button to main menu   Old Cumbria Gazetteer
placename:- St John's Church
other name:- Houghton Church
other name:- St John's and St Peter's Church
locality:- Houghton
parish Stanwix Rural parish, once in Cumberland
county:- Cumbria
church
coordinates:- NY40835980
10Km square:- NY45
References : 2005: Diocese of Carlisle, Directory 2004/5

1Km square NY4059

photograph

St John's Church -- Houghton -- Stanwix Rural -- Cumbria / -- 26.10.2007
photograph

St John's Church -- Houghton -- Stanwix Rural -- Cumbria / -- 14.6.2013

old map:- Nurse 1918

Map, The Diocese of Carlisle, Cumberland, Westmorland, and Lancashire North of the Sands, now Cumbria, scale about 4 miles to 1 inch, by Rev Euston J Nurse, published by Charles Thurnam and Sons, 11 English Street, Carlisle, Cumberland, 1918 and 2nd edn 1939.
thumbnail NUR1NY36, button to large image
HOUGHTON WITH S. PETER KINGMOOR
site name:- Carlisle Rural Deanery
site name:- Archdeaconry of Carlisle
site name:- Diocese of Carlisle
date:- 1939
period:- 1930s

database:- Listed Buildings 2010

Listed Buildings 2010

courtesy of English Heritage
CHURCH OF ST JOHN / / / STANWIX RURAL / CARLISLE / CUMBRIA / II / 77663 / NY4480859586
courtesy of English Heritage
Church. 1854 by R.H. Billings, totally replacing medieval church on same site. Dressed red sandstone, graduated slate roof. 2 1/2 storey tower, 4 bay nave, single bay chancel. West tower has moulded plinth course continued round entire building: entrance has pointed arch with crocket open pediment and trefoil tympanum: string course, lancets with curvilinear tracery. Short spire has crocket edges and 4 lucarnes finished with central pinnacle. Projecting stair tower in south wall. Nave has pointed windows of 2 lights with curvilinear tracery heads and continuous drip moulding. Chancel has steeply pitched roof on north side to cover vestry. Interior has original pews with end doors; oak carved pulpit; carved oak lecturn; Norman font from the original church, with square base, rounded stem, square bowl with chamfered edges. Rear gallery on cantilever arches, with oak balustrade and handrail. Roof on semicircular arched braces. Windows have squared leaded lights with cut or moulded glass heads and internal segmental rear arches with lacy tracery. A number of white warble wall plaques. The Post Office Directory of Cumberland & Westmorland, 1858, p.152, suggests that the new church was partly built with stone from the Roman Wall.

placename:- Church of St John
district:- Carlisle
listed building
coordinates:- NY44805958
date:- 2010
period:- 2010s

database:- Listed Buildings 2010

Listed Buildings 2010

courtesy of English Heritage
CHURCH OF ST JOHN / / / STANWIX RURAL / CARLISLE / CUMBRIA / II / 77658 / NY4082659796
courtesy of English Heritage
Church. 1840-42, built as copy of Stanwix Church, Carlisle. Snecked ashlar yellow sandstone, from Chalk Quarry, Dalston, slate roof. 3 storeys east tower with 4 bay nave-chancel. Tower has pointed entrance arch with hood mould: similar windows in bell chamber, with Y-tracery and louvred slats: diagonal buttresses at angles with corner pinnacles and corbelled and castellated parapet. Clock above entrance is of 1901. Pointed arch windows and hood moulds to nave: diagonal buttresses at angles, with corner pinnacles and cross as gable pinnacle. Interior renovated 1901 by C.J. Ferguson: pine pews, carved oak pulpit and lectern, pitch-pine panelled ceiling. Red cement floor with chancel floor of black and white marble. Font of carved Caen stone, with red marble pillars of 1898. Windows of Moorish pattern, in plain leaded glass by Cleator & Sons, London, 1897. Not an ancient site.

placename:- Church of St John
district:- Carlisle
listed building
coordinates:- NY40825979
date:- 2010
period:- 2010s

photocopy Whitehead 1883:-
vol.7 p.228

image t1007228.jpg
Whitehead, H: 1883: Church Bells on the Border: TransCWAAS: vol.7: pp.221-236

photographs
tiny photograph, 
button to large St John's Church -- Houghton -- Stanwix Rural -- Cumbria / -- Organ. -- 14.6.2013
tiny photograph, 
button to large St John's Church -- Houghton -- Stanwix Rural -- Cumbria / -- Poor box. -- 14.6.2013
tiny photograph, 
button to large St John's Church -- Houghton -- Stanwix Rural -- Cumbria / -- Mothers Union banner -- 14.6.2013
tiny photograph, 
button to large St John's Church -- Houghton -- Stanwix Rural -- Cumbria / -- War memorial, 1953. -- 14.6.2013

button   cross, Waberthwaite
button   ring of bells, Cleator Moor
button   ring of bells, Flookburgh
button   ring of bells, Hensingham
button   ring of bells, Skirwith
button   sundial, Corney (2)
button   sundial, Hutton Roof
button   sundial, Kirkby Stephen
button   sundial, Newton Arlosh
button   sundial, Newton Reigny
button   sundial, St John's in the Vale
button   sundial, Ulpha
button   sundial, Waberthwaite
button   war memorial, Bassenthwaite
button   war memorial, Blackford
button   war memorial, Grayrigg
button   war memorial, Houghton
button   war memorial, Hutton Roof
button   war memorial, Levens
button   war memorial, Melmerby
button   war memorial, Plumpton
button   war memorial, Skelsmergh
button   war memorial, St John's in the Vale

Old Cumbria Gazetteer - JandMN: 2013

button to lakes menu  Lakes Guides menu.

©  Martin and Jean Norgate: 2014
mailto button  email:- JandMN@norgate.freeserve.co.uk
button, online connection  Other projects

button, online connection  Geography Department, Portsmouth University