button to main menu   Old Cumbria Gazetteer
www.dove.cccbr.org.uk
placename:- St Mary's Church
other name:- Crosthwaite Church
locality:- Crosthwaite
parish Crosthwaite and Lyth parish, once in Westmorland
county:- Cumbria
church
coordinates:- SD44619114
10Km square:- SD49
References : 2005: Diocese of Carlisle, Directory 2004/5

1Km square SD4491

photograph

St Mary's Church -- Crosthwaite -- Crosthwaite and Lyth -- Cumbria / -- 9.11.2005
photograph

St Mary's Church -- Crosthwaite -- Crosthwaite and Lyth -- Cumbria / -- 9.11.2005

old map:- Nurse 1918

Map, The Diocese of Carlisle, Cumberland, Westmorland, and Lancashire North of the Sands, now Cumbria, scale about 4 miles to 1 inch, by Rev Euston J Nurse, published by Charles Thurnam and Sons, 11 English Street, Carlisle, Cumberland, 1918 and 2nd edn 1939.
thumbnail NUR1SD49, button to large image
CROSTHWAITE ST. MARY
site name:- Kendal Rural Deanery
site name:- Archdeaconry of Westmorland
site name:- Diocese of Carlisle
date:- 1939
period:- 1930s

old map:- Garnett 1850s-60s H

Map of the English Lakes, scale about 3.5 miles to 1 inch, published by John Garnett, Windermere, Westmorland, 1850s-60s.
thumbnail GAR2SD49, button to large image
cross, a church
date:- 1850=1869
period:- 19th century, late; 1850s; 1860s

old map:- Jefferys 1770 (Wmd)

Map, The County of Westmoreland, scale about 1 inch to 1 mile, surveyed by J Ainslie and perhaps T Donald, engraved and published by Thomas Jefferys, London, 1770.
thumbnail J5SD49SW, button to large image
church
county:- Westmorland
date:- 1770
period:- 18th century, late; 1770s

photographs
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Mary's Church -- Crosthwaite -- Crosthwaite and Lyth -- Cumbria / -- Stained glass, memorial to Major Lawrence Steele Hoggarth, d.1962. -- 16.3.2012
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Mary's Church -- Crosthwaite -- Crosthwaite and Lyth -- Cumbria / -- Stained glass window, south wall; William of Wykeham on the left, and Henry VI on the right, adoring the Virgin Mary and Child, design by Harry Stammers, about 1955, memorial to Anthony Marchbank Carrick, d.1949.. -- 16.3.2012
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Mary's Church -- Crosthwaite -- Crosthwaite and Lyth -- Cumbria / -- Stained glass 1955, detail. -- 9.11.2005
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Mary's Church -- Crosthwaite -- Crosthwaite and Lyth -- Cumbria / -- Stained glass 1955, detail. -- 9.11.2005

database:- Listed Buildings 2010

Listed Buildings 2010

courtesy of English Heritage
CHURCH OF ST MARY / / / CROSTHWAITE AND LYTH / SOUTH LAKELAND / CUMBRIA / II / 77092 / SD4460791142
courtesy of English Heritage
Church. 1878. Rock-faced limestone with sandstone ashlar dressings and slate roof. Single-vessel nave and chancel, canted apse, south transept and west tower. 4-bay nave and chancel has gabled buttresses, cornice, plain coped parapet and gable. 3-light pointed windows have double-cusped pointed lights and hoods. Entrance to north-west in shallow gabled porch. South-east transept has 3-light window with Perpendicular tracery; stack to east angle. Apse has coved cornice with Tudor flower ornament, 3-light window and single lights to angles have Perpendicular tracery, hoodmoulds with head stops and sill course. Gable cross-traceried light to west end, north of tower. 3-stage tower has weathered set back buttresses and cill, 2-light traceried west window, square traceried window to 2nd stage, and 2-light traceried and louvred bell openings, all with hoods and head stops. Top cornice with gargoyles and coped parapet with blind quatrefoils with escutcheons. Lead-clad pyramidal roof with wind vane. Interior has deep arch braced roof trusses with king pendants with longitudinal and lateral arch braces, hollow chamfered braces and purlins. Chancel has trusses with collars with brattishing, 2 trusses have hammer beams carved as angels flanking truss with pendants to collar, which continues as ridge piece to transept, rich mouldings to braces and purlins. Tower arch of 2 orders, hood with headstops, timber screen with stained glass to traceried openings. Octagonal font with carved panels and capital to shaft. Niche in west wall has bust of W. Pearson (a friend of Wordsworth) died 1856. Monument to Dickinson family, 1803 by Webster of Kendal. Organ in transept. Octagonal timber pulpit on stone base has blind tracery. Open tracery to choir stalls. Apse has panelled east wall painted with symbols of Passion, angels, the Blessed Virgin and St Peter, and scenes from the Passion. Brass altar rail on enriched supports. C19 stained glass to east and west windows, late C20 glass to 2 south windows.

