button to main menu   Old Cumbria Gazetteer
placename:- St Mary's Church
other name:- Rydal Church
locality:- Rydal
parish Lakes parish, once in Westmorland
county:- Cumbria
church
coordinates:- NY36430622
10Km square:- NY30
References : 2005: Diocese of Carlisle, Directory 2004/5

1Km square NY3606

photograph

St Mary's Church -- Rydal -- Lakes -- Cumbria / -- 7.10.2009
photograph

St Mary's Church -- Rydal -- Lakes -- Cumbria / -- 7.10.2009

old map:- OS County Series (Wmd 26 2)

County Series maps of Great Britain, scales 6 and 25 inches to 1 mile, published by the Ordnance Survey, Southampton, Hampshire, from about 1863 to 1948.

placename:- St Mary's Church
church
date:- 1890=1899
period:- 19th century, late; 1890s

old map:- Nurse 1918

Map, The Diocese of Carlisle, Cumberland, Westmorland, and Lancashire North of the Sands, now Cumbria, scale about 4 miles to 1 inch, by Rev Euston J Nurse, published by Charles Thurnam and Sons, 11 English Street, Carlisle, Cumberland, 1918 and 2nd edn 1939.
thumbnail NUR1NY30, button to large image
RYDAL
site name:- Ambleside Rural Deanery
site name:- Archdeaconry of Westmorland
site name:- Diocese of Carlisle
date:- 1939
period:- 1930s

old print:- Bradley 1901

thumbnail BRL157, button to large image
Print, uncoloured lithograph, Rydal Church, St Mary's Church, Rydal, Westmorland, by Joseph Pennell, published by Macmillan and Co, London, 1901.
On page 225 of Highways and Byways in the Lake District, by A G Bradley.
printed at bottom:-
Rydal Church.

placename:- Rydal Church
date:- 1901
period:- 1900s

old photograph:- Bell 1880s-1940s

thumbnail HB0682, button to large image
Photograph, sepia, St Mary's Church, nave, Rydal, Westmorland, by Herbert Bell, photographer, Ambleside, Westmorland, 1890s.
date:- 1890=1899
period:- 19th century, late

old map:- Garnett 1850s-60s H

Map of the English Lakes, scale about 3.5 miles to 1 inch, published by John Garnett, Windermere, Westmorland, 1850s-60s.
thumbnail GAR2NY30, button to large image
cross, a church
date:- 1850=1869
period:- 19th century, late; 1850s; 1860s

descriptive text:- Ford 1839 (3rd edn 1843)

Description of Scenery in the Lake District, by William Ford, published by Charles Thurnham, London, et al, 1839; published 1839-52.
Page 40:-
...
... [Rydal] is now also ornamented by a tasteful little chapel, of the English style of architecture, and its hexagonal tower finished with pinnacles, is a beautiful object from various points.
date:- 1839
period:- 19th century, early; 1830s

descriptive text:- Otley 1823 (5th edn 1834)

Guidebook, Concise Description of the English Lakes, later A Description of the English Lakes, by Jonathan Otley, published by the author, Keswick, Cumberland, by J Richardson, London, and by Arthur Foster, Kirky Lonsdale, Cumbria, 1823 onwards.
image OT01P109, button   goto source.
Page 109:-
... among ancient oaks, stands Rydal Hall, the patrimonial residence of Lady le Fleming, who has built and endowed a neat Chapel in the village. ...
person:- : Fleming, Lady le
date:- 1823
period:- 19th century, early; 1820s

photographs
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Mary's Church -- Rydal -- Lakes -- Cumbria / -- Stained glass, memorial to Jemima Katherine and Rotha Quillinnan, erected 1891. -- 3.8.2013
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Mary's Church -- Rydal -- Lakes -- Cumbria / -- Plaque for the Quilinan window. -- 3.8.2013
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Mary's Church -- Rydal -- Lakes -- Cumbria / -- Stained glass, memorial to Thomas Arnold, Fox How, d.1842 and wife Mary d.1873. -- 3.8.2013
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Mary's Church -- Rydal -- Lakes -- Cumbria / -- Stained glass, memorial to Wilson Fox, Field Foot, Physician in Ordinary to Victoria, d.1887. -- 3.8.2013

