button to main menu   Old Cumbria Gazetteer
placename:- St John's Church
other name:- Blackford Church
locality:- Blackford
parish Westlinton parish, once in Cumberland
county:- Cumbria
church
coordinates:- NY39616246
10Km square:- NY36
References : 2005: Diocese of Carlisle, Directory 2004/5

1Km square NY3962

photograph

St John's Church -- Blackford -- Westlinton -- Cumbria / -- 17.3.2013
photograph

St John's Church -- Blackford -- Westlinton -- Cumbria / -- 17.3.2013

old map:- Nurse 1918

Map, The Diocese of Carlisle, Cumberland, Westmorland, and Lancashire North of the Sands, now Cumbria, scale about 4 miles to 1 inch, by Rev Euston J Nurse, published by Charles Thurnam and Sons, 11 English Street, Carlisle, Cumberland, 1918 and 2nd edn 1939.
thumbnail NUR1NY36, button to large image
BLACKFORD
site name:- Carlisle Rural Deanery
site name:- Archdeaconry of Carlisle
site name:- Diocese of Carlisle
date:- 1939
period:- 1930s

database:- Listed Buildings 2010

Listed Buildings 2010

courtesy of English Heritage
CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST / / / WESTLINTON / CARLISLE / CUMBRIA / II / 77976 / NY3962062480
courtesy of English Heritage
Church. 1870, by Borough of Carlisle. Hammer dressed red sandstone with ashlar quoins and dressings, graduated green slate roofs with cross finials, sandstone bell turret with green slate spire. 2 bay nave with west bell turret and gabled porch; single bay chancel with north vestry. South porch has pointed moulded arch with lattice oak doors. 2-3 light mullioned windows have triform heads and diamond leaded panes. Interior has early C20 pews; other furnishings of 1870. Not an ancient site.

placename:- Church of St John the Baptist
district:- Carlisle
listed building
coordinates:- NY39626248
date:- 2010
period:- 2010s

photographs
tiny photograph, 
button to large St John's Church -- Blackford -- Westlinton -- Cumbria / -- 17.3.2013
tiny photograph, 
button to large St John's Church -- Blackford -- Westlinton -- Cumbria / -- 2.4.2010

photocopy Whitehead 1883:-
vol.7 p.223

image t1007223.jpg
vol.7 p.224

image t1007224.jpg
vol.7 p.225

image t1007225.jpg
vol.7 p.226

image t1007226.jpg
Whitehead, H: 1883: Church Bells on the Border: TransCWAAS: vol.7: pp.221-236

photographs
tiny photograph, 
button to large St John's Church -- Blackford -- Westlinton -- Cumbria / -- Organ, Harrison and Harrison, Durham -- 17.3.2013
tiny photograph, 
button to large St John's Church -- Blackford -- Westlinton -- Cumbria / -- Organ, maker:- -- 'HARRISON & HARRISON / DURHAM' -- 17.3.2013
tiny photograph, 
button to large St John's Church -- Blackford -- Westlinton -- Cumbria / -- 17.3.2013

button   cross, Waberthwaite
button   ring of bells, Cleator Moor
button   ring of bells, Flookburgh
button   ring of bells, Hensingham
button   ring of bells, Skirwith
button   sundial, Corney (2)
button   sundial, Hutton Roof
button   sundial, Kirkby Stephen
button   sundial, Newton Arlosh
button   sundial, Newton Reigny
button   sundial, St John's in the Vale
button   sundial, Ulpha
button   sundial, Waberthwaite
button   war memorial, Bassenthwaite
button   war memorial, Blackford
button   war memorial, Grayrigg
button   war memorial, Houghton
button   war memorial, Hutton Roof
button   war memorial, Levens
button   war memorial, Melmerby
button   war memorial, Plumpton
button   war memorial, Skelsmergh
button   war memorial, St John's in the Vale

Old Cumbria Gazetteer - JandMN: 2013

button to lakes menu  Lakes Guides menu.

©  Martin and Jean Norgate: 2014
mailto button  email:- JandMN@norgate.freeserve.co.uk
button, online connection  Other projects

button, online connection  Geography Department, Portsmouth University