button to main menu   Old Cumbria Gazetteer
placename:- St Mary's Church
other name:- Longsleddale Church
locality:- Longsleddale
parish Longsleddale parish, once in Westmorland
county:- Cumbria
church
coordinates:- NY50070289
10Km square:- NY50
References : 2005: Diocese of Carlisle, Directory 2004/5

1Km square NY5002

photograph

St Mary's Church -- Longsleddale -- Longsleddale -- Cumbria / -- 27.8.2009
photograph

St Mary's Church -- Longsleddale -- Longsleddale -- Cumbria / -- 27.8.2009

old map:- OS County Series (Wmd 27 11,12)

County Series maps of Great Britain, scales 6 and 25 inches to 1 mile, published by the Ordnance Survey, Southampton, Hampshire, from about 1863 to 1948.
thumbnail C5E015, button to large image
St. Mary's Church

placename:- St Mary's Church
date:- 1890=1899
period:- 19th century, late; 1890s

old map:- Nurse 1918

Map, The Diocese of Carlisle, Cumberland, Westmorland, and Lancashire North of the Sands, now Cumbria, scale about 4 miles to 1 inch, by Rev Euston J Nurse, published by Charles Thurnam and Sons, 11 English Street, Carlisle, Cumberland, 1918 and 2nd edn 1939.
thumbnail NUR1NY50, button to large image
LONG SLEDDALE
site name:- Kendal Rural Deanery
site name:- Archdeaconry of Westmorland
site name:- Diocese of Carlisle
date:- 1939
period:- 1930s

descriptive text:- Wilson 1912

Book, Longsleddale, by F M Wilson, published by T Wilson, Kendal, Westmorland, 1912.
The church of St. Mary's was erected in 1863 by Lady Howard, on the site of an earlier building. A carved oak door opening to a recess in the vestry bears the date 1662, and there is an oak chest dated 1719. The Communion Plate includes a silver Chalice dated 1571. The chapel of Longsleddale was licensed for a place of burial by W. Dawes, Bishop of Chester, in 1712.
person:- : Howard, Lady
person:- clergyman : Dawes, W; Chester, Bishop of
date:- 1912
period:- 1910s

source:- OS 1881-82 New Series (outline edition)

Maps, parts of Westmorland, Cumberland, etc now Cumbria, New Series 1 inch maps of England, published by the Ordnance Survey, London, 1881-82; sheets 7, 11, 12, 16..19, 22..25, 28..31, 37..40, 47..50, 58.
Ch.
date:- 1881=1882
period:- 19th century, late; 1880s

descriptive text:- Bulmer 1880s (1st edn 1885/Wmd)

Series of books, each the History, Topography, and Directory of a county in the NW, mostly by T F Bulmer, published by T Bulmer and Co, Manchester, Lancashire, 1880s; 2nd editions 1900s-10s.
The church, which stands near the centre of the dale, is a neat edifice, rebuilt in 1863 by the late Hon. Mrs. Howard of Levens Hall. The living is a Perpetual Curacy in the gift of the vicar of Kendal, and worth L125, derived chiefly from rent of land purchased with various grants from Queen Anne's Bounty and other sources. the present incumbent is the Rev. W. Burrows, B.A.
person:- : Howard, Mrs
person:- clergyman : Burrows, W
date:- 1885
period:- 19th century, late

descriptive text:- Whellan 1860

History and Topography of the Counties of Cumberland and Westmoreland, by William Whellan, published by W Whellan and Co, Pontefract, Yorkshire, by Whittaker and Co, London, and by Galt and Co, Manchester, Greater Manchester, 1860.
...
THE CHAPEL
Long Sleddale chapel stands near the centre of the vale. It is a small building, erected in 1712, when the burial-ground was also consecrated. The living has been several times augmented. In 1713 it received L80 from the heir and four daughters of Henry Holme; and in 1746, 1773, and 1775, three sums of money of L200 each from the governors of Queen Anne's Bounty, and a subscription of L200, making altogether L800, laid out in the purchase of land in Long Sleddale,, Selside, and Lambrigg, now let for about L50 a year. The total income of the living is L88. The vicar of Kendal is patron. The registers commence in 1670.
INCUMBENTS.- Matthew Monkhouse, 1747; Edward Greenwood, 1798; Robert Walker, 1845.
There is no parsonage.
date:- 1860
period:- 19th century, late; 1860s

source:- Housman 1800

Guide book, Descriptive Tour, and Guide to the Lakes, Caves, Mountains ..., by John Housman, published by F Jollie, Carlisle, Cumberland and C Law, Ave Maria Lane, London, 1800; published 1800-21.
Page 70:-
... Soon after our entrance into the valley, we pass a small chapel, where the inhabitants of the dale, issuing from their cottages, assemble to offer up their public devotions to the Almighty.
date:- 1800; 1812
period:- 19th century, early; 1800s

