button to main menu   Old Cumbria Gazetteer
placename:- St Martin's Church
other name:- Martindale Church
locality:- Martindale
parish Martindale parish, once in Westmorland
county:- Cumbria
church
coordinates:- NY43421840
10Km square:- NY41

1Km square NY4318

photograph

St Martin's Church -- Martindale -- Martindale -- Cumbria / -- 6.7.2009
photograph

St Martin's Church -- Martindale -- Martindale -- Cumbria / -- 6.7.2009

descriptive text:- Ford 1839 (3rd edn 1843)

Description of Scenery in the Lake District, by William Ford, published by Charles Thurnham, London, et al, 1839; published 1839-52.
Page 145:-
[Martindale] ... a chapel with low roof and simple bell-gable, and a picturesque yew-tree, ...

placename:- Martindale
date:- 1839
period:- 19th century, early; 1830s

old text:- Clarke 1787

Guide book, A Survey of the Lakes of Cumberland, Westmorland, and Lancashire, by James Clarke, Penrith, Cumberland, and in London etc, 1787 and 1789; and Plans of the Lakes ... 1793.
Page 35:-
...
The chapel of Martindale is a perpetual curacy, under the vicarage of Barton; the donation of it is alternate, between J[ ] Richardson, Esq; of Penrith, and the Vicar of Barton: the former, (who is likewise proprietor of the tythes,) presenting to it twice, and the latter once: the ancient endowment was only 2l. 15s. 4d. per annum, a small house, and about four acres of land. Strange as it may seem, a Mr Richard Birker, who served this curacy sixty-seven years, amassed a considerable sum of money upon it, though, at his first coming, two shirts, and one suit of cloathes were his whole property. His penury and avarice were the sole causes of his wealth; for being the only man except one in the parish who could write, he transacted most of the law affairs of his parishioners, and was by them, on that account, nicknamed Sir Richard, or the Lawyer. Whenever he lent money, he deducted at the time of lending, two shillings in the pound for interest, and the term of the loan never exceeded a year: he charged for writing a receipt two-pence, and for a promissary note four-pence; and used such other acts of extortion as one would scarce believe to have been practised in so contracted a sphere. He likewise taught a school, and served as parish-clerk; and in both these offices he likewise shewed his wonderful turn for economy and gain; for his quarter-dues from his scholars being small, he had from the parents of each scholar a fortnight's board and lodging; and the Easter days, being usually paid in eggs, he, at the time of collecting, carried with him a board, in which was an hole which served him as a gage, and he positively refuse to accept any which would pass through. He married a woman of the name of Brown, with whom he got a fortune of L.60, and to whom, at his decease, he left the sum of L/1200; after which she was married to Theodorus Sisson, Esquire.
Upon the death of Mr Birker no one would undertake the cure, on account of the smallness of the stipend: those therefore of the parishioners who could read, performed the service by turns. We need not doubt that this occasioned some humorous blunders; one in particular was this: An honest farmer, whose yokefellow was not, it seems, the most pacific of her sex, was to hold forth one Sunday; after rummaging the book a long time to no purpose for the concluding clause, he called to one of his neighbours, whose wife was lately dead, to assist him, declaring, at the same time, that he was afraid he should never find the peace of God as long as he lived.
Things remained in this situation for some time; at length a little decrepid man, called Brownrigg, to whom Mr Birket (sic) had taught a little Latin and Greek, was by the parishioners appointed perpetual reader: for this they allowed him, (with the consent of the Donee,) the church perquisites, then worth about L.12 per annum. Brownrigg being a man of good character, and there being no clergyman within several miles to baptize their children, or bury their dead, the parishioners petitioned the Bishop to grant him deacon's orders; this was accordingly done, and he served the cure forty-eight years.
person:- clergyman : Birker, Richard; Richard the Lawyer
person:- : Brownrigg, Mr
date:- 1787
period:- 18th century, late; 1780s

old map:- Jefferys 1770 (Wmd)

