button to main menu   Old Cumbria Gazetteer
placename:- College, The
other name:- Kirkoswald College ?
locality:- Kirkoswald
parish Kirkoswald parish, once in Cumberland
county:- Cumbria
building/s
coordinates:- NY55474109
10Km square:- NY54

1Km square NY5541

photograph

College, The -- Kirkoswald -- Kirkoswald -- Cumbria / -- Gate to The College. -- 29.4.2011

road book:- Cary 1798 (2nd edn 1802)

Road book, Cary's New Itinerary, by John Cary, published by G and J Cary, 86 St James's Street, London, 1798-1828.
thumbnail C38319, button to large image
page 319-320
At Kirkoswald on l. is the College, C. Featherstonhaugh, Esq.

placename:- College, The
person:- : Featherstonhaugh, C
date:- 1802
period:- 19th century, early; 1800s

old text:- Camden 1789 (Gough Additions)

Britannia, or A Chorographical Description of the Flourishing Kingdoms of England, Scotland, and Ireland, by William Camden, 1586, translated from the 1607 Latin edition by Richard Gough, published London, 1789.
Page 190:-
...
"... and quondam college: now the noble mansion-house of the late sir Timothy Fetherstonhaugh, colonel of the king's side, taken at Wigan when the late lord Witherington was slain. Sir Timothy was taken prisoner and excuted by beheading at Chester, by the command of the unworthy col. Mitton, after the said knight had quarter given him. ...
Page 191:-
...
The Fetherstonhaughs were a Northumberland family, whose antient seat was at a place of that name. Their house, it is said, was formerly on a hill (where are two stones called Fether stones), and was moated about for defence against the Scots. But, upon the ruin of this, the house was afterwards built in the holme or valley under the hill, which they there call haugh, and the family writ their names de Fetherston, and sometimes de Fetherstonhaugh. They first came to Kirk Oswald in the beginning of the last century, where they yet continue.
person:- : Fetherstonhaugh, Timothy, Sir
person:- : Mitton, Colonel
date:- 1789
period:- 18th century, late; 1780s
event:- war : Civil War

old plan:-
thumbnail PR1554, button to large image
Plan, uncoloured lithograph, The College, Kirkoswald, Cumberland, published by Cumberland and Westmorland Antiquarian and Archaeological Society, Kendal, Westmorland, 1914.
With an article about the Fetherstonhaugh Family and The College, by Mrs Fetherstonhaugh and F Haswell.
printed at upper centre:-
THE COLLEGE, KIRKOSWALD

placename:- College, The
date:- 1912
period:- 1910s

map:- see:- : 1954: Monastic Britain: Ordnance Survey


database:- Listed Buildings 2010

courtesy of English Heritage
THE COLLEGE AND ADJOINING UNNAMED HOUSE / / / KIRKOSWALD / EDEN / CUMBRIA / II / 73496 / NY5970443520

placename:- College
district:- Eden
listed building
coordinates:- NY59704352
date:- 2010
period:- 2010s

database:- Listed Buildings 2010

courtesy of English Heritage
THE COLLEGE FLAT, SOUTH OF THE COLLEGE / / / KIRKOSWALD / EDEN / CUMBRIA / II / 73483 / NY5548141093

placename:- College Flat
district:- Eden
listed building
coordinates:- NY55484109
date:- 2010
period:- 2010s

database:- Listed Buildings 2010

courtesy of English Heritage
THE COLLEGE / / / KIRKOSWALD / EDEN / CUMBRIA / I / 73482 / NY5545641109

placename:- College, The
district:- Eden
listed building
coordinates:- NY55454110
date:- 2010
period:- 2010s

database:- Listed Buildings 2010

courtesy of English Heritage
ENTRANCE GATEWAY SOUTH EAST OF THE COLLEGE / / / KIRKOSWALD / EDEN / CUMBRIA / II / 73485 / NY5548841066
district:- Eden
listed building -- gateway
coordinates:- NY55484106
date:- 2010
period:- 2010s

database:- Listed Buildings 2010

courtesy of English Heritage
STABLE BLOCK SOUTH OF THE COLLEGE / / / KIRKOSWALD / EDEN / CUMBRIA / II / 73484 / NY5546541082
district:- Eden
listed building -- stable
coordinates:- NY55464108
date:- 2010
period:- 2010s

database:- Listed Buildings 2010

courtesy of English Heritage
TERRACE WALL AND STEPS WEST OF THE COLLEGE / / / KIRKOSWALD / EDEN / CUMBRIA / II / 73486 / NY5544041103
district:- Eden
listed building
coordinates:- NY55444110
date:- 2010
period:- 2010s

hearsay The house was established as a college for priests in 1523. It is built onto a pele tower. After The Dissolution the College was the home of the Fetherstonhaugh Family.

notes 15th century tower included in the later building
Perriam, D R & Robinson, J: 1998: Medieval Fortified Buildings of Cumbria: CWAAS:: ISBN 1 873124 23 6; plan and illustration

button   fence, Lowther

Old Cumbria Gazetteer - JandMN: 2013

button to lakes menu  Lakes Guides menu.

©  Martin and Jean Norgate: 2014
mailto button  email:- JandMN@norgate.freeserve.co.uk
button, online connection  Other projects

button, online connection  Geography Department, Portsmouth University