source:- Nicolson and Burn 1777

Book, History and Antiquities of the Counties of Westmorland and Cumberland, 2 volumes, by Joseph Nicolson and Richard Burn, published by W Strahan and T Cadell, Strand, London, 1777. (Or reprint 1976)
pp.133-134
The chapel stands about the middle of the dale, and was made parochial by bishop Dawes in 1712. The ancient salary thereof is 5l 2s 10d.
In the year 1713, four sisters of Henry Holme of Long Sleddale deceased gave 5s each, and Anthony Dennison heir at law to the said Henry Holme gave 60l, wherewith an estate in Long Sleddale was purchased, which was a customary estate; and the infranchisement thereof was purchased by the then curate out of of the mesne profits: And the estate is now worth about 10l a year.
In 1746, an augmentation of 200l of queen Anne's bounty by lot fell to this chapel, which was laid out in the purchase of a freehold estate in Long Sleddale, now worth 12l a year ot upwards.
So that the whole annual revenue is about 27l a year.
person:- clergyman : Dawes, Bishop
person:- : Holme, Henry
person:- clergyman : Dennison, Anthony
date:- 1777
period:- 18th century, late

old map:- Jefferys 1770 (Wmd)

Map, The County of Westmoreland, scale about 1 inch to 1 mile, surveyed by J Ainslie and perhaps T Donald, engraved and published by Thomas Jefferys, London, 1770.
thumbnail J5NY40SE, button to large image
church
county:- Westmorland
date:- 1770
period:- 18th century, late; 1770s

old map:- Hodgson 1828

Map, 4 sheets, Westmorland, by T Hodgson, scale about 1 1/4 inches to 1 mile, engraved by W R Gardner, ?published by C Smith, 1828.
thumbnail Hdg1_64, button to large image

placename:- Long Sleddale Chapel
date:- 1823
period:- 19th century, early; 1820s

records:- Curwen 1926

Curwen, John F
1863 June : The old church was taken down and the present one erected by Lady Howard; a carved oak door in the vestry bears the date 1662, an oak chest is dated 1719, while the Communion plate includes a silver chalice and cover-paten dated 1571. On the chalice are four marks:- 1, Fleur-de-lis and two stars; 2, Leopard's head crowned; 3, Lion passant; 4, Small black-letter O [see page image] being the London date letter for 1571-2.
person:- : Howard, Lady
date:- 1863
period:- 19th century, late; 1860s

records:- Curwen 1926

Curwen, John F
1862 October 17 : Rev. William Dent took the usual oaths and subscribed the Declaration on his appointment to the Perpetual Curacy of Longsleddale. K. Minute Book, 1859-75.
person:- : Dent, William
date:- 1862
period:- 19th century, late; 1860s

records:- Curwen 1926

Curwen, John F
1845 October 17 : The Rev. Robert Walker (of Woolsthorpe, Grantham) on being instituted to the perpetual curacy of Longsleddale in succession to Mr. Edward Greenwood, took and subscribed the usual oaths and signed the usual Declaration. K. Indict. Book, 1839-52.
person:- : Greenwood, Edward
person:- : Walker, Robert
date:- 1845
period:- 19th century, early; 1840s

records:- Curwen 1926

Curwen, John F
1741 April 10 : Ric. Hall of Longsleddale, husbandman, was convicted of swearing one profane oath in the chapel of Longsleddale. K. Indictment Book, 1738-50.
person:- : Hall, Richard
date:- 1714
period:- 18th century, early; 1710s

records:- Curwen 1926

Curwen, John F
1712 : Longsleddale Chapel rebuilt and burial ground consecrated.

placename:- Longsleddale Chapel
date:- 1712
period:- 18th century, early; 1710s

descriptive text:- Ffinch 1983

Book, Kendal and the Kent Valley, by Michael Ffinch, published by Robert Hale, London, 1983.
... Longsleddale was one of the chapelries of Kendal Parish: there were twenty-four altogether. It is fairly certain there would have been a small chapel in the valley in medieval times, for a community was active in the wool industry by the end of the thirteenth century. In 1297 there was a fulling-mill at Sadgill .... Although the dead would have been taken to the parish church in Kendal for burial, it is reasonable to suppose they would not have had to travel so far to Mass. It is known that a chapel was rebuilt and a graveyard consecrated in 1712, ... the present building dedicated to the Virgin Mary, was completed in 1863, and is one of the churches of the United Benefice of Skelsmergh, Selside and Longsleddale.

