button to main menu   Old Cumbria Gazetteer
placename:- Whitehaven and Furness Junction Railway
other name:- Cumbrian Coast Line
parish Whitehaven borough, once in Cumberland
parish St Bees parish, once in Cumberland
parish Lowside Quarter parish, once in Cumberland
parish St Bridget Beckermet parish, once in Cumberland
parish Ponsonby parish, once in Cumberland
parish Seascale parish, once in Cumberland
parish Drigg and Carleton parish, once in Cumberland
parish Muncaster parish, once in Cumberland
parish Waberthwaite parish, once in Cumberland
parish Bootle parish, once in Cumberland
parish Whicham parish, once in Cumberland
parish Millom Without parish, once in Cumberland
parish Broughton West parish, once in Lancashire
county:- Cumbria
railway
from Whitehaven, through Corkickle, St Bees, Nethertown, Braystones, Sellafield, Seascale, Drigg, Ravenglass, Eskmeals, Bootle, Silecroft, Millom, Green Road, Cumberland; to Foxfield on the Furness Railway, Lancashire, 1849. Extension from Corkickle to join the Whitehaven Junction Railway, 1852.
References

imageRWY014.jpg

photograph

Whitehaven and Furness Junction Railway -- Whitehaven and St Bees etc -- Cumbria / -- 18.4.2006

old map:- Garnett 1850s-60s H

Map of the English Lakes, scale about 3.5 miles to 1 inch, published by John Garnett, Windermere, Westmorland, 1850s-60s.
thumbnail GAR2NX91, button to large image
triple line, light bold light, railway
thumbnail GAR2NX90, button to large image
thumbnail GAR2NY00, button to large image
thumbnail GAR2SD09, button to large image
thumbnail GAR2SD19, button to large image
thumbnail GAR2SD18, button to large image
Whitehaven & Furness Junction Raily.
thumbnail GAR2SD28, button to large image
date:- 1850=1869
period:- 19th century, late; 1850s; 1860s

old map:- Railway Clearing House 1914

Book, reproduction railway maps, Pre Grouping Railway Junction Diagrams 1914, published by Ian Allan, London, late 20th century? originally published by the Railway Clearing House, London, 1914?
FURNESS
FURNESS

placename:- Furness Railway
date:- 1914
period:- 1910s

old print:-
thumbnail PR0572, button to large image
Print, uncoloured engraving, Saint Bees, Cumberland, drawn by R Shepherd, published 1850s-60s.
Notice the Whitehaven and Furness Junction Railway.
printed at bottom:-
SAINT BEES
date:- 1850=1869
period:- 19th century, late

hearsay 33 3/4 miles.
An early plan went from Millom Station, across the 1 1/4 mile Duddon estuary by viaduct, to join the Furness railway south of Kirkby.
New powers were acquired, 1865, for a line from Millom across the Duddon estuary to a junction with the Furness Railway at Askam, and then straight across to Lindal. This never hapenned; the FR took over in 1865. A contractor had started work on the new viaduct, materials onsite, etc by 1867.

goes through
mapping:- Preston Street Goods, Whitehaven
Corkickle No.2 Junction, Whitehaven
Mirehouse Junction, Whitehaven
level crossing, St Bees
St Bees Station, St Bees
Nethertown Station, Lowside Quarter
railway bridge, Nethertown
Braystones Station, Lowside Quarter
Sellafield Junction, St Bridget Beckermet
Sellafield Station, St Bridget Beckermet
Calder Viaduct, St Bridget Beckermet
railway bridge, Seascale
Seascale Station, Seascale
railway bridge, Seascale (2)
railway bridge, Whitriggs
coal depot, Drigg and Carleton
Drigg Station, Drigg and Carleton
Irt Viaduct, Drigg and Carleton
railway bridge, Drigg and Carleton
level crossing, Saltcoats
railway viaduct, Ravenglass
railway bridge, Ravenglass
Ravenglass Station, Muncaster
Eskmeals Viaduct, Waberthwaite
Eskmeals Station, Bootle
Bootle Station, Bootle
Whitbeck Crossing, Whitbeck
Silecroft Station, Millom Without
level crossing, Millom Without
accomodation crossing, Kirksanton
lineside hut, Kirksanton
Kirksanton Crossing, Kirksanton
railway bridge, Millom (2)
accomodation crossing, Millom
signal box, Millom
railway bridge, Millom
Millom Station, Millom
railway milepost, Millom
Millom Junction, Millom
level crossing, Millom Without (2)
level crossing, Underhill
Underhill Station, Millom Without
Green Road Station, Millom Without
railway bridge, Green Road
Duddon Viaduct, Broughton West
engine shed, Foxfield
Foxfield Junction, Broughton West
21.7.1845: incorporated
1849=1850: opened

goes through
mapping:- Corkickle No.2 Junction, Whitehaven
Corkickle Station, Whitehaven
Whitehaven Tunnel, Whitehaven
Whitehaven Station, Whitehaven
Bransty Junction, Whitehaven
1855: opened, passengers

Old Cumbria Gazetteer - JandMN: 2013

button to lakes menu  Lakes Guides menu.

©  Martin and Jean Norgate: 2014
mailto button  email:- JandMN@norgate.freeserve.co.uk
button, online connection  Other projects

button, online connection  Geography Department, Portsmouth University