button to main menu   Old Cumbria Gazetteer
www.dove.cccbr.org.uk
placename:- St Oswald's Church
other name:- Ravenstonedale Church
locality:- Ravenstonedale
parish Ravenstonedale parish, once in Westmorland
county:- Cumbria
church
coordinates:- NY72230426
10Km square:- NY70
References : 2005: Diocese of Carlisle, Directory 2004/5

1Km square NY7204

photograph

St Oswald's Church -- Ravenstonedale -- Ravenstonedale -- Cumbria / -- 9.6.2007
photograph

St Oswald's Church -- Ravenstonedale -- Ravenstonedale -- Cumbria / -- Three decker pulpit. -- 30.4.2010

old map:- Nurse 1918

Map, The Diocese of Carlisle, Cumberland, Westmorland, and Lancashire North of the Sands, now Cumbria, scale about 4 miles to 1 inch, by Rev Euston J Nurse, published by Charles Thurnam and Sons, 11 English Street, Carlisle, Cumberland, 1918 and 2nd edn 1939.
thumbnail NUR1NY70, button to large image
RAVENSTONEDALE
site name:- Appleby and Kirkby Stephen Rural Deanery
site name:- Archdeaconry of Carlisle
site name:- Diocese of Carlisle
date:- 1939
period:- 1930s

database:- Listed Buildings 2010

Listed Buildings 2010

courtesy of English Heritage
CHURCH OF ST OSWALD / / / RAVENSTONEDALE / EDEN / CUMBRIA / I / 74144 / NY7223104265
courtesy of English Heritage
Parish church. Tower rebuilt 1738, rest of church 1744; some dressed stone from earlier church re-used. Snecked rubble with rusticated quoins. Graduated slate roofs. 3-stage west tower, wide aiseless nave, and chancel. Single tall storey with west gallery. C19 plank door in segment-headed architrave, with segmental pediment, to west face of tower; chamfered surround to single-light 1st floor window; re-used C16 elliptical-headed 3-light openings under hoodmould to 2nd stage. Projecting embattled parapet. 8-bay nave with gabled porch in west bay of each elevation: Columnar responds to pointed entrance arches; stone side benches, segment-headed inner doors. 8 windows (that over porch smaller), all in semicircular-headed surrounds with projecting keystones. 2 windows at east end. Cavetto eaves course to nave and chancel; stone copings with kneelers and ball finials to gables. Interior: Back of pew 97 in gallery incorporates re-used panels, carved with texts, dated 1633. Square painted panel (set diagonally), formerly a clock face, fastened to wall in lower ground floor, dated 1719 with inscription on brass plate: This clock was/given to this Church/by John Fothergill/of Brownber In the/Year 1719 Price Ten pounds. Painted text board to either side of chancel arch, northern dated 1747 but both may be earlier. George II coat-of-arms painted on panel opposite pulpit. Panelled partition across west end with gallery above carried on brackets; C17 closed-string stair, with turned balusters from tower. Inward-facing tiers of pews to main body of nave. Decoratively-panelled 3-decker pulpit, with tester, to north side. Chamfered semicircular chancel arch probably incorporates medieval responds. C18 communion rail, elliptical in plan, with turned balusters; C17 panelled door re-used for vestry on north side in chancel. Ionic modillions to ceiling cornice in nave. Stone font at west end of nave has an C18 octagonal bowl on an earlier chamfered stem. Commemorative C19 east window "To the glory of God, and in memory of Mrs Gaunt, daughter of Anthony Fothergill, Brownber . She was the last female martyr burnt at Tyburn for the cause of the Protestant religion Oct.4, 1685".

placename:- Church of St Oswald
district:- Eden
listed building
coordinates:- NY72230426
date:- 2010
period:- 2010s

photographs
Two cross slabs were found in excavating the Gilbertine priory, 1928. One is on the north porch of the church; the other was reburied.
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Oswald's Church -- Ravenstonedale -- Ravenstonedale -- Cumbria / -- 30.4.2010

photographs
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Oswald's Church -- Ravenstonedale -- Ravenstonedale -- Cumbria / -- Stained glass, St Cecilia, with a portative organ, by D Cottier; in memory of Mary Blanche Hewetson died 1890. -- 30.4.2010
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Oswald's Church -- Ravenstonedale -- Ravenstonedale -- Cumbria / -- Stained glass, for the church's centenary,1953. -- 4.3.2011
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Oswald's Church -- Ravenstonedale -- Ravenstonedale -- Cumbria / -- Stained glass:- -- '... in memory of Mrs Gaunt daughter of Anthoy Fothergill of Brownber. She was the last female martyr burnt at Tyburn for the cause of the Protestant Religion, Octr. 4th. 1685.' -- 30.4.2010
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Oswald's Church -- Ravenstonedale -- Ravenstonedale -- Cumbria / -- Stained glass in memory of Thomas Fothergill -- 30.4.2010

incumbents:-
Carlton, Anthony 1572=1576
Hunter, Thomas 1576=1589
Calvert, Rev 1594
Benson, Rev 1619=1622
Dodson, Thomas 1624=1673
Proctor, Anthony 1673=1689
Hunter, Thomas 1691
Tempest, Arthur 1692=1693
Wright, John 1694=1697
Dalton, John 1697=1705
Toulmin, Thomas 1706=1728
Mounsey, Robert 1735=1780
Bowness, Jeffrey 1780=1813
Robinson, John 1813=1833
Moss, Thomas 1833=1842
Kendall, William Charles 1842=1848
Yarker, William 1849=1871
Barnes, Ismay 1871=1873
Atkinson, George 1873=1888
Metcalfe, Robert Weston 1888=1908
Boulton, Thomas Sibley 1909=1916

