button to main menu   Old Cumbria Gazetteer
www.dove.cccbr.org.uk
placename:- St Mary's Church
other name:- Dalton-in-Furness Church
locality:- Dalton-in-Furness
parish Dalton Town with Newton parish, once in Lancashire
county:- Cumbria
church
coordinates:- SD22597390
10Km square:- SD27
References : 2005: Diocese of Carlisle, Directory 2004/5

1Km square SD2273

photograph

St Mary's Church -- Dalton-in-Furness -- Dalton Town with Newton -- Cumbria / -- 18.6.2011
photograph

St Mary's Church -- Dalton-in-Furness -- Dalton Town with Newton -- Cumbria / -- 18.6.2011

old map:- Nurse 1918

Map, The Diocese of Carlisle, Cumberland, Westmorland, and Lancashire North of the Sands, now Cumbria, scale about 4 miles to 1 inch, by Rev Euston J Nurse, published by Charles Thurnam and Sons, 11 English Street, Carlisle, Cumberland, 1918 and 2nd edn 1939.
thumbnail NUR1SD27, button to large image
DALTON
site name:- Dalton Rural Deanery
site name:- Archdeaconry of Furness
site name:- Diocese of Carlisle
date:- 1939
period:- 1930s

descriptive text:- Ford 1839 (3rd edn 1843)

Description of Scenery in the Lake District, by William Ford, published by Charles Thurnham, London, et al, 1839; published 1839-52.
Page 6:-
... [Dalton]
... The church, dedicated to our Lady, has since 1835 been nearly rebuilt. ...
date:- 1839
period:- 19th century, early; 1830s

old print:- Jopling 1843

Book, Sketch of Furness and Cartmel, by Charles M Jopling, published by Whittaker and Co, Ave Maria Lane, London and by Stephen Soulby, Ulverston, Cumberland, 1843.
thumbnail JP1E07, button to large image
Print, font at St Mary's Church, Dalton-in-Furness, Lancashire, by Charles M Jopling, published by Whittaker and Co, Ave Maria Lane, London and by Stephen Soulby, Ulverston, Cumberland, 1843.
On p.32 of a Sketch of Furness and Cartmel, by Charles M Jopling.
date:- 1843
period:- 19th century, early

database:- Listed Buildings 2010

Listed Buildings 2010

courtesy of English Heritage
CHURCH OF ST MARY / / CHURCH STREET / DALTON TOWN WITH NEWTON / BARROW IN FURNESS / CUMBRIA / II[star] / 388429 / SD2258073886
courtesy of English Heritage
Church on site of earlier church. 1882-5. By Paley and Austin. Snecked red sandstone with ashlar dressings, graduated green slate roof. 6-bay nave with separately-roofed aisles; 3-stage tower over west end of nave, porches to north and south; 2-bay chancel with north vestry and south chapel. Gothic Revival style with Decorated tracery. Chamfered plinth; iron gutter brackets; chequerwork to parapets, over the porches and over east and west windows; roll-moulded copings to the gables and parapets. South aisle: offset buttresses to east end and between 2 pairs of 4-light windows having differing tracery, pointed arches and hoodmoulds. South porch (now opening into church centre of 1980) is hexagonal and vaulted: buttresses at each angle; moulded inner doorway with ballflowers; parapet. North aisle is longer having an extra bay to east with organ chamber lit by lozenge windows; adjacent 3-light aisle window (reused from earlier church) has taller, yellow sandstone surround and hoodmould with head-carved stops. Stack to east gable of aisle. North porch is 3-sided with enriched arch, buttresses and ashlar roof. Nave west window, in base of tower, is of 3-lights with stepped transom; chequer panel and traceried, square window above. Tower: setback buttresses flank louvred, 3-light belfry openings with pointed arches and hoodmoulds set within flushwork panels; string course beneath embattled parapet; octagonal vice to south-west corner rises higher. Chancel is under same roofline as nave: offset buttresses flank 6-light east window having 2 King mullions linked by transom, ogee-headed lights, cusped hexafoil and hoodmould. Gable has slit and apex cross. South chapel: small, semi-octagonal projection between 2 pairs of 2-light windows (reused from earlier church and of yellow sandstone); 2-light window to east; parapet to lean-to roof; square, quatrefoiled windows to the chancel. North vestry: ogee-headed door under round arch; traceried cross-window; 2-light east window.
INTERIOR: western bay of nave, beneath tower, has arches to 3 sides springing from polygonal-based piers; half arches to the aisles. 5-bay arcades with octagonal piers, moulded capitals, double-chamfered arches and linked hoodmoulds. Broad, moulded chancel arch against which are a flying buttress across east end of north aisle and a pointed arch to the organ chamber. 2 arches into south chapel. Sedilia; carved reredos with alabaster insets. Nave and chancel have a barrel ceiling with bow-string trusses; those to the chancel with tracery and ogee-headed openings. C14 font beneath tower with crozier on shield and 7 pairs of shields on the other sides. c1885 semi-octagonal wooden pulpit on base corbelled from chancel-arch pier (gift of Edward Wadham of Millwood). Stained glass: C15 fragments in north porch. Mid-late C19 glass includes: north-aisle window, the gift of Henry Schneider in memory of his wife Augusta (d.1862); east window given by the Duke of Devonshire in memory of his son Lord Frederick Cavendish; 2 windows in south aisle by Shrigley and Hunt of Lancaster; Baldwin memorial windows in south chapel, c1870. Monuments: various C19 wall monuments at west end of aisles. In south chapel are several to the Baldwin and Atkinson families: to Eliz. Baldwin d.1848 by W Audby of York; to Wm Atkinson d.1821 by Webster of Kendal. Paley and Austin built this, 'one of their most spectacular churches' (Pevsner), on the impressive site of the former parish church, cleared away in 1883. The cost of "11,553 defrayed by the Duke of Devonshire, the Duke of Buccleuch and others. The new church re-established the importance of Dalton following the formation of the Borough of Barrow in Furness with its many new places of worship. [bullet] Dent E: The Parish Church: Dalton in Furness, A History: 1985- [bullet] Buildings of England: Pevsner N: North Lancashire: London: 1969-: 111-112 [bullet] Walton J E: Dalton in Furness in Old Picture Postcards: Netherlands: 1983-: 36-39

