button to main menu   Old Cumbria Gazetteer
www.dove.cccbr.org.uk
placename:- St Mary's Church
other name:- Broughton Church
locality:- Broughton in Furness
parish Broughton West parish, once in Lancashire
county:- Cumbria
church
coordinates:- SD20938737
10Km square:- SD28
References : 2005: Diocese of Carlisle, Directory 2004/5

1Km square SD2087

photograph

St Mary's Church -- Broughton in Furness -- Broughton West -- Cumbria / -- 5.8.2005
photograph

St Mary's Church -- Broughton in Furness -- Broughton West -- Cumbria / -- 25.8.2010

old map:- Nurse 1918

two churches drawn, only one identified.
Map, The Diocese of Carlisle, Cumberland, Westmorland, and Lancashire North of the Sands, now Cumbria, scale about 4 miles to 1 inch, by Rev Euston J Nurse, published by Charles Thurnam and Sons, 11 English Street, Carlisle, Cumberland, 1918 and 2nd edn 1939.
thumbnail NUR1SD28, button to large image
BROUGHTON-IN-FURNESS WITH DUNNERDALE
site name:- Ulverston Rural Deanery
site name:- Archdeaconry of Furness
site name:- Diocese of Carlisle
date:- 1939
period:- 1930s

old map:- Garnett 1850s-60s H

Map of the English Lakes, scale about 3.5 miles to 1 inch, published by John Garnett, Windermere, Westmorland, 1850s-60s.
thumbnail GAR2SD28, button to large image
cross, a church
date:- 1850=1869
period:- 19th century, late; 1850s; 1860s

database:- Listed Buildings 2010

Listed Buildings 2010

courtesy of English Heritage
CHURCH OF ST MARY MAGDALENE / / CHURCH STREET / BROUGHTON WEST / SOUTH LAKELAND / CUMBRIA / II / 75822 / SD2093287385
courtesy of English Heritage
Church. Medieval south aisle, formerly nave and chancel, with C12 south entrance. C16 and Cl9 alterations; single-vessel nave and chancel, 1874; south-west tower, 1900. C19 alterations and extensions by Paley and Austin. Stone rubble with ashlar dressings and bands; and slate roofs, sill courses and coped gables. Nave has 2 round-headed double-chamfered windows to west end; shallow weathered buttresses, 2 paired windows and single window to north elevation; 3-bay chancel has larger buttresses, 2 with half-round upper parts. 3 round-headed windows and rose window to chancel east end. South aisle has 3-light Perpendicular east window; south elevation has 4 round-headed windows and C16 eastern window of 3 pointed lights. Gabled south parch has open timber frame on stone base; inner opening is C12, of 2 orders with nookshafts and water leaf capitals. Tower has broad clasping buttresses and corbel table supporting coped parapet with east and west gablets. Round-headed windows and louvred bell openings. Interior has 5-bay arcade on round piers with plain and waterleaf capitals. Nave roof has coupled rafters and enriched kingpost trusses. Low wall to chancel; pulpit has blind tracery panels stalls have turned balusters and relief panels; open tracery panels to lectern. Sanctuary has wainscotting and reredos with relief panels and cresting. Aisle has restored piscina, goblet form font with moulded base and shaft; collar and tie-beam roof. Round-headed tower door with tympanum. C19 stained glass.

placename:- Church of St Mary Magdalene
district:- South Lakeland
listed building
coordinates:- SD20938738
date:- 2010
period:- 2010s

database:- Listed Buildings 2010

Listed Buildings 2010

courtesy of English Heritage
ATKINSON MONUMENT APPROXIMATELY 10.5 METRES TO SOUTH OF ST MARY'S CHURCH / / CHURCH STREET / BROUGHTON WEST / SOUTH LAKELAND / CUMBRIA / II / 75825 / SD2096987355
courtesy of English Heritage
Headstone. 1805. Ashlar. Triangular headed stone has fluted fan to head. Inscription records Jane, wife of John Atkinson and sister of William Ashburner Esqr of Bombay in the East Indies (died 1805) and her son Thomas (died 1775 aged 4). Later inscription to her husband (died 1821).
district:- South Lakeland
listed building
coordinates:- SD20968735
person:- : Atkinson Family
date:- 2010
period:- 2010s