database:- Listed Buildings 2010

Listed Buildings 2010

courtesy of English Heritage
CHURCH OF ST MARY / / / LAKES / SOUTH LAKELAND / CUMBRIA / II[star] / 452640 / NY3643606214
courtesy of English Heritage
DATES OF MAIN PHASES, NAME OF ARCHITECT: Parish church of 1824, by George Webster of Keswick; with chancel added 1884.
MATERIALS: Local slatestone rubble with bigger quoins and freestone dressings, slate roof.
PLAN: Nave with lower and narrower chancel, west tower with vestry on its south side, north porch, north organ chamber.
EXTERIOR: The nave is simple Perpendicular in the non-archaeological style of the 1820s. Nave and chancel have moulded cornices and coped gables which return above the eaves as short parapets, and the nave has lead rainwater heads dated 1824. The nave is 4 bays and has 2-light windows with wooden tracery. The 3-stage tower has diagonal buttresses in the lower stage, panelled clasping buttresses in the upper stage rising above the embattled parapet as corner pinnacles. The west doorway is in a deep splay and has a segmental pointed arch, above which is a single pointed window. The second stage has round clock faces in square moulded frames, beneath drip moulds. There are Y-tracery belfry openings with louvres. On the north side of the tower is the embattled porch, now roofless, which has arched east and west entrances with continuous deep splays, and opens directly to the gallery stair. The chancel has diagonal buttresses, 3-light Perpendicular east window, 2-light Decorated and 1-light south windows, and a single-light north window. The organ chamber has a plain parapet and 2-light Decorated east window. The embattled gabled vestry added to the south side of the tower has a south lancet window.
INTERIOR: The interior is plain, with a simple 2-centred chancel arch with roll moulding, flat C20 nave ceiling, and polygonal boarded chancel ceiling with moulded ribs, on a moulded cornice. The nave and gallery retain original doors with vertical panels. Walls are plastered. There is a parquet floor in the nave and decorative tiles in the chancel. Access to the gallery is by a stone stair leading directly from the north porch, which has iron balusters and wooden rail, and leads to a panelled gallery and tower doors.
PRINCIPAL FIXTURES: The west gallery is on 3 Tudor arches with posts, the central bay narrower and with quatrefoils in the spandrels. The gallery front has Gothic panelling, above which is a glazed screen that was added in 1995. The polygonal wooden pulpit, with blind cusped panels, is also one of the original fixtures of the church, as is probably the plain octagonal font. The benches are late C19, with moulded ends incorporating arm rests. Stained-glass windows commemorate, among others, Dr Thomas Arnold (d 1842), headmaster of Rugby School (who holidayed nearby), and the step-daughters of Dora, William Wordsworth¨s daughter, by Henry Holiday (1891), below which is a memorial brass plaque of some interest.
HISTORY: Built as a chapel-of-ease in 1824. The patron was Lady le Fleming of Rydal Hall. The architect, George Webster of Keswick (1797-1864), was a prominent local architect responsible for over a dozen churches. His original specification for the church is in the Cumbria Record Office, Kendal. William Wordsworth, who lived at nearby Rydal Mount from 1813 until his death in 1850, helped to choose the site and composed 2 poems inspired by the foundation of the church. Wordsworth was chapel warden in 1833, but was not enamoured with the building, expressing his `regret that the architect did not furnish an elevation better suited to the site in a narrow mountain pass, and...better constructed in the interior for the purpose of worship'. An early visitor was the 11-year-old John Ruskin in 1830, who noted the `chasteness & elegance' of the windows and the neatly carved pulpit. The chapel has numerous associations with other literary and cultural figures of the C19 and is the venue for an annual Wordsworth Memorial Lecture. Wordsworth complained that the original church had no chancel or vestry, which was rectified in 1884 when chancel, organ chamber and vestry were added.
SOURCES:
N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England: Cumberland and Westmorland, 1967, p 286.
Parish church of St Mary Rydal, n.d.
M. Wheeler, Wordsworth, Rydal and Victorian Literature, 1995.
REASONS FOR DESIGNATION: The church of St Mary, Rydal, is designated at Grade II[star] for the following principal reasons: [bullet] It is a well-preserved early C19 church in a simple Perpendicular style, retaining its original character and detail, including the gallery and pulpit, with later extensions that harmonise with the earlier work through use of similar materials. [bullet] The church is of special historical interest for its association with William Wordsworth, who lived nearby, was a regular worshipper and helped choose the site of the church, and other C19 literary and cultural figures. [bullet] The stained glass is of high order.

