button to main menu   Old Cumbria Gazetteer
place:- Colthouse Meeting House
place:- Hawkshead Meeting House
locality:- Colthouse
parish Claife parish, once in Lancashire
county:- Cumbria
meeting house; quaker meeting
coordinates:- SD35899817
10Km square:- SD39
References Butler 1978

1Km square SD3598

photograph

meeting house, Colthouse -- Colthouse -- Claife -- Cumbria / -- 30.3.2010
photograph

meeting house, Colthouse -- Colthouse -- Claife -- Cumbria / -- Date stone:- -- '1688' -- 30.3.2010

source:- OS County Series (Lan 5)

County Series maps of Great Britain, scales 6 and 25 inches to 1 mile, published by the Ordnance Survey, Southampton, Hampshire, from about 1863 to 1948.
Quaker's Meeting House
at Town End
date:- 1847=1851
period:- 19th century, late; 1840s; 1850s

old map:- Backhouse 1773

Map of the Meetings belonging to the Quarterly Meetings of Lancaster, Westmorland, Cumberland, Northumberland, Durham and York, scale about 9 miles to 1 inch, by James Backhouse, engraved by Thomas Kitchin, published by James Backhouse, Darlington, Durham, 1773.
thumbnail BKH2Swrt, button to large image
labelled:-
Hawkshead / 2.5
meeting day Thursday
nearby market day Monday

other name:- Hawkshead meeting
locality:- Hawkshead
locality:- Swarthmore
county:- Lancashire
date:- 1773
period:- 18th century, late; 1770s

source:- see:- : : Quaker Administrative History

COLTHOUSE, Hawkshead, Lancs, after 1974 Cumbr ... SD359982
1668- ... Swarthmore MM
HAWKSHEAD (COLTHOUSE), Lancs, after 1974 Cumbr ... see COLTHOUSE, HAWKSHEAD

placename:- Colthouse Meeting House
other name:- Hawkshead Meeting House
locality:- Swarthmore Monthly Meeting
coordinates:- SD359982

drawing:- Butler 1978

courtesy of David Butler
Quaker Meeting Houses of the Lake Counties by David M Butler, published by the Friends Historical Society, 1978; ISBN 0 85245 128 8 (pbk)
thumbnail PR1536, button to large image
thumbnail PR1537, button to large image
thumbnail PR1538, button to large image

placename:- Colthouse Meeting House
locality:- Swarthmore Monthly Meeting
date:- 1978
period:- 1970s

database:- Listed Buildings 2010

Listed Buildings 2010

courtesy of English Heritage
FRIENDS' MEETING HOUSE / / / CLAIFE / SOUTH LAKELAND / CUMBRIA / II[star] / 76732 / SD3588798174
courtesy of English Heritage
Meeting house. 1688 with later alterations. Roughcast with some slate hanging and slate roof. 3 bays, the 3rd bay with lst floor, and low wing to right return. 1st 2 bays have tall sashed windows with glazing bars, inserted in 1790. 3rd bay has window with small-paned fixed glazing and opening pane under dripcourse; sashed window above. Large gabled porch has segmental-arched opening with 2-light casement above, with leaded glazing. Gable-end stack and small wing with C20 door and casement. Left return has 2 double-chamfered cross-mullion windows under label mould with slate hanging over, and roughcast apex. Rear has one 3-light double-chamfered mullioned window with transom to 1st bay. Interior: Porch has wide-boarded doors with wood locks and strap hinges to meeting room and schoolroom. To left, hat pegs; to right wide-boarded doors with H-L hinges, one to stair. Meeting room has beams with stepped stops and fielded panelling and possibly later dais. Partition to schoolroom with balustrade to gallery above; upper panels can be slid up to screen off gallery. Schoolroom has fielded panelling and fixed benches; upper panels to partition can be lifted up to open room into meeting room. Small stone fireplace. Winding stair to gallery has plank and muntin panelling. .
district:- South Lakeland
listed building
coordinates:- SD35889817
date:- 2010
period:- 2010s

database:- Listed Buildings 2010

Listed Buildings 2010

courtesy of English Heritage
QUAKER BURIAL GROUND WALLS / / / CLAIFE / SOUTH LAKELAND / CUMBRIA / II / 76736 / SD3586498052
courtesy of English Heritage
Burial ground walls. 1658 with later extensions to south, now enclosing area approx 15m x 40m. Stone rubble walls to 4 sides, with entrance to north. Inner face of north wall has stone benches; remains of similar benches to inner face of east wall to north end. Entrance has stone lintel with slate dripcourse and C20 paired doors. Land bought in 1658; indenture describing burial ground dated 1669. This is a very early example of a burial ground of the Society of Friends.
district:- South Lakeland
listed building
coordinates:- SD35869805
date:- 2010
period:- 2010s

photographs
tiny photograph, 
button to large meeting house, Colthouse -- Colthouse -- Claife -- Cumbria / -- Burial ground nearby, -- SD35859805 (at) -- 30.3.2010
tiny photograph, 
button to large meeting house, Colthouse -- Colthouse -- Claife -- Cumbria / -- 30.3.2010

hearsay The quaker meeting house was built 1688, before the Toleration Act 1689. Earlier meetings were held in secret, sometimes in the quaker burial ground which was begun in 1658.
The burial ground is up the road on the left. At first there were no headstones of any sort. From later in the 18th century simple round grave markers were used, inscribed with just a name and date.

Old Cumbria Gazetteer - JandMN: 2013

button to lakes menu  Lakes Guides menu.

©  Martin and Jean Norgate: 2014
mailto button  email:- JandMN@norgate.freeserve.co.uk
button, online connection  Other projects

button, online connection  Geography Department, Portsmouth University