button to main menu   Old Cumbria Gazetteer
place:- Blawith Church
locality:- Blawith
parish Blawith and Subberthwaite parish, once in Lancashire
county:- Cumbria
church
coordinates:- SD28838822
10Km square:- SD28
References Nurse 1918

1Km square SD2888

photograph

church, Blawith -- Blawith -- Blawith and Subberthwaite -- Cumbria / -- 13.8.2010
photograph

church, Blawith -- Blawith -- Blawith and Subberthwaite -- Cumbria / -- 13.8.2010

source:- OS County Series (Lan 7)

County Series maps of Great Britain, scales 6 and 25 inches to 1 mile, published by the Ordnance Survey, Southampton, Hampshire, from about 1863 to 1948.
Blawith Church (Per Curacy)

placename:- Blawith Church
church
date:- 1847=1851
period:- 19th century, late; 1840s; 1850s

old map:- Nurse 1918

Map, The Diocese of Carlisle, Cumberland, Westmorland, and Lancashire North of the Sands, now Cumbria, scale about 4 miles to 1 inch, by Rev Euston J Nurse, published by Charles Thurnam and Sons, 11 English Street, Carlisle, Cumberland, 1918 and 2nd edn 1939.
thumbnail NUR1SD28, button to large image
BLAWITH
United benefice with Lowick.
site name:- Ulverston Rural Deanery
site name:- Archdeaconry of Furness
site name:- Diocese of Carlisle
date:- 1939
period:- 1930s

old map:- Garnett 1850s-60s H

Map of the English Lakes, scale about 3.5 miles to 1 inch, published by John Garnett, Windermere, Westmorland, 1850s-60s.
thumbnail GAR2SD28, button to large image
cross, a church
date:- 1850=1869
period:- 19th century, late; 1850s; 1860s

database:- Listed Buildings 2010

Listed Buildings 2010

courtesy of English Heritage
RUINS OF FORMER CHURCH OF ST JOHN / / A 5084 / BLAWITH AND SUBBERTHWAITE / SOUTH LAKELAND / CUMBRIA / II / 76712 / SD2881688227
courtesy of English Heritage
Remains of church. C16, rebuilt 1749. Stone rubble. Walls remain to height of 3 to 6m. Rectangular plan with small structure to west end. Lower part of window openings, one to east end, 4 to north side, entrance to south side. West end has blocked opening, short projecting wall with return with jamb stones; footings of building to north of this.

placename:- St John's Church
other name:- Church of St John
district:- South Lakeland
listed building
coordinates:- SD28818822
date:- 2010
period:- 2010s

Old Cumbria Gazetteer - JandMN: 2013

button to lakes menu  Lakes Guides menu.

©  Martin and Jean Norgate: 2014
mailto button  email:- JandMN@norgate.freeserve.co.uk
button, online connection  Other projects

button, online connection  Geography Department, Portsmouth University