placename:- Church of St Mary
district:- Barrow in Furness
listed building
coordinates:- SD22587388
date:- 2010
period:- 2010s

database:- Listed Buildings 2010

Listed Buildings 2010

courtesy of English Heritage
GRAVESTONE TO GEORGE ROMNEY APPROXIMATELY 12 METRES SOUTH OF CHURCH OF ST MARY / / CHURCH STREET / DALTON TOWN WITH NEWTON / BARROW IN FURNESS / CUMBRIA / II / 388430 / SD2259773874
courtesy of English Heritage
Graveslab on plinth. 1802, restored 1895 by Miles of Ulverston (Ayre). Slate slab on limestone plinth. Slab bears short Latin inscription to George Romney died 15.11.1802. Moulded plinth reads 'THIS MEMORIAL WAS RESTORED BY JOHN ORDE ROMNEY OF WHITESTOCK HALL IN THIS COUNTY IN THE YEAR OF OUR LORD 1895'. George Romney was born nearby at Beckside on 15.12.1734 and became 3rd of the fashionable portrait painters in the time of Reynolds and Gainsborough. (Walton J E: Dalton in Furness in Old Picture Postcards: Netherlands: 1983-: PL 42; Waterhouse E: Dictionary of British C18 Painters in Oils and Crayons: 1981-: 317-318; Rev Canon Ayre: North Lonsdale Magazine: Ulverston: 1896-: 59).
district:- Barrow in Furness
listed building -- gravestone
coordinates:- SD22597387
person:- : Romney, George
date:- 2010
period:- 2010s

photographs
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Mary's Church -- Dalton-in-Furness -- Dalton Town with Newton -- Cumbria / -- 18.6.2011

incumbents:-
Gilbert of Dalton 1181=1185
Norhampton, William de 1198
Cockerham, William 1331 (before)
Spoffort, Richard 1423 (before)
Hartington, Robert 1473 (before)
Pele, Roger & Pyle, Roger (?) 1547 (before)
Wright, Roland
Leis, James 1558
Gardiner, Richard
Bowett, William 1617
Tomlinson, Richard 1631
Whitehead, Thomas 1662
Turner, Anthony 1663
Lodge, William
Walker, John 1756
Cowperthwaite, Christopher 1772
Kirkbank, Joseph 1823
Morgan, James Morrison 1849
Byard, Frank 1898
Leonard, John G 1895

source:- Dove 2009

diocese:- Carlisle Diocese
locality:- Dalton in Furness
coordinates:- SD226739

Dove data number of bells: 10
weight of tenor: 21 cwt 2 qtr 25 lb (2433lbs)
pitch of tenor: E flat (604Hz)
scale:-
E flat, F, G, A flat, B flat, C, D, E flat, F, G
Octave plus 2 notes; intervals TTSTTTSTT; E flat major.
Bells cast by John Taylor and Co, 1927.
Dove 2009
Data courtesy of the Central Council of Church Bell Ringers

photographs
courtesy of the tower captain
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Mary's Church -- Dalton-in-Furness -- Dalton Town with Newton -- Cumbria / -- Ringing chamber. -- 18.6.2011
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Mary's Church -- Dalton-in-Furness -- Dalton Town with Newton -- Cumbria / -- 10 bells. -- 18.6.2011

photographs
courtesy of the tower captain
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Mary's Church -- Dalton-in-Furness -- Dalton Town with Newton -- Cumbria / -- Place mats for the ringers. -- 18.6.2011
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Mary's Church -- Dalton-in-Furness -- Dalton Town with Newton -- Cumbria / -- Memorial to past bellringers. -- 18.6.2011
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Mary's Church -- Dalton-in-Furness -- Dalton Town with Newton -- Cumbria / -- Certificate, 1st place in a striking competition, 1999. -- 18.6.2011
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Mary's Church -- Dalton-in-Furness -- Dalton Town with Newton -- Cumbria / -- Records of first peals, Grandsire Triples and Grandsire Caters. -- 18.6.2011
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Mary's Church -- Dalton-in-Furness -- Dalton Town with Newton -- Cumbria / -- List of 8 bells, 1913. -- 18.6.2011
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Mary's Church -- Dalton-in-Furness -- Dalton Town with Newton -- Cumbria / -- 'Lancashire Association of Changeringers / Furness & Lake District Branch' -- 18.6.2011

