button to main menu   Old Cumbria Gazetteer
placename:- St Peter's Church
other name:- Asby Church
locality:- Great Asby
parish Asby parish, once in Westmorland
county:- Cumbria
coordinates:- NY68051322
10Km square:- NY61
References : 2005: Diocese of Carlisle, Directory 2004/5

1Km square NY6813


St Peter's Church -- Great Asby -- Asby -- Cumbria / -- 28.10.2005

St Peter's Church -- Great Asby -- Asby -- Cumbria / -- 3.8.2009

old map:- Nurse 1918

Map, The Diocese of Carlisle, Cumberland, Westmorland, and Lancashire North of the Sands, now Cumbria, scale about 4 miles to 1 inch, by Rev Euston J Nurse, published by Charles Thurnam and Sons, 11 English Street, Carlisle, Cumberland, 1918 and 2nd edn 1939.
thumbnail NUR1NY61, button to large image
United benefice with Ormside, but separate parish.
site name:- Appleby and Kirkby Stephen Rural Deanery
site name:- Archdeaconry of Carlisle
site name:- Diocese of Carlisle
date:- 1939
period:- 1930s

database:- Listed Buildings 2010

Listed Buildings 2010

courtesy of English Heritage
CHURCH OF ST PETER / / / ASBY / EDEN / CUMBRIA / II / 73240 / NY6805713232
courtesy of English Heritage
Parish Church. 1866 gothic revival rebuild by Hay. Coursed sandstone blocks with stepped buttressing. Graduated slate roofs (chancel lower) with stone copings and kneelers; bellcote to west end is supported on pointed arch carried between buttresses. Aisled nave and chancel. 3-bay nave has south aisle with 3-light trefoil-headed windows; other side windows and west window have 2 trefoil-headed lights, with quatrefoil between, under pointed containing arch. East window of 3 trefoil-headed lights has large multi-foil between. Gabled south porch has large foliate capitals to outer door jambs; architects' names are inscribed on soffit of pointed entrance arch. Internally, organ occupies west end. Cylindrical piers with foliate capitals carry south arcade of pointed, single chamfer, arches constructed of polychrome stone. Large demi-angel corbels carry similar moulded chancel arch. Angel musician corbels support nave roof. On south side of chancel 2 seater sedilia is combined with piscina; the 3 pointed arches have inner trefoil-heads and portrait bust labels. Polygonal stone pulpit on north side of nave has sculpted panels; octagonal font in south aisle is similar.

placename:- Church of St Peter
district:- Eden
listed building
coordinates:- NY68051323
date:- 2010
period:- 2010s

database:- Listed Buildings 2010

Listed Buildings 2010

courtesy of English Heritage
courtesy of English Heritage
Lych gate. 1866, probably by Hay (contemporary with church). Braced wooden uprights support hipped, graduated slate roof with open gablets surmounted by wrought-iron crosses to either end. Wooden gates have wrought-iron fittings. Included for group value.
district:- Eden
listed building -- lych gate
coordinates:- NY68021322
date:- 2010
period:- 2010s

Robert the Priest 1180 (before)
Adam, Parson de Asby 1200 (about)
Englishe, Richard le 1298
Brampton, William de 1298
Kaldersyke, William de 1319
Anandale, Thomas de 1345
Meburn, Stephen de 1374
Scott, Richard 1535
Kirkbride, Percival 1563
Barnes, John 1572
Fairfax, Thomas 1578
Dykes, Oswald 1593
Hudson, Gerard 1607
Dawes, Lancelot 1618
Fawcett, Thomas 1654
Theobold, George 1661
Fleming, Henry 1694
Borrow, Joshua 1728
Machell, Richard 1740
Roderick, David 1786
Atkinson, Hugh 1788
Guy, Henry 1834
Holme, Thomas R 1875
Hacon, James 1877
Ingham, Joseph 1886

tiny photograph, 
button to large St Peter's Church -- Great Asby -- Asby -- Cumbria / -- 3.8.2009

hearsay Bishop Nicholson, 1703:-
The two little bells hang in a Frame of Stone somewhat like that at Bowness.
New bells were cast by Murphy, Dublin, 1865.

tiny photograph, 
button to large St Peter's Church -- Great Asby -- Asby -- Cumbria / -- Organ, made by William Hill and Son, and Norman and Beard, London, 1918. -- 3.8.2009

Bishop Nicholson, 1703:-
The church was dismantled, furnishings moved temporarily to nearby house - some never to return. And was built anew in a gothic style at the expense of Miss Ann Newall Hill, 1861-66.
Lady Anne Pembroke gave a lock to the church 1670, inscribed:-
on its wooden case.
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Peter's Church -- Great Asby -- Asby -- Cumbria / -- Watercolour of the church, 1863. -- 3.8.2009

hearsay The present church was built 1864-65 on the site of earlier churches. Some furnishings were stored locally, some sold off some included in the new building. One item is the Lady Anne Clifford Lock, inscribed A P 1670, now kept in the rectory. She gave the lock in thanks for being given shelter from a storm at the rectory.

hearsay There is a note pertinent to rushbearing, in the churchwardens accounts 1706:-
Refreshments for rushbearers 3/-
Similar payments are recorded up to 1731.

button   gate, Heversham
button   ring of bells, Heversham
button   sundial, Askam and Ireleth
button   sundial, Great Asby
button   sundial, Heversham
button   war memorial, Heversham
button   war memorial, Mansergh

Old Cumbria Gazetteer - JandMN: 2013

button to lakes menu  Lakes Guides menu.

©  Martin and Jean Norgate: 2014
mailto button  email:- JandMN@norgate.freeserve.co.uk
button, online connection  Other projects

button, online connection  Geography Department, Portsmouth University