parish register:- KendalRO : WPR/85

William Jackson, curate, Longsleddale, married Thomasin Lickbarrow, daughter of Isaac and Ellinor, 2 Novmber 1693.
person:- clergyman : Jackson, William
person:- : Lickbarrow, Thomasin
date:- 1693
period:- 17th century, late; 1690s

parish register:- KendalRO : WPR/85

Edmond Atkinson, curate, Longsleddale, married Margaret Lickbarrow, daughter of Roger, 29 October 1710.
A later record is of their son Edmond, baptized 17 November 1724; Edmond now vicar of Ulverston.
person:- clergyman : Atkinson, Edmond
person:- : Lickbarrow, Margaret
date:- 1710
period:- 18th century, early; 1810s

parish register:- KendalRO : WPR/85

Dorothy wife of Matthew Alexander, curate, Longsleddale, buried 12 February 1721/22.
person:- : Alexander, Dorothy
person:- clergyman : Alexander, Matthew
date:- 1722
period:- 18th century, early; 1720s

parish register:- KendalRO : WPR/85

Frances wife of Rev Matthew Monkhouse of Dale End, age 72, buried 20 April 1790.
person:- : Monkhouse, Frances
person:- clergyman : Monkhouse, Matthew
date:- 1790
period:- 18th century, late; 1790s

parish register:- KendalRO : WPR/85

Matthew Monkhouse, curate, age 73, buried 24 October 1793.
person:- clergyman : Monkhouse, Matthew
date:- 1793
period:- 18th century, late; 1790s

incumbents:-
Noble, John 1670
Cowperthwaite, Robert 1674
Hayton, Jonathan 1682
Jackson, William 1692
Thomson, Thomas 1694
Mackreth, Anthony 1696
Wilkinson, John 1706
Atkinson, Edmund 1709
Birket, William 1712
Bowness, Richard 1713
Kitchen, Philip 1718
Alexander, Matthew 1720
Dawes, Peter 1722
Bateman, Robert 1724
Gaythorp, William 1727
Hodgson, James 1732
Rittson, George 1737
Willan, Thomas 1741
Atkinson, John 1742
Hodgson, John 1744
Monkhouse, Matthew 1747
Greenwood, Edward 1798
Walker, Robert 1845
Dent, William 1862
Sharples, J H 1872
Read, A P 1875
Lesh, Edward 1880
Burrows, W 1884
McCall, John H Grice 1902

photographs
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Mary's Church -- Longsleddale -- Longsleddale -- Cumbria / -- The bell. -- 10.2004
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Mary's Church -- Longsleddale -- Longsleddale -- Cumbria / -- The bell. -- 2009 -- courtesy of John Streul

photographs
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Mary's Church -- Longsleddale -- Longsleddale -- Cumbria / -- The banner inscription painted on the chancel arch was probably done when the church was built, 1863? -- 27.8.2009
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Mary's Church -- Longsleddale -- Longsleddale -- Cumbria / -- Millennium Banner; he names on the side panels are of families who live in the valley; Andrews, Barrow, Bennett, Boyd, Bretherton, Coates, Cooper, Dales, Dixon, Farmer, Fishwick, Hubbard, Leybourne, Mercer, Richards, Simpson, Streule, Sutton, Thornton, Todd, Tyson, Waine, Walshaw, Whitworth, Wilson. -- 27.8.2009
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Mary's Church -- Longsleddale -- Longsleddale -- Cumbria / -- Spice cupboard, relocated to the left of the altar. -- 3.8.2009
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Mary's Church -- Longsleddale -- Longsleddale -- Cumbria / -- Lord's Prayer and Creed. -- 2.5.2010
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Mary's Church -- Longsleddale -- Longsleddale -- Cumbria / -- Ten Commandments. -- 2.5.2010
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Mary's Church -- Longsleddale -- Longsleddale -- Cumbria / -- Chest. -- 3.8.2009
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Mary's Church -- Longsleddale -- Longsleddale -- Cumbria / -- Inscription on chest:- -- '1719 / LS' -- 3.8.2009
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Mary's Church -- Longsleddale -- Longsleddale -- Cumbria / -- Chest -- 3.8.2009
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Mary's Church -- Longsleddale -- Longsleddale -- Cumbria / -- Inscription on chest:- -- 'GA / 1882' -- 3.8.2009
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Mary's Church -- Longsleddale -- Longsleddale -- Cumbria / -- St Mary's Church and Community Hall. -- 30.3.2004
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Mary's Church -- Longsleddale -- Longsleddale -- Cumbria / -- Gravestone:- -- 'SACRED / to the memory of / JAMES MATTINSON, late of Sadgill, / who died March 1st. 1835. / Aged 78 Years. / Also of / AGNES MATTINSON, his wife, / who died June 20th. 1806, / Aged 48 Years. / ...' -- 3.8.2009
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Mary's Church -- Longsleddale -- Longsleddale -- Cumbria / -- 27.8.2009
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Mary's Church -- Longsleddale -- Longsleddale -- Cumbria / -- 11.4.2010