placename:- Church of St Mary
district:- South Lakeland
listed building
coordinates:- SD44609114
date:- 2010
period:- 2010s

source:- Dove 2009

diocese:- Carlisle Diocese
locality:- Crosthwaite
coordinates:- SD446911

photographs
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Mary's Church -- Crosthwaite -- Crosthwaite and Lyth -- Cumbria / -- Peal board -- '... A Peal of Plain Bob (720 changes) was rung in this Tower on Sunday March 13th. 1910. being the first peal accomplished by local Ringers ...' -- 9.4.2010

Dove data number of bells: 6
weight of tenor: 9 cwt 3 qtr 21 lb (1113lbs)
pitch of tenor: G (788Hz)
scale:-
G, A, B, C, D, E
First 6 notes; intervals TTSTT; G major.
bells cast by John Warner and Sons, 1885.
Dove 2009
Data courtesy of the Central Council of Church Bell Ringers

references Handley, Diana: 1983: Notes on Furness Branch Bells::: inscriptions and history

notes A tower was added to the church in 1626 at the cost of William Gilpin, Windyhowe, and gave 3 bells.
Bell 1 inscribed:-
[Jesus be our speed.]
Bell 2 inscribed:-
[Soli Deo Gloria.]
Bell 3 inscribed:-
[A young man grave in Godliness William Gilpin by name gave ~50 to make these sounds to God's eternal fame.]
A new tower was built, 1885, and:-
... a peal of six bells and the necessary machinery for chiming same ...
In 1773 the church at Kendal sold or gave 3 of their old bells to this church - one bell cast late 15th or early 16th century; two bells cast by Christopher Hodson, London, 1695. The metal of these bells was probably used in the new 6 cast by John Warner and Sons, 1885. The bell frame was wood with plain bearings; the ring was tuned and rehung with roller bearings by John Taylor and Co, Loughborough, 1982.
Windsor, E P L: 1997: St Mary's Church Crosthwaite::: leaflet available in church

photographs
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Mary's Church -- Crosthwaite -- Crosthwaite and Lyth -- Cumbria / -- 9.11.2005
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Mary's Church -- Crosthwaite -- Crosthwaite and Lyth -- Cumbria / -- Organ built by Wilkinson, Kendal, 1865. -- 9.11.2005
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Mary's Church -- Crosthwaite -- Crosthwaite and Lyth -- Cumbria / -- Organ built by Wilkinson, Kendal, 1865. -- 9.11.2005
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Mary's Church -- Crosthwaite -- Crosthwaite and Lyth -- Cumbria / -- Mothers Union banner. -- 9.11.2005

An early church here was built 1504, tower and chancel added 1626; rebuilt 1817. The parish became separate in 1869, and a new church built 1878, the old tower rebuilt 1885.
Windsor, E Peter L: 1997 (approx): St Mary's Church Crosthwaite

button   bench mark, NY50070290
button   Gosforth Cross, Gosforth
button   ring of bells, Ambleside
button   ring of bells, Broughton in Furness
button   ring of bells, Crosthwaite
button   ring of bells, Dalton-in-Furness
button   ring of bells, Kirkby Lonsdale
button   ring of bells, Wigton
button   summer house, Kirkby Lonsdale (2)
button   sundial, Broughton in Furness
button   sundial, Cumwhitton
button   sundial, Dalton-in-Furness
button   sundial, Gilcrux
button   sundial, Hayton
button   sundial, High Hesket
button   sundial, Kirkby Lonsdale
button   sundial, Longsleddale
button   sundial, Penny Bridge
button   sundial, Rydal
button   sundial, Staveley-in-Cartmel
button   sundial, Whicham
button   sundial, Whitbeck
button   sundial, Wreay
button   war memorial, Ambleside
button   war memorial, Broughton in Furness
button   war memorial, Ennerdale
button   war memorial, Hayton
button   war memorial, Hethersgill
button   war memorial, High Hesket
button   war memorial, Longsleddale
button   war memorial, Rockcliffe
button   war memorial, Whicham

Old Cumbria Gazetteer - JandMN: 2013

button to lakes menu  Lakes Guides menu.

©  Martin and Jean Norgate: 2014
mailto button  email:- JandMN@norgate.freeserve.co.uk
button, online connection  Other projects

button, online connection  Geography Department, Portsmouth University