photographs
The bells are by Taylor, Loughborough, recast from an earlier set. The frame is an early example of an iron bell frame by ?Warner, London.
courtesy of the tower captain
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Mary's Church -- Dalton-in-Furness -- Dalton Town with Newton -- Cumbria / -- Bells. -- 18.6.2011
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Mary's Church -- Dalton-in-Furness -- Dalton Town with Newton -- Cumbria / -- Bells. -- 18.6.2011
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Mary's Church -- Dalton-in-Furness -- Dalton Town with Newton -- Cumbria / -- Bells. -- 18.6.2011
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Mary's Church -- Dalton-in-Furness -- Dalton Town with Newton -- Cumbria / -- Bells. -- 18.6.2011
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Mary's Church -- Dalton-in-Furness -- Dalton Town with Newton -- Cumbria / -- Bells. -- 18.6.2011
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Mary's Church -- Dalton-in-Furness -- Dalton Town with Newton -- Cumbria / -- Bells. -- 18.6.2011
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Mary's Church -- Dalton-in-Furness -- Dalton Town with Newton -- Cumbria / -- Bell wheel. -- 18.6.2011

photographs
Access from a door at the back of the nave.
The computer/video displays were for an 'open day'.
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Mary's Church -- Dalton-in-Furness -- Dalton Town with Newton -- Cumbria / -- The way in. -- 18.6.2011
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Mary's Church -- Dalton-in-Furness -- Dalton Town with Newton -- Cumbria / -- Spiral stair -- 18.6.2011

references Handley, Diana: 1983: Notes on Furness Branch Bells::: inscriptions and history
Dent, Geoffrey: 2007: History of St Mary's Church and Parish Dalton-in-Furness::: on sale in church; has interesting articles about 'NOISE'

notes Described in:-
Butler, Lawrence (ed): 2011: Church Notes of Sir Stephen Glynne for Cumbria, 1833-1872: CWAAS:: ISBN 978 1 873124 52 9
Extracted from the original notes made by Sir Stephen, now in Deiniol's Library, Hawarden, Flintshire, contact through Flintshire Record Office

photographs
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Mary's Church -- Dalton-in-Furness -- Dalton Town with Newton -- Cumbria / -- Coat arms. -- 10.7.2006
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Mary's Church -- Dalton-in-Furness -- Dalton Town with Newton -- Cumbria / -- Parish chest, -- '17 M D 20' -- 18.6.2011
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Mary's Church -- Dalton-in-Furness -- Dalton Town with Newton -- Cumbria / -- Organ, by Ainscough, Preston. -- 18.6.2011
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Mary's Church -- Dalton-in-Furness -- Dalton Town with Newton -- Cumbria / -- 'AINSCOUGH / ORGAN BUILDER / PRESTON.' -- 18.6.2011
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Mary's Church -- Dalton-in-Furness -- Dalton Town with Newton -- Cumbria / -- Memorial to William Atkinson, died 1821. -- 18.6.2011
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Mary's Church -- Dalton-in-Furness -- Dalton Town with Newton -- Cumbria / -- Coat of arms, on Atkinson memorial. -- 18.6.2011

photographs
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Mary's Church -- Dalton-in-Furness -- Dalton Town with Newton -- Cumbria / -- The old church before demolition, 1883; and the school. -- 18.6.2011

button   bench mark, NY50070290
button   Gosforth Cross, Gosforth
button   ring of bells, Ambleside
button   ring of bells, Broughton in Furness
button   ring of bells, Crosthwaite
button   ring of bells, Dalton-in-Furness
button   ring of bells, Kirkby Lonsdale
button   ring of bells, Wigton
button   summer house, Kirkby Lonsdale (2)
button   sundial, Broughton in Furness
button   sundial, Cumwhitton
button   sundial, Dalton-in-Furness
button   sundial, Gilcrux
button   sundial, Hayton
button   sundial, High Hesket
button   sundial, Kirkby Lonsdale
button   sundial, Longsleddale
button   sundial, Penny Bridge
button   sundial, Rydal
button   sundial, Staveley-in-Cartmel
button   sundial, Whicham
button   sundial, Whitbeck
button   sundial, Wreay
button   war memorial, Ambleside
button   war memorial, Broughton in Furness
button   war memorial, Ennerdale
button   war memorial, Hayton
button   war memorial, Hethersgill
button   war memorial, High Hesket
button   war memorial, Longsleddale
button   war memorial, Rockcliffe
button   war memorial, Whicham

Old Cumbria Gazetteer - JandMN: 2013

button to lakes menu  Lakes Guides menu.

©  Martin and Jean Norgate: 2014
mailto button  email:- JandMN@norgate.freeserve.co.uk
button, online connection  Other projects

button, online connection  Geography Department, Portsmouth University