Slater Calverley, edited by W G Collingwood, published for the Cumberland and Westmorland Antiquarian and Archaeological Society, by Titus Wilson, Kendal, Westmorland, 1899.
In the church,
thumbnail CV1122, button to large image
Sketch by W G Collingwood.
date:- 1899
period:- 19th century, late; 1890s

old print:- Pennant 1773 (edn 1801)

Book, A Tour from Downing to Alston Moor, 1773, by Thomas Pennant, published by Edward Harding, 98 Pall Mall, London, 1801.
thumbnail PEN611, button to large image
Print, two engravings, Ancient Sculptures at Ribchester, and Ancient Tomb Stone in Kirkby Stephen Church, published by Edward Harding, 98 Pall Mall, London, 1801.
Tipped in opposite p.93 of A Tour from Downing to Alston Moor, 1773, by Thomas Pennant.
printed at :-
ANCIENT SCULPTURES at RIBCHESTER / ANCIENT TOMB STONE in KIRKBY STEPHEN CHURCH / Pub June 1 1801 by Edw Harding 98 Pall Mall.
date:- 1773
period:- 18th century, late

notes Described in:-
Butler, Lawrence (ed): 2011: Church Notes of Sir Stephen Glynne for Cumbria, 1833-1872: CWAAS:: ISBN 978 1 873124 52 9
Extracted from the original notes made by Sir Stephen, now in Deiniol's Library, Hawarden, Flintshire, contact through Flintshire Record Office

photographs
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Stephen's Church (?) -- Kirkby Stephen -- Kirkby Stephen -- Cumbria / -- Organ. -- 3.8.2009
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Stephen's Church (?) -- Kirkby Stephen -- Kirkby Stephen -- Cumbria / -- Organ. -- 3.8.2009
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Stephen's Church (?) -- Kirkby Stephen -- Kirkby Stephen -- Cumbria / -- Organ pipes. -- 17.7.2009
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Stephen's Church (?) -- Kirkby Stephen -- Kirkby Stephen -- Cumbria / -- Effigy of a knight, Musgrave Family? -- 17.7.2009
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Stephen's Church (?) -- Kirkby Stephen -- Kirkby Stephen -- Cumbria / -- Effigy of a knight, wearing the Musgrave arms. -- 17.7.2009
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Stephen's Church (?) -- Kirkby Stephen -- Kirkby Stephen -- Cumbria / -- Coat of arms, Musgrave, over a monument. -- 3.8.2009
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Stephen's Church (?) -- Kirkby Stephen -- Kirkby Stephen -- Cumbria / -- 11th century Viking carved stone, Loki bound. -- 4.3.2006
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Stephen's Church (?) -- Kirkby Stephen -- Kirkby Stephen -- Cumbria / -- Bushel measure for use in the Lord of Gilsland's market ... -- 3.8.2009

photographs
Monument to Thomas, Lord Wharton, died 1568, and his two wives, Ellen and Anne.
Eleanor was daughter of Bryan Stapleton, Wygill, Yorkshire.
Anne was daughter of George, Earl of Shrewsbury.
The tomb is inscribed:-
They are actually interred at the church at Healaugh near Tadcaster.
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Stephen's Church (?) -- Kirkby Stephen -- Kirkby Stephen -- Cumbria / -- Wharton monument. -- 17.7.2009
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Stephen's Church (?) -- Kirkby Stephen -- Kirkby Stephen -- Cumbria / -- Wharton monument. -- 17.7.2009
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Stephen's Church (?) -- Kirkby Stephen -- Kirkby Stephen -- Cumbria / -- Wharton monument. -- 13.4.2012
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Stephen's Church (?) -- Kirkby Stephen -- Kirkby Stephen -- Cumbria / -- Wharton monument. -- 13.4.2012

photographs
On pillars at the back of the church there are shelves for bread to be given to the poor, 18th century.
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Stephen's Church (?) -- Kirkby Stephen -- Kirkby Stephen -- Cumbria / -- Bread shelves. -- 17.7.2009
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Stephen's Church (?) -- Kirkby Stephen -- Kirkby Stephen -- Cumbria / -- Bread shelves. -- 17.7.2009
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Stephen's Church (?) -- Kirkby Stephen -- Kirkby Stephen -- Cumbria / -- Bread shelves; the donor named:- -- 'This Bread Given / by desire of Jos. Nelson / Son of Thos. Nelson Tallow / Chandler in this Town / Who departed this life / June 16th. 1776. Aged 35 years.' -- 17.7.2009
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Stephen's Church (?) -- Kirkby Stephen -- Kirkby Stephen -- Cumbria / -- Bread shelves; the donor named:- -- 'The GIFT / of / Mr. ROBERT BARNETT / of LONDON / Gun-maker / Son of William Barnett / late of Kirkby-stephen / 1780' -- 3.8.2009

hearsay The dedication of the church is in doubt.
There was a saxon church, of which nothing is left but 3 crosses in the churchyard. A norman church was built about 1170, but lasted only half a century. The present church dates from 1220-30; the tower added 1506, rebuilding 1847, clerestory added 1871.

Old Cumbria Gazetteer - JandMN: 2013

button to lakes menu  Lakes Guides menu.

©  Martin and Jean Norgate: 2014
mailto button  email:- JandMN@norgate.freeserve.co.uk
button, online connection  Other projects

button, online connection  Geography Department, Portsmouth University