button to main menu   Old Cumbria Gazetteer
placename:- Station, The
other name:- Claife Station
other name:- Claife Viewing Station
site name:- Windermere Ferry
parish Claife parish, once in Lancashire
county:- Cumbria
viewpoint; station; building/s
coordinates:- SD38859547
10Km square:- SD39

1Km square SD3895

photograph

Station, The -- Windermere Ferry -- Claife -- Cumbria / -- 12.5.2008
photograph

Station, The -- Windermere Ferry -- Claife -- Cumbria / -- 27.1.2012

old text:- Matthew 1866

Guide book, The English Lakes, Peaks and Passes, from Kendal to Keswick, by George King Matthew, published by J Richardson, Highgate, Kendal, Westmorland, 1866.
p.19:-
... let us take a trip to the Ferry Hotel and "The Station." The landing-place for passengers at the ferry is facing the hotel, where stands a row of tall plane-trees with their shadows reflected in the translucent lake. Beyond the avenue of trees, on the right hand, pass through the little gate into a private cart road; and a few steps further on is the high road; then turn to your right, and you will see a pair of gates on the left, which is the lodge-entrance to the Summer House Station. Take the footpath which goes winding away amid fir, wild-cherry, and large laurel trees, to the Summer House, an octagon building one storey high, with an embattled arch stretching away to the left, the property of Mr. Curwen, of Belle Isle, who kindly permits visitors to enter. On gaining the hall, and passing up a wide staircase on the left, we pass into a room with double glass windows which are coloured to represent the seasons, and looking out of these from this little fairy retreat we behold some of the most enchanting and illusive scenes of Summer, Spring, Autumn, and Winter presented to the eye. One masks the lake in the soft beauty of monlight; another a dark storm difficult to describe; while in
p.20:-
the winter scene the house-top on the opposite shore, looks as if it were covered with snow. From another pane is embodied the glories of summer. Evening is the best time to view from it, just before the clouds put on their ruddy burning tinges. Water, earth, and air are bathed in beauty as cirrus-clouds hang on the upper region of the atmosphere, chequered by the bending blue of space. The tone of the whole subject is a beautiful subdued harmony of the scenery around this delightful part of the lake. There is a melting and graceful beauty which charms into perfect repose, as the gazer involuntary sympathises with the listless happy rowers in the boats. The whole atmosphere breathes heat, and the golden sky is reflected back from the gently rippling water in blended beauty; the snow-white sails of the graceful yachts are tinged by the beams of the drooping god of day, and scarcely swell to the zephyr. ...

placename:- Summer House Station
summer house
date:- 1866
period:- 19th century, late; 1860s

source:- Martineau 1855

Guide book, A Complete Guide to the English Lakes, by Harriet Martineau, published by John Garnett, Windermere, Westmorland, and by Whittaker and Co, London, 1855; published 1855-71.
Page 30:-
... Station House, which he must have seen from the opposite side of the lake, peeping out of the ever-green woods. There he obtains fine views, up and down the lake, and may mark, on the way up, the largest laurels he has ever seen. His driver, or some resident, will probably take care that he does not stay till it is more than reasonably dusk. ...

placename:- Station House
date:- 1855
period:- 19th century, late; 1850s

descriptive text:- Ford 1839 (3rd edn 1843)

Description of Scenery in the Lake District, by William Ford, published by Charles Thurnham, London, et al, 1839; published 1839-52.
Page 29:-
...
On a hill above the Ferry is the Station House;
Page 30:-
its windows are filled with glass, coloured so as to represent the landscape as it appears at the different seasons of the year. The lake is here seen at your feet, Curwen and all the islands studding its waters - the wooded parks and uplands of Troutbeck and Applethwaite - Hill Bell and High Street terminating the prospect. The view to the southward is a great contrast to this. Here the promontories of Rawlinson's Nab and Storrs Hall push boldly into the waste of waters, while the well-wooded but moderate heights of Gunner's How and Fell Foot close the distance.
Page 158:-
...
... Above the inn [Ferry House] is a pleasure-house, called the Station, whence some exquisite views are to be had.

placename:- Station, House
other name:- Station, The
date:- 1839
period:- 19th century, early; 1830s

descriptive text:- Otley 1823 (5th edn 1834)

