button to main menu   Old Cumbria Gazetteer
placename:- Ulverston to Coniston
other name:- Coniston to Ulverston
locality:- Ulverston
parish Ulverston parish, once in Lancashire
county:- Cumbria
route
locality:- Coniston
parish Coniston parish, once in Lancashire
county:- Cumbria
route
road code:- Ulvr=Cnst

descriptive text:- Ford 1839 (3rd edn 1843)

Description of Scenery in the Lake District, by William Ford, published by Charles Thurnham, London, et al, 1839; published 1839-52.
Page 8:-
...
From Ulverstone, ... there are to Coniston two roads, uniting at Lowick bridge. The road by Lowick village is along a narrow vale, with hanging enclosures and scattered farm-houses, from which there is a distant view of Coniston Water winding round the mountain foot in a north-eastern direction; a low sweep of dark rocks is seen over its surface, and the whole range of the fells above. The road by Pennybridge presents no distant prospects, but the village and bridge, the thick woods, and the Man-mountain, ten miles off, form an agreeable combination. ...
Page 157:-
...
V. ULVERSTON TO BOWNESS, BY CONISTON.- 24½ M.
date:- 1839
period:- 19th century, early; 1830s

descriptive text:- Otley 1823 (5th edn 1834)

Guidebook, Concise Description of the English Lakes, later A Description of the English Lakes, by Jonathan Otley, published by the author, Keswick, Cumberland, by J Richardson, London, and by Arthur Foster, Kirky Lonsdale, Cumbria, 1823 onwards.
image OT01P096, button   goto source.
Page 96:-
On leaving Ulverston for the lakes, the road generally preferred leads by Lowick Chapel, where there is a good view of Coniston Lake, with the mountains at its head, and Helvellyn in the distance; and after crossing Lowick Bridge, it proceeds up the eastern side of the lake to Waterhead Inn, distant from Ulverston 14 miles.
date:- 1823
period:- 19th century, early; 1820s

descriptive text:- West 1778 (11th edn 1821)

Guide book, A Guide to the Lakes, by Thomas West, published by William Pennington, Kendal, Cumbria once Westmorland, and in London, 1778 to 1821.
image WS21P046, button   goto source.
Page 46:-
CONISTON.
From Ulverston to Coniston-water is eight miles, either by Penny-bridge or by Lowick, both excellent carriage roads. By Lowick the road is along a narrow vale, beautifully divided by hanging inclosures and scattered farms, half way up the mountains' sides, whose various heads are covered with heath and brown vegetation. About three miles from Ulverston, observe a farm house on the left, and a group of houses before you on the right. - Stop at the gate on the brow of the hill, and have a distant view of the lake, finely intersected with high crowned peninsulas. At the upper end, a snow white house is seen, under a hanging wood, and to the north east, the lake seems to wind round the mountains' feet. The whole range of Coniston-fells is now in sight, and under them a lower sweep of dark rocks frown over the crystal surface of the lake. Advancing on the left see Lowick-hall, once the seat of a family of that name. Behind this a dismal scene of barrenness presents itself; clustered
image WS21P047, button   goto source.
Page 47:-
grey rocky mountains, variegated with some few stripes of heath. After crossing the outlet of the lake, at Lowick-bridge, these dreary objects are found often intersepted by pieces of arable ground, hanging sweetly to the east, and prettily situated under ancient oaks, or venerable yews. The white houses in these parts, covered with blue slate, have a neat appearance. The thatched cot is esteemed a more picturesque object; and yet the other kind, seen under a deep green wood, or covered with a purple back-ground of heath, has a pleasing effect.
Reach the south end of the lake. Here it is narrowed by the rocky prominences from both, sides, forming between their curvatures a variety of pretty bays. The whole length of the lake is about six measured miles; and the greatest breadth about three quarters of a mile. The greatest depth, by report, exceeds not forty fathoms. A little higher the broadest part commences, and stretches, with small curvatures, to Water-head. The shores are frequently indented; and one pretty bay opens after another in a variety of forms.
date:- 1778
period:- 18th century, late; 1770s

route parts
mapping:- road, Newby Bridge to Ulverston
road, Greenodd to Torver
road, Broughton to Coniston

places
mapping:- Ulverston
Gawthaite, Blawith and Subberthwaite
Lowick
Torver
Coniston

route parts
mapping:- road, Lowick to Hawkshead

Old Cumbria Gazetteer - JandMN: 2013

button to lakes menu  Lakes Guides menu.

©  Martin and Jean Norgate: 2014
mailto button  email:- JandMN@norgate.freeserve.co.uk
button, online connection  Other projects

button, online connection  Geography Department, Portsmouth University