Map, The County of Westmoreland, scale about 1 inch to 1 mile, surveyed by J Ainslie and perhaps T Donald, engraved and published by Thomas Jefferys, London, 1770.
thumbnail J5NY41NW, button to large image
Chapel
church
county:- Westmorland
date:- 1770
period:- 18th century, late; 1770s

old map:- Bowen and Kitchin 1760

New Map of the Counties of Cumberland and Westmoreland, scale about 4 miles to 1 inch, Emanuel Bowen and Thomas Kitchin, published by T Bowles, John Bowles and Son, Robert Sayer, and John Tinney, 1760; published 1760-87.
thumbnail BO18NY31, button to large image
Martendale Chapel
circle, tower

placename:- Martendale Chapel
date:- 1760
period:- 18th century, late; 1760s

old map:- Morden 1695 (Cmd)

Maps, Westmorland, scale about 2.5 miles to 1 inch, and Cumberland, scale about 3 miles to 1 inch, by Robert Morden, 1695.
image MD12NY41, button   goto source.
thumbnail MD12NY41, button to large image
Markendale Chap
Circle.

placename:- Markendale Chapel
county:- Westmorland
date:- 1695
period:- 17th century, late; 1690s

old map:- Jansson 1646

Map, Cumbria et Westmoria, or Cumberland and Westmorland, scale about 3.5 miles to 1 inch, by John Jansson, Amsterdam, Netherlands, 1646; published 1646-1724.
thumbnail JAN3NY41, button to large image
Markendale Chappell
Building and tower with cross.

placename:- Markendale Chappell
county:- Westmorland
date:- 1646
period:- 17th century, early; 1640s

old map:- Speed 1611 (Cmd)

Maps, The Countie Westmorland and Kendale the Cheif Towne, scale about 3.5 miles to 1 inch, and Cumberland and the Ancient Citie Carlile, scale about 4 miles to 1 inch, by John Speed, London, 1611; published 1611-1770.
thumbnail SP11NY41, button to large image
Markendale chap
circle, building, tower; Westmorland

placename:- Markendale Chapel
date:- 1611
period:- 17th century, early; 1610s

old map:- Speed 1611 (Wmd)

Maps, The Countie Westmorland and Kendale the Cheif Towne, scale about 3.5 miles to 1 inch, and Cumberland and the Ancient Citie Carlile, scale about 4 miles to 1 inch, by John Speed, London, 1611; published 1611-1770.
thumbnail SP14NY42, button to large image
Markendale Chappell
circle, building and tower

placename:- Markendale Chappell
date:- 1611
period:- 17th century, early; 1610s

old map:- Saxton 1579

image Sax9NY41, button   goto source.
thumbnail Sax9NY41, button to large image
Building, symbol for a hamlet, which may or may not have a nucleus.
Markendale chap:

placename:- Markendale Chapel
county:- Westmorelandia
hamlet
date:- 1576
period:- 16th century, late; 1570s

database:- Listed Buildings 2010

Listed Buildings 2010

courtesy of English Heritage
CHURCH OF ST MARTIN / / / MARTINDALE / EDEN / CUMBRIA / II[star] / 74532 / NY4343818401
courtesy of English Heritage
Church. Late C16 on medieval foundations, porch c1714, roof 1880s. Stone rubble with slate roof. Single-vessel nave, chancel and west lobby and vestries. Irregular fenestration to north and south elevations; 4-windows to each elevation have fixed chamfered wooden frames with transom and leaded glazing tied back to 2 intermediate bars, but window to north side of 2-lights; that to east end of 3-lights, to west end of 2-lights. West end has gabled porch with C19 door with closeable cusped ventilation slots. Gabled bell cote. North elevation has studded vestry door to west end and stone dated 1714 to window jamb. Interior has C19 king post trusses. C17 wainscotting with fielded panels and longitudinal pews, said to be adapted from box pews. C17 pulpit to west end has some decorative panels and inscription: "I & AD 1634" to applied panel. Lobby panelling also C17, with ovolo moulded members and cresting; C19 paired doors to church has cusped ventilation slots. Font to east end of church has broach stops to chamfers and small recess in top, possibly Roman altar or medieval holy water stoup, grooves to one face said to be from arrow sharpening. A good example of a Lakeland vernacular church.