placename:- Church of St Mary
district:- South Lakeland
listed building
coordinates:- NY36430621
date:- 2010
period:- 2010s

incumbents:-
Fleming, Fletcher 1825=1856
Tatham, John 1857=1870
Atkinson, John 1872=1879
Riddle, A E 1881=1886
Stock, E Ernest 1887=1897

old print:- Black 1856 (23rd edn 1900)

Guide book, Black's Guide to the English Lakes, published by Adam and Charles Black, North Bridge, Edinburgh, Lothian, Scotland, or Soho Square, London, 1856 to 1900s onwards.
thumbnail BC08E3, button to large image
Print, lithograph, Outline Views, Grasmere and Coniston - Mountains as seen from Redbank, Grasmere, and Mountains as seen a little beyond Tent Lodge on the Road from Coniston to Ulverstone, by J Flintoft, Keswick, Cumberland, engraved by R Mason, Edinburgh, Lothian, about 1900.
... Church ...
date:- 1900
period:- 1900s

old print:- Sylvan 1847

thumbnail SYL115, button to large image
Print, engraving, Rydal Church, St Mary's Church, Rydal, Westmorland, published by John Johnstone, Paternoster Row, London, et al, 1847.
On p.50 of Sylvan's Pictorial Guide to the English Lakes.
printed at bottom:-
RYDAL CHURCH.

placename:- Rudal Church
date:- 1847
period:- 19th century, early

old print:- Black 1841 (3rd edn 1846)

Guide book, Black's Picturesque Guide to the English Lakes, published by Adam and Charles Blck, North Bridge, Edinburgh, Lothian, Scotland, 1841 to 1888.
thumbnail BC02E3, button to large image
Print, engraving, outline view, Mountains as seen from Red Bank, Grasmere, and Mountains as seen a little beyond Tent-Lodge on the Road from Coniston to Ulverston, by J Flintoft, Keswick, Cumberland, engraved by R Mason, Edinburgh, Lothian, about 1846.
... Church ...
date:- 1844
period:- 19th century, early

photographs
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Mary's Church -- Rydal -- Lakes -- Cumbria / -- Organ, 1807/1870. -- 7.10.2009
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Mary's Church -- Rydal -- Lakes -- Cumbria / -- Makers plate:- -- 'Built / by / Muir Wood & Co. / Edinburgh / .1807. / Rebuilt & Enlarged / by / W. Wilkinson & Son / Kendal / 1870' -- 7.10.2009
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Mary's Church -- Rydal -- Lakes -- Cumbria / -- Plaque:- -- 'REMEMBER BEFORE GOD / WILLIAM WORDSWORTH / POET LAUREATE / BORN 7 APRIL 1770 / DIED AT RYDAL 23 APRIL 1850 / RESIDED AT RYDAL MOUNT 1813-1850 / CHAPEL WARDEN 1833-1834' -- 7.10.2009
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Mary's Church -- Rydal -- Lakes -- Cumbria / -- 30.7.2013

hearsay Built by Lady Le Fleming of Rydal Hall, 1823-25. William Wordsworth, living nearby at Rydal Mount, wrote two poems commemorating the event.

button   bench mark, NY50070290
button   Gosforth Cross, Gosforth
button   ring of bells, Ambleside
button   ring of bells, Broughton in Furness
button   ring of bells, Crosthwaite
button   ring of bells, Dalton-in-Furness
button   ring of bells, Kirkby Lonsdale
button   ring of bells, Wigton
button   summer house, Kirkby Lonsdale (2)
button   sundial, Broughton in Furness
button   sundial, Cumwhitton
button   sundial, Dalton-in-Furness
button   sundial, Gilcrux
button   sundial, Hayton
button   sundial, High Hesket
button   sundial, Kirkby Lonsdale
button   sundial, Longsleddale
button   sundial, Penny Bridge
button   sundial, Rydal
button   sundial, Staveley-in-Cartmel
button   sundial, Whicham
button   sundial, Whitbeck
button   sundial, Wreay
button   war memorial, Ambleside
button   war memorial, Broughton in Furness
button   war memorial, Ennerdale
button   war memorial, Hayton
button   war memorial, Hethersgill
button   war memorial, High Hesket
button   war memorial, Longsleddale
button   war memorial, Rockcliffe
button   war memorial, Whicham

Old Cumbria Gazetteer - JandMN: 2013

button to lakes menu  Lakes Guides menu.

©  Martin and Jean Norgate: 2014
mailto button  email:- JandMN@norgate.freeserve.co.uk
button, online connection  Other projects

button, online connection  Geography Department, Portsmouth University