button to main menu   Old Cumbria Gazetteer
placename:- St Lawrence Chapel
parish Broughton parish, once in Cumberland
county:- Cumbria
church
coordinates:- NY060304
10Km square:- NY03

1Km square NY0630

old map:- OS County Series (Cmd 54 1)

County Series maps of Great Britain, scales 6 and 25 inches to 1 mile, published by the Ordnance Survey, Southampton, Hampshire, from about 1863 to 1948.
St Lawrence Chapel / (Site of)

placename:- St Lawrence Chapel
date:- 1890=1899
period:- 19th century, late; 1890s

old map:- Bowen and Kitchin 1760

The place plotted is Ribton Hall; the error derives from Speed 1611.
New Map of the Counties of Cumberland and Westmoreland, scale about 4 miles to 1 inch, Emanuel Bowen and Thomas Kitchin, published by T Bowles, John Bowles and Son, Robert Sayer, and John Tinney, 1760; published 1760-87.
thumbnail BO18NY02, button to large image
St Lawrence
circle

placename:- St Lawrence
date:- 1760
period:- 18th century, late; 1760s

old map:- Morden 1695 (Cmd)

Robert Morden has copied a muddle from John Speed: the unlabelled village is St Lawrence; the circle, labelled St Lawrence is Ribton; the village labelled Ribton is Camerton; the village labelled Camerton shouldn't be there (or is Broughton Moor).
Maps, Westmorland, scale about 2.5 miles to 1 inch, and Cumberland, scale about 3 miles to 1 inch, by Robert Morden, 1695.
image MD12NY03, button   goto source.
thumbnail MD12NY03, button to large image
Circle, building and tower, unlabelled.
county:- Cumberland
date:- 1695
period:- 17th century, late; 1690s

old map:- Jansson 1646

Ribton Hall is labelled St Lawrance; St Lawrance is the unlabelled place to the SE.
Map, Cumbria et Westmoria, or Cumberland and Westmorland, scale about 3.5 miles to 1 inch, by John Jansson, Amsterdam, Netherlands, 1646; published 1646-1724.
thumbnail JAN3NY03, button to large image
S. Lawrance
Buildings and tower.

placename:- St Lawrance
county:- Cumberland
date:- 1646
period:- 17th century, early; 1640s

old map:- Speed 1611 (Cmd)

Ribton Hall is labelled St Lawrance; St Lawrance isn't labelled, in the bend of the river.
Maps, The Countie Westmorland and Kendale the Cheif Towne, scale about 3.5 miles to 1 inch, and Cumberland and the Ancient Citie Carlile, scale about 4 miles to 1 inch, by John Speed, London, 1611; published 1611-1770.
thumbnail SP11NY02, button to large image
S. Lawrance
circle, tower AND circle, building, tower; at confluence of Marron and Derwent

placename:- St Lawrance
date:- 1611
period:- 17th century, early; 1610s

old map:- Saxton 1579

image Sax9NY03, button   goto source.
thumbnail Sax9NY03, button to large image
Church, symbol for a parish or village, with a parish church.
Sct: Lawrance

placename:- St Lawrance
county:- Cumberlandia
village
date:- 1576
period:- 16th century, late; 1570s

Old Cumbria Gazetteer - JandMN: 2013

button to lakes menu  Lakes Guides menu.

©  Martin and Jean Norgate: 2014
mailto button  email:- JandMN@norgate.freeserve.co.uk
button, online connection  Other projects

button, online connection  Geography Department, Portsmouth University