button to main menu   Old Cumbria Gazetteer
placename:- St Nicholas's Church
other name:- Nicholforest Church
locality:- Kingfield
locality:- Nicholforest
parish Nicholforest parish, once in Cumberland
county:- Cumbria
church
coordinates:- NY45477793
10Km square:- NY47
References : 2005: Diocese of Carlisle, Directory 2004/5

1Km square NY4577

photograph

St Nicholas's Church -- Kingfield -- Nicholforest -- Nicholforest -- Cumbria / -- 4.6.2010

old map:- Nurse 1918

Map, The Diocese of Carlisle, Cumberland, Westmorland, and Lancashire North of the Sands, now Cumbria, scale about 4 miles to 1 inch, by Rev Euston J Nurse, published by Charles Thurnam and Sons, 11 English Street, Carlisle, Cumberland, 1918 and 2nd edn 1939.
thumbnail NUR1NY47, button to large image
NICHOLFOREST
site name:- Carlisle Rural Deanery
site name:- Archdeaconry of Carlisle
site name:- Diocese of Carlisle
date:- 1939
period:- 1930s

database:- Listed Buildings 2010

Listed Buildings 2010

courtesy of English Heritage
CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS / / / NICHOLFOREST / CARLISLE / CUMBRIA / II / 78185 / NY4547677948
courtesy of English Heritage
Parish church. 1866-7 by Alexander Graham. Snecked rock-faced sandstone with ashlar dressings. Slate roof in blue and purple bands with some shaped slates and with a crested tile ridge. Comprises a nave with a lower chancel which has an apsidal east end, and a north transept which has a lean-to vestry in the angle with the chancel. The west wall has 2 chamfered lancets below a rose window. The north and south nave walls each have 3 windows of 2 trefoiled lights with a quatrefoil below a pointed head and have buttresses between bays. On the south side there is an open timber porch to the right of the left-hand window. It rests on a stone base and has a steep roof. The entrance is formed by a gable truss with curved braces rising to a collar which supports a turned king post and has shaped bargeboards. The north gable of the transept has a window of 3 trefoiled lights below a foiled circle. The apsidal east end has 5 windows with bar tracery, each with a quatrefoil above a trefoil-headed light. On the south side of the chancel there is a 2-light window which almost matches those to the nave. Above the western bay of the nave there is a timber bellcote, painted white, and boarded below the trefoiled bell openings. It supports a slated spirelet. Interior: the nave and chancel have softwood boarded roofs. The nave roof has high collars with bolted king posts, straight braces, and wall posts rising from stone corbels. The transept arch is pointed and chamfered, and the chancel arch is chamfered in 2 orders, the inner order springing from foliated corbels. The chancel has a frieze of tiles at the wallhead, and a plain stone doorway leading to the vestry. The hexagonal pulpit is of oak. In the transept there are mural tablets in memory of John Ewart (d.1871) and James Mounsey (d.1835). The west windows and some of the north windows contain coloured glass. The chancel windows contain stained glass depicting Christ and the four Evangelists.

placename:- Church of St Nicholas
district:- Carlisle
listed building
coordinates:- NY45477794
date:- 2010
period:- 2010s

photocopy Whitehead 1883:-
vol.7 p.229

image t1007229.jpg
vol.7 p.230

image t1007230.jpg
Whitehead, H: 1883: Church Bells on the Border: TransCWAAS: vol.7: pp.221-236

button   ring of bells, Lazonby
button   sundial, Lazonby
button   war memorial, Lazonby
button   war memorial, Nicholforest

Old Cumbria Gazetteer - JandMN: 2013

button to lakes menu  Lakes Guides menu.

©  Martin and Jean Norgate: 2014
mailto button  email:- JandMN@norgate.freeserve.co.uk
button, online connection  Other projects

button, online connection  Geography Department, Portsmouth University