Guidebook, Concise Description of the English Lakes, later A Description of the English Lakes, by Jonathan Otley, published by the author, Keswick, Cumberland, by J Richardson, London, and by Arthur Foster, Kirky Lonsdale, Cumbria, 1823 onwards.
image OT01P004, button   goto source.
Page 4:-
...
The Station, belonging to Mr. Curwen, is a building erected upon a rocky eminence above the Ferry house. The path leading to it is decorated with native and exotic trees and shrubs; the upper story commands extensive views of the lake and
image OT01P005, button   goto source.
Page 5:-
surrounding scenery: and the windows, being partly of stained glass, give a good representation of the manner in which the landscape would be affected in different seasons. The view towards the north has every essential for a beautiful landscape; a bold foreground, a fine sheet of water graced with islands, the large one of Mr. Curwen, with its dome-topped building, being a principal feature; the village of Bowness, the mansions placed at various points, the rich woods, and distant mountains, all contribute to enrich the scene. Towards its foot, the shores of the lake appear beautifully broken, by several promontories stretching far into the water from each side.
...
image OT01P100, button   goto source.
... passing beneath the station, which is built upon a rock, tastefully ornamented with evergreens and flowering shrubs, and may be visited by the way. ...
person:- : Curwen, Mr
date:- 1823
period:- 19th century, early; 1820s

old print:- Fielding and Walton 1821 (plate 10)

Set of prints, Picturesque Tour of the English Lakes, illustrated with hand coloured aquatints by Theodore Henry Fielding and John Walton, published by R Ackermann, 101 Strand, London, 1821.
thumbnail FW0110, button to large image
Print, coloured aquatint, Station on Windermere, ie The Station, Claife, Lancashire, drawn by John Walton, published by R Ackermann, 101 Strand, London, 1821.
Tipped in opposite p.38 in A Picturesque Tour of the English Lakes.

placename:- Station
date:- 1821
period:- 19th century, early

old map:- Cooke 1802 -- probably relevant

Maps, Westmoreland, Cumberland, etc, now Cumbria, by George Alexander Cooke, London, 1802-10; published 1802-24.
thumbnail GRA1Lk, button to large image
Mr Wests Station
county:- Lancashire
date:- 1802
period:- 19th century, early; 1800s

old map:- West 1784 map

A Map of the Lakes in Cumberland, Westmorland and Lancashire, now Cumbria, scale about 3.5 miles to 1 inch, engraved by Paas, 53 Holborn, London, included in the Guide to the Lakes by Thomas West, published by William Pennington, Kendal, Westmorland, and in London, from the 3rd edition 1784, to 1821.
The Station
image Ws02SD39, button   goto source.
thumbnail Ws02SD39, button to large image

placename:- Station, The
house
county:- Lancashire

old map:- Crosthwaite 1783-94 (Win/Ble)

Series of maps, An Accurate Map of the Matchless Lake of Derwent, of the Grand Lake of Windermere, of the Beautiful Lake of Ullswater, of Broadwater or Bassenthwaite Lake, of Coniston Lake, of Buttermere, Crummock and Loweswater Lakes, and Pocklington's Island, by Peter Crosthwaite, Kendal, Cumberland now Cumbria, 1783 to 1794.
thumbnail CT9SD39X, button to large image
Wests First Station,
square symbol
date:- 1783=1794
period:- 18th century, late; 1780s; 1790s

old map:- Crosthwaite 1783-94 (Win/Ble)

Series of maps, An Accurate Map of the Matchless Lake of Derwent, of the Grand Lake of Windermere, of the Beautiful Lake of Ullswater, of Broadwater or Bassenthwaite Lake, of Coniston Lake, of Buttermere, Crummock and Loweswater Lakes, and Pocklington's Island, by Peter Crosthwaite, Kendal, Cumberland now Cumbria, 1783 to 1794.
marked on the map of lake Windermere, west shore above the ferry landing
West's First Station ...

other name:- station, Windermere, West 1
coordinates:- SD398954
date:- 1783
period:- 18th century, late; 1780s

descriptive text:- West 1778 (11th edn 1821)

