button to main menu   Old Cumbria Gazetteer
placename:- St John's Church
other name:- Workington Church
locality:- Workington
parish Workington borough, once in Cumberland
county:- Cumbria
church
coordinates:- NY00462849
10Km square:- NY02
References : 2005: Diocese of Carlisle, Directory 2004/5

1Km square NY0028

photograph

St John's Church -- Workington -- Workington -- Cumbria / -- 14.5.2007
photograph

St John's Church -- Workington -- Workington -- Cumbria / -- 14.5.2007

old map:- Nurse 1918

Map, The Diocese of Carlisle, Cumberland, Westmorland, and Lancashire North of the Sands, now Cumbria, scale about 4 miles to 1 inch, by Rev Euston J Nurse, published by Charles Thurnam and Sons, 11 English Street, Carlisle, Cumberland, 1918 and 2nd edn 1939.
thumbnail NUR1NX92, button to large image
ST. JOHN'S
site name:- Cockermouth and Workington Rural Deanery
site name:- Archdeaconry of Westmorland
site name:- Diocese of Carlisle
date:- 1939
period:- 1930s

database:- Listed Buildings 2010

Listed Buildings 2010

courtesy of English Heritage
CHURCH OF ST JOHN AND ADJOINING PARISH ROOM / / WASHINGTON STREET / WORKINGTON / ALLERDALE / CUMBRIA / II[star] / 72304 / NY0043228499
courtesy of English Heritage
Chapel of ease, now parish church and parish room. 1822-23 by Thomas Hardwick with 1846 and 1888 additions. Hammer-dressed calciferous sandstone, from Schoose and Hunday Quarries, with ashlar eaves, pilasters and plinth. Graduated green- slate roof with modillioned overhanging eaves and gable pediments. 5-bay nave/- chancel with west portico; 1846 west square ridge tower under bell cupola; east parish rooms and north vestry. Double panelled west doors with patterned over- light in stone architrave under plain frieze and console-bracketed cornice; flanking panelled doors in stone architraves under large round-headed niches, all within tetrastyle Tuscan portico. Tall round-headed side windows in stone architraves. Parish rooms adjoin east wall; doorway dated 1881 and 3-light windows. Interior galleries on 3 sides on slender fluted cast iron columns, the rear of the galleries with segmental recesses to light pews below. Flat plaster ceiling with geometricl ribs and coats-of-arms. Baldacchino and font cover by J N Comper, 1930. Tall C20 carved oak pulpit. Built in the style of St Paul's, Covent Garden at the cost of 10,000, by the architect who restored that church.
district:- Allerdale
listed building
coordinates:- NY00432849
date:- 2010
period:- 2010s

button   cross, Waberthwaite
button   ring of bells, Cleator Moor
button   ring of bells, Flookburgh
button   ring of bells, Hensingham
button   ring of bells, Skirwith
button   sundial, Corney (2)
button   sundial, Hutton Roof
button   sundial, Kirkby Stephen
button   sundial, Newton Arlosh
button   sundial, Newton Reigny
button   sundial, St John's in the Vale
button   sundial, Ulpha
button   sundial, Waberthwaite
button   war memorial, Bassenthwaite
button   war memorial, Blackford
button   war memorial, Grayrigg
button   war memorial, Houghton
button   war memorial, Hutton Roof
button   war memorial, Levens
button   war memorial, Melmerby
button   war memorial, Plumpton
button   war memorial, Skelsmergh
button   war memorial, St John's in the Vale

Old Cumbria Gazetteer - JandMN: 2013

button to lakes menu  Lakes Guides menu.

©  Martin and Jean Norgate: 2014
mailto button  email:- JandMN@norgate.freeserve.co.uk
button, online connection  Other projects

button, online connection  Geography Department, Portsmouth University