button to main menu   Old Cumbria Gazetteer
placename:- St John's Church
other name:- Newton Arlosh Church
locality:- Newton Arlosh
parish Holme East Waver parish, once in Cumberland
county:- Cumbria
church; pele tower
coordinates:- NY19895522
10Km square:- NY15
References : 2005: Diocese of Carlisle, Directory 2004/5

1Km square NY1955

photograph

St John's Church -- Newton Arlosh -- Holme East Waver -- Cumbria / -- 26.7.2008
photograph

St John's Church -- Newton Arlosh -- Holme East Waver -- Cumbria / -- 26.7.2008

old map:- Nurse 1918

Map, The Diocese of Carlisle, Cumberland, Westmorland, and Lancashire North of the Sands, now Cumbria, scale about 4 miles to 1 inch, by Rev Euston J Nurse, published by Charles Thurnam and Sons, 11 English Street, Carlisle, Cumberland, 1918 and 2nd edn 1939.
thumbnail NUR1NY15, button to large image
NEWTON ARLOSH
site name:- Wigton Rural Deanery
site name:- Archdeaconry of Carlisle
site name:- Diocese of Carlisle
date:- 1939
period:- 1930s

database:- Listed Buildings 2010

Listed Buildings 2010

courtesy of English Heritage
CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST / / / HOLME EAST WAVER / ALLERDALE / CUMBRIA / I / 71973 / NY1986955243
courtesy of English Heritage
Parish Church. Licence to crenellate 11 April 1304, extended and repaired 1844 by Sarah Losh, vestry and restoration 1894. Large blocks of squared red sandstone mixed with cobbles. Extensions of red sandstone all under sandstone slate roofs, except for lead on tower. Square fortified west tower with extremely thick walls. Contemporary 2-bay fortified nave; 1844 north chancel at right-angles with apside vestry on east wall. Tower has original and restored arrow-slit windows. 2-light Tudor north window has C19 restoration. Upper part of tower is of different stonework and has been restored with battlemented parapet and turret. Nave has narrow hollow-chamfered pointed doorway and arrow- slit windows. 2-bay chancel has round-arched west doorway and lancet windows. Vestry has round-headed windows. Interior of tower has vaulted basement and spiral stone stair giving access to upper floor priest's chamber with fireplace and to second floor chamber. Nave: C13 octagonal font bowl with crocketed gables on fragmentary stem. Carved ram's head corbels by Sarah Losh in east wall flank former altar position. Carved wood lectern, in form of palm tree, by Sarah Losh. North wall has been almost entirely removed to give access to chancel. Chancel and nave extensively renovated and furnished in 1894. Although in ruins from the Dissolution to 1844, this is still one of the most complete fortified churches in the area. See Curwen, Castles & Towers of Cumberland & Westmorland, 1913 pp328-30; Transactions Cumberland & Westmorland Antiquarian & Archaeological Society, new series, xiii, ppll3-121.

placename:- Church of St John the Baptist
district:- Allerdale
listed building
coordinates:- NY19865524
date:- 2010
period:- 2010s

old print:-
thumbnail PR0558, button to large image
Print, uncoloured engraving, South West View of Newton Arlosh Church, ie St John's Church, Cumberland, ... published by T Cadell and W Davies, Strand, London, 1816.
printed at upper caption:-
South-West View of Newton-Arlosh Church.
printed at bottom right:-
Published by T. Cadell & W. Davies, Strand.
thumbnail PR0559, button to large image

placename:- Newton Arlosh Church
date:- 1816
period:- 19th century, early

incumbents:-
Borrodaile, Gawen 1538=1552
Robinson, William 1535
Stubb, George 1564 (?)
Adcock, William 1576
Symson, Henry 1577
Symson, Christopher 1578
Mandeville, Edward 1581
Mandeville, Robert 1607
Jefferson, Thomas 1617
Robson, Charles 1632
Head, William 1638
Hewit, John 1684
Holmes, John 1687
Ogle, John 1694
Jefferson, Thomas 1715
Boak, Thomas 1730
Kay, Mattew 1767
Watts, Clement 1783
Pattinson, John 1797
Thompson, John 1809
Jackson, John Starkey 1814
Collinson, Robert 1822
Simpson, Joseph 1842
Whiteman, Robert 1849
Rothery, William 1860 (about)
Shepherd, William Mutrie 1865
Rooke, William Thomas 1873
Salesbury, Norman 1890
Mitchell, John 1897

photographs
tiny photograph, 
button to large St John's Church -- Newton Arlosh -- Holme East Waver -- Cumbria / -- The peel tower. -- 26.7.2008

photographs
tiny photograph, 
button to large St John's Church -- Newton Arlosh -- Holme East Waver -- Cumbria / -- Watercolour painting, an erased date seems to be '0something? -- 26.7.2008

hearsay An engraving in Lyson's Britannia shows more than half the tower gone, 1816.
The roof fell in about 1560s, and the lead was taken to make salt pans.
They say the first one of a couple to come out of the narrow door after their wedding will be the boss in the family.

notes Fortified church, tower and nave, 14th century.
Perriam, D R & Robinson, J: 1998: Medieval Fortified Buildings of Cumbria: CWAAS:: ISBN 1 873124 23 6; plan and illustration

button   cross, Waberthwaite
button   ring of bells, Cleator Moor
button   ring of bells, Flookburgh
button   ring of bells, Hensingham
button   ring of bells, Skirwith
button   sundial, Corney (2)
button   sundial, Hutton Roof
button   sundial, Kirkby Stephen
button   sundial, Newton Arlosh
button   sundial, Newton Reigny
button   sundial, St John's in the Vale
button   sundial, Ulpha
button   sundial, Waberthwaite
button   war memorial, Bassenthwaite
button   war memorial, Blackford
button   war memorial, Grayrigg
button   war memorial, Houghton
button   war memorial, Hutton Roof
button   war memorial, Levens
button   war memorial, Melmerby
button   war memorial, Plumpton
button   war memorial, Skelsmergh
button   war memorial, St John's in the Vale

Old Cumbria Gazetteer - JandMN: 2013

button to lakes menu  Lakes Guides menu.

©  Martin and Jean Norgate: 2014
mailto button  email:- JandMN@norgate.freeserve.co.uk
button, online connection  Other projects

button, online connection  Geography Department, Portsmouth University