Guide book, A Guide to the Lakes, by Thomas West, published by William Pennington, Kendal, Cumbria once Westmorland, and in London, 1778 to 1821.
image WS21P057, button   goto source.
Page 57:-
STATION I [Windermere], near the isthmus of the ferry point [1]. In front, Rampsholme, or Berkshire-island, presents itself in all its length, clothed in wood. To the left, the ferry point closing with Crow-holme, a wooded island, forms a fine promontory. Just behind this, the mountain retiring inward, makes a semi-circular bay, surrounded by a few acres of the most elegant verdure, sloping upwards from the water's edge, graced with a cottage in the finest point of view. Above it, the mountain rises in an agreeable wildness, variegated with scattered trees, and silver-grey rocks. An extent of water of twelve miles in circum-
[1] This station is now sufficiently pointed out by the elegant building lately erected thereon, belonging to John Christian Curwen, Esq. and called THE STATION, which, with the improvements made in the Ferry-house Inn, and grounds adjoining, render it one of the most delightful places near the lakes.
image WS21P058, button   goto source.
Page 58:-
[circum]ference, spreads itself to the north, frequently intersected with promontories, or spotted with islands. Amongst them, the Holme, or Great Island, an oblong tract of thirty acres, traverses the lake in an oblique line, surrounded by a number of inferior isles, finely formed and dressed in wood. The pointed dark rocks of Curlew-craggs appear above the water, and others just concealed, give a sable hue to that part of the lake. Rough-holme, is a circular isle, covered with trees. Lady-holme, where in ancient times stood an oratory, is an isle of an oval form, vested with coppice-wood. Hen-holme is a rock covered with shrubs. Grass-holme is shaded with a grove of oaks. And two smaller islets borrow their names form the lilies of the valley, which decorate them. These with Crow-holme and Berkshire island, form this Archipelago.
To the north of this magnificent scene, a glorious sheet of water expands itself to the right and left, in curves bearing from the eye; bounded on the west by the continuation of the mountain where you stand, whose bold lofty side is embellished with growing trees, shrubs, and coarse vegetation, intermixed with grey rocks, that group finely with the deep green of yews and hollies. The eastern view is a noble contrast to this, adorned with
image WS21P059, button   goto source.
Page 59:-
all that is beautiful, grand and sublime.- The immediate space is much cultivated, (sic) The variety of hanging grounds are immense, consisting of woods, groves, and inclosures, all terminated in rocky woodlands of various forms. It spreads above in a beautiful variety of waving inclosures, intermixed with hanging woods, and shrubby circular spots, over-topped with wild grounds and rocky ridges of broken mountains. In some places it swells into spacious bays, fringed with trees, whose bushy heads wave beautifully over the crystal waters. The parsonage-house is seen sweetly seated under a range of tall firs. Following the same line of shore, above the east, ferry point, and on the banks of the bay, the tops of the houses and the church of Bowness are just seen. Above that, Bannerigg and Orresthead rise gradually into points, cultivated to the top, and cut into inclosures. These are contrasted by the rugged craggs of Biscot-how. Troutbeck-park comes next in view, and over that, Hill-bell rears its conic top, and Fair-field swells in Alpine pride, rivalled only by Rydal's loftier head.
The eastern coast, to the south of what has been described, is still more pleasing in variety of little groves, interposed inclosures, and scattered houses, sweetly secreted. To
image WS21P060, button   goto source.
Page 60:-
the south, and from the western coast, at three miles distance, Rawlinson's nab, a high-crowned promontory, shoots far into the lake; and from the opposite shore, you see the Storrs, another wooded promontory, stretching far into the water, pointing at the rocky isle of Ling-holme. Over Rawlinson's nab, the lake spreads out in a magnificent sheet of water; and following the winding shore far to the south, it seems lost hehind (sic) a promontory on the eastern side. Over two woody mountains, Park and Landen-nab, the blue summits of other distant mountains in various forms, close the scene.

other name:- station, Windermere, West 1
person:- : Curwen, John Christian
date:- 1778
period:- 18th century, late; 1770s

database:- Listed Buildings 2010

Listed Buildings 2010

courtesy of English Heritage
THE STATION / / B 5285 / CLAIFE / SOUTH LAKELAND / CUMBRIA / II / 76726 / SD3883895472
courtesy of English Heritage
Viewing station. Late C18. Stone rubble. 2 storeys, with canted bays to front and rear, and embattled parapet. Now ruinous, the front wall collapsed. lst floor sill band, some slate hanging remains to rear. Large window openings to 1st floor of returns and narrow opening to remaining part of front wall. Lower recesses to ground floor of returns. Rear has canted bay with entrance and 1st floor window opening with flanking blind windows; narrow window openings to either side, with slate hanging to remains of parapet. Wall connects station with rock outcrop to rear, with round-headed archway and round-headed opening with foundations of structure to rear. Interior has remains of cross walls, rear gabled wall with stack and fireplace. Vaulted chamber to ground floor, rear canted bay has stone flying stair with moulded treads. The Station was used as a viewing point for Lake Windermere at the time when picturesque principles suggested that landscape should be viewed from certain points only, where the elements of scenery were most pictorial, and is associated with the early tourist industry. Property of The National Trust.

placename:- Station, The
district:- South Lakeland
listed building
coordinates:- SD38839547
date:- 2010
period:- 2010s

hearsay You could visit this station, turn your back to the view, hold up your landscape mirror, and see the view through coloroured glass windows. There was yellow glass for a golden summer glow; orange glass for autumn tints; pale green for springtime; pale blue for winter shivers; dark blue to simulate a moonlit scene; lilac for a mock thunder storm.
The building, erected 1790s, is near to Thomas West's chosen viewpoint.

Old Cumbria Gazetteer - JandMN: 2013

button to lakes menu  Lakes Guides menu.

©  Martin and Jean Norgate: 2014
mailto button  email:- JandMN@norgate.freeserve.co.uk
button, online connection  Other projects

button, online connection  Geography Department, Portsmouth University