database:- Listed Buildings 2010

Listed Buildings 2010

courtesy of English Heritage
GROUP OF 4 TOMBS APPROXIMATELY 14 METRES TO SOUTH OF ST MARY'S CHURCH / / CHURCH STREET / BROUGHTON WEST / SOUTH LAKELAND / CUMBRIA / II / 75824 / SD2094787359
courtesy of English Heritage
4 tombs immediately to south of sundial (q.v.). Late C18 and early C19. Ashlar. Chest tomb to Elizabeth Pritt (died 1765) and her husband Nicholas (died 1779) and their son Sawrey (died 1782) and his wife Mary (died l789). Chest tomb to east has rusticated pilaster strips and fielded panels. Records James, son of Sawrey and Mary Pritt, and his wife and children in tabular form, dates of death 1795 to 1844 (with later additions to 1891). 2 table tombs to south, each with 6 balusters and moulded edges, inscriptions illegible; that to south has relief cherub and crossed bones.
district:- South Lakeland
listed building -- gravestone
coordinates:- SD20948735
date:- 2010
period:- 2010s

incumbents:-
Roger 1197
Morton, Richard de 1300
Wakefield, Richard de 1313
Waynscarth, Henry 1350
Bretby, John de 1376
Waghen, Robert de 1377
Gilling, William de 1383
Adamson, John 1389
Burton, William de 1390
Keswyk, Robery 1428
Fuyston, John 1434
Langton, William 1446
Lese, John 1453
Thornton, Walter 1463
Gedney, William 1466
Ascogh, Robert 1497
Lucas, George 1506
Stavely, William 1517
Bossal, Robert 1522
Bolton, Christopher 1533
Dogeson, Richard 1579
Askew, Thomas 1606
Skelling, James 1623
Rigby, Thomas 1650
Inman, Thomas 1663
Turner, Anthony 1664
Wainhouse, George 1668
Taylor, Joseph 1696
Wright, John 1698
Walker, Isaac 1739
Cooperson, Timothy 1749
Gilpin, Jeremiah 1777
Pearson, William 1789
Robinson, John 1843
Malleson, Frederick Amadeus 1870
Cropper, James 1897
Monnington, Thomas Pateshall 1905

source:- Dove 2009

diocese:- Carlisle Diocese
locality:- Broughton in Furness
coordinates:- SD209874

photocopy Harper 1901:-
series 2 vol.2 p.295

image t2002295.jpg
series 2 vol.2 p.296

image t2002296.jpg
series 2 vol.2 p.297

image t2002297.jpg
series 2 vol.2 p.298

image t2002298.jpg
series 2 vol.2 plate opp p.298

image t2002e03.jpg
series 2 vol.2 plate opp p.299

image t2002e04.jpg
series 2 vol.2 p.299

image t2002299.jpg
series 2 vol.2 p.300

image t2002300.jpg
series 2 vol.2 p.301

image t2002301.jpg
Gaythorpe, Harper: 1901: Church Bells in the Archdeaconry of Furness; Colton, Kirkby Ireleth, Broughton, Woodland, and Seathwaite: TransCWAAS: series 2 vol.2: pp.282-306

Dove data number of bells: 12
weight of tenor: 12 cwt 1 qtr 2 lb (1374lbs)
pitch of tenor: F sharp (760Hz)
scale:-
F sharp, G sharp, A sharp, B, C sharp, D sharp, E sharp, F sharp, G sharp, A sharp, B, C sharp
Octave plus 4 notes; intervals TTSTTTSTTST; F sharp major.
Bells 1-3 cast by John Taylor Bellfounders 1994, 1993 and 1996; 4 by John Taylor and Co, 1980; 5-11 by John Taylor and Co, 1900; 12 by John Taylor and Co, 1973. There is an unused bell, cast about 1399.
Dove 2009
Data courtesy of the Central Council of Church Bell Ringers

references Handley, Diana: 1983: Notes on Furness Branch Bells::: inscriptions and history

notes There were once just 2 bells; one of these, cast in the 15th century, is preserved in the body of the church; inscribed:-
[John is my name]

imageBTJ92.jpg
-- Old bell, inscribed:- -- [JOHANNES EST NOMEN MEUM] -- late 14th early 15th century. It was used up to 1869. It then went to Ecclerigg but was returned here 1948. -- 25.8.2010
: 2002 (?): Welcome to St Mary Magdalene Broughton Parish Church::: leaflet available in church