photographs
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Mary's Church -- Longsleddale -- Longsleddale -- Cumbria / -- Postcard, photograph by Simcoe and Sons, Kendal, 1920s.
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Mary's Church -- Longsleddale -- Longsleddale -- Cumbria / -- Postcard, photograph, 1920s.
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Mary's Church -- Longsleddale -- Longsleddale -- Cumbria / -- Postcard.

photographs
courtesy of John Bennet
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Mary's Church -- Longsleddale -- Longsleddale -- Cumbria /
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Mary's Church -- Longsleddale -- Longsleddale -- Cumbria /

hearsay The church has a silver chalice, dated on the cover
1571

notes Registers date from 1670, the available records are:-
baptism registers - 1670-1993
marriage registers - 1671-1977
banns registers - 1824-1992
burial registers - 1712-1993
The Old Chapel Book, which runs from 1670-1812, states when various curates take office. (The names of incumbents on a list in the church does not match exactly.)
References
Whitehead, Henry, Rev: 1894=1895: Westmorland Parish Registers: TransCWAAS: OS vol.13:: pp.125-141; Longsleddale p.135
: 1998 (3rd edn): Cumbrian Ancestors, Notes for Genealogical Researcher: Cumbria County Council, Archive Service (Carlisle, Cumbria)

fiction Ward, Humphrey, Mrs: 1888: Robert Elsmere
Described in chapter 2:-
... The ecclesiastical revival of the last half-century has worked its will even in the remotest corners of the Cumbrian country, and soon not a vestige of the homely worshipping-places of an earlier day will remain. Across the road, in front of Long Whindale parsonage, for instance, rose a freshly built church, also peaked and gabled, with a spire and two bells, and a painted east window, and Heaven knows what novelties besides. The primitive whitewashed structure it replaced had lasted long, and in the course of many generations time had clothed its moss-grown walls, its slated porch, and tombstones worn with rain in a certain beauty of congruity and association, linking it with the purple distances of the fells, and the brawling river bending round the gray enclosure. But finally, after a period of quiet and gradual decay, the ruin of Long Whindale chapel had become a quick and hurrying ruin that would not be arrested. When the rotten timbers of the roof came dropping on the farmers' heads, and the oak benches beneath offered gaps, the geography of which had to be carefully learnt by the substantial persons who sat on them, lest they be overtaken by undignified disaster; when the rain poured in on the Communion Table and the wind raged through innumerable mortarless chinks, even the slowly-moving folk of the valley came to the conclusion that "summat 'ull hev to be deun." And by the help of the Bishop,, and Queen Anne's Bounty, and what not, aided by just as many half-crowns as the valley found itself unable to defend against the encroachments of a new and 'moiderin' parson, 'summat' was done, whereof the results - namely, the new church, vicarage, and schollhouse - were now conspicuous.
...

button   bench mark, NY50070290
button   Gosforth Cross, Gosforth
button   ring of bells, Ambleside
button   ring of bells, Broughton in Furness
button   ring of bells, Crosthwaite
button   ring of bells, Dalton-in-Furness
button   ring of bells, Kirkby Lonsdale
button   ring of bells, Wigton
button   summer house, Kirkby Lonsdale (2)
button   sundial, Broughton in Furness
button   sundial, Cumwhitton
button   sundial, Dalton-in-Furness
button   sundial, Gilcrux
button   sundial, Hayton
button   sundial, High Hesket
button   sundial, Kirkby Lonsdale
button   sundial, Longsleddale
button   sundial, Penny Bridge
button   sundial, Rydal
button   sundial, Staveley-in-Cartmel
button   sundial, Whicham
button   sundial, Whitbeck
button   sundial, Wreay
button   war memorial, Ambleside
button   war memorial, Broughton in Furness
button   war memorial, Ennerdale
button   war memorial, Hayton
button   war memorial, Hethersgill
button   war memorial, High Hesket
button   war memorial, Longsleddale
button   war memorial, Rockcliffe
button   war memorial, Whicham

Old Cumbria Gazetteer - JandMN: 2013

button to lakes menu  Lakes Guides menu.

©  Martin and Jean Norgate: 2014
mailto button  email:- JandMN@norgate.freeserve.co.uk
button, online connection  Other projects

button, online connection  Geography Department, Portsmouth University