placename:- Church of St Martin
district:- Eden
listed building
coordinates:- NY43431840
date:- 2010
period:- 2010s

database:- Listed Buildings 2010

Listed Buildings 2010

courtesy of English Heritage
BIRKET MONUMENT APPROXIMATELY 2 METRES SOUTH ST MARTINS CHURCH / / / MARTINDALE / EDEN / CUMBRIA / II / 74533 / NY4345018391
courtesy of English Heritage
Monument. Dated 1699. Stone rubble with ashlar top slab. Moulded edge to slab and inscriptions, difficult to read, recording Richard Birket, benefactor of the church and for 67 years its curate.
district:- Eden
listed building
coordinates:- NY43451839
date:- 2010
period:- 2010s

photographs
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Martin's Church -- Martindale -- Martindale -- Cumbria / -- The church bell. -- 6.7.2009

photographs
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Martin's Church -- Martindale -- Martindale -- Cumbria / -- Font; made from a roman altar, probably from a wayside shrine on High Street. -- 6.7.2009
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Martin's Church -- Martindale -- Martindale -- Cumbria / -- Altar table. -- 6.7.2009
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Martin's Church -- Martindale -- Martindale -- Cumbria / -- Altar table, inscription:- -- 'E B / A.D. 1674' -- 6.7.2009
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Martin's Church -- Martindale -- Martindale -- Cumbria / -- Pews. -- 20.10.2010
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Martin's Church -- Martindale -- Martindale -- Cumbria / -- Pews. -- 10.4.2013
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Martin's Church -- Martindale -- Martindale -- Cumbria / -- Pulpit. -- 20.10.2010
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Martin's Church -- Martindale -- Martindale -- Cumbria / -- Memorial, William Dawes, son of Edward and Anne Dawes of How Town, died 1812. -- 6.7.2009
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Martin's Church -- Martindale -- Martindale -- Cumbria / -- Coat of arms on the memorial to William Dawes, died 1812. -- 6.7.2009
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Martin's Church -- Martindale -- Martindale -- Cumbria / -- Tomb of Richard Birkett, died 1699, vicar here for 66 years. -- 20.10.2010
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Martin's Church -- Martindale -- Martindale -- Cumbria / -- Gate catch. -- 20.10.2010

photographs
The yew tree has been dated, it is about 1300 years old. Long bows made out of the yew wood were used at the Battle of Agincourt and at Flodden Field.
Richardson, Keith: 2011: Jack's Yak: River Greta Writer (Keswick, Cumbria):: ISBN 978 0 9559640 2 2
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Martin's Church -- Martindale -- Martindale -- Cumbria / -- 25.1.2006
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Martin's Church -- Martindale -- Martindale -- Cumbria / -- 10.4.2013
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Martin's Church -- Martindale -- Martindale -- Cumbria / -- 20.10.2010
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Martin's Church -- Martindale -- Martindale -- Cumbria / -- 20.10.2010
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Martin's Church -- Martindale -- Martindale -- Cumbria / -- 20.10.2010
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Martin's Church -- Martindale -- Martindale -- Cumbria / -- 20.10.2010

hearsay Created out of the parish of Barton in 1633, an older chapel stood here in teh 16th century, the present building erected at the end of that century. The floor was flagged, replacing a damp earth floor, 1714. Restored after the roof fell in during a storm, 6 January 1882, the day the new church of St Peter was consecrated.

button   ring of bells, Bowness-on-Windermere
button   ring of bells, Brampton
button   sundial, Bowness-on-Windermere
button   war memorial, Bowness-on-Windermere

Old Cumbria Gazetteer - JandMN: 2013

button to lakes menu  Lakes Guides menu.

©  Martin and Jean Norgate: 2014
mailto button  email:- JandMN@norgate.freeserve.co.uk
button, online connection  Other projects

button, online connection  Geography Department, Portsmouth University