photographs
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Mary's Church -- Broughton in Furness -- Broughton West -- Cumbria / -- Stained glass; repeat of a design by Edward Burne-Jones for an Oxford college, made by William Morris and Co; re-erected here with a new border by Shrigley Hunt, 1948, as a memorial to John Postlethwaite died 1886. -- 25.8.2010

photographs
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Mary's Church -- Broughton in Furness -- Broughton West -- Cumbria / -- View of the church. -- 24.8.2012
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Mary's Church -- Broughton in Furness -- Broughton West -- Cumbria / -- Stone circle. -- 24.8.2012

notes Described in:-
Butler, Lawrence (ed): 2011: Church Notes of Sir Stephen Glynne for Cumbria, 1833-1872: CWAAS:: ISBN 978 1 873124 52 9
Extracted from the original notes made by Sir Stephen, now in Deiniol's Library, Hawarden, Flintshire, contact through Flintshire Record Office

photographs
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Mary's Church -- Broughton in Furness -- Broughton West -- Cumbria / -- Organ. -- 25.8.2010
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Mary's Church -- Broughton in Furness -- Broughton West -- Cumbria / -- Parish chest, 1735. -- 25.8.2010
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Mary's Church -- Broughton in Furness -- Broughton West -- Cumbria / -- Parish chest, 1735. -- 25.8.2010
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Mary's Church -- Broughton in Furness -- Broughton West -- Cumbria / -- Font, 15th century. -- 24.11.2011
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Mary's Church -- Broughton in Furness -- Broughton West -- Cumbria / -- Clock dial, and motto:- -- 'WATCH FOR YE KNOW NOT THE HOUR' -- 25.8.2010
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Mary's Church -- Broughton in Furness -- Broughton West -- Cumbria / -- Grave stone:- -- 'In Memory of / John Atkinson / Slate Merchant of / Broughton who departed / this Life the 7th July 1703 / Proprietor of the Slate / Quarries at Seathwaite, / Dunerdale, Ulpha, / Kirkby and / Tilberthwaite.' -- 25.8.2010
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Mary's Church -- Broughton in Furness -- Broughton West -- Cumbria / -- Norman door arch. -- 24.8.2012
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Mary's Church -- Broughton in Furness -- Broughton West -- Cumbria / -- Scratch marks on the door pillar are said to be the marks of sharpening arrows in medieval times. (We've heard that romantic tale before.) -- 5.8.2005
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Mary's Church -- Broughton in Furness -- Broughton West -- Cumbria / -- Notice, about repairs 1759? -- 24.8.2012
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Mary's Church -- Broughton in Furness -- Broughton West -- Cumbria / -- Notice, about repairs 1759? -- 24.8.2012

hearsay (etc) The doorway dates from the norman period; the church was extended in 16th and 18th centuries; and largely rebuilt in the 19th century.
Expenditure on the parish chest, L1 6s 9d, is in the church accounts, 1738.
:: Welcome to St Mary Magdalene::: leaflet at church

button   bench mark, NY50070290
button   Gosforth Cross, Gosforth
button   ring of bells, Ambleside
button   ring of bells, Broughton in Furness
button   ring of bells, Crosthwaite
button   ring of bells, Dalton-in-Furness
button   ring of bells, Kirkby Lonsdale
button   ring of bells, Wigton
button   summer house, Kirkby Lonsdale (2)
button   sundial, Broughton in Furness
button   sundial, Cumwhitton
button   sundial, Dalton-in-Furness
button   sundial, Gilcrux
button   sundial, Hayton
button   sundial, High Hesket
button   sundial, Kirkby Lonsdale
button   sundial, Longsleddale
button   sundial, Penny Bridge
button   sundial, Rydal
button   sundial, Staveley-in-Cartmel
button   sundial, Whicham
button   sundial, Whitbeck
button   sundial, Wreay
button   war memorial, Ambleside
button   war memorial, Broughton in Furness
button   war memorial, Ennerdale
button   war memorial, Hayton
button   war memorial, Hethersgill
button   war memorial, High Hesket
button   war memorial, Longsleddale
button   war memorial, Rockcliffe
button   war memorial, Whicham

Old Cumbria Gazetteer - JandMN: 2013

button to lakes menu  Lakes Guides menu.

©  Martin and Jean Norgate: 2014
mailto button  email:- JandMN@norgate.freeserve.co.uk
button, online connection  Other projects

button, online connection  Geography Department, Portsmouth University