source:- Dove 2009

diocese:- Carlisle Diocese
locality:- Ravenstonedale
coordinates:- NY722043

photographs
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Oswald's Church -- Ravenstonedale -- Ravenstonedale -- Cumbria / -- The usual warning notice; today's style. -- 17.7.2009
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Oswald's Church -- Ravenstonedale -- Ravenstonedale -- Cumbria / -- Ringing chamber. -- 6.8.2013

photographs
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Oswald's Church -- Ravenstonedale -- Ravenstonedale -- Cumbria / -- Ringing chamber, access. -- 6.8.2013

Dove data number of bells: 3
weight of tenor: 8 cwt 0 qtr 0 lb (about 900lbs)
Bell 1 cast 1743; 2 by John Woolley, about 1530; 3 by Christopher Hodson, 1694.
One bell, or more, cracked; unringable
Dove 2009
Data courtesy of the Central Council of Church Bell Ringers

photographs
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Oswald's Church -- Ravenstonedale -- Ravenstonedale -- Cumbria / -- Three decker pulpit. -- 6.8.2013
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Oswald's Church -- Ravenstonedale -- Ravenstonedale -- Cumbria / -- Three decker pulpit. -- 18.6.2009
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Oswald's Church -- Ravenstonedale -- Ravenstonedale -- Cumbria / -- Marquetry in the pulpit sounding board. -- 30.4.2010
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Oswald's Church -- Ravenstonedale -- Ravenstonedale -- Cumbria / -- Re-used timber in the pulpit. -- '... A PULPIT OF WOOD ...' -- 30.4.2010
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Oswald's Church -- Ravenstonedale -- Ravenstonedale -- Cumbria / -- Organ, made by Harrison and Harrison, Durham. -- 18.6.2009
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Oswald's Church -- Ravenstonedale -- Ravenstonedale -- Cumbria / -- Organ pipes. -- 18.6.2009
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Oswald's Church -- Ravenstonedale -- Ravenstonedale -- Cumbria / -- Numbered pews. -- 18.6.2009
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Oswald's Church -- Ravenstonedale -- Ravenstonedale -- Cumbria / -- Pews. -- 6.8.2013
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Oswald's Church -- Ravenstonedale -- Ravenstonedale -- Cumbria / -- coat of arms of George II. -- 9.12.2005
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Oswald's Church -- Ravenstonedale -- Ravenstonedale -- Cumbria / -- Lord's Prayer and The Creed. -- 30.4.2010
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Oswald's Church -- Ravenstonedale -- Ravenstonedale -- Cumbria / -- Poor box. -- 18.6.2009
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Oswald's Church -- Ravenstonedale -- Ravenstonedale -- Cumbria / -- Old clock dial. -- '17 19' -- 9.12.2005
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Oswald's Church -- Ravenstonedale -- Ravenstonedale -- Cumbria / -- Tuning fork for the choir. -- 6.8.2013
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Oswald's Church -- Ravenstonedale -- Ravenstonedale -- Cumbria / -- One of four panels embroiderd for the Millenium. -- 6.8.2013
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Oswald's Church -- Ravenstonedale -- Ravenstonedale -- Cumbria / -- Funerary plate, Milner Family, 1740s -- 30.4.2010

photographs
Pinned to a cupboard door:-
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Oswald's Church -- Ravenstonedale -- Ravenstonedale -- Cumbria / -- Warning -- 30.4.2010

photographs
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Oswald's Church -- Ravenstonedale -- Ravenstonedale -- Cumbria / -- Daguerrotype of the church, mid 19th century. -- 30.4.2010

hearsay Holmes, a murderer, gained protection from justice by ringing the sanctuary bell. He settled in Ravenstonedale, and his descendants are said to be there to this day.
The right of sanctuary was abolished by James I, 1623.

hearsay The spinsters of the parish protested against batchelors who found sweethearts outside the dale. In September 1776 a majority of females in the community declared that any man marrying a girl from over the hills should pay a fine of twenty pounds, to go to the poor, and be imprisoned for ten months.

notes possible site of a pele tower
Perriam, D R & Robinson, J: 1998: Medieval Fortified Buildings of Cumbria: CWAAS:: ISBN 1 873124 23 6; plan

button   Ravenstonedale Priory, Ravenstonedale
button   ring of bells, Grasmere
button   ring of bells, Kirkoswald
button   ring of bells, Ravenstonedale
button   St Oswald's Well, Kirkoswald
button   sundial, Dean
button   sundial, Kirkoswald
button   sundial, Ravenstonedale
button   war memorial, Burneside
button   war memorial, Dean
button   war memorial, Ravenstonedale

Old Cumbria Gazetteer - JandMN: 2013

button to lakes menu  Lakes Guides menu.

©  Martin and Jean Norgate: 2014
mailto button  email:- JandMN@norgate.freeserve.co.uk
button, online connection  Other projects

button, online connection  Geography Department, Portsmouth University