button to main menu   Old Cumbria Gazetteer
placename:- St Peter's Church
other name:- Martindale Church
locality:- Martindale
parish Martindale parish, once in Westmorland
county:- Cumbria
church
coordinates:- NY43591913
10Km square:- NY41
References : 2005: Diocese of Carlisle, Directory 2004/5

1Km square NY4319

photograph

St Peter's Church -- Martindale -- Martindale -- Cumbria / -- 20.10.2010
photograph

St Peter's Church -- Martindale -- Martindale -- Cumbria / -- 20.10.2010

old map:- Nurse 1918

Map, The Diocese of Carlisle, Cumberland, Westmorland, and Lancashire North of the Sands, now Cumbria, scale about 4 miles to 1 inch, by Rev Euston J Nurse, published by Charles Thurnam and Sons, 11 English Street, Carlisle, Cumberland, 1918 and 2nd edn 1939.
thumbnail NUR1NY41, button to large image
MARTINDALE
site name:- Penrith Rural Deanery
site name:- Archdeaconry of Carlisle
site name:- Diocese of Carlisle
date:- 1939
period:- 1930s

database:- Listed Buildings 2010

Listed Buildings 2010

courtesy of English Heritage
CHURCH OF ST PETER / / / MARTINDALE / EDEN / CUMBRIA / II / 74531 / NY4360919148
courtesy of English Heritage
Church. 1880-82. By J B Cory. Slate rubble with sandstone ashlar dressings and slate roof. Nave and chancel with south vestry. Coped gables; lancet windows. 3-bay nave has later deep weathered buttresses; south side has paired lancets, but eastern bay has single lancet; north side corresponds, with gabled porch to west, entrance of one order and inner chamfered arch, quatrefoil above has latters: "AoX" and date: 1897. West end has lancets flanking buttresses and gabled bell cote with louvred trefoil-headed opening. Chancel has gabled vestry with 2-light window and rounded under relieving arch; lean-to canopy over west entrance. 3 stepped lancets and basement entrance to east; lancet to south; lancet and triple lancets to north. Interior: roofs have deep-arch-brced collars; windows have segmental-pointed relieving arches. Plain round font has dog-tooth moulding; 3 coronae. Double-chamfered chancel arch dies into jambs. Traceried pulpit, reading desk, stalls, altar rail, east panelling with reredos under projecting cornice with creating. Recess to south has C17 style cupboard presented 1954. Chancel east window and lancet to north have late C19 decorative glass; other windows display notable collection of stained glass by Jane Gray, 1970s.

placename:- Church of St Peter
district:- Eden
listed building
coordinates:- NY43601914
date:- 2010
period:- 2010s

photographs
Most (all?) the stained glass is by Jane Gray, 1970s.
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Peter's Church -- Martindale -- Martindale -- Cumbria / -- 10.4.2013
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Peter's Church -- Martindale -- Martindale -- Cumbria / -- 10.4.2013
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Peter's Church -- Martindale -- Martindale -- Cumbria / -- 10.4.2013
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Peter's Church -- Martindale -- Martindale -- Cumbria / -- 'Jane Gray / 1972' -- 10.4.2013
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Peter's Church -- Martindale -- Martindale -- Cumbria / -- 'Jane / Gray / 1977' -- 10.4.2013
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Peter's Church -- Martindale -- Martindale -- Cumbria / -- 10.4.2013
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Peter's Church -- Martindale -- Martindale -- Cumbria / -- 10.4.2013

photographs
Commemorating Elizabeth II; accession 1952 and jubilee 1977.
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Peter's Church -- Martindale -- Martindale -- Cumbria / -- 10.4.2013
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Peter's Church -- Martindale -- Martindale -- Cumbria / -- 10.4.2013
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Peter's Church -- Martindale -- Martindale -- Cumbria / -- 10.4.2013

photographs
St Cecilia is the patron saint of music.
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Peter's Church -- Martindale -- Martindale -- Cumbria / -- stained glass, to St Cecilia -- 10.4.2013
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Peter's Church -- Martindale -- Martindale -- Cumbria / -- stained glass, to St Cecilia -- 10.4.2013

photographs
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Peter's Church -- Martindale -- Martindale -- Cumbria / -- 6.7.2009
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Peter's Church -- Martindale -- Martindale -- Cumbria / -- Needlework map of the path from Howtown to St Peter's. -- 20.10.2010
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Peter's Church -- Martindale -- Martindale -- Cumbria / -- Plaque over the porch:- -- '8 / 1 Ao X 7 / 9' -- 6.7.2009
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Peter's Church -- Martindale -- Martindale -- Cumbria / -- A humble boot scraper. -- 6.7.2009

hearsay The new church was given by Anthony Parkin of Sharrow Bay and W H Parkin of Ravencragg, Martindale, built by Edward Peel, Patterdale, 1880-82

button   gate, Heversham
button   ring of bells, Heversham
button   sundial, Askam and Ireleth
button   sundial, Great Asby
button   sundial, Heversham
button   war memorial, Heversham
button   war memorial, Mansergh

Old Cumbria Gazetteer - JandMN: 2013

button to lakes menu  Lakes Guides menu.

©  Martin and Jean Norgate: 2014
mailto button  email:- JandMN@norgate.freeserve.co.uk
button, online connection  Other projects

button, online connection  Geography Department, Portsmouth University