button to main menu   Old Cumbria Gazetteer
placename:- St Anne's Church
other name:- Ambleside Church
locality:- Ambleside
parish Lakes parish, once in Westmorland
county:- Cumbria
church; building/s
coordinates:- NY37750467
10Km square:- NY30

1Km square NY3704

photograph

St Anne's Church -- Ambleside -- Lakes -- Cumbria / -- 21.7.2008
photograph

St Anne's Church -- Ambleside -- Lakes -- Cumbria / -- 29.1.2010 -- Stained glass with picture of this and the new St Mary's Church; in St Mary's.

source:- Martineau 1855

Guide book, A Complete Guide to the English Lakes, by Harriet Martineau, published by John Garnett, Windermere, Westmorland, and by Whittaker and Co, London, 1855; published 1855-71.
Page 41:-
... The old church, though not beautiful, is suitable to the position, and venerable by its ancient aspect. It is abundantly large enough for the place, except for a few weeks in summer: but its burial ground, inclosed by
Page 42:-
roads on three sides, has for many years been over-crowded. Ten years ago, the state of the churchyard, and the health of the people who lived near it, was such as to make the opening of a new burial-ground a pressing matter; and hence, no doubt, arose the new church, though a larger and more beautiful cemetery might easily have been formed in the neighbourhood.
date:- 1855
period:- 19th century, late; 1850s

old map:- Garnett 1850s-60s H

Map of the English Lakes, scale about 3.5 miles to 1 inch, published by John Garnett, Windermere, Westmorland, 1850s-60s.
thumbnail GAR2NY30, button to large image
notice two crosses, the old and new churches
date:- 1850=1869
period:- 19th century, late; 1850s; 1860s

descriptive text:- Ford 1839 (3rd edn 1843)

Description of Scenery in the Lake District, by William Ford, published by Charles Thurnham, London, et al, 1839; published 1839-52.
Page 33:-
[Ambleside] ... The chapel, standing at the north end of the town, on an elevated station, was rebuilt in 1822, by a rate; it had been made parochial in 1675, by the Bishop of Chester. ...
date:- 1839
period:- 19th century, early; 1830s

old text:- Clarke 1787

Guide book, A Survey of the Lakes of Cumberland, Westmorland, and Lancashire, by James Clarke, Penrith, Cumberland, and in London etc, 1787 and 1789; and Plans of the Lakes ... 1793.
Page 132:-
...
... The chapel is a low mean building, and stands in the parish of Grassmere; the inhabitants, (who are land owners,) as well those in the parish of Winandermere as those in the parish of Grassmere, have the right of nominating and presenting the curate. The rector of Grassmere, usually nominated the Curate, but the inhabitants of this and many other perpetual curacies in the North, have, by custom, gotten it from the rectors or vicars: the reason is this; before the death of Queen Anne, many of the chapelries were not worth above three pounds a year, and the donees could not get person properly qualified to serve them; so they left them to the inhabitants, who raised voluntary contributions for them in addition to their salary, with cloathes yearly and whittle-gate.
date:- 1787
period:- 18th century, late; 1780s

old map:- Jefferys 1770 (Wmd)

Map, The County of Westmoreland, scale about 1 inch to 1 mile, surveyed by J Ainslie and perhaps T Donald, engraved and published by Thomas Jefferys, London, 1770.
thumbnail J5NY30NE, button to large image
church
county:- Westmorland
date:- 1770
period:- 18th century, late; 1770s

old print:- Green 1821

thumbnail GN0229, button to large image
Print, soft ground etching, Ambleside Church, by William Green, published at Ambleside, Westmorland, 1821.
Plate 29 in Thirty Six Etchings from Nature.
This is St Anne's Church.
printed at upper left:-
29
printed at bottom:-
AMBLESIDE CHURCH. / Etched from Nature by William Green, and Published at Ambleside, May 1, 1821.

placename:- Ambleside Church
date:- 1821
period:- 19th century, early

old print:- Green 1821

thumbnail GN0226, button to large image
Print, soft ground etching, Ambleside Church and How Head, by William Green, published at Ambleside, Westmorland, 1821.
Plate 26 in Thirty Six Etchings from Nature.
This is St Anne's Church.
printed at upper left:-
26
printed at bottom:-
AMBLESIDE CHURCH and HOW HEAD. / Etched from Nature by William Green, and Published at Ambleside, May 1, 1821.

placename:- Ambleside Church
date:- 1821
period:- 19th century, early

old drawing:-
thumbnail PR1400, button to large image
Drawing, Ambleside Church, St Anne's Church, Ambleside, Westmorland, by William Havell, 1800s-10s.
View of Ambleside Church in wooded setting with hills in background. One of a set of twenty views of the lake district executed by the artist on one sheet of paper.
at bottom:-
Ambleside Church

placename:- Ambleside Church
date:- 1800=1819
period:- 19th century, early

database:- Listed Buildings 2010

courtesy of English Heritage
CHAPEL HILL HOUSE / / CHAPEL HILL / LAKES / SOUTH LAKELAND / CUMBRIA / II / 450582 / NY3778704694

placename:- Chapel Hill House
district:- South Lakeland
listed building
coordinates:- NY37780469
date:- 2010
period:- 2010s

The church had one bell in a bell cote, 1692, known to be cracked by 1798. A later bell, in the tower of the 1812 church, was inscribed:-
Preston & Ross, Liverpool, 1846
This fell when the tower was damaged by fire in 1947. It was sent to St Andrew's Church, Whitehaven, in 1956.
Handley, Diana: 1983: Notes on Furness Branch Bells

photographs
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Anne's Church -- Ambleside -- Lakes -- Cumbria / -- Gravestone of John Kelsick, died 1723. -- 21.7.2008
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Anne's Church -- Ambleside -- Lakes -- Cumbria / -- Gravestone of John Kelsick, died 1723. -- 21.7.2008

hearsay Firstly a chapel of ease attached to Grasmere, made parochial in 1675. Rebuilt, having been described as mean, decayed and damp, 1812 or 1822. Replaced by St Mary's Church 1854. It became the parish hall 1943; was sold off for development as houses 1970s.
The churchyard is still owned by the church and has the grave of John Kelsick who left his fortune for the education of children in Ambleside.

button   ring of bells, Ings
button   sundial, Hallthwaites
button   war memorial, Thwaites

Old Cumbria Gazetteer - JandMN: 2013

button to lakes menu  Lakes Guides menu.

©  Martin and Jean Norgate: 2014
mailto button  email:- JandMN@norgate.freeserve.co.uk
button, online connection  Other projects

button, online connection  Geography Department, Portsmouth University